SNAIL Division 4 - December 2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3 throttles d/l to 25mbps unless they changed it with a recent update. It's all about the ping anyway. You can run GT6 on a 4up/.5down without issues if the ping is good and you're hardwired. There isn't much information exchanged when racing on GT6 so bandwidth is far less important than ping.

Actually i just called in today about the upload being a bit slow and they recently upgraded it. now I'm getting 10mbps :) In order for me to have it they had to reset my modem. i think 10 is more then enough Upload. And download all you really need is 40mbps for no issues. assuming that your not sharing the connection with too many others in the house. View attachment 492263
I usually reset my modem every Sunday night at about 8:30 and turn off my computer.

I tried various servers near and far the result is basically the same everywhere. It's just the ping that varies.

This one to San Francisco
4916062801.png

And this one to our Host @Die_Birdy_Die 's backyard
4916096774.png

PS3 is hard wired

Last edited:
I will try this tomorrow, but I can tell you I am hardwired and capped to 5mbps upload and am usually flatlined there regardless of time of day. Downloads are advertised at 60mbps and typically see 40+ with the built in ps3 speed test. I didn't experience any problems of not seeing other racers, if that means anything. Notice how ping is affected by distance? Not much you can do about that even on a good day.

I tried various servers near and far the result is basically the same everywhere. It's just the ping that varies.

This one to San Francisco
4916062801.png

And this one to our Host @Die_Birdy_Die 's backyard
4916096774.png

PS3 is hard wired
I think the sad part is your rogers is no faster then my bell.(You may want to check your download looks off to me)

If you're ignite 30 you should be 30D and 5U. If you're ignite 60 you should be 60D 10U Rogers doesn't even offer 20D

I think the sad part is your rogers is no faster then my bell.(You may want to check your download looks off to me)

If you're ignite 30 you should be 30D and 5U. If you're ignite 60 you should be 60D 10U Rogers doesn't even offer 20D

I got the upgrade to ignite 60 however the wifi modem that came with it wasn't compatible with online gaming on PS3 and PS4. I got blazingly fast upload and download speeds but as soon as I stepped on track in GT6 the lobby server disconnected me. The same happened to my son on his PS4. He got disconnected as soon as he started playing an online game.

I spent countless hours with Rogers on the phone (even missed a race night). In the end I had them turn off the routing on the modem and connected it to my previous router. That solved the problem but as you can see I had to sacrifice speed. What we won't do just to play GT6!

We all want to have a great night racing and no issues with connections and crap like that. Not one Snail wants that, I'm sure. So if you can take the time to post something on the thread, you have time to post your Speedtest.

It's not just about figuring out who should host because it may not be who hosting. It might be someone else and that's why @JLBowler is asking for everyone to post your Speedtest so we all can figure it out and solve the problem. I don't think that is asking much from anyone.

I really don't like it when someone demeans some else by saying they're throwing a hissy fit when we are trying to solve a BIG PROBLEM. That's very negative and detrimental to everyone in the division and Snail in general. Keep your personal opinions like that to a PM to that person and LETS SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. It amazes me how anyone can post insignificant drivel like that instead of using that time to post something helpful.
Also, lets stop always using the default reason for the connection issues on Sony and the game server. It's getting pretty old.

Here's some info regarding Latency (Ping) and online gaming in general. I thought it was interesting that upload speed might also cause an issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latency is the delay (ping time) in milliseconds that it takes the signal to travel to the server and back. The lower the number the better, but you'll definitely want a ping time of under 120 ms or you'll have major problems with online gaming. Ideally you want less than 75 ms ping to the gaming server.

Ping time depends on distance and number of connections. Your connection may have to be routed through 15 or 20 hops (different locations) to reach the gaming server. Each server has a delay (latency) due to the distances that the signals must travel. Try to choose a closer gaming server to lower your ping time.

Upload speed also plays a factor in updating your player position data to the gaming server. Slow upload speeds can cause your online game to lag . The faster the better, but at least 0.5 Mbps would be my minimum recommendation.

Wireless connections are not good for systems used for online gaming. Wireless signals are affected by many factors including wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

Wireless connections also experience overhead involved in the transfer such as the encryption and decryption of the data used for wireless security.Your latency (ping) may be 30 ms and wireless interference could cause it to spike to 200 ms or more.

Your best bet is to use a Ethernet connection between your PC or game console and the router.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latency is the delay (ping time) in milliseconds that it takes the signal to travel to the server and back. The lower the number the better, but you'll definitely want a ping time of under 120 ms or you'll have major problems with online gaming. Ideally you want less than 75 ms ping to the gaming server.

Ping time depends on distance and number of connections. Your connection may have to be routed through 15 or 20 hops (different locations) to reach the gaming server. Each server has a delay (latency) due to the distances that the signals must travel. Try to choose a closer gaming server to lower your ping time.

Upload speed also plays a factor in updating your player position data to the gaming server. Slow upload speeds can cause your online game to lag . The faster the better, but at least 0.5 Mbps would be my minimum recommendation.

Wireless connections are not good for systems used for online gaming. Wireless signals are affected by many factors including wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

Wireless connections also experience overhead involved in the transfer such as the encryption and decryption of the data used for wireless security.Your latency (ping) may be 30 ms and wireless interference could cause it to spike to 200 ms or more.

Your best bet is to use a Ethernet connection between your PC or game console and the router.
I'll get to the main point of your post with, also don't forget it's Christmas time internet is busier, netflixs is busier, connections even out side of GT6 are busier slowing GT6 down. Remember you still have to go host to host just to get to where it is your going. Ex: I email you it's an email from me to you but how many points is it hitting just to get there.

I'll leave the first part out because I said what it is I had and to say and still won't post yet again my speed test showing the exact same thing as the last time it was demanded of me. There are more factor playing on our Sunday night then anything we will be able to "fix".

I've seen some decent connection speeds. Does anyone want to volunteer to be our new fixed host?

D6 was having terrible issues a few months ago. Everyone was willing to post speed tests to try to figure out how they could allow their Sunday night to run smoother. JLB isn't demanding it of anyone he asked us to do it. Most already have others said they are going to post results. I don't understand why you refuse and yet are willing to call out others on their tests.

Once D6 has posted their results and they settled on a fixed host the issues became few and far between. In a test room for them the fixed host allowed 12 racers to run seamlessly. With anything over that causing the slightest bit of lag but nothing game breaking. Even with 14 racers on track there were no invisible cars. It is night and day from where they came from to where they are today.

I am not going to be willing any longer to change rooms 3 and 4 times in a night. Or restart qualifiers 3 times for a racer who can't load in a track(no offence DP). I guess what I am saying is that if we can't get everyone on the same page and get this figured out. I most likely won't be racing on Sunday's anymore.

It shouldn't take us an hour to run the first combo. And a total of two hours and forty five minutes to finish the night. It is as JLB pointed garbage. JLB wasn't rude in the way he left the room, IMO. Had I known the room(s) were going to be for lack of a better term a gong-show I too would have retired before the start of the first combo.

4917372746.png

4917382342.png

My PING is pretty bad. But most of y'all live in CA, I live in VA. Only thing is, I don't get much lag from y'all at all. TBH, I've had the least amount of issues with the rooms that SNAIL run. I don't know why my download speed jumped so drastically though. Seems my biggest issue is my PING.

EDIT: I did a 3rd test and my PING changed entirely.

4917394501.png

This one is my connection speed to NJ

4917401049.png

Last edited:
D6 was having terrible issues a few months ago. Everyone was willing to post speed tests to try to figure out how they could allow their Sunday night to run smoother. JLB isn't demanding it of anyone he asked us to do it. Most already have others said they are going to post results. I don't understand why you refuse and yet are willing to call out others on their tests.

I completely agree with this. At this point we aren't trying to point fingers we all simply want to fix the problems that we all agree are unacceptable. Not getting 100% transparency from everyone involved i.e.: div4 racers. Makes no sense. And is counterproductive on every level. Everyone one of us needs to be on board to solve this problem. Please, everyone post your speed tests.

So I tried to get on speed test through the ps3 browser and said it needs adobe and java updated, yet the adobe site said the latest version is loaded. Should I just do this through pc?

So I tried to get on speed test through the ps3 browser and said it needs adobe and java updated, yet the adobe site said the latest version is loaded. Should I just do this through pc?

You can't run the test through PS3 you have to do it on the PC if you want to publish it in the forum here. If you have a laptop that works best as you can use the same cat5 that you plug into your PS3. Any pc in the house will work however provided it's connected to a hardline (cat5 Ethernet)

testWaynesboroVerginia.png
testRIO.png
testjacksonvilleflorida.png
testCalgary.png
testVancouverBC.png
testDallasTexas.png
testGreaterSudbury.png
testLosAngeles.png
testNewYork.png

Here are my official tests across northAmerica or at least in area's that are relevant. Rio tests were not very good the one here was the best one i was able to get i ran 3 different ones for Rio. Florida was also hit and miss Better but when it was bad it was horrible. The rest seem decent. Does anyone know what an acceptable ping rate is Obviously 20-30 is good. is 60-70 still doable for GT6 racing?

How do you tell it which server to use?

I don't think it really matters to be honest. If you get a really bad ping from one try another in that area. Im not sure how it works when you have your signal traveling through an area. If it gets rerouted to the best signal or service or if your allocated to one zone regardless of quality. I suspect its a lot like here. Where companies offer a service and you test your modem against there hardware infrastructure. I think it might also depend on who your connecting with down there and what service they are signed up too...alot of questions (the more i think about it)

How do you tell it which server to use?

Try to run a few though DP. I get pretty consistent numbers all across North America, the ping varies a little bit. I believe the only trouble we may have is with Flip being in Rio. With that said though I normally don't have issues with his connection. I actually can't recall me, personally ever having issues with his connection. I am sure JLB will be able to shine a better light onto the situation though.

Once D6 has posted their results and they settled on a fixed host the issues became few and far between. In a test room for them the fixed host allowed 12 racers to run seamlessly. With anything over that causing the slightest bit of lag but nothing game breaking. Even with 14 racers on track there were no invisible cars. It is night and day from where they came from to where they are today.

I am not going to be willing any longer to change rooms 3 and 4 times in a night. Or restart qualifiers 3 times for a racer who can't load in a track(no offence DP). I guess what I am saying is that if we can't get everyone on the same page and get this figured out. I most likely won't be racing on Sunday's anymore.

It shouldn't take us an hour to run the first combo. And a total of two hours and forty five minutes to finish the night. It is as JLB pointed garbage. JLB wasn't rude in the way he left the room, IMO. Had I known the room(s) were going to be for lack of a better term a gong-show I too would have retired before the start of the first combo.
My test was done 2 months ago the last time it was asked of me it was 25/10 and I do my test all the time.

Now as for bowler not being demanding! how about you look at the time stamps on the 2 posts that brought this whole thing into being. The first one was at 9:50pm Sunday night, the second was 12:30 the same night. Hmmm seems a little demanding to me especially since 7 of us were just finishing racing. I know this because I had just finished loading replays when the second post came through.

I would have posted my speed test when I saw the first post but kept on reading through the nights posts and decided **** it! He wants to come in to a room in the middle of a fix then bitch that he can't see some one not even attempt to fix it then leave! Screw him.

So you want me to run fixed host, sorry I haven't been approved by snail to run fixed host. Some one wants to host go for it, take it. My speed is known and the problems are known.

As for how long it took to run the night we were done by 12:15 which isn't bad for the time of year and the problems we had. Remember not all the problems were do to server error some were do to human error (me getting stuck in the loading screen and major forgetting to set the room)or straight up peoples games not cooperating (penguin at spa)

So like I said before, ***** gonna happen relax, enjoy each other and have fun!

My test was done 2 months ago the last time it was asked of me it was 25/10 and I do my test all the time.

Birdy come on man, why are you making this into something it's not. We are trying to find a fix if you test all the time then post your tests the more you avoid it the more everyone is going to think your the problem. There were multiple issues sunday night. But they all stem from this issue we are currently trying to resolve. Your being stubborn and the whole division pays for it in the end.

take your own advice relax, enjoy each other and have fun. and while were at it lets improve sunday night racing and fix this problem. please.

Your ping is going to play a huge role in what happens throughout the night. Just because you have 25/10 doesn't mean your connection is good.

So there were 7 racers finishing up racing. We are in a division with 18 drivers. That leaves 11 people who could have started posting results.

Bowler entered the first room and Flip and him couldn't see each other. In the second room it was the same. How many different rooms do we have to try? He did as he was asked by the host which was you. He waited and loaded into a room slowly rather than in free for all mode. He tried to make it work. Last week we had the same issues just with different drivers in this case we dragged ass too! We need to do see thing to fix it not beat around the bush and blame Sony and PD. Its our connections that are the issue.

Knowing that Penguins game wasn't cooperating why did we run the qualifier 3 times in attempt to get him into the race? That added unnecessary time on to the evening which was already screwed up.

I agree crap is going to happen. When it's the same crap every week and we don't try to do something to fix it we are just being silly.

Your ping is going to play a huge role in what happens throughout the night. Just because you have 25/10 doesn't mean your connection is good.

So there were 7 racers finishing up racing. We are in a division with 18 drivers. That leaves 11 people who could have started posting results.

Bowler entered the first room and Flip and him couldn't see each other. In the second room it was the same. How many different rooms do we have to try? He did as he was asked by the host which was you. He waited and loaded into a room slowly rather than in free for all mode. He tried to make it work. Last week we had the same issues just with different drivers in this case we dragged ass too! We need to do see thing to fix it not beat around the bush and blame Sony and PD. Its our connections that are the issue.

Knowing that Penguins game wasn't cooperating why did we run the qualifier 3 times in attempt to get him into the race? That added unnecessary time on to the evening which was already screwed up.

I agree crap is going to happen. When it's the same crap every week and we don't try to do something to fix it we are just being silly.
Bowler wasn't in the first room he joined the second room at 9:55 the same time that flip was joining hmmm 2 people joining at the same time? issue for them .. maybe.

As for penguin he thought he had the issue fixed as did I he ran practice Thursday. Also look at the rules when someone DC's they have 5 minutes to attempt to fix the issue.

Since you're calling me out:
As far south west as I can go http://www.speedtest.net/result/4918263452.png
as far south east as i can go http://www.speedtest.net/result/4918269843.png

Last edited:
Bowler was in the first room he joined shortly after I did. Flip was already in the room when I joined. So it's not an issue of both of them attempting to load in at once. At least for the first room. I don't know what happened in the second room as we were loading indivially atleast until too room 1 crashed.

So if a racer continually disconnects during qualifying are you going to run qualifying 100 times to see if they can finally get in? I could understand restarting the first time because you didn't wait the 5 minutes to see if he can rejoin. The next 2 times were unnecessary. I am not taking a stab at DP over this. He has had issues with Spa for a while that he has documented. We do at some point throughout the evening look at what is best for the group though.(Once again sorry Penguin)

I wasn't calling you out. I just don't see what the benefit is of holding back the information that we need to attempt to resolve our issues.

Bowler was in the first room he joined shortly after I did. Flip was already in the room when I joined. So it's not an issue of both of them attempting to load in at once. At least for the first room. I don't know what happened in the second room as we were loading indivially atleast until too room 1 crashed.

So if a racer continually disconnects during qualifying are you going to run qualifying 100 times to see if they can finally get in? I could understand restarting the first time because you didn't wait the 5 minutes to see if he can rejoin. The next 2 times were unnecessary. I am not taking a stab at DP over this. He has had issues with Spa for a while that he has documented. We do at some point throughout the evening look at what is best for the group though.(Once again sorry Penguin)

I wasn't calling you out. I just don't see what the benefit is of holding back the information that we need to attempt to resolve our issues.
Double post I know...but different subject.
We have been easy on the rules this Sunday because we wanted all to race. However I did say at Spa after DP disconnected again that this is it...no more, we need to get through the night.

I think I was given extra chances due to it not being a connection issue. Unfortunately the issue I had required me to restart my PS3 and that caused it to do one of those system restore things. Took an extra few minutes. If someone messaged me on here saying that you were gonna start anyway I would've been okay with that. I wouldn't feel rushed and you could enjoy the race.

A racer has I believe it's 3 shots to attempt to enter a race. DP believed he had the issue resolved as did I. At the first DC I stated if penguin comes back online we will restart then started the race. After the second DC I cued up my mic when he came in the room and said "it's your call major". Leaving the decision up to him.

As for the rules I could careless really. I have no problem if people are out doing laps at 9pm, I have no problem restarting a race when someone shows up upto 5 minutes late, I have no problem restarting a race during Qualifying, I am here to race for the entire night whether it finishes at 11:00 pm or 5:00am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back