Snap oversteer correction

• Thread starter Langy71
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm on the Xbox series s and I have a problem with snap oversteer on a controller.is there some magic setting for controller users.
Regards

Personal opinion, don't use controller damping. I personally have more control having this on 0.

Also personal opinion again, have steering sensitivity at 50% this = 1:1 controller/steering input, so if I move my stick 50% the wheels turn 50%.

The rest they say is just practice.

I won't mention that I just won a fun/friendly championship using this method against 9 other drivers (some of them using steering wheels) with 10 random vehicles on 10 random tracks, oops (bragging rights) :lol:

Personal opinion, don't use controller damping. I personally have more control having this on 0.

Also personal opinion again, have steering sensitivity at 50% this = 1:1 controller/steering input, so if I move my stick 50% the wheels turn 50%.

The rest they say is just practice.

I won't mention that I just won a fun/friendly championship using this method against 9 other drivers (some of them using steering wheels) with 10 random vehicles on 10 random tracks, oops (bragging rights) :lol:
Thanks for that,I will try it at 50 sensitivity.
Regards

50 is great but I wouldn't start with it because it's very sensitive. You will love it later but it's not that cool for start. If you can handle it right now it's fine then.

Hi all I'm on the Xbox series s and I have a problem with snap oversteer on a controller.is there some magic setting for controller users.
Regards
If I understand snap oversteer correctly throttle sensitivity should help with it. Lower is probably slower reaction.

Speed Sensitivity at 75 -- this is the magic ingredient for oversteer control. With it set to 75, a full tilt of the stick should generally provide the full amount of countersteer necessary to correct oversteer without snap overcorrecting. Higher, and you will find yourself unable to countersteer as much as is needed. Lower, and you are likely to overcorrect. Strangely, this one value works across most classes.

Others have reached a consensus with me on that one. The rest is personal preference.

I prefer Controller Damping at 85, which helps a lot to smooth out small course corrections while being able to keep up with countersteer. I also set Steering Sensitivity (actually input linearity) at 10 to add a bit more stability and shift the input curve so that I can more comfortably navigate bends with partial input. Values lower than 50 make the steering less sensitive around center, and more sensitive at the ends. Vice versa for >50.

Values lower than 50 make the steering less sensitive around center, and more sensitive at the ends. Vice versa for >50.
So it's like steering linearity in other games? Makes sense to me because lower values were less sensitive - less sensitivity around center.

So it's like steering linearity in other games? Makes sense to me because lower values were less sensitive - less sensitivity around center.
Yep.

pcars2-ss-png.768325

Since a question been rise again, I'm still struggle with correcting low speed speed exits at some points and still don't understand in wich conditions.
Sometimes it catches my movement perfectly, other it steer locks on other side. It makes it very hard to heal it with a car set up, because I prefer lower pressures on front and if they cold, it happens like very often. What will smooth controller inputs on lower speeds, under 150kph, with speed sensitivity 100 and opposite lock off, and dampening at 0?
This problem kinda hasn't allowed me to enjoy PC1 even a little, but in PC2 it is doable, make no mistake - no troubles:). But on an exit where glued curb, open Power Coast, and too much speed it ends in disaster.

Since a question been rise again, I'm still struggle with correcting low speed speed exits at some points and still don't understand in wich conditions.
Sometimes it catches my movement perfectly, other it steer locks on other side. It makes it very hard to heal it with a car set up, because I prefer lower pressures on front and if they cold, it happens like very often. What will smooth controller inputs on lower speeds, under 150kph, with speed sensitivity 100 and opposite lock off, and dampening at 0?
This problem kinda hasn't allowed me to enjoy PC1 even a little, but in PC2 it is doable, make no mistake - no troubles:). But on an exit where glued curb, open Power Coast, and too much speed it ends in disaster.

Your thumb 👍 :lol:

Dropping the lsd pre load to 50 or 60 helps with power over curbs, however the downside of this is lift off oversteer, but that can then be tuned out by lowering the coast lsd & adding more clutches, but then if you add more clutches you may need to open up the power lsd a little more. It's a balancing act.

Last edited:
Your thumb 👍 :lol:

Dropping the lsd pre load to 50 or 60 helps with power over curbs, however the downside of this is lift off oversteer, but that can then be tuned out by lowering the coast lsd & adding more clutches, but then if you add more clutches you may need to open up the power lsd a little more. It's a balancing act.

I'll give it a go. Yeah, I know, problem mostly in controller specifics, and fingers limitations, but there must be a solution without messing with dampers. Can make a car eat all the movement, but it will be a tug and already tired it:).

I'll give it a go. Yeah, I know, problem mostly in controller specifics, and fingers limitations, but there must be a solution without messing with dampers. Can make a car eat all the movement, but it will be a tug and already tired it:).
I don't mean messing with car damper settings. I mean controller damping in the controller settings.

@Bloodytears -- Controller Damping will smooth inputs at all speeds, limiting the maximum rate of steering. A lower Steering Sensitivity setting will smooth lesser inputs, making it easier to input smaller amounts of countersteer.

Opposite Lock Help will shift the neutral stick position so that it represents a moderate amount of countersteer -- kind of analogous to relaxing your grip on a wheel, very helpful for twitchy cars, and not as intrusive as in PCARS3. I personally recommend it for PCARS2.

Without opposite lock helper (haven't tried yet), I like steering is the same speed as countersteering which is very intuitive to me. In Forza, countersteering is much faster which is usually what you need but it "doesn't" make sense to me. But it's necessary to have good speed on steering because of fast countersteers.

I personally don't use opposite lock assist (it's a control thing) but saying that I did try it out & noticed 1 thing about it.

1. It does help quite well if you don't know it's there, I had to turn off the visual wheel in cockpit because I found myself fighting it because I could see the wheel moving without my input which made things worse.

I don't use the visual wheel anyway (either controller or wheel) but hey testing is testing right so I tried it both ways.

Also @Bloodytears remember I posted this about twitchyness on the controller

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...w-on-ps4-xb1-pc.342814/page-386#post-13293869

So use helmet cam (but turn off all movement settings to match cockpit cam) disable the visual wheel if you want to.

Raise your fov (but then move your seat forward into the position you're used to) you should now find your input less twitchy but still have the same amount of control over your car as before (even with 0 damping)

Last edited:
I use visual wheel a lot because it's good for my start with sims. Maybe later I will remove it.

But I was thinking about linearity and changed gas/break to 50, because it should be the best I guess. My old tests thought it's like dampening but it didn't work, linearity makes much better sense.

For steering 50 is probably too much because slight corrections should be better with lower one. I am still not sure and play with values. Probably something between 40 and 50 will be good for me.

edit:
Currently I am playing PC2 and it looks like 50 in PC2 is different a bit than in PC1. I am not sure now.

Last edited:
@Bloodytears -- Controller Damping will smooth inputs at all speeds, limiting the maximum rate of steering. A lower Steering Sensitivity setting will smooth lesser inputs, making it easier to input smaller amounts of countersteer.

Opposite Lock Help will shift the neutral stick position so that it represents a moderate amount of countersteer -- kind of analogous to relaxing your grip on a wheel, very helpful for twitchy cars, and not as intrusive as in PCARS3. I personally recommend it for PCARS2.

So that means I need to play with a Steering Sensitivity to smooth low speed movement, but will it also damp down a current state of general handling, because settings now are perfect in any other way. Don't want to loose it.

OLH kinda feels useless, or at least personally can drive without it engaging at any extent, because turning it off didn't change anything in my experience.

@Johnnn There also 3 ways to represent all those values in PC1, so it is not the same for sure.

@Mr Grumpy If only I could drive in public lobbies with cockpit cam, but this is no go. Usually in those races I have to see every possible side to avoid all kind of threats all those people leaving to me. For a constructive racing it is a good choice, but when you not sure if guy near by going to hold his line, cut off, dive bomb, come straight from dirt etc. better use good old chase camera. Plus this isn't really changes anything on mechanical level, rather psychological trick.

Last edited:
Back