Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
And it’s well worth it imo! PC2 has improved a lot since it’s launch. It’s probably my favorite racing game of the PS4/XboxOne era. Nice choice of tracks & cars, makes for some really interesting races. Graphics are stunning too. So imo it’s 100% worth it for the full game + extras. :)👍
Been playing it regularly for 3 years and still @IfAndOr is introducing me the tracks I hadn't raced on yet and cars I didn't even know were in the game.

I have said it many times that there is no racing game this DEEP on a console

I have said it many times that there is no racing game this DEEP on a console
It's so DEEP I've bought it twice. I still run it on disk, but as a backup also bought the digital version. Wouldn't want to risk being without it for too long. :P

and still @IfAndOr is introducing me the tracks I hadn't raced on yet and cars I didn't even know were in the game.
It's so DEEP that I keep that I keep delving into the bottom of the box and finding new combinations.

What choice did you go for in the end @StephBambinho? Both the Ferrari and Porsche packs are good. Mugello, from the Ferrari, is a great track, fast and flowing. Fiorano is limited to Ferrari cars only so doesn't get full use - it's a bit narrow for racing as well. Leipzig (Porsche pack) can be used by everything, has a few variations and makes a good race track. So it comes down to which cars you like the most :)

If you two mention it's DEEP anymore I suggest you carry on with your conversation over on a different kind of forum.

I'm talking about ocean exploration ok :)

Joking aside, my new found love is racing in heavy fog & rain around 6am so the sun turns the fog an eerily orange colour through the rain, while not being able to see to far ahead only for the glow of brake lights. Call me strange but it looks wonderful & a absolute challenge to race in.

Last edited:
PC2, running in the Xbox Series S, out of an external hard drive and connected to a 5-year old,1080p 32 inch Vizio TV looks... stunning :eek:. As for performance, it boots faster, has quick resume available, the frame rate looks locked and I haven't seen screen tearing, so wow!

PC2, running in the Xbox Series S, out of an external hard drive and connected to a 5-year old,1080p 32 inch Vizio TV looks... stunning :eek:. As for performance, it boots faster, has quick resume available, the frame rate looks locked and I haven't seen screen tearing, so wow!
Anything half decent from last gen will look good squashed onto 32" even at 1080p, raise that to 55" or 65" & it becomes a whole different story. Although a 4k tv might upscale it a bit.

As for the screen tearing, even on the 1X in 1080p output mode with enhanced visuals you don't get it, it's only when you boost it to 4K hdr output mode with enhanced visuals or enhanced resolution you get it.

The ultimate test for PC2 is run a full grid of 32 cars in 4k hdr enhanced visuals mode on a compact track with lots of pit boxes, Imola/Nurburgring GP things like that (don't use Le-Mans or the 24hr Nurburgring) as the game hasn't got to worry about things out of sight.

Make sure you go from some form of cloud cover (for shadow purposes) to thunderstorm (for lighting purposes) with 60x time scale so the sun is moving fast across the sky casting all sorts at a fast pace.

Then when it starts raining and half the grid decides to pit for wet tyres at the same time, see if it starts to stutter or if it stays silky smooth.

Baring in mind the stuttering doesn't happen all the time, it's very random but this is one of the most taxing thing you can do to this game.

Last edited:
my new found love is racing in heavy fog & rain around 6am so the sun turns the fog an eerily orange colour through the rain, while not being able to see to far ahead only for the glow of brake lights.

My self confidence with this game is at an all time low but then you say this and it gets even lower.

I struggle to do adequately when conditions are perfect.

And, here you are daring yourself to race in the most difficult of conditions.

My self confidence with this game is at an all time low but then you say this and it gets even lower.

I suppose saying I'm doing this on a controller with all aids off isn't going to make you feel better :)

To be honest though I'm rarely successful, I just do it for the immersion & fun of it, regardless of winning or even finishing.

Last edited:

Try a good AWD car or FWD roadcar? The fundamental thing to keeping an AWD/FWD in line is just keeping the front wheels pointed where you want to go and (usually) getting on the throttle instead of the brakes when things go sideways. Without significant steering input, the car will just want to straighten out.

I think the Audi V8 DTM or any car in Road F would be my first recommendations. :)

If trouble only in stability it is simpler to just lower rear springs a lot, soften rear antiroll bars and put clutch LSD in tight locks, like over 100 preload, and 50, 50 ramps with 6 clutches. Then gradually build confidence with overseer, by loosing differential little by little.

If car still sudden oversteer, just lover rear dampers by 2 clicks or so.

Everything is adjustable, instead of making learning in broken car, better fix it and grow. Don't be afraid:). Someone's tunning from top youtube streamer with world record times might just not for your driving, or yet not.

Never forget that default set up are just that, they not optimal, not suites to anything, not factory recommended, just set ups SMS made. They could be fine, the same way could be worst possible for track and car combo.

Last edited:
Mr Grumpys did you know tips & tricks for PC2 :lol:

Did you know...

For those of us who use auto clutch either with a controller or wheel with a 2 pedal set, the clutch sensitivity can be a bit of help.

This is based on the the curvature of input, so 100% would be like dropping the clutch, whereas 0% is like riding the clutch.

Now this doesn't make a huge amount of difference but it's definitely not placebo & you can feel the difference between 0% & 100%.

At 0% you will slide a bit more under braking while changing down gears because it's not releasing the clutch quick enough, therefore losing traction & possible oversteer.

At 0% with acceleration when you floor it out of the corner afterwards it reduces wheel spin because once again you're riding the clutch which in turn can help with power oversteer but can cause power understeer.

Now with the clutch sensitivity at 100% it's the opposite (obviously) it can be good for braking stability as you retain traction because your off the clutch quickly utilising the grip of tyres more efficiently, this however can cause understeer under braking.

100% under acceleration is like dropping the clutch, can cause wheel spin & power oversteer but can help with cars that suffer understeer on throttle as tyre grip will pull you through the corner.

I've been fiddling with this for sometime now, with both types of default settings & there's definitely a small result with car behaviour by adjusting the clutch sensitivity.

Can help if you're running a race with car setups forbidden, but trust me people have a fiddle & see if it helps.

Last edited:
It's so DEEP I've bought it twice. I still run it on disk, but as a backup also bought the digital version. Wouldn't want to risk being without it for too long. :P

It's so DEEP that I keep that I keep delving into the bottom of the box and finding new combinations.

What choice did you go for in the end @StephBambinho? Both the Ferrari and Porsche packs are good. Mugello, from the Ferrari, is a great track, fast and flowing. Fiorano is limited to Ferrari cars only so doesn't get full use - it's a bit narrow for racing as well. Leipzig (Porsche pack) can be used by everything, has a few variations and makes a good race track. So it comes down to which cars you like the most :)

I went for the Porsche pack first, wanted to get my hands on the 917K. I'm currently running a 1971 6h of Rouens-Les-Essarts, starting at 2 AM, clear weather, light fog then heavy fog. It is nightmarish, when you lap a Mustang with no headlights, in the downhill towards the hairpin, at night in heavy fog... but how fun it is I can't describe.

I went for the Porsche pack first, wanted to get my hands on the 917K. I'm currently running a 1971 6h of Rouens-Les-Essarts, starting at 2 AM, clear weather, light fog then heavy fog. It is nightmarish, when you lap a Mustang with no headlights, in the downhill towards the hairpin, at night in heavy fog... but how fun it is I can't describe.
I hate the thin white curbs on that track, they're a car flipper if you hit them wrong.

And that is true for the AI as well. It was maybe 3 or 4 AM, I was chasing two Ferraris to climb on the podium and, coming into turn 2, saw a great smoke cloud and some headlights in the low ground. And suddenly I was up in 3rd position.
The AI do make a lot of mistakes on this track.

Did you know :lol:

Did you know the FOV settings & seat position is completely different when you turn off the driver/steering wheel animations, a FOV of 70 with animations on is completely different to a FOV of 70 with animations off, so something to think about when using the FOV calculator.

Also (for controller users) the higher the FOV the less twitchy your steering inputs are, even if you adjust your seat into identical positions. (lower fov = direct, higher fov = smoother)

Also again (for controller users) using exactly the same fov & camera settings) cockpit view has a slightly more direct steering input compared to helmet view which has a slightly smoother steering input, it's not much & not very noticeable but there's definitely a little difference.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to fix a camera glitch I've been having? The change camera/look back views will not respond no matter what key I bind them to. It happens the moment I start a 2nd session as the 1st works normally. I've reset my wheel settings and I've held the button down for several seconds, neither resolutions I've read online work.

Otherwise, I have to completely shut off the game & restart. :boggled:

Last edited:
Anyone know how to fix a camera glitch I've been having? The change camera/look back views will not respond no matter what key I bind them to. It happens the moment I start a 2nd session as the 1st works normally. I've reset my wheel settings and I've held the button down for several seconds, neither resolutions I've read online work.

Otherwise, I have to completely shut off the game & restart. :boggled:

I've had that happen as well, but I've never found a solution other than to restart. Or to start a new session and hope it fixes itself -- which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Fortunately it's just an occasional glitch for me. Happening constantly would drive me nuts. I can live without changing views, but look-back is pretty important and critical in cars without good mirrors.

Some people may feel desperate with Project Cars 2, and think that even a good advise will not help them to improve. But this is a reassurance, that something could be missed and someone here knows where to find it. Thanks @Mr Grumpy

You can see my races at start of the season and compare them to last one. Yeah, someone also could teach me some math, but help with set up was priceless.

I finally tried pCARS2 on my PS5 and the results were decent.
There are 3 modes to choose from (I'm guessing same for PS4 Pro?) but it looks like no matter which you choose the frame rate hits 60fps (I did not try rain or storm though). So even when choosing the resolution or graphics mode it'll still hit 60, therefore making the frame rate mode irrelevant.

On the plus side there were less jaggies to the car and track lines, but those trees.... they still look awful. Awful distracting shimmering on the horizon.

Oh and the driver hands and steering wheel appear to run at 30fps, or certainly less than 60. Looks very odd and just plain wrong compared to the rest of the graphics.

Other than that it's very solid and looks and performs far better than my old base PS4 ever did.

Last edited:
I suppose saying I'm doing this on a controller with all aids off isn't going to make you feel better :)

To be honest though I'm rarely successful, I just do it for the immersion & fun of it, regardless of winning or even finishing.

I started PC2 after some time on a controller and it's amazing. It's not about winning every race but I rather take some car on a track with weather and lapping around in a cockpit view. I had to disable FFB completely because it didn't work on Xbox. Do you use FFB? Still good because you need to know exactly what car does so FFB is not that important if you have sound.

Definitely very good game for XSX and a controller.

I started PC2 after some time on a controller and it's amazing. It's not about winning every race but I rather take some car on a track with weather and lapping around in a cockpit view. I had to disable FFB completely because it didn't work on Xbox. Do you use FFB? Still good because you need to know exactly what car does so FFB is not that important if you have sound.

Definitely very good game for XSX and a controller.
I use the controller 75% of the time & I'm actually quicker with it than using my wheel, I use the vibration on controller because the triggers vibrate when you get tyre slip either locking up brakes or wheel spinning
I use ffb when using my tx, although I'm partial to the immersive flavour as this seems to give me more feedback on what the tyres are doing, I don't care if this is a canned effect or not, it's what I like.

I use the controller 75% of the time & I'm actually quicker with it than using my wheel, I use the vibration on controller because the triggers vibrate when you get tyre slip either locking up brakes or wheel spinning
I use ffb when using my tx, although I'm partial to the immersive flavour as this seems to give me more feedback on what the tyres are doing, I don't care if this is a canned effect or not, it's what I like.
Wow, on what platform FFB works?

I think there's a bit of confusion here, you only get real ffb when using a wheel not a controller.

On a controller you only get rumble from the pad for going over curbs or crashing & vibration from the triggers (xbox only) when the tyres lock up or spin.

I have my vibration set to 50% in the controller settings.

Obviously this means nothing when using a wheel.

I presume you're on xbox?

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of confusion here, you only get real ffb when using a wheel not a controller.

On a controller you only get rumble from the pad for going over curbs or crashing & vibration from the triggers (xbox only) when the tyres lock up or spin.

I have my vibration set to 50% in the controller settings.

Obviously this means nothing when using a wheel.
Yeah, it's not real FFB but I guess if the game supports FFB you can easily use it for vibrations. The problem is AC1 has it all. I know exactly what the car does because the game tells me that. It's not necessary but it's better.

I've got AC & PC2 they feel exactly the same regarding rumble/vibration with a controller. If you crash the pad rumbles, if you lock up brakes the triggers vibrate. The strength of this is user defined within the settings. In no way shape or form is this the same as ffb from a wheel. If you're talking about how heavy the cars feel between the two games then again this is user defined within the controller settings (speed sensitivity or controller filtering/damping)

The ffb settings in either game mean nothing when using a controller, they're wheel settings only. Just like vibration settings are for the controller only, it does nothing when using a wheel.

Until they manage implement resistance in the controller sticks so it mimics the resistance of turning a wheel it's just rumble effects not ffb.

Sony has managed to put tactile resistance in the duel sense triggers, but that's all.

Last edited:
I don't think so but I could test it again, but if the thread exists something was really wrong with controllers in PC2. You don't need a wheel to feel everything on a controller.

I tested PC2 on a new account (my boost) so everything default and just switched off every assist and there's almost no feedback. You can't play on Xbox then.

Back