That I know of anyway. LOL

GT3%20sneak%20peak_zpsdlssd5mo.jpg

Along with this

porsche-gt3-r-hybrid-steering-wheel_zpsjcquszkj.jpg

And this

Dbox_zpsdl5xzjil.jpg

And Dual of these

GS4%20seat_zpsdqeevxqk.jpg

With a custom built one of these double the width and 1.5 times the height covering 230 degrees

Icarus_zpsqvdvupjd.jpg

More to come, project is finally flowing nicely. Once I have all parts fitted out, chassis goes in for paint.

Stay tuned its been a long road to this point

Last edited:
Thanks man. You can't see it, but the entire skeleton is 8020 aluminum. I could probably run into a brick wall at 50mph in this and survive. Very very stiff.

LOL

Yes, clutch and brake are in the hung position and gas is floor mounted.

The Accuforce wheel ended up being a perfect fit and in the correct position as the real Porsche wheel. Luck.

Last edited:
Great stuff :cheers:

Good to see the project is finally progressing. Love the rim you are planning, who's building it for you?

Just wondering, how are you gonna get 2 GS-4's to work with simcommander?

MayaMAZING!

So happy Mayaman to see you are accomplishing this...
It might of been a long road for you and no doubts required a great deal of planning, patience and resources.

Credit to you sir, for such passion, determination and brilliance the fact you have stuck it out and kept going makes you even more admirable in my books.

At least yours hasn't got written off, look forward to seeing more out of sheer adoration of your build.

A-TEAM (cue themetune)

Last edited:
I know it's tacky to discuss money, but... How many digits is your initial budget? That is if you don't mind me asking, of course! This is super exciting though and I'm not even on the same continent as this thing.

Great stuff :cheers:

Good to see the project is finally progressing. Love the rim you are planning, who's building it for you?

Just wondering, how are you gonna get 2 GS-4's to work with simcommander?

Sorry forgot to answer this. I've tested one GS4 but haven't tried 2 yet. If it doesn't work I'll just my Sparco seat in the passenger side. The wheel is being built by Stephen Spenceley. His work is great and he's one of the nicest people I've met in sim racing. please give him your business. The surround screen is being built custom by Tomas over at Simpit New Zealand. Great guy as well and bends over backwards for you.

Speechless mate, picks jaw up off the floor and tries to keep it from falling again. Bloody hell, awesome just awesome. Congrats

Cheers mate, AussieStig

Last edited:
Another FYI, this build started as a result of a certain sim racing hardware company not wanted to help me with a simple gauge pod. The rest is history.

I applaud the combination of technology and professionalism involved in it all. Followed many serious hobbyists with passion on the interwebs (in differing hobbies/builds) over the years but few to this kind of extreme.

No doubt it will be amazing in what it does. I love the extreme boyish, inner child adventure in it all too. As men we seek these things, challenges, adventure, bigger, louder, faster, taking something beyond what is just necessary. It's in our hearts as men and how we are created.

Thank you once again for sharing...

One part I struggle realising, not sure about others but appreciate if you can give some explanation Mayaman.
Just eager to get some of your thoughts on it all...

Trying to wrap my head around this but what I struggled to feel convinced with, in seeing previous "car interior builds" is how the realistic car interior marries with different games, cars and views used?

Effectively if your sitting in a "Real Porsche Car", for a player how does the immersion of that "interior" combine or even clash with sim realism being projected when your playing different types of motor-sports and potentially hundreds of different of L/R or single seater cars?

I applaud the 2 seater integration, think this would be brilliant with friends but potentially even more-so with it's motion platform and dual VR headsets. I have no doubts you will go the VR route too, heck having both options would be bliss. This way with VR the "car interior" is maintained as a piece of really cool themed furniture but cannot interfere with the added realism the VR immersion will bring.

Last edited:
I have another simulator with 3 projectors, G seat, etc for in car views, G1, and that simulator is also setup for VR with Oculus. So I have that covered.

This simulator is meant for exterior track view only! There are a couple of 100,000 dollar simulators out there, one of them in the UK, that I decided I could do for a quarter of the cost and do it better.

The immersion of this setup will be evident when you watch the Youtube video. Also, mine has bull 4x Dbox motion, which their simulator does not have.

My simulator will be better than that.

So I have a simulator for VR, one with triple projectors and motion for interior views and then this simulator for ****ing around.

I have nothing else in my life to do so why not. In my opinion, that video showcases the advantages of having a full cockpit with large format projection.

Great questions by the way. Very valid. I don't only have one simulator. If I only had one I would definately not build this, as its too limited in the types of cars you can race in. This is more of an exercise in "Can I do this". And so far, I can. We'll see how the final project turns out.

Sim Racers find a way *Richard Hammond*

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, it makes more sense now. I guess its not to be seen like a typical users cockpit and being relied on for all situations. As you point out, it's designed more for a "specific experience" and building such as a personal hobby challenge.

Last question, did you opt for fixed screens or moving with motion platform?

Cruden Hexatech 6 Dof is fun but not worth about £90,000 (local karting place had one)
Think its what RedBulls F1 sim uses and Ferrari World have in Dubai.

Last edited:
The screens shouldn't move in a simulator like mine since only the scenery is being projected, only the car should move, which it does. :)

That Cruden works on a different principal than my simulator. That simulator is still projecting a cockpit and is trying to give you immersion but fails as the FOV is crap. The Cruden in my opinion should only be used with VR, that way you can't see the outside world like the ceiling, floor, people. All of that breaks immersion.

My simulator screen setup is in the first post. The Icarus display system I have is custom made. While the photo I posted shows the 180 degree one person setup. Mine is substantially larger and covers 230 degrees. you won't see anything but track while in the cockpit. Mimicking what is in the first video I posted.

This cockpit concept isn't just eye candy for when you're looking at it from the outside. Its for being inside a real cockpit, and not seeing ANY of the outside world except the screen and the scenery being projected on it. Thats the point.

You don't get that with the Cruden, or SFOV or anything outside of VR, which has a limited FOV of 100 degress and makes it feel like you have a scuba mask on.

The screens shouldn't move in a simulator like mine since only the scenery is being projected, only the car should move, which it does. :)

That Cruden works on a different principal than my simulator. That simulator is still projecting a cockpit and is trying to give you immersion but fails as the FOV is crap. The Cruden in my opinion should only be used with VR, that way you can't see the outside world like the ceiling, floor, people. All of that breaks immersion.

My simulator screen setup is in the first post. The Icarus display system I have is custom made. While the photo I posted shows the 180 degree one person setup. Mine is substantially larger and covers 230 degrees. you won't see anything but track while in the cockpit. Mimicking what is in the first video I posted.

This cockpit concept isn't just eye candy for when you're looking at it from the outside. Its for being inside a real cockpit, and not seeing ANY of the outside world except the screen and the scenery being projected on it. Thats the point.

You don't get that with the Cruden, or SFOV or anything outside of VR, which has a limited FOV of 100 degress and makes it feel like you have a scuba mask on.

Great info thanks...
Shows how much thought and research you have put into it, providing games can support or be tweaked to accommodate the 230 degrees really does sound awesome.

Like something you'd see at E3

Yeah, I was going to ask about cars with alternate constitutions such as right hand drive. Regardless of anything else, the hit boxes would have been way out of whack. Sometimes more is more though, and you've certainly got it covered.

With VR, you're in the same boat as the rest of us, having the trouble of gearstick/handbrake/etc. placement. Though I have been wondering if devs may consider implementing the possibility of mirroring cars to suit left/right drive orienting (sacrilege for some I'm sure).

Was laughing at the Will Dendy video - him being surrounded by many big and wondrous things, and harping on about those dash lights over and over.

Actually right hand drive, or left hand drive is irrelevant, remember, no dash is projected, only the scenery, in that view the car is the same width, it doesn't matter what hand drive it is in non dash view as the view is centered on the car, not the driver.

I know its a difficult concept to grasp, but my tests have shown me that the left or right hand drive, in an exterior car view is irrelevant.

The view in a "bumper cam" is always center line of the vehicle.

Actually right hand drive, or left hand drive is irrelevant, remember, no dash is projected, only the scenery, in that view the car is the same width, it doesn't matter what hand drive it is in non dash view as the view is centered on the car, not the driver.

Ah yes, gotcha. So as long as the hit boxes align reasonably closely with the physical car it's fine. Seating position being arbitrary.

Yeah, I was going to ask about cars with alternate constitutions such as right hand drive. Regardless of anything else, the hit boxes would have been way out of whack. Sometimes more is more though, and you've certainly got it covered.

With VR, you're in the same boat as the rest of us, having the trouble of gearstick/handbrake/etc. placement. Though I have been wondering if devs may consider implementing the possibility of mirroring cars to suit left/right drive orienting (sacrilege for some I'm sure).

Was laughing at the Will Dendy video - him being surrounded by many big and wondrous things, and harping on about those dash lights over and over.

I have a script for this as I am hoping to support rift once it gets implimented that will help relive that issue .. basically you need a Web camera aswell as well of a rift what happens is you will get a video feed of your surroundings as a picture in picture of the headset . . So in game you can reach switchs gears sticks wheels etc visually

Edit: i totally missed the point ... please disregard

Last edited:
I have a script for this as I am hoping to support rift once it gets implimented that will help relive that issue .. basically you need a Web camera aswell as well of a rift what happens is you will get a video feed of your surroundings as a picture in picture of the headset . . So in game you can reach switchs gears sticks wheels etc visually
Tell us more please.

Complete pedal assembly is in, button box built into Porsche center console going in today. Gear shift in. Headliner being put in tomorrow. I'll hopefully have some updated pics in a day. Waiting for my Icarus to arrive.

Mayaman, do you want to marry me?
Lol, every week I was checking this forum to see if you have some new updates and I'm happy to see you finally make it happen.

Last edited:
Complete pedal assembly is in, button box built into Porsche center console going in today. Gear shift in. Headliner being put in tomorrow. I'll hopefully have some updated pics in a day. Waiting for my Icarus to arrive.
Going great guns mate, I am very excited to see the updates, hope you post more pics soon, cheers, AussieStig

Back