So called "Double Posting"

• Thread starter nuu1212
  • 32 comments

nuu1212

(Banned)
Germany
Germany
Lately I get (partially angry, passive aggressive) mod notes about my "double posts" and sometimes one post gets deleted...

I do not mindlessly double post, rather if a new line of thought pops up in my head, I just post it.
If nobody else has posted in these say 10 min, I get edited by a moderator who thinks his job is to prevent double posting.
Please hire a decent programmer to make this automatic, rather than paying a moderator to manually edit...

To back up my line, here is
a quote from the Guidelines:

Double Posting

“Double posting” occurs when a user makes two consecutive posts, one after another. If this is done for no apparent reason, “double posting” is typically frowned upon and may result in a warning or infraction for “spam”.

However, double-posting is not forbidden, and can be useful in many cases. For example, if a reasonable amount of time has passed or you have significant information to add to the topic, present it in a new post so that others, including thread subscribers, are made aware of the update.

Just don't post twice in a row. It's not that hard of a concept. Instead of getting your panties in a wad over something as trivial as this, how about you actually listen to the moderators' warnings. Chances are they aren't angry or aggressive, more than likely you're reading into it too far.

The only situation in which double posting is useful is when long periods of time (several days, weeks, months, etc) has passed since the last post. Posting two messages in a row within the same few minutes is what the mods are referring to in their warnings.

I get edited by a moderator

This is actually the solution: editing. If nobody has posted since your last post, and it's only been a few minutes, just click the Edit button and add in the other thoughts. 👍

The FAQ is worded the way it is for situations like race series, where back-to-back posts may be needed for time-sensitive notifications (as just one example).

If nobody else has posted in these say 10 min, I get edited by a moderator who thinks his job is to prevent double posting.
Among other things, it is - where the double-posting is unnecessary.
Please hire a decent programmer
The site owner is also the site developer.
rather than paying a moderator to manually edit...
The staff are not paid.
To back up my line, here is a quote from the Guidelines:
Which says that if it is done for no apparent reason (with examples of good reasons given shortly afterwards; "a new line of thought pops up in my head" is not among them), it is frowned upon and may result in warnings or infractions... which you haven't received.

Instead a member of staff has been editing your posts so that they are no longer double-posts and leaving notifications reminding you that you should use the Edit or Quote functions to avoid double-posting.

Perhaps if you have received several of these, as your post indicated, it is worth heeding them?

Last edited:
New line of thought = new post.
Simple enough...
:cheers:

Side note: It it way beyond me why anyone (not paid for it) would care about such a simple thing:confused:

Simple enough...

Side note: It it way beyond me why anyone (not paid for it) would care about such a simple thing:confused:
Want to post here = follow the rules
Simple enough...
💡

Seems quite a bit is beyond you. Have you considered how much messier the place would look if the hundreds of thousands of members all double posted, how much more difficult it would be for us all to read the forums and how much more server space would be needed to store all the content posted hence increasing costs for those who run the site whilst we sit here blissfully unaware using this free resource. Maybe it's time you thought a little more?

Simple enough...

Well I do. And the reason is that putting every idea that you have into a separate post just makes an unreadable mess, and makes it difficult to follow the overall discussion.

I've been kicking around forums since they came into existence, and the rules here regarding double posting pretty much apply to all forums for the reasons I've given.

You're not just giving the mods work to do, you're also giving the other members a hard time as well.

So please just use the edit button - it makes things far more readable.

Last edited:
Simple enough...

Probably because they're mods/admin and help build and maintain the site with the site owner, thus not only do they take pride in making sure it runs smoothly they also are much easier to deal with when simple rules are followed. Why you think you're entitled when the rules are that simple, is beyond me. The fact you actively want to debate this when it's not up for it is even more hilariously sad. I'm not a mod, I follow the AUP and have read the FAQ and follow those guidelines as I've understood them and at times me and others who have posted here help newer members who are not following the same rules we all agreed to. I, nor they get paid and yet we still do it for the same reason I've already stated non-paid mods do it.

But hey if you want to keep questioning a system that has been operating in this form long before many of us have been here, and be combative about it... That's your choice, can't say it will bode well for you, but again your choice.

Also another simple reason to piggy back off of what @Slapped said, this isn't a discord chat. This a forum and in a forum you usually see people post a thought out block of text, then post it and if they feel the need to add to it, they post after others have posted or edit said post. You seem to be looking for a chat room. The only time double posting is acceptable here is when a decent length of time has passed and new important information to the thread topic is being injected.

Simple enough...

That is not a simple thing for admins and mods when it comes for determining the rules to shape this forum forward.

If people are allowed to deliberately double post without proper context for a short period of time, then people would just clog up the forum often for more than a double post. An example for "simple" thing goes awry.

Two choices:

1. Edit the post to add new thoughts
  2. Double post
Why choose 2. when you can easily choose for 1.?
Simple enough...

It is @Jordan's website so it's his rules. Follow his rules and all be fine.

Simple enough...

Because they care about the community and like to keep it tidy for the residents.

A better question is why do you not care about the tidiness? :confused:

Simple enough...

Because it keeps the forum looking tidy and easy to read for members, both old, new, and lurkers alike. Continue to double post under the guise of "New thought means new post" and it, and any others can be deleted at any moderator or administrator's discretion.

It's really not that big of a deal so I'm unsure why you're making it out to be one. Edit your posts if you have something to add and no one has responded in the meantime.

Someone on the site seems to have their own take on what is unnecessary double posting. When I reply to two different people regrading different points, not closely related to each other, I'll absolutely not put them in a single post, because they are separate unrelated thoughts.

Merging those posts actually makes readability of the topic worse. Those involved can't react to them properly, they have to cut out the parts relevant to them, or if they are not as tidy as me, they just leave both there, making a mess of the train of thought.

Believe me I'm not hunting for post count, when I make two separate responses I do it for a reason.
I'd appreciate if the overzealous mods doing this would find more productive ways to occupy their time, rather than "unnecessarily" merging posts.

m76
Someone on the site seems to have their own take on what is unnecessary double posting. When I reply to two different people regrading different points, not closely related to each other, I'll absolutely not put them in a single post, because they are separate unrelated thoughts.
Are you making two consecutive posts, one after the other? If so, it's double-posting.
GTPlanet FAQ
“Double posting” occurs when a user makes two consecutive posts, one after another.
Use the Multiquote features to reply to more than one person at once in a single post.
m76
Merging those posts actually makes readability of the topic worse. Those involved can't react to them properly, they have to cut out the parts relevant to them, or if they are not as tidy as me, they just leave both there, making a mess of the train of thought.
The forum literally has built-in features for this.

Highlight any section of any post and you'll see a "+Quote|Reply" box pop up, like this:

1648571127111.png

Clicking on "+Quote" adds that specific section to the Multiquote, while clicking on "Reply" creates a fully formatted quote reply in the Reply box. You can do this as much as you want for a single post to generate replies to individual words, sentences, sections of posts, or even entire posts if you like.

Do the rules/guidelines on double posting apply to the Opinion & Current Events forum any more? It sure seems like they do not.

Do the rules/guidelines on double posting apply to the Opinion & Current Events forum any more? It sure seems like they do not.
Considering @TexRex 's posts are falling anywhere from a day to multiple days apart & are each about recent news/political topics to bring attention to them, I think an argument can be made to excuse them. Otherwise, him editing 1 post from March 11th to cover different discussions as they appear, ranging from the 11th to the 30th, misses out on the "Current" aspect of the section.

I assume he's talking about your posts since they stand out the most (to me at least), like in the Free Speech thread. But, I think they're perfectly fine because if you weren't, then attention wouldn't be brought to them as they occur.

If he's talking about someone else, then perhaps he'll tag that user to defend themselves. Otherwise, just trying to make a case for your posts; I apologize for singling you out in the process.

I assume he's talking about your posts since they stand out the most (to me at least), like in the Free Speech thread. But, I think they're perfectly fine because if you weren't, then attention wouldn't be brought to them as they occur.

If he's talking about someone else, then perhaps he'll tag that user to defend themselves. Otherwise, just trying to make a case for your posts; I apologize for singling you out in the process.
I think it's probably someone else, such as those who respond to multiple solicitations in multiple consecutive posts rather than using the multi-quote function. Hard to know given the vague and seemingly aggrieved reference, as you suggest.

I've seen @Famine address the issue elsewhere (I can't find it, otherwise I'd quote it here) and suggest that content of each post and time between post are considered. It seems that as long as posts by a user cover topics substantively different from preceeding posts (this is probably subjective, and obviously a particular thread may have a topic guideline to which posts therein adhere) and enough time has passed between them (also probably subjective), they're okay.

Without any context I've no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at for this supposed lack of application, but the FAQ does quite clearly state:
if a reasonable amount of time has passed or you have significant information to add to the topic, present it in a new post so that others, including thread subscribers, are made aware of the update.
I always find it super-weird when people make such an issue out of it.

Sometimes it can look weird to reply to one post and then quote another post on a different subject. And then someone answers one part of your post but quotes everything and another does the same.

I often end up just not posting, yes I know it's a huge loss 🤠

Things just move fast on huge forums like these and many of the threads grows so fast you simply lose track. And without the heavy handed moderation it would be much worse.

I think it's probably someone else, such as those who respond to multiple solicitations in multiple consecutive posts rather than using the multi-quote function. Hard to know given the vague and seemingly aggrieved reference, as you suggest.

I've seen @Famine address the issue elsewhere (I can't find it, otherwise I'd quote it here) and suggest that content of each post and time between post are considered. It seems that as long as posts by a user cover topics substantively different from preceeding posts (this is probably subjective, and obviously a particular thread may have a topic guideline to which posts therein adhere) and enough time has passed between them (also probably subjective), they're okay.

Possibly was me with my
Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN
status poking fun at this topic and how I've technically got a septuplepost going on in the House of the Dragon thread in the Movies/Music/TV section.

Last edited:
Lately I get (partially angry, passive aggressive) mod notes about my "double posts" and sometimes one post gets deleted...

I do not mindlessly double post, rather if a new line of thought pops up in my head, I just post it.
Please hire a decent programmer to make this automatic, rather than paying a moderator to manually edit...

To back up my line, here is
a quote from the Guidelines:

Double Posting

“Double posting” occurs when a user makes two consecutive posts, one after another. If this is done for no apparent reason, “double posting” is typically frowned upon and may result in a warning or infraction for “spam”.

However, double-posting is not forbidden, and can be useful in many cases. For example, if a reasonable amount of time has passed or you have significant information to add to the topic, present it in a new post so that others, including thread subscribers, are made aware of the update.
😂 the glitch in their system double posts but i bet you get the points for it like me 😂 GT planet 😂 theres another world outside this 😂 they need get a grip as this sight keeps freezing and stops letting you type 😂 whos a bad person! 😂

the glitch in their system double posts but i bet you get the points for it like me
The AUP

"You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate"

Oh and don't forget:
"Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters."

Last edited:
😂 the glitch in their system double posts but i bet you get the points for it like me 😂 GT planet 😂 theres another world outside this 😂 they need get a grip as this sight keeps freezing and stops letting you type 😂 whos a bad person! 😂
😂😂😂 Bro 😂😂😂😂😂 I’m laughing 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 so hard right now 😂😂😂😂😂 full belly laughs 😂😂😂😂😂 roaring with laughter 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 my sides are in orbit my dude 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'm not sure where to start with this car crash of a post.

You're quoting a user who was banned.
Duplicate posts - which are due to hitting "post reply" repeatedly - are not double posts.
You have never received "the points" for double-posting (as far as I can tell at first glance, you haven't even double-posted anywhere).
Nobody has ever received "the points" for double-posting.
You can apparently go to the trouble of finding emojis instead of punctuation and capital letters, despite agreeing to the site's Acceptable Use Policy when you signed up which requires you to use "decent grammar".
There is indeed a world out there but, like the one in here, people generally expect you to keep promises you make and think poorly of people who habitually give their word away cheaply with no intention of following through - I'd certainly class such an individual as a bad person.

Weird, weird rant. Still, it fits the thread, I guess.

Last edited:
Among other things, it is - where the double-posting is unnecessary.

The site owner is also the site developer.

The staff are not paid.

Which says that if it is done for no apparent reason (with examples of good reasons given shortly afterwards; "a new line of thought pops up in my head" is not among them), it is frowned upon and may result in warnings or infractions... which you haven't received.

Instead a member of staff has been editing your posts so that they are no longer double-posts and leaving notifications reminding you that you should use the Edit or Quote functions to avoid double-posting.

Perhaps if you have received several of these, as your post indicated, it is worth heeding them?

Condescending modorators and being given warnings for reply to the response from modorators over my grammar is bullying! if i have slight dyslexia and aspergers please tell me why i get a warning for telling the person is IGNORANT! and ive saved screenshot for legal purposes, could post on twitter fot the world to see your attitude towards people with learning disabilities. so getting angry and telling them where to put thhe grammar sun dont shine. if you want to ####### ban me please do so and stop with the ego attitude, i am lord and give out penalties for trivial issues and putting hashtag to hide words is a reason to get penalties 🤭 i also said i could use my other phone, laptop etc to create other accounts 🤔 is this the reason for warnings we dont know because YOU! dont say which ciuld be see as bullying as you cannot give warnings or penalties without giving a reason! you font provide a crystal ball on joining. giving a response online for all to see pulling someone for bad grammer could also be seen as bullying, you have email addresses! no excuse!!!

My only complaint about the double posts is sometimes I reply to a post, then read more posts and then I see something else I want to reply to and get the message from the MOD's. There should be a way for us to fix this ourselves with the edit button or something. We do not double post on purpose. I cant see me reading the entire thread and then trying to remember what post I was going to reply to and what I was going to say. I can see why the MOD's get mad but its a broken system. Great site. Lots of good info. Double post thing needs to be fixed somehow so the MOD's can stop worrying about it and have more time for other stuff.

Yes, I have already gone round and round with the MOD's over this. No need for a reply.

Just venting that's all.

I usually just reply to one thing in each thread now to avoid the hassle.

Famine, I don't see how you have the time to read everything on here. Great job by the way. I couldn't do it. I'm not patient enough.

Last edited:
My only complaint about the double posts is sometimes I reply to a post, then read more posts and then I see something else I want to reply to and get the message from the MOD's. There should be a way for us to fix this ourselves with the edit button or something. We do not double post on purpose. I cant see me reading the entire thread and then trying to remember what post I was going to reply to and what I was going to say. I can see why the MOD's get mad but its a broken system. Great site. Lots of good info. Double post thing needs to be fixed somehow so the MOD's can stop worrying about it and have more time for other stuff.

Yes, I have already gone round and round with the MOD's over this. No need for a reply.

Just venting that's all.

I usually just reply to one thing in each thread now to avoid the hassle.
This is what the "Multi Quote" system is for.

Click the + Quote button (next to the Reply button) below each post that you want to reply to.

When you reach the end of the thread and you are ready to type a response, click the Insert quotes button below the post form. This inserts all of the quoted posts into the editor so you can address each one in a single post.

Last edited:
Back