So did Forza 6 bomb in sales?

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 154 comments
Forza 2 had 3 car packs and two track packs released. The car packs had 11-13 cars in them and were $5 each The track Packs were also cheaper. I think Road America was either 2 or 3 $ and Motegi was a little more.
Ah nice, that is definitely a nice deal. It was also most likely considerably less work as well, considering the generational difference.

I am assuming that the price will be $9.99 for a car pack as it was last I looked. The market place says that there will be 7 cars in each DLC pack which would mean 7 cars for ~$10 the 70 for $100 was just to put that in perspective. If you really think that is a good value then I suppose you would think that the base game would be a great value at $199 :)
And like I said, each and every car pack no matter the pack has been shown to release at $1 a car, so like I said, I'm not sure where the prices you're putting are coming from. I do think $1 per car is a good deal. That is damn cheap. If I want extra's I will very well pay that $1 for the cars I want.

No it does not happen with "every" pack but it does happen with most of them. The Pinto like several cars from the base FM4 game were bugged and had to be removed off the leader boards. This is another common thing that happens in all the Forza versions. Off the top of my head in FM4 there was the Dart, Javelin, SuperBee, Camaro, Transam, King Cobra all messed up in the PI numbers and all had to be wiped from the board. For a while all of those were banned from posting times and then later they redid the PI on all of them. The Pinto may very well have fallen into that group as well.
Can't recall what other cars from the DLC packs had this happen. All I was able to think of was the Pinto.

As for over the top DLC cars I have a hard time remembering all of them for each version but there have been a lot of them, many of those same cars when included in the next version are much less of a factor or a non factor. From FM4 the one that stands out the most is the Sauber before that was the 787B. In FM3 there was the Mosler that just dominated everywhere and in FM2 it was the F50GT and the Renault Turbo. Those are just a few of the cars but there were a lot more.
So in a span of 8+ years of DLC, that's all you can come up with? I'm not sure where you got the notion that every single car added has to be slower than whats on disc.

$20 for a DLC pack that had what 2 or 3 cars that was not in the FM3 base game already? That is not a good deal at all and now they will be charging even more for it in FM6 so it goes from free to $20 to $30 or something like that?
Source?

I never really cared for Porsche all that much, but I jumped on it when I saw it for $10. So like I said though, why buy any new version of a game, if you got all those cars before? You're basically just paying for a handful of new cars.

They definitely have a plan for making money but to say it is a good deal for the consumer is ... well not quite correct. It is a great deal for T10 though.
It's a great deal for everyone involved. We give them money for content in the forms of car packs, and in return we get said car packs, free tracks, and more free cars. Not that bad a deal at all.

So 3 cars isn't technically alot.
I mentioned just a few that I remembered off the top of my head, as I said there were several, at least one in almost every pack released. I have no desire to go back over the car list to get the full list for you.

Well lets see. I bought and played both games and bought and played the DLC So I know that most of those Porsches released as DLC for FM4 were in both FM2 and FM3 as part of the base game. The 550 spider was new and there were a couple more but the most of them were part of the previous games already. As for the price of the Prosche packs in 4 and 6 I think I saw both posted here in this thread. Those numbers may or may not be correct but in any case it is lame to charge that much extra for the cars, especially so in FM4 since they already had them done for FM3.

It's a great deal.
So how many cars are in the base game? Do you think #Cars * $1 would be a great deal for the game? I mean after all you would be getting a lot of free stuff like a bunch of tracks to drive those cars on, online play, leaderboards and so on. if $1 per car is a great deal then it would be an outstandingly great deal to get all of that free content and only have to pay $1 per car. By that logic Forza 2 would have been a bargain at $300 + $37 for DLC ;) FM4 would have topped the $500 mark and lets not even think about how much GT6 would be ;)

I mentioned just a few that I remembered off the top of my head, as I said there were several, at least one in almost every pack released. I have no desire to go back over the car list to get the full list for you.
Then there is no desire to take you seriously, if you are just going to throw out a baseless claim and not bother to look into it.

Well lets see. I bought and played both games and bought and played the DLC So I know that most of those Porsches released as DLC for FM4 were in both FM2 and FM3 as part of the base game. The 550 spider was new and there were a couple more but the most of them were part of the previous games already. As for the price of the Prosche packs in 4 and 6 I think I saw both posted here in this thread. Those numbers may or may not be correct but in any case it is lame to charge that much extra for the cars, especially so in FM4 since they already had them done for FM3.
So, like I said again, why buy any new version of any racing game as all your getting is a handful of new cars, while you've already paid for the rest before.

So how many cars are in the base game? Do you think #Cars * $1 would be a great deal for the game? I mean after all you would be getting a lot of free stuff like a bunch of tracks to drive those cars on, online play, leaderboards and so on. if $1 per car is a great deal then it would be an outstandingly great deal to get all of that free content and only have to pay $1 per car. By that logic Forza 2 would have been a bargain at $300 + $37 for DLC ;) FM4 would have topped the $500 mark and lets not even think about how much GT6 would be ;)
So you'd just rather post something as ridiculous as that, then an actual reply? No, i'm happy with paying 60$ for the 450 reworked cars that have came out this generation, rather then paying a dollar for every one. It's easier this way. What I am talking about is extra content, that is all we've been talking about. You can either buy it for a $1 each now, or wait for the next iteration to implement them for a much cheaper price. This has nothing to do with the subject I was talking about though, which was $1 a car for extra content is a great price.

I really enjoy that the game I am playing for many months/years gets refreshed with some next year models that I see in the press. some classics/requests too.

People that dont spend a dime on t10's efforts still get the benefit of the free car per pack plus that the newer models participate in their carrer/multiplayer games sprucing it up. Plus their other freebies.

Also worth noting is that turn10 for years has been crystal clear -and in advance of game release- about what their release-to-six-months-in schedule will be.
And they deliver like clockwork.

I really enjoy that the game I am playing for many months/years gets refreshed with some next year models that I see in the press. some classics/requests too.

People that dont spend a dime on t10's efforts still get the benefit of the free car per pack plus that the newer models participate in their carrer/multiplayer games sprucing it up. Plus their other freebies.

Also worth noting is that turn10 for years has been crystal clear -and in advance of game release- about what their release-to-six-months-in schedule will be.
And they deliver like clockwork.

For a $60 game, you're getting a lot of content - 475 cars all good to go, including the 10 anniversary cars. 26 tracks.

I'd say my £82 for the Digital version of the Ultimate Edition is money well spent. I'm getting so much joy from the game. The VIP cars membership, the Forza motorsport car pass and the launch DLC car pack, and 10 year anniversary pack. There are still cars which are I have still to purchase for free. Loving the game everything so good, worth every penny. But my only problem I spill some tea and it got into my Xbox One controller the other day. Took a hair dryer to it. Saved my controller except for LB isn't working. So now I gotta buy a new controller. need to use LB for painting and customization and menus etc.

I'd say my £82 for the Digital version of the Ultimate Edition is money well spent. I'm getting so much joy from the game. The VIP cars membership, the Forza motorsport car pass and the launch DLC car pack, and 10 year anniversary pack. There are still cars which are I have still to purchase for free. Loving the game everything so good, worth every penny. But my only problem I spill some tea and it got into my Xbox One controller the other day. Took a hair dryer to it. Saved my controller except for LB isn't working. So now I gotta buy a new controller. need to use LB for painting and customization and menus etc.

Shucks tell me about it man; I tried to get rid of a squeaky trigger and oil was pouring out of the buttons for a good few days...

The headset port no longer works. :D

Well, I saw the September NPD numbers. All I saw were action games and sports games, with one platformer. Forza 6 wasn't one of those games.

Not suprising, especially in an American crowd, where nearly every gamer (I am not trying to be stereotypical) enjoys "dudebro" sports/action games. I'm in that crowd too, with Madden and MLB The Show with a touch of GTA 5, but at least I have non-mainstream stuff (or formerly mainstream stuff) like GT6, Midnight Club LA, Rock Band 2, and others.

Edit: Oh, by the way, here's the top 10:

1. NBA 2K16
2. Madden 16
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4. FIFA 16
5. Destiny: The Taken King
6. Super Mario Maker
7. Disney Infinity 3.0
8. Mad Max
9. NHL 16
10. Minecraft

Which also makes be bring up the status of the driving simulation genre as a whole. Since the market for that type of game is dwindling, with GT6 doing worse than usual, I wouldn't be suprised if GT7 is Polyphony's last shot at glory.

Last edited:
Thats a little disappointing. Lets not kid ourselves, GT7 will hit top 5 week after week on release.

I dont know why there is this disparity. I get the feeling people buy Forza and expect something like FH2 and wind up being disappointed by the handling and track focus.

I do hear of people who cant handle the cars even with everything set to 'mario kart' level.

You can't expect Forza to be anywhere in top 10.
XBox is so far behind PlayStation, it will never catch up.
Simple fact,unfortunately.

Jeez, so many EA sports titles. And so expensive too, I see $100+ for copies of FIFA. That makes it so clear what our little hobby is, a mere niche.

Glad to see microsoft get ROI on minecraft.

Forza 2,3,4 all charted in the NPD but in recent years you don't see Driveclub, Forza Horizon, GT6, pCars chart and I reckon with Forza 6 being the third Forza game in two years on the Xbox One has had sales spread a bit.

Forza 2, 3 also had only a few days in the month and made the chart easily. Forza 6 has had half a month.

You can't expect Forza to be anywhere in top 10.
XBox is so far behind PlayStation, it will never catch up.
Simple fact,unfortunately.

Actually that's not true in the US, Xbox One is only slightly behind. The gap does grow with each month it loses though. Worldwide the gap is huge.

Not surprised that Forza 6 didn't crack the top 10 at all. I also don't expect the digital sales were anything special either because we would have already heard about it in a similar fashion Activision did with Destiny TTK.

With the sales issues surrounding GT6 and FM6, I am hopeful that PDI and T10 will realize it is time to give the gamers (IE - purchasers) what they want.

With the sales issues surrounding GT6 and FM6, I am hopeful that PDI and T10 will realize it is time to give the gamers (IE - purchasers) what I want.

Fixed for you. If this is where you'll go on another rant about how a racing game needs to have all the features of every existing game all rolled into one - with no concern for things like time or budget, apparently - well, good luck. Though I find it more than a little telling it's all hot air if you find the new NFS satisfies your needs more than any other racing game.

Fixed for you. If this is where you'll go on another rant about how a racing game needs to have all the features of every existing game all rolled into one - with no concern for things like time or budget, apparently - well, good luck. Though I find it more than a little telling it's all hot air if you find the new NFS satisfies your needs more than any other racing game.

I don't need to go on another rant. The lack of sales did it for me.

Unfortunately, Need For Speed will probably outsell FM6 right off the bat, even if it's just on XB1. It's not even about a good driving game anymore. Most people want customization like they see in car shows, social media, car culture blogs, and magazines. While Forza does have customization, but it has gotten stale. Players don't just want custom wheels. They want to be able to control the width of the wheel (separately from the tire width), wheel offset, and other dimensions of the wheel. Players also want more than just custom bumpers and spoilers. They want widebodies, flares, and other exterior/aero pieces.

I prefer more advanced suspension tuning and what not, but I think the game is just fine as it is. I can care less about making the car super flashy. I'd rather have things added to the game that make a positive difference in the driving experience.

I really don't think Microsoft are too concerned about sales. They've already got three games worth on this generation in the Forza franchise.

Yep, whats the bet MS will release FH3 and then FM7 on schedule with a very conservative bump in feature set... still 30fps/60fps respectively.

Are they making a Fast and Furious 8 movie? Best move for them would be to make a bigger FH3 FnF8 movie tie in.

Unfortunately I dont think the FH3/FM7 formula as it stands has any growth left. Turn10 will need to look at how NFS fares to see how they can make Forza grow. Its not what most of us want but we are a captive audience so its not like as if they will add features for us.

Yep, whats the bet MS will release FH3 and then FM7 on schedule with a very conservative bump in feature set... still 30fps/60fps respectively.

Are they making a Fast and Furious 8 movie? Best move for them would be to make a bigger FH3 FnF8 movie tie in.

Unfortunately I dont think the FH3/FM7 formula as it stands has any growth left. Turn10 will need to look at how NFS fares to see how they can make Forza grow. Its not what most of us want but we are a captive audience so its not like as if they will add features for us.
The only thing from Need for Speed they need to take is customization.

After that they have everything. The race conversion from Shift 2 and some nice (wide) body kits.

What else can they add from Need for Speed? Online only? Rubberbanding? 4-6 car racing? Cops?

VXR
I really don't think Microsoft are too concerned about sales. They've already got three games worth on this generation in the Forza franchise.
Agreed, and two of them are said to be the greatest games ever made. I don't know bout' you, but I just think some people are desperate to see the Forza franchise flop because it always tops in the racing genre. :sly:

Last edited:
Agreed, and two of them are said to be the greatest games ever made. I don't know bout' you, but I just think some people are desperate to see the Forza franchise flop because it always tops in the racing genre. :sly:
i'd say all three of them.

being able to buy a new console on its release day with forza 5 attached, that instantly made xbone the best ever day 1 console.

forza 5 was -number of cars/tracks aside- a great evolution from last forza game no matter how you try to cut it.

Forza 5 was -number of cars/tracks aside- a great evolution from last forza game no matter how you try to cut it.
Well graphically it was, and the laser scanned track surfaces were a good step forwards, but in terms of content (both cars/tracks and single player game functions) Forza 5 was a big step backwards from Forza 4. Understandable, given the time constraints, but saying that Forza 5 was a great evolution is sweeping the lack of content under the carpet. No need for that.

but I wrote "NUMBERS OF CARS/TRACKS ASIDE"
so its not under the carpet, is it?

even for this content, the upgrade in quality was substantial enough to ratify the lesser amount of it,
even without taking in account the time constraints or the period that game was put together (before even the console was put together)

and game cannot be said to be "small" in content when you compare it to anything else than forza 4, especially when comparing to other offerings of its time.

but number of something (cars, tracks) is not everything even when you disregard the quality boost.
also driving dynamics and control response where greatly enhanced (among other things), and this is no small thing to have improved coming from forza 4.

so I guess it depends on where you want to focus for your judgement.

personally I could not get the kind of satisfaction from forza 4, after spending some time in forza 5. it just felt "old gen" compared to 5, which felt much more "ALIVE" if you understand what I mean :)

I think its a bit unfair to compare forza 4 to 5/6 because you are comparing 2011 to 2015.

I personally will not drive Forza 4 or FH1/2 again because I think looking at them in 2015 will no doubt disappoint. 4 years from that of course it doesnt look great but I do remember what it was like in 2011... 4 was and is a revolutionary game. I still think it has some strengths over GT6 and craps all over games on other consoles, even current gen ones.

I think Forza 6 has improved in ways that many people will just not appreciate. Forza 5 even has some nuances not in 6. But no one cares as the unwashed masses out that that want NFS arent interested in what Forza brings to the table.

Europe loves racing more than America has always been the case.
Forza Motorsport seems to have always sold better in America than Europe. Biggest marketing push I've seen for a Forza game in UK has got to be FM6 so will be interesting to see how it does in Europe.

Forza Motorsport seems to have always sold better in America than Europe. Biggest marketing push I've seen for a Forza game in UK has got to be FM6 so will be interesting to see how it does in Europe.

it's not doing brilliantly but isn't a flop yet.

I think its a bit unfair to compare forza 4 to 5/6 because you are comparing 2011 to 2015.

I personally will not drive Forza 4 or FH1/2 again because I think looking at them in 2015 will no doubt disappoint. 4 years from that of course it doesnt look great but I do remember what it was like in 2011... 4 was and is a revolutionary game. I still think it has some strengths over GT6 and craps all over games on other consoles, even current gen ones.

I think Forza 6 has improved in ways that many people will just not appreciate. Forza 5 even has some nuances not in 6. But no one cares as the unwashed masses out that that want NFS arent interested in what Forza brings to the table.

-I dont know about "disappoint" but I urge EVERYONE that writes stuff about how forza 5 is "less" or "worse" than forza 4,
to do the same test I did:
boot-up both games and play one then the other.

then, come back again and tell me how 5 is less than 4.
after actually testing, not from imagination or memory.
I guarantee, nobody can be that bad of a lier after this simple test. ;)

-I care, you care, lots of people care. dont worry. if everything is catered to the masses, then civilization will be no more :D

Last edited:
Back