So did Forza 6 bomb in sales?

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 154 comments
That's not how licensing works.
I am not into game development, but I am into car aftermarket business, so I more or less know how it would work from this side of the road.
thats why it is my guess that ms/t10 may have other constraints (time/complexity) than simply striking a deal with some pvc designers

I am not into game development, but I am into car aftermarket business, so I more or less know how it would work from this side of the road.
thats why it is my guess that ms/t10 may have other constraints (time/complexity) than simply striking a deal with some pvc designers

There is no licensing that needs to be negotiated with regards to aftermarket upgrades on cars in the real world, none! You buy the car, you own the car, you do what you want with the car, the car manufacturer can say or do naff all.

In a video game this is entirely different, and every little item needs to be discussed and agreed upon. And anything to do with the cars themselves, including the after market mods available in game for that car, are set by the manufacturer. Not T10, not aftermarket body kits, not even Microsoft themselves. That is how licensing works for a video game that uses real cars.

This is why I said this in my last post:

In a video game that is a completely different story, as it is essentially a form of advertisement for them. This means that they will care about what can be done to the car, and even the type of game it will be used in. Ever wonder why the cars in GTA are only facsimiles of real cars, and not licensed version of the real thing? So when it comes to T10/PD/EA making a deal to use these cars in their games, there will be restrictions on what can be done with them. More often than not, it will only affect the more visual aspects. Most car makers are not going to want their cars visual appearance changed too much in a video game, especially if it is their most recent model. Some will be more lenient than others, some will be strict with certain models and lax with others in their lineup. But they have the last say on what T10 can do with their cars in the game, and T10 have to stick to what ever licensing deal they strike up.

I have bolded the most important lines to read

There is no licensing that needs to be negotiated with regards to aftermarket upgrades on cars in the real world, none! You buy the car, you own the car, you do what you want with the car, the car manufacturer can say or do naff all.

In a video game this is entirely different, and every little item needs to be discussed and agreed upon. And anything to do with the cars themselves, including the after market mods available in game for that car, are set by the manufacturer. Not T10, not aftermarket body kits, not even Microsoft themselves. That is how licensing works for a video game that uses real cars.

This is why I said this in my last post:

I have bolded the most important lines to read
well, there are deals going on between car manus and aftermarket manus. it doesnt trickle down to the end consumer though. it doesnt have to, thats the point. one visible example would be the relation that was last decade between groupVAG and Abt.

You are right that car manus may have some "no-no's" in depicting their products digitally, and from turn10 again we know of such things, like most manus ask for passenger cabin and pillars to always remain intact no matter what (a huge lie lol), but these have already been managed in forza since years ago not now.

I don't think it's the aftermarket side of things that's the hold up. Auto manufactures might not want their vehicles to have another companies parts on their cars, or maybe they just want more money then T10 thinks it's worth. There is a ton of legalese that goes into licensing, so it's hard to say what the roadblock might be, but I would guess it's the reason we don't have more body kits and rims to choose from.

Although I suppose T10 could also just not want to be bothered with having to rework the physics and damage model for additional body components.

I would explaing the number you mentioned by saying you were looking at the wrong car/track combo.

If you want a true idea how many people have played so far look at Rio in S class since the first thing every one does is run that Ford GT around there that will be an indicator. The number there is more than 10 times what you mention in your OP. Currently I am seeing over 1/2 a million times posted there. 539,434 to be exact as of the time of this post

So less than 10% of players are playing the career then? Doesn't seem right.

What you've observed, if you're correct, is that fewer than 10% have a visible time set on that leaderboard. No, you don't seem right. With Forza 6 charting high it seems likely that T10 will be happy with the sales. Units-shifted is really the way you should be looking at your measurement of success, I'd advise against something as arbitrary as quantity-of-leaderboard-times, a value that depends on a number of external factors.

Back