So I ask, why get an SUV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Onikaze
  • 265 comments
  • 8,820 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sage
The X-Type is massively unpopular in the States.

Why?

They have a slight image thing in the UK, because everyone knows they're based on the Ford Mondeo. But the Ford Mondeo is actually a good car, and it doesn't stop people buying the Saab "I'm a Vauxhall Vectra" 9-3.

The 4WD variant of the X-Type, though agricultural, is supposedly a top notch snowmobile, and it'll tow 3,000lb easily.

I'd say it's a viable wagon alternative to an SUV - but why do you lot not like it?
 
Probably because the segment is so saturated already: Acura TL, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS, etc. With all of those excellent, proven choices, why would one want to “risk” the X-Type?

As for X-Type wagon vs. SUV, just look at Duke’s rant. ;) The only wagons that do well at all in the U.S. are the Subaru twins (standard affair in mountainous areas) and the Dodge Magnum (since it’s burly enough to stave off the wagon stigma).
 
Dodge Magnum.

In R/T AWD Trim it can tow 3800 Lbs properly equipped, has 71.6 Cubic Feet of cargo space behind the front seats, has a snorty, very fun, 345 Hp/390 Lb ft Hemi, and gets 17/24 Mpg City/Hwy depending on driving habits, with the Multi-Displacement system.

Sorry, that's a very awesome wagon, if I was in the market for something with decent towing, all wheel drive, and fun, I don't think I'd be able to beat the Magnum.

Not to mention, it's large enough to survive a crash well, and it's nimble enough to avoid one if given the chance.

Nevermind the excellent BMW 525Xi Wagon, the Subaru Outback, the apparently quite fun Ford Freestyle, even the Chevy HHR and Dodge Caliber could be classified as wagons.
 
Famine
Why?

They have a slight image thing in the UK, because everyone knows they're based on the Ford Mondeo. But the Ford Mondeo is actually a good car, and it doesn't stop people buying the Saab "I'm a Vauxhall Vectra" 9-3.

The 4WD variant of the X-Type, though agricultural, is supposedly a top notch snowmobile, and it'll tow 3,000lb easily.

I'd say it's a viable wagon alternative to an SUV - but why do you lot not like it?

I'll atempt to answer your question as best as I possibly can:

Well, the last Mondeo we had in the US went out in 2000 or 2001, as it baisically had outclassed itself between the Taurus and Focus, and it didn't have a spot in the marketplace. Then the X-Type came along, and we all knew that it was based on the Mondeo, and it was warmly welcomed by the press. But, the car was full of problems, far more than it's other Jaguar siblings. Added to that, the car seemed to cost too much for what you ended up with. For $36,000 that is a steep price to pay for a wagon and AWD, given it's dissapointing performance from the 3.0L V6.

And I would completely agree that it is a great alternative to an SUV, but people aren't willing to pay that price for a sub-par Jaguar here in the US. They move at a trickle here, as most rational wagon shoppers head over to Dodge for the Magnum, Volkswagen for the Passat, Volvo for the V50, etc and all of those cost less, have optional AWD, and perform much better as an all-around vehicle.
 
Carl.
Doug, if you can't make it in the snow in a Volvo 850, you either:

- Don't have winter tires. (in that case, duh!)
- Don't know how to drive.


Seriously. RWD is a different story, but fwd cars? Puh-lease...


My snow beater this past winter. Volvo 740. 130hp, RWD, automatic. Never had a problem once, and we definitely had quite a few snowstorms, although not of Michigan/Wisconsin/Denver variety (I'm in NJ near NYC).

Basically, well I'm was going to put something down that was really creative and elaborate about this whole debate. But it's getting late. So I'll leave at this, you don't need any particular car to drive in whatever the weather, so long as you know how to drive properly in those conditions. And I'm speaking of on paved roads.

But I'm holding back as to everything I want to and will eventually post . ..
 
///M-Spec
Who said every car purchase needs to be illogical?

Tell me how a 500hp sedan with a 7 speed transmission and a top speed of over 200mph is remotely logical?

What car would you be driving right now if you could afford any? Would it be a minivan?


M

That's not the point of my argument. I don't care if someone buys a supercar or SUV that they know they don't need. That just makes them an enthusiast. What I do care about is that many people think they need an SUV, when they really don't. That's just ignorance.

As for those who buy SUVs for the "image" it provides, I hate them just as much as the people who buy supercars or sportscars for the "image."
 
STLbarcelona5
My snow beater this past winter. Volvo 740. 130hp, RWD, automatic. Never had a problem once, and we definitely had quite a few snowstorms, although not of Michigan/Wisconsin/Denver variety (I'm in NJ near NYC).

I think this is the the difference.

I've driven 2 recent V8 Mercedes in the snow (E430, S500), they were giving a full workout to the ESP and TC, and I didn't like it. Both car felt very unstable under acceleration, something I've never experienced with powerful fwd cars (Acura TL, S70 T5), even when driving them harder.

Most people will instinctly react to a loss of traction by lifting the throttle, which has a much less dramatic effect on a slippery surface when driving a fwd car.
 
Wolfe2x7
You didn't read the disclaimer at the top of my post.

You didn't read the disclaimer at the top of my post.

So then you concede that my points on those two issues were correct?

Any wagon is viable. It all depends on the buyer's needs. I'm not sure of the number of wagon models that have been sold in this country in the entire history of the automobile, but subtract one from that number (for the Outback), and that's the number I've just given you. Whatever it is, it's a lot more than one. :lol:

You conceded four of my six points right back to me. And you haven't named a viable wagon so I consider that a fifth concession. By the way, the Subaru Forester is a sport-utility vehicle. Subaru markets it as such, and it's similar in height to several SUVs including the Mazda CX-7. Furthermore, it's quite a bit taller than cars - it's got five inches on the Volvo V70.

Usually, when pro/anti-SUV debates are started, the subject is large, heavy, V8-powered, body-on-frame SUVs, and generalized comments referring to that kind of SUV are inevitable. SUVs like the Escape, CRV, RAV4, etc. are basically just tall wagons, anyway.

So you're giving me midsize and small. Basically the only group attacked by this thread is the large group, according to you. Which consists of seven or eight SUVs and about twelve percent of the SUV market.

As a 16 year-old, I drove the 7 miles to high school on a sheet of ice in my FWD Mazda with Goodyear Aquatreads. It came home with nary a scratch. If anything, the presence of 4WD SUVs makes people WORSE at driving in snow, because it goes to their head. "I've got 4WD!! Eat it, nature!" Too bad they don't realize that the problem with ice and snow is not starting; it's stopping and turning, two things which 4WD does nothing to improve.

BUT YOU'RE NOT THE ONE BUYING SUVS.

NEITHER IS FAMINE.

Jesus Hell. Why do I expect a group of car enthusiasts to understand the buying habits of consumers? It's like asking wine enthusiasts about beer.
 
It's german, and here are the basic results:

The 3-series BMW has not much of a chance, cause its RWD. The X5 gets higher up, cause it has much more ground clearance and AWD. Nevertheless, it's doesn't have all the toys you need for rough terrain, so it stops after some metres. The Lexus has AWD, but has almost no toys whatsoever, so it's even worse. The Volvo plays in the same league, but as the Swedes know enough about snow, it gets almost as high as the X5. The Nissan Patrol is a true allroad vehicle, but the Diesel (158 hp) is just not powerful enough to push the 2.4 tons up that snowy mountain. Only the Audi A6 allroad does it, due to its quattro AWD and lots of turbo power. The interesting bit: it's not an SUV!
M5Power
BUT YOU'RE NOT THE ONE BUYING SUVS.
Exactly, and we're constantly trying to explain why.
M5Power
Jesus Hell. Why do I expect a group of car enthusiasts to understand the buying habits of consumers? It's like asking wine enthusiasts about beer.
So what? Just because I'm a car enthusiast, I still may understand what's going on on the market.

Regards
the Interceptor
 
Do you want a list of wagons?

Audi A4 AND A6 Avant
Mercedes C and E class wagons
Volvo V70
Ford Freestar
(The former but almost-new) Mazda Protege 5, and now the Mazda 3
Mazda 6 Wagon
Dodge Magnum

ALL of them, save for the Mazdas, come with all wheel drive either standard or optional. You could also spend a few more dollars and get the AMG or S variations of the Mercedes and Audi, respectively.

Edit - Thanks for that translation, Interceptor.
 
Famine
My FWD Mazda leaves SUVs standing, even on Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, which are essentially a summer tyre. In fact it leaves ME standing, or, more accurately, sprawled on the floor. I drove to work in 8 inches of packed snow (which, given my ground clearance, was really rather amusing) without an incident of any kind, then fell over when I got out of the car.
Famine. Surely you will understand this. You're not the sort who is buying SUVs. Those people are middle-aged women who CAN'T drive in the snow and therefore NEED all-wheel drive. Frankly, the pro-minivan crowd should simply concede the AWD point, for mostly two reasons. One, they can't understand it, and two, there are a lot of people who NEED all-wheel drive, and minivans simply cannot provide it.

Out of interest, does the US get the Jaguar X-Type 4WD Estate (Wagon)?

Since 2005, yes, and since 2004 in Canada, however it's the slowest-selling Jaguar, and that includes the XKR. With that said, there's a huge market here for premium AWD wagons. The E-class W4 is a huge success, as are Audi and BMW's new AWD entries. (by the way, Sage, if you've seen more Ferraris than BMW wagons, you need to open your eyes) The problem with Jaguar's entry is that it's a) prohibitively expensive and b) mostly trash.

We do get AWD wagons, however NONE can match the price point of the majority of SUVs on the market. For example, the absolute cheapest all-wheel drive 3-series wagon, which is gutless and small, matches the most expensive Ford Explorer (the Limited 4WD model), with both going for around $35000. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather have heated leather and a sunroof than vinyl upholstery and 15" alloys. Ya know? (actually I'd rather have the BMW, if for no other reason than it'll hold its value better so I can sell it and buy a real car, but you can see why people would opt for the Explorer, which is larger, quicker, and better-equipped)

Doug, if you can't make it in the snow in a Volvo 850, you either:

- Don't have winter tires. (in that case, duh!)
- Don't know how to drive.

It's a combination of both. I slid into a pole, you know. In my defense, though, it was 12am and I was the first car along the road after it had an inch of snow. By the way it's an 850 Turbo and trust me that matters because 222 horsepower feels a lot different on the snow than 168.

Too many people get a false sense of security while driving their SUVs on snow.

I agree completely. However AWD does help and again, I hate explaining a need for AWD to car enthusiasts because they just complain BITTERLY about how they don't need it. The truth of the matter is, the majority of SUV buyers DO need it, because the majority of SUV buyers are women who, like me, can't handle the snow. I can barely handle the snow with AWD cars.

Famine
I'd say it's a viable wagon alternative to an SUV - but why do you lot not like it?

As I mentioned above - it's pricing. In the U.S., we only get one engine on the X-Type: a 3-liter V6 worth a paltry 227hp. The 2.5 model was cancelled, and we get no 2.0 or diesel. Consequently, the price is high: $36300. For that, you can have your pick of small or midsize SUVs (truly - your pick - they're ALL available - even the BMW X3), all of which are cheaper, quicker, more reliable, better-looking, larger inside, etc. etc. etc. Hell the Nissan Murano, which is better than the X-Type wagon in every single regard, is also $5k cheaper in its absolutely highest spec. Some of the SUVs that I'm talking about even get better fuel economy, too. In fact, most do.

God the X-Type is crap.

In R/T AWD Trim it can tow 3800 Lbs properly equipped, has 71.6 Cubic Feet of cargo space behind the front seats, has a snorty, very fun, 345 Hp/390 Lb ft Hemi, and gets 17/24 Mpg City/Hwy depending on driving habits, with the Multi-Displacement system.

Fair suggestion, definitely. Kudos. I thought of another, the Passat wagon. The Magnum is quite large (still 20 inches longer than our SUV) though, which is a problem, and if you don't want that bitch 5.7-liter engine, you have to settle for the 3.5, which is slower than crap. It's also ugly (I don't think so - trust me - but for some reason I keep getting that feedback) and doesn't seat seven.

I'm not trying to knock down your suggestion though - the Magnum has problems, but so do the SUVs, and it's definitely a viable competitor. As is the Passat, though it's a bit on the expensive side.

Nevermind the excellent BMW 525Xi Wagon, the Subaru Outback, the apparently quite fun Ford Freestyle, even the Chevy HHR and Dodge Caliber could be classified as wagons.

And then you go and say something stupid. There's no 525xiT. There is, however, a 530xiT. It starts at $52100. Good try though. The Outback, yeah, I mentioned that. The Freestyle is an SUV, despite what Ford might try and feed you. HHR and Caliber are small cars. Come on now.

What I do care about is that many people think they need an SUV, when they really don't. That's just ignorance.

But you have given no reasons - ZERO REASONS - why people don't need an SUV.

You conceded FIVE of SIX points on this issue to me. Your arguments are completely without merit. Come ON
 
M5Power
NEITHER IS FAMINE.

Famine. Surely you will understand this. You're not the sort who is buying SUVs.

If you ignore the Explorer I bought, then yes, you're right.



Does the US have a used car market at all?
 
I have the Grand Daddy of all SUVs (well one of them, at least):



I bought it because I had 10 points on my license and I wanted to slow down; I also wanted a vehicle that could tow gliders out of fields, and tow a glider trailer (they're about 20 feet long, btw) on occasion; I also like Land Rovers and have wanted one since I was 10.

I've still got it, but it hasn't turned a wheel for a while now...
 
Slicks
Do you want a list of wagons?

Audi A4 AND A6 Avant
Mercedes C and E class wagons
Volvo V70
Ford Freestar
(The former but almost-new) Mazda Protege 5, and now the Mazda 3
Mazda 6 Wagon
Dodge Magnum

ALL of them, save for the Mazdas, come with all wheel drive either standard or optional. You could also spend a few more dollars and get the AMG or S variations of the Mercedes and Audi, respectively.

Edit - Thanks for that translation, Interceptor.

I will now teach you the term PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE

Audi A4: the base A4 wagon w/AWD is $32500. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE
Audi A6: the base A6 wagon w/AWD is $46900. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE
Mercedes C-class: the wagon version was cancelled three years ago. However, when it existed, it was PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE, starting north of $34000 in 2003
Mercedes E-class: the base E-class wagon w/AWD starts at $54800. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE. In fact, for the price of an E350W4, I could get an ML500 and $6k in options. The V8 ML for $6k less than a V6 E-class. Hmm...
Volvo V70: the base V70 wagon w/AWD (XC70) is $35700. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE
Mazdas: the Protege5 and 3 wagon are jokes. Be serious. In the U.S., the 6 doesn't offer AWD, sadly
Dodge Magnum: one of three that aren't PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE and with its own problems, as mentioned.
 
If I were a mother with some kids to take to school or whereever, and I'm not so good at driving a car and I need AWD cause I live in a snowy area, I'd buy a Golf or a Passat 4motion. Easier to park, easier to drive, does more mpg and is more forgiving in a dangerous situation due to less weight and a lower center of gravity. It can be that simple.

Regards
the Interceptor
 
Famine
If you ignore the Explorer I bought, then yes, you're right.
:lol: Famine owns an SUV folks - the thread ends here.

When did this happen? And why?

And do you understand my point about the X wagon? It just can't hold its own. None of them can. SUVs just massively undercut them on price.

If I were a mother with some kids to take to school or whereever, and I'm not so good at driving a car and I need AWD cause I live in a snowy area, I'd buy a Golf or a Passat 4motion. Easier to park, easier to drive, does more mpg and is more forgiving in a dangerous situation due to less weight and a lower center of gravity. It can be that simple.

I was just going to ignore you, cos your posts aren't making much sense, but this is too classic to pass up. IF YOU WERE A MOTHER, you'd get a Golf 4Motion or a Passat 4Motion. However I have the following problems:

- you're growing about 30 years, changing your sex, and adding kids to your life. Come on.
- mothers simply AREN'T doing this. So I imagine you're a bit off on how a mother thinks.

All set?
 
M5Power
I was just going to ignore you, cos your posts aren't making much sense, but this is too classic to pass up. IF YOU WERE A MOTHER, you'd get a Golf 4Motion or a Passat 4Motion. However I have the following problems:

- you're growing about 30 years, changing your sex, and adding kids to your life. Come on.
- mothers simply AREN'T doing this. So I imagine you're a bit off on how a mother thinks.

All set?
That statement is so ridiculous that I am going to ignore it, cause insulting or making fun of people is not really proof of having viable arguments in a discussion, is it?
M5Power
:lol: Famine owns an SUV folks - the thread ends here.
If Famine says that there's little sense in buying an SUV for most people, but he has a Ford Explorer, doesn't the thought pop into your head that there actually might be a good reason he bought one?

Regards
the Interceptor
 
the Interceptor
If Famine says that there's little sense in buying an SUV for most people

My first post in this thread didn't quite convey that message...


I never actually completed the sale - I had to pull out an hour before I was due to pay & collect it for an utterly bizarre reason I won't go into here. But I did agree a price and arrange a time to pick it up over the phone with the seller - £2,800 for a 1999 Explorer 4.0 North Face with 60,000 miles.

Why did I buy it? I wanted to move a large amount of stuff by myself and be comfortable doing it. I figured that, after I was done, I could sell it on for a slight profit (including the cost of the petrol I'd used in the process) or just keep it for a while as an extra car.

Just from the point of view of the UK's market:
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport Premium 5dr (231hp, 6.9s, 144mph, 27mpg combined, iG16) - £31,190
Nissan Murano 3.5 V6 5dr CVT (230hp, 8.8s, 124mph, 23mpg, iG15) - £29,975
BMW X3 3.0i SE 5dr Auto (227hp, 7.8s, 130mph, 23mpg, iG17) - £33,185

The X-Type's "paltry" 231hp V6 is made positively spritely by the BMW's same-capacity six and the Nissan's even-bigger six. The £1,200 list price difference between the Nissan and the Jaguar would be offset after you'd driven just 1,000 miles thanks to the Jaguar's better fuel economy. Both will hold roughly the same amount of stuff inside and have the same rating for pulling stuff outside (750kg unbraked, 1,500kg braked).

You can get a cheaper X3 here - the entry level 2.0 model is £25,500 list - and it can hold and pull slightly more than either the Jaguar or Nissan, but then you can pick up a £24,100 Jaguar X-Type 2.2d which obliterates it for fuel economy (30mpg to 45mpg).

But this all assumes you're paying list price (you will for the BMW, but not for the Jaguar or Nissan) and indeed are buying new at all.


So you can see why I'm quite surprised that the X-Type just isn't as competitive in the US. Especially with Jaguar sitting right on top of our JD Power customer satisfaction surveys right now.
 
You're last, doo doo head.

Duke
Dodge Magnum. I don't care how much you hate the advertising, it's a reasonably priced, roomy, comfortable, great-handling (for its size) car, and it can be had with plenty of acceleration. I know you wish it didn't exist. That doesn't make it disappear.

I love the Magnum. I castigated my good friend who bought an E500W4, screaming about how the Magnum was better in every respect. And as I mention above, the Magnum is certainly a good rec. I do have a few major issues with it:

1. It's still huge, and for no reason. Duke, the Magnum is 197.7 inches long. It's longer than the Hummer H2, the Range Rover, and every single midsize SUV (Explorer, Trailblazer [even the extended one], Pilot, Highlander). And what have you got to show for that gigantic exterior? The same cargo volume as a Ford Escape, and less than Highlander, Pilot, Trailblazer - losing out by twenty percent to two of those vehicles, and ten percent to the other two. Its length would eliminate it from the discussion in my family, right now. The car is just too big.

2. The damn engine options suck. I realize the V8 gets good fuel economy (it really does), but for those of us who don't want a V8 (and you have NO IDEA how many SUV buyers are afraid of an engine that size), we have to settle for two anemic V6s. The 3.5-liter one, which gets the same fuel economy as the V8, is doing 0-60 in 9.5 seconds. And that's according to Dodge. Why the hell is there a version that does 0-60 in 5.8, and one that does it in 9.5? Where the hell is the one that does it in 7.5 so as to be competitive with every single other vehicle ever mass-produced? The 3.8 second gap has to be one of the most laughable in the auto industry.

3. You guys think people buy SUVs to look cool? No. People buy Magnums to look cool. Why do I hate the ads? Because they trade on the vehicle's brute looks rather than its selling points. In essence, they appeal to idiots, like much of Dodge's line. (don't worry - I'm an idiot) The difference between buying an SUV to look cool and buying a Magnum to look cool? The nine inches of height between the Magnum and the Grand Cherokee. Those nine inches make it okay to buy the Magnum. Let's not lie though: a Magnum is an SUV, just without a decent V6 and without the height. And without the compactness. And without the cargo volume.

By the way, after all this, I still strongly recommend the Magnum and would make a list just like this to defend it if it were being attacked.

THERE ARE NO WAGONS BECAUSE AMERICANS QUIT BUYING THEM WHEN MINIVANS APPEARED, THEN THEY QUIT BUYING MINIVANS BECAUSE THEY WANTED THE 'TOUGH' IMAGE THAT AN SUV OFFERED.

I will now point out the two times in this thread when sense was injected in to it: one was when I came in, and two was this sentence.

Duke, and everyone: it's true. SUVs killed wagons and minivans. I won't even argue that they killed them because they're BETTER, which may or may not be accurate. At the end of the day, though, I can't change the fact that SUVs killed those two segments. They did, and this is what we're left with. At the end of the day, it boils down to this: deal with it. I'm not discussing what could've been, had the SUV not come along, and that's not the point of this thread. I'm discussing what we have now, right in front of us, for sale today, and I think it's better to discuss the here-and-now than the could-have-been.

By the way, the thread starter, whose competence I still question, posted somewhere on page four that this thread was only attacking large SUVs. Since those vehicles make up 9-12% of the entire market, this entire discussion has essentially been moot, and he's given up even trying to defend his thread.
 
Famine
So you can see why I'm quite surprised that the X-Type just isn't as competitive in the US. Especially with Jaguar sitting right on top of our JD Power customer satisfaction surveys right now.

Indeed - the pricing is just different. I don't quite understand it myself, because usually cars in the US are much cheaper than in the UK. The holdout really seems to be the X-Type. Out here, the base Murano (which is probably a bit more stripped than the base Murano in the UK but still loaded) goes for $9k less than the X-Type wagon, which is a quarter of the X-Type's entire purchase price. And I could throw the top one to full spec, which includes stuff like sat-nav and a DVD player, and pay about $800 more than the base X-Type wagon.

Actually I think the X's main problem is that unlike the 3-series wagon or the A6 wagon, it doesn't handle that well. People can very easily justify the purchase of a 3xi by saying it handles about ten times better than a Murano or an Explorer (and of an A6Q by saying it handles about five times better) but with the X-Type handling is quite similar to SUVs, actually. Which obviously has something to do with its roots...
 
M5Power
So then you concede that my points on those two issues were correct?

You're not a big fan of that thing called "reading," are you? :lol: I stated very specifically that I was using your 6 points to help structure my post, and that I was not responding to your post directly.

For the record, I do not concede to either one of those points:

Claiming that SUVs are superior because they're "smaller than the full-size minivans we get" is asinine, when older, smaller minivans and a plethora of even-smaller cars and wagons -- which are all viable alternatives for a large portion of SUV buyers -- exist.

On public roads, speed is rarely a "need," and almost always a "want" (the VW Beetle is a possible exception :lol: ). You even used the word "enjoy" in making this point -- sure, people enjoy being in the fast lane and overtaking people, but do they really need to do so in something as big as an SUV? Since when do we "need" to get to 60mph in less than 10 seconds, anyway? That was good enough in the 80's, and everyone seemed to get by just fine. SUV's are not sportscars.

M5Power
You conceded four of my six points right back to me. And you haven't named a viable wagon so I consider that a fifth concession. By the way, the Subaru Forester is a sport-utility vehicle. Subaru markets it as such, and it's similar in height to several SUVs including the Mazda CX-7. Furthermore, it's quite a bit taller than cars - it's got five inches on the Volvo V70.

Which four? What are you even babbling about? :lol:

I did name a viable wagon -- all of them, especially when you look at the used-car market. As I said before, it all depends on the buyer's needs, of course.

Apparently, you've decided what those needs are, and have determined that SUVs are the ONLY thing on the entire planet that could even maybe possibly kinda meet those needs.

M5Power
So you're giving me midsize and small. Basically the only group attacked by this thread is the large group, according to you. Which consists of seven or eight SUVs and about twelve percent of the SUV market.

Do they not sell used cars in Colorado? Or do you wander from dealership parking lot to dealership parking lot, living in a cardboard box? There are many, many body-on-frame, work-worthy, V8-powered SUVs out there.

Smaller, unibodied SUVs that get decent gas mileage aren't so bad, but they're still silly, and often exceed the needs of the owners. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of, say, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz SUVs are overkill for what the owners do with them -- commuting.

M5Power
I agree completely. However AWD does help and again, I hate explaining a need for AWD to car enthusiasts because they just complain BITTERLY about how they don't need it. The truth of the matter is, the majority of SUV buyers DO need it, because the majority of SUV buyers are women who, like me, can't handle the snow. I can barely handle the snow with AWD cars.

Your argument is voided by the large, large number of "ordinary" people on the road who survive winter after winter in FWD or RWD cars.

You might fear snow as if hellfire were falling from the sky, but other people can do just fine.

M5Power
But you have given no reasons - ZERO REASONS - why people don't need an SUV.

You conceded FIVE of SIX points on this issue to me. Your arguments are completely without merit. Come ON

Well, when you ignore everything I say and pull concessions out of thin air, it's not surprising that you aren't impressed with my argumentative skills. :lol:

Calm down, take some deep breaths, and do the following:

1. READ what people type.
2. Process it and THINK about it. (<-- important one!)
3. Then type a response.

Famine
Does the US have a used car market at all?

Apparently, Colorado doesn't.
 
M5Power
I will now point out the two times in this thread when sense was injected in to it: one was when I came in ...
"Sense", such as:
M5Power
You're last, doo doo head.

(...)

By the way, the thread starter, whose competence I still question, ...

(...)

this entire discussion has essentially been moot, and he's [the thread starter] given up even trying to defend his thread.

(...)

Famine owns an SUV folks - the thread ends here.

(...)

you're growing about 30 years, changing your sex, and adding kids to your life.

(...)

Jesus Hell. Why do I expect a group of car enthusiasts to understand the buying habits of consumers? It's like asking wine enthusiasts about beer.

(...)

It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

(...)

How many god damn times do I have to say it?

(...)

The post I'm quoting from is now the worst I've seen in this thread, even worse than the original.

(...)

I don't get why everyone is pulling "rest of world" bull**** out.
There's more, but I think I've made my point. Oh, and please don't double-post. You should know that after four years of membership, but obviously, you don't.

Regards
the Interceptor
 
It's easier to have sex in an SUV.
 
Wolfe2x7
Yep, I've seen that. I never said you had to use a little hatchback. :lol:

I know, i just couldn't resist :D

We bought our freelander not because of towing ability, and not because we need to go offroad (we don't at all), but because we couldn't find anything else suitable. We're all under 5'8, so we wanted something that we could all see out of, but at the same time wasn't too huge. Pretty much every other car we tried was like a submarine to sit in... The only viable alternative was a Citroen Berlingo, which was based on car that we were replacing. We didn't really want to have any more problems getting up hills, so we went for the SUV. I'm not saying that it was my choice, but between this and a van with windows, i'll have the landy.
 
Once saturn turns fully into opel most people wont have an excuse to get SUV's, and once they prove to be a success ford of america will wake up and send over its better mondeo. All of which come in estate form.
 
the Interceptor
If I were a mother with some kids to take to school or whereever, and I'm not so good at driving a car and I need AWD cause I live in a snowy area, I'd buy a Golf or a Passat 4motion. Easier to park, easier to drive, does more mpg and is more forgiving in a dangerous situation due to less weight and a lower center of gravity. It can be that simple.

Regards
the Interceptor

And you would be completely right in your assumption. The neighborhood I grew up in was one of the wealthiest in West Michigan, and I still maintain the idea that Forest Hills was one of the places where the SUV-driving Mom fad started. But, as fuel prices began to rise, the Mom's decidedly cut their consumption and moved back down to Volvo XC70s, Audi Allroads, BMW 530xi Wagons, etc. The Passat and Golf was always popular with Moms, especially the younger ones, and I would dare to say that it is still one of the top choises for a growing family.

Poverty
Once saturn turns fully into opel most people wont have an excuse to get SUV's, and once they prove to be a success ford of america will wake up and send over its better mondeo. All of which come in estate form.

Well I can certainly see your point, Saturn will still have two crossover SUVs in their lineup for a while. The Outlook will be the largest and presumably offer the most refinement, and then if the rumors are true, the Opel/Vauxhall Antara will come to the US as the next-gen VUE.

...But, you make a good point on Ford NA watching the Vecta turn Aura here in the US. They could eventually decide to bring the Mondeo back, but then after considering the Ford NA lineup, there really isn't a need for it.

----

@ Famine: The X-Type is almost refered to as a joke these days. It is just such a strange little car in the US, it never found it's place. But I do think part of the problem for the X-Type is that at about the same time it debuted in the US, the Infiniti G35 showed up shortly thereafter, and thus the discussion became G35 versus 3-series in most circumstances.

But it is a good car, but most Americans cannot justify spending the $36K (w/o options) on a car that gets argueably worse gas mileage than most of our crossovers along with a smaller cargo space. The Ford Freelander, Chevrolet Equinox, Chrysler Pacifica, etc are all far better choises (IMO) despite their lower build quality and less-than-invloving driving expiriences.

My vote obviously is still for the VW Passat 3.6 4MOTION, of which saves me $3000 to begin with over the X-Type. Build quality is argueably better, comes with more (and better) standard features, a better warranty, and better fuel economy as well.
 
Watch this, I now completely destroy all of the posts M5Power made since I went to bed.

You can get Minivans with AWD, all of the major U.S. models, and I think only the Nissan doesn't offer it (I might be wrong), for less cash than any comparable SUV, cargo/room/mileage wise.

Crossover Utility Vehicles are nothing more than cool minivans with less Utility.

I have to lol@"You have no idea how scared most SUV owners are of engines that big" considering how the easiest way to get a great big engine besides a pickup, is an SUV.

M5Power
Audi A4: the base A4 wagon w/AWD is $32500. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE
Audi A6: the base A6 wagon w/AWD is $46900. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE
Mercedes C-class: the wagon version was cancelled three years ago. However, when it existed, it was PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE, starting north of $34000 in 2003
Mercedes E-class: the base E-class wagon w/AWD starts at $54800. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE. In fact, for the price of an E350W4, I could get an ML500 and $6k in options. The V8 ML for $6k less than a V6 E-class. Hmm...
Volvo V70: the base V70 wagon w/AWD (XC70) is $35700. PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE
Mazdas: the Protege5 and 3 wagon are jokes. Be serious. In the U.S., the 6 doesn't offer AWD, sadly
Dodge Magnum: one of three that aren't PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE and with its own problems, as mentioned

I must laugh, you realise that it is hard to find an SUV for under $30,000 these days, and most with options wind up from $35,000 to $48,000.

Prohibitively expensive indeed, at least with the aforementioned cars, you can get actual miles per gallon.

Oh, about the BMW.

You can understand my confusion about the 525XiT, can't you?

Either way, the 530XiT makes the point too.

So, what else ya got?
 
Omnis
It's easier to have sex in an SUV.

Omnis wins.

I can't argue with the devastating logic, though, Minivans are quite good for sex too, but Lincoln Navigators are apparently made for gettin it on inside them.
 
I have to agree with my american cousins. The only people that rate jaguars are the british, and just as in football it will never reach expectations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back