So I popped in the GT4 last night...

  • Thread starter Thread starter buziii
  • 51 comments
  • 5,058 views
Messages
365
Messages
buziii
just because I hadn't played it in a long time and I was curious to compare it to GT5. Wow, big difference. I'm not big on comparing physics and all the aesthetic issues, but GT5 is worlds better in all aspects. As it should be, I know.

I actually have gone back to GT3 over the years more than GT4, because I like it better for some reason. But GT5 driving makes it a bit difficult to go back now, except I do enjoy the career modes better in both GT3 and GT4.
 
just because I hadn't played it in a long time and I was curious to compare it to GT5. Wow, big difference. I'm not big on comparing physics and all the aesthetic issues, but GT5 is worlds better in all aspects. As it should be, I know.

I actually have gone back to GT3 over the years more than GT4, because I like it better for some reason. But GT5 driving makes it a bit difficult to go back now, except I do enjoy the career modes better in both GT3 and GT4.

I did exactly the same thing this weekend, but I'm completely the opposite. The physics in GT4 are more than good enough to satisfy me. I have to get used to the gritty pixelfest again after the smooth HDness of GT5, but as a game GT4 is so much better than GT5. Just go into the tuning section for your car and marvell at the things you can do there.

And we don't even have to mention all the races, championships, manufacturer-events, the multitude of interesting tracks and special events you can choose from.

👍
 
I wonder if we'll be reminiscing about GT5 when GT6 comes out.
 
just because I hadn't played it in a long time and I was curious to compare it to GT5. Wow, big difference. I'm not big on comparing physics and all the aesthetic issues, but GT5 is worlds better in all aspects. As it should be, I know.

I actually have gone back to GT3 over the years more than GT4, because I like it better for some reason. But GT5 driving makes it a bit difficult to go back now, except I do enjoy the career modes better in both GT3 and GT4.

Hehe, good one :D

In another community, I take part on some weekly photo contest with console games and there you always can see the differene bewteen GT4 and GT5 and just that visual fact let me still playing GT5 :)

GT4 was great, but its old now.
 
Well, GT4 was never a good sim when it came to physics. For starters, oversteer was an unknown word back then but when it came to content the events were f**ing brilliant, I want my driving missions and manufaturer events back please.
 
omg you guys lol

I thought i was the only one who was doing this,
I did exactly the same thing above, as i do not still have a PS2 but
<touchwood> I still have my original PS3 Phat 60 gig with backwards compatibility I used that and after playing GT4 for length my opinions are somewhat mixed. Visuals aside :

I agree with Brambos in some respects, such as the tuning features and race series /events from GT 4 were far superior to GT 5 however physics wise i hate to say it but GT 4 is lacking for me big time, I cannot get over the Uber understeer in the game, high powered rear drive cars that understeer when your hard on the gas just is not realistic to me , sure all cars suffer from understeer, but not when you are deliberately trying to provoke oversteer!

GT5 is years ahead literally lol now i know a lot of that is due to it being run on superior hardware platform, many many many years of development time , advances in tech etc the list goes on !

I think the ultimate GT 5 would have adopted the best features of previous GT's and added new enhancements of its own. I wish they had taken Gt 4's B spec feature and implemented it in GT 5 .
 
GT4 had the events arranged perfectly, the way B-spec was implemented was perfect, more tracks etc.

GT5 has so much more immersion thanks to the detail, cockpit view, HD, etc.

If PD can get the immersion and simulation of GT5 with the event layout of GT4, we will have the driving simulator.
 
I actually thought about buying a new PS2 this weekend (I gave my old one to my Nephew) just to play GT3 and GT4 again, sad ain't it?
 
Played GT for years, I got the Gran Turismo PS combo way back in the late 90's and beat it, then GT2, GT3 & GT4 all 100% all golds. GT4 I got the day of release. I kept playing wile playing GT5P (old school backwards compatible system) Since I got GT5, GT4 has been retired.

The screen shutters in GT4 really gets annoying I have to say. I beet GT4 100% all golds, then I got GTPSP and killed it.

In EVERY edition of GT after I get all golds in every event, I rarely run a career mode race unless grinding for cash, I spend the majority of my time running time trials tuning cars to their limits pushing the barriers. NOBODY can get faster speeds in GT4 then me, I dare you to try and top 390+mph.

Career mode has always been tedious and boring in GT since the first GT. At least we have come so far as to have series events from Go-Karts to NASCAR.
 
just because I hadn't played it in a long time and I was curious to compare it to GT5. Wow, big difference. I'm not big on comparing physics and all the aesthetic issues, but GT5 is worlds better in all aspects. As it should be, I know.

I actually have gone back to GT3 over the years more than GT4, because I like it better for some reason. But GT5 driving makes it a bit difficult to go back now, except I do enjoy the career modes better in both GT3 and GT4.

Just wondering, did you remember to set everything in GT4 away from "easy" physics?
 
GT4's advantage over GT5? The amount of races to do.
 
-ability to fast forward replays
-more photomode locations
-save game in the middle of any enurance race.

Don't care about the fast forwarding (don't watch replays a lot) or photo mode locations (happy with the ones in GT5) but, I completely forgot about the save game during endurance races!:scared:
 
GT4 had the events arranged perfectly, the way B-spec was implemented was perfect, more tracks etc.

GT5 has so much more immersion thanks to the detail, cockpit view, HD, etc.

If PD can get the immersion and simulation of GT5 with the event layout of GT4, we will have the driving simulator.

+1. It seems like new A-spec events would be relatively easy to implement, based on how PD seems to be able to crank out seasonals without much fuss. I would even take 'standard' versions of El Capitan, Seattle, Midfield, Apricot Hill and Red Rock Valley, if that what it would take to get them into GT5.
 
I actually thought about buying a new PS2 this weekend (I gave my old one to my Nephew) just to play GT3 and GT4 again, sad ain't it?

I did this as well. Just yesterday I was pricing PS2's on EBay. I must be pretty sad too. I really miss 3 & 4. :crazy:
 
Can someone explain to me why some of the tracks are no where to be seen in A-Spec or Seasonal Events?
 
With todays HD graphics and high polygon 3D models it takes a lot more manhours and money to deliver the same content that you had in the PS2 days.

You also have to consider that all the Internet related features like online racing also take a lot of time and resources.

Yes, GT5 has less content than GT4 but it has online play that GT4 did not have and a sim level physics engine that GT4 did not have. These things are not free.
 
Just wondering, did you remember to set everything in GT4 away from "easy" physics?

No! I didn't see that option. I was thinking there were some driving options, like TCS adjustment etc, but I'd forgotten where to change them. I need to find them and try it again. I started a new save, and mostly just got all Silvers in the first license test to win my Lupo and Kusabi! The cars felt like they were floating around on ice, just didn't feel realistic.
 
GT4 - Better career and A-Spec. Bigger game.

GT5 - Better physics and graphics. Smaller game.

So I'm expecting them two to be merged together for GT6. Please, PD. Deliver this.
 
I can't help but think that GT5 is today's GT3. A GT3 with a lot of GT2's cars included. I may be delusional, but I think GT6 will be what GT4 was, and then some.
 
GT4's challenges were incorporated into the Licences in GT5. In GT4 you could save mid championship but not in the middle of an endurance race. GT4 had more events, but they were just as easy/easier than the A-spec events in GT5, more quantity but not really more quality.

GT4 lacked special events, it had a massive list of rally type events that were mostly easy grinding. GT5 has the special events which are (in my eyes) a pleasant new feature.


GT4 was great sure, but some people need to take off those rose tinted glasses.
 
GT4's challenges were incorporated into the Licences in GT5. In GT4 you could save mid championship but not in the middle of an endurance race. GT4 had more events, but they were just as easy/easier than the A-spec events in GT5, more quantity but not really more quality.

GT4 lacked special events, it had a massive list of rally type events that were mostly easy grinding. GT5 has the special events which are (in my eyes) a pleasant new feature.


GT4 was great sure, but some people need to take off those rose tinted glasses.

I think A-spec was alot harder in GT4, cause you had restrictions.

Instead of special events GT4 had special missions, alot of them which I thought was really challenging.

In the end I think GT4 was a much more solid game.
 
GT4 - Better career and A-Spec. Bigger game.

GT5 - Better physics and graphics. Smaller game.

I agree with this and I think this sums it up succinctly.
 
gt2>gt1
gt4>gt3
gt6>gt5

odd #'s is the test phase and even #'s is when they get it right
 
I can't help but think that GT5 is today's GT3. A GT3 with a lot of GT2's cars included. I may be delusional, but I think GT6 will be what GT4 was, and then some.

I thought GT5P was supposed to be todays GT3 and GT5 was supposed to be the real deal...

Sure GT5P bears the Prologue monicker but other than by name it's entirely a game of itself and fits squarely into the "odd numbered" GT rule in terms of timing, content and pricing.
 
GT4's challenges were incorporated into the Licences in GT5. In GT4 you could save mid championship but not in the middle of an endurance race. GT4 had more events, but they were just as easy/easier than the A-spec events in GT5, more quantity but not really more quality.

GT4 lacked special events, it had a massive list of rally type events that were mostly easy grinding. GT5 has the special events which are (in my eyes) a pleasant new feature.


GT4 was great sure, but some people need to take off those rose tinted glasses.


I agree with this. GT5 has better quality events. For those of you who don't remember, yes, GT4 did have a ton of races to do, but it's just the same one event over and over again except with different opponents and more laps each time. This is especially apparent with the rally events. The manufacture events also were scattered all over the place and pretty bland.

I did like, however, like a few things about the manufacture races. There were a lot of them, and they required you to buy all types of cars from different makers, so you had try out different cars whether you liked it or not (unless you could care less about getting 100% I cared... I wanted that all-black FGT :guilty:). Not to mention, many of the main events offered a lots of prize money, and re-winnable prize cars.



Regardless GT4 felt like a much more refined game. I played it to death for years, and even after I got all golds in the licenses and reached 100%, I never really stopped playing. I've only had GT5 for, what? 2-3 months now? And I'm sitting at 94% completion. I went through the game legitimately, before I discovered trading after I reached level 25 A-spec (yeah yeah... I'm a duper/dishonest wanker/cheater whatever it is you guys think of me :rolleyes:). The races are all horribly underpaying. For example, I did the Indy 500 last night. Used the X2010 for an easy cruise to victory (whatever :grumpy:), and I was awarded only 247,000cr? Seriously?! The exp. was nice, but c'mon, a race that's a little over two hours gets me that? Where's the sense of reward for going through that? Dude, the first GT offered more prize money in its events! Geez. I can only imagine what the longer endurance races will be like...
 
Last edited:
I can't help but think that GT5 is today's GT3. A GT3 with a lot of GT2's cars included. I may be delusional, but I think GT6 will be what GT4 was, and then some.

That's what I thought too. Apparently the first for a console generation is never the optimum.
 
If you think about it GT5 has ALOT more content then GT4. GT 5 has online that delivers a continuously developing and improving group to race with and continuously changing races and events. On top of all that it has Single Player.

I also don't see what the issue is with people feeling the events are too easy. What exactly is stopping you from just running lower HP cars, lower grade tires or even lowering the hP of whatever car your in? The challenge is whatever you make it, if you find it too easy you're just incapable of using the game to it's fullest and the fault is not in the game but user error....

User Error!
 
Sadly GT4/GT3 died for me when new gen games were released. Compared to those, GT4 has an awful grapics, physics, car models. Yes, it still a way ahead of about every racing game content wise, but it's outdated. Just like GT2 was when GT3 were released.
And it's not rpgs that sometimes ages very well. I mean, i can replay to a 15+ years old rpg, because i like battle system/story/etc and graphics are not important at all, but in racing games physics and graphics are very important as well, so...
Anyway, i spent over 2 years playing and replaying to GT4, a little less with GT3 and about a year for GT2. It took me less than 2 months to get bored with GT5.
If GT6 will be released on PS3... maybe then we'll get a proper GT game, i it will be released on PS4, then it most likely will be another GT5. PD will spend ages on new graphics, physics and car models, but no on content.
 
Back