So my father is getting a new Mazda...

  • Thread starter Thread starter TopHat
  • 65 comments
  • 2,767 views
Messages
7,153
Messages
killermrk
Messages
KillerMRK2
It's now down between the new Mazda6, and the RX-8. Sounds like a no-brainer right? The thing is, he's genuinely torn between the two cars. Does anyone know how the RX-8 rides? Does it beat you up or anything like that? Any really big reliability issues my father should know about? Both of them are really nice cars, and both of them have my stepmothers approval. It could go either way. Thoughts? Any really compelling case for either car?
 
If there's any complaint that's been leveled at the RX8, ride-wise, is that it's a little too soft... not hardcore enough.

But the Mazda6 would be more practical, with more space and if the new American one drives like the new global one, it shouldn't be much less exciting (in the corners, at least) than the RX8, with possibly better straight-line performance if you get the V6.
 
It's now down between the new Mazda6, and the RX-8. Sounds like a no-brainer right?

Not exactly

You have to consider if the extra practicality the 6 has will be put to good use.
 
I love rotarys but long-term wise he would probably be happier with the v6 which doesn't drink oil and probably gets better gas mileage (not 100% on the mileage but for it's size the rotary is not very fuel efficient)
 
So the MS3 is out of the equation? That costs less than the rx8
 
So the MS3 is out of the equation? That costs less than the rx8

I was sort of wondering the same thing, since it sort of fits between the other two nicely...
 
Hmm... I'd be torn too. The 6 looks pretty good especially if they make a hatch version. The RX-8 has always been a nice car to me and the suicide doors are better than I thought as well as the back seat (at least for me, even though I wouldn't ever be back there.) :D
 
Mazda6 has the better back seat... torquier engine (I won't even bring oil-eating into it... the RX8's rotary is actually pretty reliable... drinking oil is a normal part of rotary operations... heck... many "tight" hi-po engines drink oil regularly)... and it looks great. Hell... I want the new Mazda6 2.5 myself.
 
Thoughts? Any really compelling case for either car?

I'd say the 6... Any chance you or another person will need to ride in the back seat? If so, I'd strongly recommend the 6. 👍
 
I've driven the RX-8 ; I thought the ride was excellent for a sports coupe. I've also driven the old 6 and between the two, it's a no-brainer unless you need the space --the 8 is cramped in the back and has a tiny trunk.

Haven't seen or driven the new 6 though. It looks like a big step up in size and quality. The old 6 was a little cheap on the inside and was generally unrefined.

Of course, he needs to drive them both before making a decision. Aside from the obvious pluses of the 8 (drives great), he should be aware of the minuses.

-Fuel consumption is high considering power output (only middling) and weight (light).
-Roof is low. If he is tall, his head will probably hit the headliner on moonroof models.
-Small. Front seats will bash the knees of rear seat occupants. Claustrophobic when you're back there. Trunk is huge ... if you compare it to a Miata. Tiny if you compare it to anything else.
-Early models have a reputation for flooding motors. I dunno if this has been resolved yet. Worth a look into.

Pluses? Drives fantastically well. Great steering, great chassis, great fun. GT model of the car is well equipped. The interior is classy. Front seats are good. If your dad has any sort of "car-guy" in him, he will really like the way it drives. I came pretty close to getting one a few years ago.


M
 
He should know that there is a new model RX-8 coming out for '09 as well, with new engine and other revisions. How these stand to effect the car is unknown. There is a new enthusiast-oriented model, the R3.

Not sure of his age and preferences. What's he owned in the past?
 
O.K. He's 48, and the sportiest car he's ever owned was an Acura TL. The 6 would be a 4 cylinder, and at most there'd be 3 people in the car at any one time. If we needed to take more people we have a Honda Pilot.
 
You'd of course be the one stuck in the back seat in that case I do believe, am I correct?

It's gotta be better than an SN95 Mustang (1994-2004) so... It should be acceptable if you're a bit shorter than I am (5'11).
 
drinking oil is a normal part of rotary operations

that's exactly my point, there's no way to avoid it, and thus it is something to consider when thinking about buying...
 
You're right, it is a no brainer!

medium_2476127192_805474554b_o.jpg


Yes please... With the 2.5L I4 and a stick. Oh, and feel free to add the sport package. Its a great looking car with wonderful dynamics and more than enough room for the whole family. Go for the 6, its a damn-good car!

----

Don't get me wrong, but the RX-8 is a nice car with this year's refresh...

medium_2193509306_7f7f94c870_o.jpg


But with the really sub-par fuel economy, the awkwardness of the rotary engine, and the "yeah I have four doors, good luck using them" design... Well, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when you can buy a Mustang GT for the same price and end up coming out about the same.
 
Its a great looking car with wonderful dynamics <SNIP>

...and you know this... how exactly? The car's not even out yet.


But with the really sub-par fuel economy, the awkwardness of the rotary engine, and the "yeah I have four doors, good luck using them" design...

How is the engine awkward?

Have you tried to use the doors on an RX-8?


M
 
...and you know this... how exactly? The car's not even out yet.

Same way he knows everything else...

The new 6 looks pretty nice, but unfortunately they gave it "Camry/ES300 eyes".
 
Same way he knows everything else...

Magic?

===

Its based on its predecessor (which is still my favorite of the "reasonably priced saloons") and the early reviews/previews I've read so far, its still quite the car. They have thrown in a few extra compromises on performance, that has been my understanding, but if you're at all familiar with the origional it was probably needed to get a few more sales out of her.

As for the "awkwardness" of the rotary, I've just never been a fan of the noise or the way it puts the power down.
 
Its based on its predecessor (which is still my favorite of the "reasonably priced saloons") and the early reviews/previews I've read so far, its still quite the car.
That's fair enough, but you need to remember the information is third- or fourth-hand by the time it is posted here, and it shouldn't be treated as personal experience if it is not.

As for the "awkwardness" of the rotary, I've just never been a fan of the noise or the way it puts the power down.

Have you driven one?
 
Same way he knows everything else...

The new 6 looks pretty nice, but unfortunately they gave it "Camry/ES300 eyes".

Odd, coz I find the Camry looks a bit much like the first-gen 6 ;)
 
Have you driven one?

I've ridden in an older RX-7, not the Renesis RX-8. I did have an opportunity to drive one, but oddly, I turned it down. I'm not just much of a fan of the engine, but the rest of the car is pretty damn cool. I was actually very surprised that I could fit in the back of one fairly comfortably.
 
I had the opportunity to drive an rx-8 and a 6 wagon (the latter in arguably the most boring configuration available, a wagon with a 4 cylinder and a 4 speed automatic) nearly back to back and I have to say the 6 was damn near the most fun I've ever had in a front wheel drive vehicle. If it was my money I would probably go for the rx-8 but as an every day car the new 6 will probably end up being better all around in the long run. IMO the old one was so good that you probably won't go wrong with the new. However if you threw the MS3 into the mix I would take it over the other 2, even a well equipped regular 3. Has he thought about that?
 
I'm gonna go against the trend of sensible trousers here and say the RX-8. I'm a fan of the way the engine sounds and goes (if not the fuel consumption) and it's not all that impractical. From what I remember, the back seats are perfectly adequate comfort wise, if a little trickier to get into than your standard saloon. And as you say - if you're after practicality, you've got the cavernous SUV. I mean let's not forget - it might not be a Maybach space wise in the back, but it's certainly not unbearable. Then again I'm no giant, so give it a try yourself.

Having said that... it's not the sensible buy, I suppose. If he can afford to run it, great, but a 6 would probably be a good compromise between both fun and frugal.
 
You'd of course be the one stuck in the back seat in that case I do believe, am I correct?

It's gotta be better than an SN95 Mustang (1994-2004) so... It should be acceptable if you're a bit shorter than I am (5'11).

Nah, It wouldn't be me. It'd probably be my sister in the back. If it was any more than 3 we'd probably take the pilot.

I had the opportunity to drive an rx-8 and a 6 wagon (the latter in arguably the most boring configuration available, a wagon with a 4 cylinder and a 4 speed automatic) nearly back to back and I have to say the 6 was damn near the most fun I've ever had in a front wheel drive vehicle. If it was my money I would probably go for the rx-8 but as an every day car the new 6 will probably end up being better all around in the long run. IMO the old one was so good that you probably won't go wrong with the new. However if you threw the MS3 into the mix I would take it over the other 2, even a well equipped regular 3. Has he thought about that?

I actually just asked him that, and he said flat-out "No". :indiff:

I'm gonna go against the trend of sensible trousers here and say the RX-8. I'm a fan of the way the engine sounds and goes (if not the fuel consumption) and it's not all that impractical. From what I remember, the back seats are perfectly adequate comfort wise, if a little trickier to get into than your standard saloon. And as you say - if you're after practicality, you've got the cavernous SUV. I mean let's not forget - it might not be a Maybach space wise in the back, but it's certainly not unbearable. Then again I'm no giant, so give it a try yourself.

Having said that... it's not the sensible buy, I suppose. If he can afford to run it, great, but a 6 would probably be a good compromise between both fun and frugal.

He's starting to lean toward that camp aswell. Only time will tell.
 
+1 very easy to use

it's funny when offered the opportunity to drive it I all but forgot it had the doorlets, which is actually part of it's appeal in a way.
 
Back