So my father is getting a new Mazda...

  • Thread starter Thread starter TopHat
  • 65 comments
  • 2,767 views
An absolute base stripper Accord runs about what you'd pay for a 2009 6 with a LOT of nice extra kit.

My mom has a 2005 Mazda 6 and while the ride could be better, it's far from annoying or harsh. Other than that, it's an excellent car. Well, I'd rather it not have the slushbox but whatever...
 
An absolute base stripper Accord runs about what you'd pay for a 2009 6 with a LOT of nice extra kit.

My mom has a 2005 Mazda 6 and while the ride could be better, it's far from annoying or harsh. Other than that, it's an excellent car. Well, I'd rather it not have the slushbox but whatever...

I'd like to get my grubby paws on a V-6 with a manual trans.
Alas, it is not to be...
 
OK, that whole "We've Decided on a car!'' thing? I wish it was that easy with my dad. We were bored, so we headed out to a few dealerships. He liked the Dodge Challenger alot, and is now seriously considering it. Also, he drove the Jetta Sportwagen after seeing one on the road. We both really liked it. 👍 I like test driving. Also, the V6 Mustang sounds pretty damn good, just thought I'd let you guys know. :lol:

Also, the Jetta sedan has a larger trunk than the new 6, at least it looked that way.
 
Last edited:
With the Mustang... Pony package FTW if you don't get a GT.

GT does have better resale and over the course of 3 (or was it 5 O.o) years is actually CHEAPER to own on average than the V6 despite the insurance and fuel economy hits.
 
I just did up the Jetta on the VW website. SE trim level.
Nicely equipped (Much like the 6) it should run about $22,500. The Wagon would run about $24,000 and Mazda doesn't offer the 6 in wagon format anymore.
That's about $1,000 less than the 6.
Go with a manual transmission and lop of another $1000.
But the manual is a 5-spd and the Tiptronic is a 6 spd, and may improve economy.
I've noted that many manufacturers are showing slightly better economy with autos than with manuals.
 
Last edited:
So I've been meaning to get back to the discussion, but it's been crazy busy for me this week...


You win. Stupid high-compression BMW motors ruining my blanket statements. :dopey: Nah, I was off mark so...

Like I wrote in another thread, it's not about winning or losing. We're just having a conversation. 👍



VW does it. I've never had the oil light come on. I've had the blinking, flashing, beeping warning come on that tells me there is no oil in the car and that I need to stop now, but not the little light in the instruments that tell you oil is low. I've also been off the dip stick a few times, but no light. All this from a car going through a quart every 1500 miles, within "normal" limits.

Check your oil every time you fill up and you should have no problems.

You know, that's interesting because my wife and I just bought a VAG product a few months ago: an Audi allroad quattro. And we had the opposite problem.

The first major road trip she takes it on, the Oil MIN indicator starts flashing at her. I'm not there, so I tell her to check the oil first thing in the morning and call me. Sure enough, oil checks out fine and goes to the top of the stick.

When I get there, I see the flashing Oil MIN light and after the car settles for a few hours, I check it and it's FULL UP.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your GTI. I've been thinking about getting one for a commuter car. Hope I don't have the same problem!

...oh and checking your oil level every time you fill up is something I would classify as an excessive annoyance. I would expect to do that on an old Jag from the 60s, not a German uber-hatch from the 2000s.


M
 
Back