So now we can "bribe our way to victory"? (PRICES REVEALED, SEE OP)

  • Thread starter Thread starter tankuroded
  • 1,142 comments
  • 69,860 views
Maybe through the store, but not from, say, a card from game stop.
Stig, even though sony owns PD, they don't see a cent from the profits. They actually have to pay PD if they want them to make a product for sony. Weird concept, I know, but thats how it works. Take my job for example, I work as a project manager building computer programs. We are a subsidiary of a bigger company, if they want us to build a program for them, they have to pay us to build it, even though we are a subsidiary.

You have an idea, but I'm not sure if you understand how it works exactly. Sony is the publisher, and PD is the developer. Take into account the retailer that actually sells the game if sold in a retail like Best Buy.

PD does the developing and creating with their budget. Sony may support a bit of developing funding, but their main support is for advertising, manufacturing, distribution, etc. which is a lot of money in itself. If sold in a store, part of the profit goes towards that retail as well. So the split goes towards publisher, developer, retail, or in some situations the marketing company if the publisher uses them.

So in reality, PD gets no where near even half the profit of the game's sales. As for sales on the PSN store, you be sure Sony will get a good share of the profit, because after all Sony is distributing the sales of the game's content in their own market. If you're a developer and want to sell content, there's no free way of doing it.
 
I like this. It takes the true driving simulator a step farther.

One of the most true statements in racing is "He with the most money has the best toys."

It doesn't mean that you cannot compete with a player who buys his cars and races them before he's learned to drive them. IRL I beat up on Porsche and Vette driver at the track all the time. They have better toys but I do not look at them as "not earning the right to drive them" as some in this forum have postured.
 
Maybe the terrible drivers can buy licenses, too! :p

I don't mind other people spending their real world currency for virtual credits, but you'd never catch me doing it. It defeats the purpose of playing the game. Welcome to the Call of Duty generation of gaming: Instant gratification.
 
Last edited:
Ruin A-Spec? Are you serious? It's just you and the computer ... alone. What someone in another country does on their PS3 in the privacy of their own home ... how does that affect you again? I'm truly baffled.

Because how can we ask PD to balance A spec with proper payouts for winning races when their reply is to not fix the game but offer you the ability to buy credits to buy the cars?

Buy legitimising this through giving them these payments what incentive do PD have to make A spec anything but a grind, knowing they can force us to grind for pennies or pay them real cash?

The whole point of A spec is vs cpu progression and always has been. The problems surfaced in GT5 that they heavily overpriced the cars and gave us too few credits for winning the races.

Explain how them fixing this instead of keeping it the same and asking you to pay cash to circumvent a problem that PD created themselves is beneficial to the majority of GT players?
 
If you play online, here is how you might appreciate this change. You hook up with some buddies who all have purchased one of the 20 million dollar cars. They are having a big online event celebration that you want to join. You grind for a couple days and raise 9 million. You are 11 million short a couple of hours before the race. Do you:

a.) Skip the event?
b.) Pay to make up the difference and enjoy the game?
c.) Find a way to get the car illegally?

I ask this question because I've been in this exact situation twice. Once, I skipped the event. That wasn't very fun. The second time, I was gifted a car (Option C) in a way that skirted some rules and such, however, I was able to drive with my friends and have a great time.

Which would you choose?

How about ask them because they are your friends to put an acceptable pp limit for cars you can afford?
 
Initially, I had a bad feeling about this whole thing. I don't know what to think right now to be honest, but I sincerely hope that this won't affect the morale or concept of the game's progression and stick to how it has always been. My fear is that as a lot of people take advantage of such methods, it will give Sony the wrong idea and then goes as far as making normal progression in the game overly gruesome, because that's exactly how free-to-play works.
 
Well, this is certainly something I wasn't expecting with GT. However, its not gonna stop me from getting GT6. Unless I forced to get the money for completing the game (Dirt III anyone?), hardly worth complaining about. I'll play the game I want to with the content I'm getting from my pre-order and get all the cars doing it the same way I've been doing it: playing the game. All this does is weed out who actually can and can't race (which I was already doing anyhow).

Edit: To the OP, technically its not "Bribing" so much as it is "buying" your way to victory.

Because TV Tropes, sir. ;)
 
How about ask them because they are your friends to put an acceptable pp limit for cars you can afford?

Umm, because it has nothing to do with PP limit? If it were just a PP limited race, then I could choose from one of the hundreds in my garage at that PP. Right? And it's not just friends. It's entire racing associations that organize these events. You clearly have no experience with this sort of thing, do you?

Because how can we ask PD to balance A spec with proper payouts for winning races when their reply is to not fix the game but offer you the ability to buy credits to buy the cars?

Ok, clearly we don't enjoy the same aspects of this game. If you find enjoyment playing A-Spec, then yeah, we are not going to agree on much. To me, arguing about balancing A-Spec is like ... arguing about making cat juggling balanced. It seems silly and pointless. A-Spec is practice for the real thing ... online racing. If you get enjoyment from earning cars racing against the slowest computer AI ever invented, imagine your sense of satisfaction when you get online and win a race.

Whatever. Can the game please come faster? Don't know if I can take 16 more days of this whining and complaining. Oh my god.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Completely went over his head @mx5. People see nothing yet hear another and jump to conclusions. Its called sensationalism, google it.
 
The real question is, can I bribe B-spec Bob into early (and permanent) retirement?

Otherwise, I couldn't care less how anyone acquires any vehicle in the game.
 
I real question is, can I bribe B-spec Bob into early (and permanent) retirement?

Only for now, as B-spec will came in a update. ;)
 
And recycling content from a previous generation game isn't?

---

Jeez, everyone getting mad about this must only play GT5 and GT5 only. This sort of time-saver deal is in pretty much every game on sale now and it hardly affects gameplay - especially with the newly-restricted career events. That multi-million credit hypercar is a fat lot of good in the 380PP Sunday Cup.

Yes. Some recycled content is not acceptable (like standards), but most of it is welcome to stay forever in the present and future of the series.

And no. At least me, I not only play GT5. I have hundreds of other games that I love playing too. It's been months since I haven't played GT5 so when I get GT6 I can enjoy it even more. Other car games don't manage to grab my interest for more than a week or so. So I'm gladly waiting for GT6 and once I get it I won't be on a rush to have the latest super-hyper-uber sports car, or rush through events. I like to savor my games; especially Gran Turismo.

I don't mind taking months to go through the game starting with a used econo-box and making my way up the ranks, as I don't mind reviving the same events that have been since the first GT. That's the fun of Gran Turismo and it's what will keep me entertained for a long time.

If people want to pay to get everything from the beginning, then who am I to judge? They can do it. It's just something I don't care for and to my logic, it's just ruining the experience. Then again, everyone experiences the game in different ways. Some people enjoy the game for themselves, some others just use it as a means of competition, and of course, they'll want to have the fastest cars in the shorter period of time to go online and brag about being the fastest.
 
You have an idea, but I'm not sure if you understand how it works exactly. Sony is the publisher, and PD is the developer. Take into account the retailer that actually sells the game if sold in a retail like Best Buy.

PD does the developing and creating with their budget. Sony may support a bit of developing funding, but their main support is for advertising, manufacturing, distribution, etc. which is a lot of money in itself. If sold in a store, part of the profit goes towards that retail as well. So the split goes towards publisher, developer, retail, or in some situations the marketing company if the publisher uses them.

So in reality, PD gets no where near even half the profit of the game's sales. As for sales on the PSN store, you be sure Sony will get a good share of the profit, because after all Sony is distributing the sales of the game's content in their own market. If you're a developer and want to sell content, there's no free way of doing it.
PD is an actual subsidiary of Sony. So the relationship goes further than just publisher/developer. But you are right about publishing, I had not considered this aspect. Publishing is not a side I deal with.
 
Completely went over his head @mx5. People see nothing yet hear another and jump to conclusions. Its called sensationalism, google it.

No I understand what he wants but maybe divorcing adspec from online is an option.

Maybe upping endurance race prizes from 150k to 3-5 million would be a more fan friendly option and other races and race series by similar mulitplies. Surely this is a better solution that rewards the user?

Honda dual note or mazda 110s and 200k credits reasonable endurance prizes? Not to me. These things need to be fixed not band aided by a buy your credits profiteering play.
 
Whatever. Can the game please come faster? Don't know if I can take 16 more days of this whining and complaining. Oh my god.

So you believe the whining will stop at game release? :lol:

The richness of irony in those that whine about the whiners. :D

Nobody is holding you hostage, forcing you to read the whining.

Whining and hyping are what internet forums are all about. Don't hate the players, hate the game. ;)
 
I think some of the problems people are having here about this "issue" is a difference in how we treat the game.

For some it is a game to be beaten, completed. They just want that platinum trophy for bragging rites, the sooner they can get it, the bigger the brag.

For others, it is a game to be played and never "completed". They could care less about trophies, the game is about races and the tools of those races, the cars. Gran Turismo for them will never be completed. They will be finished with a GT disc only when a NEW GT comes out to replace it.
These people aren't cheating the game, they are doing what it takes to do those things the game requires to get all the tools , perhaps, but they are not skipping parts of the game just to go for that "I got Platinum on GT5 before you, you LOSER!" moment.

They really could not care less. And they will still be racing when the braggarts are looking for something to do now that the game is "over" for them.

Who cares if someone has all the trophies and I don't? Who cares if I have all the cars and you don't?

Who needs trophies? But if you need a car for a particular event or online race, isn't it nice to know there are people like me with the car they can and will send you, even if they did either grind the game or perhaps pay for a few credits to get them?

Keep this in mind.
 
To me, arguing about balancing A-Spec is like ... arguing about making cat juggling balanced. It seems silly and pointless. A-Spec is practice for the real thing ... online racing. If you get enjoyment from earning cars racing against the slowest computer AI ever invented, imagine your sense of satisfaction when you get online and win a race.

Not everyone enjoys the game the same way you do. Just because online racing exists doesn't mean A-spec should just be negelected. I want to enjoy a good career mode before I even race online. And sometimes, I just want to sit back and enjoy the game itself instead of having to rely on other people to have a good time. There are a lot of us who enjoy the offline aspect of GT, because that's what the first four games were ever about.
 
So... what's the point of playing then??? If all cars are going to be available on the dealers, and we can even buy credits... why bother??? That means you could complete your car collection in a day... :yuck:

Where's the challenge? :odd: Where's the old PD that made 4 great games (count 5 with Tourist Trophy) before GT5???? :confused:



This so much... PD are getting one thing right and 3 wrong... :banghead:

Only good thing of this: It's optional. If I buy GT6, I'm not gonna use this...

Not everyone plays the game the same. Some people find no fun in playing "Ring Around the Rosie" with brain dead AI. Some people don't care about collecting cars. They just want to race. If you like the "challenge" of grinding and "competing" against the computer, then knock yourself out. Me personally.. If I could pay $10 to acquire all cars from the start and circumvent the tired/boring/old career mode that used to be "fun" back in 1998 I would do it in a heart beat. I just want to go online and race with my friends. The artificial "progression" where you're limited by credits, and forced to repeat races in order advance should have died ages ago. GT's career mode is about as entertaining as watching a youtube videos of dogs chasing their tails. This is only my opinion of course. I'm no more qualified to judge you for finding career mode fun as you are to judge me for spending $$$ to skip it completely. The problem lies in Kaz/PD's decision to dictate how everyone should play the game. Regardless of preference, everyone is forced to grind.
 
I want to play the version of Madden where I only get 25 of the teams to start and I have to jump through all sorts of hoops if I want to get access to the other ones. And there's no exhibition mode where I can use them all to play with my friends in person or online. But they nicely offer me an option to pay them money to unlock the other 7 teams right away. In that crazy reality, I hope EA would get laughed out of existence.

This.

Content used to be unlocked through your own personal time/work spent on A-Spec.

Now, content can be unlocked through the use of real world money.

Doesn't my purchase of GT6 then, bought with real world money, entitle me to that locked content?



Money now buys A-Spec content. What's wrong with the money I handed over to buy the game?
 
The real question is, can I bribe B-spec Bob into early (and permanent) retirement?

From what I've seen so far, it looks like PD has already done that for you (well except for the bribing part)
 
The digital pre-order announcement said:


That means we can buy in-game money for REAL CASH. Sounds like this trope, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Discuss.

YES WE CAN!

Like we could with GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4 and GT5, the difference this time is instead of paying someone else to boost you up, now you pay Sony directly, but you still have to pay someone if you don't want to do the work yourself.
 
Initially, I had a bad feeling about this whole thing. I don't know what to think right now to be honest, but I sincerely hope that this won't affect the morale or concept of the game's progression and stick to how it has always been. My fear is that as a lot of people take advantage of such methods, it will give Sony the wrong idea and then goes as far as making normal progression in the game overly gruesome, because that's exactly how free-to-play works.
My thoughts exactly.
 
For others, it is a game to be played and never "completed". They could care less about trophies, the game is about races and the tools of those races, the cars. Gran Turismo for them will never be completed. They will be finished with a GT disc only when a NEW GT comes out to replace it.
You said it dmcallis. This is me to the tee. This is my race Sunday. This is a sim, not a mere game. I've completed maybe 75% of GT5, yet spend anywhere from 2 to 20 hours a week playing. This game is about racing, the trophies I'm hunting are the game doesn't give to you.
Hayl has a pretty good point too, the whole forum thing.
 
Last edited:
Buying game credits with real money, dumbest thing I have heard. If your that desperate for game credits, get a life.
 
Part of the fun of a new GT game is, in the early stages, scraping enough money together to buy another car to compete in a higher level event and hope that your purchase actually pays off. Sometimes it doesn't quite and you have fight for every single Cr you earn.

I love progressing while teasing myself looking through the showrooms. Buying Cr is not something I will ever do but for those that cannot commit as much time as they want to GT6 it is useful.
 
Considering the struggle Polyphony had developing GT for this generation, and the growing trend of micro-transactions, I think this was inevitable. While I'm sure PD have been monetarily successful, I can't help but think they had to take some hits during production. Hopefully the PS4 is more forgiving in terms of development costs. I'm sure the costs will still be high, but the much simpler architecture of the PS4 and the improved engine they built for GT6 will hopefully keep costs reasonable. If not, I could see PD implementing more than just in-game currency for sale.

I mean, as long as the micro-transactions don't ruin the game (which I don't see a possibility of considering the nature of racing games) then I don't see any problem with them.
 
Money now buys A-Spec content. What's wrong with the money I handed over to buy the game?

You got the A-spec content you paid for. People buying credits aren't suddenly getting more content than you. They're just getting the cars they want in a smaller window of time. What is so hard to understand here?

The only time you have to pay for new content to be added to the game is when DLC is brought in. (Generally this isn't A-spec content, anyway)

Has it occurred to anyone that some people might not have the time to grind credits for the cars they want? Cause y'know, there are people out there with only a couple hours of free time and I'm willing to bet some of 'em would rather have fun than be stuck in "Grindfest Gran Turismo".
 
The prices of things are shown in some detail on GT's website. Its like people ignore the screen shots shown.

In this picture you can see you have 3 novice races with one "championship". Then a coffee break that requires stars and a national b license. So it looks like even in the beggining youll win a car (saving you money) you can use elsewhere or sell. Notice how the stars increase after "sunday cup" suggesting more races or higher payouts.

sunday cup 6 stars = 2 races, american cup 9 stars = 3 races, same for championship.
1 star = bronze, silver = 2 stars, gold = 3 stars.
 
Buying game credits with real money, dumbest thing I have heard. If your that desperate for game credits, get a life.
Some people already have a life in the form of a job (or more). Some people might not have as much free time as others. The credit packs are a good alternative for grinding because those people already "have a life".
 
Back