Solving the DLC problem

• Thread starter LeGeNd-1
  • 56 comments

LeGeNd-1

Premium
Australia
Australia
GTP_LeGeNd-1
OK, I'd like to start by saying that I'm probably one of the biggest GT fans out there. Not in terms of games owned or how lavish my gaming equipment is, but in terms of how much these games mean to me and how much I support PD, Kaz and co. So don't just slag this thread off as another one of those complaining/whining/butthurt threads.

To the respected mods, I'm aware there are threads discussing the DLC, dissapointment about the 2.0 update and Amar's thread, but I feel this issue deserves its own thread so it stands out more to the community, and hopefully to anyone at Sony/PD reading these forums.

As we all know GT5 has its flaws and weird design choices, but so far I'm willing to overlook them just because they're mostly small niggles. I always said to myself that as long as the driving feels good, nothing else matters. And GT5 has exceeded my expectations in that respect. However, with the latest DLC announcement and info in Amar's thread, I've decided that I had enough of PD's nonsense. I can hear you say "Go play another game then" or "Don't buy the DLC if you don't like it". You see, no other racing game comes close to GT in terms of giving me the feel of enjoyment of driving, so switching games is not an option. And unlike some here, I was ecstatic about the Spec 2.0 update and DLC, until I learnt of this problem today (which I have suspected since the DLC announcement). The point of this thread is to make Sony/PD see some sense, and make GT an even better game for everyone in terms of enjoyment. So, let's cut to the chase...

The Problems
1. We can only get one of each DLC car. It's not buyable from the dealership, and you cannot trade/dupe them in ticket/car form.
2. Only 1 chip for each DLC paint. Again, they are untradeable.

Why the fuss?
1. Permanent engine wear starts at 15,000 km/9375 mi (even with rebuilt)
Some of us drive A LOT. GT games has always been about driving enjoyment. Knowing at the back of your head that one day your car is going to lose power takes away the carefree fun and enjoyment of driving these cars.

Those of you saying "Permanent engine wear is realistic, deal with it". Well, in my view ultra realism has its place: real-life. The reason why we enjoy driving games is because we can do things in it that we can't in real life. That includes not worrying about getting killed, paying repair bills, fuel & tyres, insurance, unavoidable deterioration of your car, etc etc. Having these things in-game is cool for 1 minute, then it gets extremely frustrating because it adds absolutely nothing to gameplay enjoyment. Unless you're a masochist, but I doubt most people are.

2. Some upgrades are permanent (NA tune, chassis reinforcement, weight reduction)
A lot of people here (me included) like to be able to drive a car stock, and also tune the hell out of them. Since we can't remove the permanent upgrades, the only way to enjoy a stock car is to buy another one. I have no beef with these upgrades being permanent, but at least allow us a way around it, even if it's circuitous.

3. What if we want multiple cars in multiple colours?
Repainting you car over and over gets annoying. And we have a limited supply of the DLC colours. Also, sometimes you just want to have multiple colours sitting in your garage at the same time. Could be for tuning categorization, or just because you love that car so much you can't decide what colour to have it in. In my case, repainting a car takes away my 'bond' with it. So if I like it in more than 1 colour, I'll buy a couple instead of repainting it now and again.

4. We paid for it with REAL money, so we should get more than just 1 VIRTUAL copy of each car/paint
Self explanatory really. As it stands now it's as bad as EA's rip-off with NFS DLCs.

Solution Ideas
1. Make cars buyable from dealership or as RM versions of their respective models - IMO, easiest to implement and most logical way of solving the problem. The RM method doesn't work with X2011 and karts though, so they HAVE to be in the dealership.

2. Add full restore option to GT Auto - resets everything to 0/0/0 and uninstalls all upgrades. You can make it cost 2 million, but at least let the option be there. Doesn't solve problems 3/4 however.

3. Make DLC cars impervious to engine wear - allows PD to keep their loved [/sarcasm] feature for all other cars, but an exception for DLCs because of their unique one-for-each-player nature. This doesn't solve problems 2/3/4 however.

4. Unlock stock version in Arcade if you have it in GT Mode - the way it was in GT4. Again, this doesn't solve problems 1/3/4.

5. Infinite DLC paint supply - no brainer decision, especially since the whole paint chip idea is retarded to begin with. There's an interim solution here, but it doesn't work for cars that are untradeable.

To go a step further, they could implement a paint shop system:
- 3,000 cr if you paint using chip received from buying a car, daily bonus, garage number bonus, or DLC paint.
- 5,000 cr if you've received that colour before, but don't have a chip right now.
- 10,000 cr to buy a chip you've never received before (you can pick from a list of all the colours available in-game). Also adds colour to your 'history' so you only pay 5,000 cr for subsequent use.
- 20,000 cr to buy a chrome/matte paint you've never received before. Adds to 'history' so you pay 5,000 cr for subsequent use.
- 30,000 cr to unlock paint wheel (also allows different textures). Gives virtually unlimited paint to choose from. Pay 5,000 cr every use.

There you have it. This problem actually started way back at release for those of us lucky enough to get the Stealth/Chromeline cars. But back then I thought it's just a one-off thing, so I'll deal with the oversight. But with DLC, and assuming there are going to be more in the future, this stupidity just doesn't work. Imagine if they start putting out road car DLCs. If you can only have one Lambo Aventador, one Lexus LFA Nurb Ed, one Ferrari FF. How silly would that be? Exactly.

Those who agree, you can help by voting for this in the feedback section (http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums...ow-us-to-obtain-more-than-1-of-each-dlc-car-p). Post more justifications and solutions below to give PD ideas to fix this problem 💡 Maybe even tweet Kaz directly if you can. Or maybe even email Sony 👍

Those who disagree, also feel free to post your thoughts below. It's always good to hear what the other side thinks 👍

Of course, the DLCs may be delivered in a completely different way to Amar than to the rest of us. In the event that we get to purchase the cars multiple times, and paints are multiple use, I will look like a complete idiot, and I'll happily eat my own words, this post, this hat right here --> :dunce: and crawl into a rock.

UPDATE: It's now confirmed that cars and paints are ONE use only. Both are UNTRADEABLE. You CAN repurchase them from the PSN store to get another copy, but that is hardly a viable solution over the long term. As far as business strategies go, I feel this is pushing it 👎

UPDATE 2: Kaz has confirmed through twitter (https://www.gtplanet.net/dlc-cars-to-be-purchaseable-in-game/) that an update in December will allow those who've bought the DLC to buy the cars off the dealership. This update will also solve the account lock issue on the same PS3. No words yet on the region lock issue as far as I'm aware. To PD/Kaz: Thank You for considering our issues and solving them. They're very much appreciated and will go a LONG way in restoring the community's faith in PD as a world-class, honourable developer. Once again thank you. 👍👍

Also, sorry for the long-winded post. I don't usually do massive posts, but I just feel the need to get this particular problem off my chest. I spent a good part of 2 hours to type this post, but hopefully it'll be worth it. Many thanks if you've read this post in its entirety :)

Such a simple rethink and fix, Sony/PD, will make GT5 an infinitely better game for all. Thank You.

:cheers:

LeGeNd-1

Last edited:
I like the idea of buying paints, but then every man and his dog will be driving around in gold chrome Veyrons online and that would be very annoying.

About the cars, the only real solution is to add them to NCD and about the paints......i have a feeling that if you want to paint more cars/rims you will have to buy them again and again.
Something like the special choke's in hustle king. That you can use them limited times amd after that you have to re-buy them.

Agree 100 % with everything. We paid £40 for the game with an ability to re-buy the cars in the dealerships as much as we want so why (and this is all guess work at the minute cos nobody actually knows) wouldn't the dlc cars we're buying now be added to the dealership to buy over & over again. Its a no brainer. Make them untradable if you must but at least let us buy more than 1.

And the same applies to everything else on the dlc list

Toss away game data, reinstall game, redownload DLC from PSN Store and you're good to go with brand new cars, gear and paints I think. 👍 Maybe the DLC even shows up in the XMB as a seperate thing that you can delete and it won't require the deletion of your whole game data. Of course, we won't know for sure until somebody tries this. ;)

Im not too picky when it comes to permanent engine wear, but everything else seems like a good idea. Im quite surprised they made the "Touring Cars" separate vehicles. They should, without the shadow of a doubt, be race mods! Also one thing to point out is if PD limits the Karts even more online, where only the same kart is used by every player (i.e. everybody in KART Jr.s), that would be VERY annoying. I believe they should be limited based on your A-Spec Level, such as a Level 2 person drives a 125, while a perfect level 40 person pushes the Jr. to it's limits. It may sound stupid, but it may come down to a great idea in the end.

Toss away game data, reinstall game, redownload DLC from PSN Store and you're good to go with brand new cars, gear and paints I think.
That's not the point. What you are saying is still a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

That's not the point. What you are saying is still a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
So what? It still could be a valid workaround, until PD fixes the broken system (and I doubt they ever will, since they obviously consider it a feature rather than a problem).

EDIT: BTW, it's definitely not possible to hit the 'download DLC' button more than once and get the stuff in there again?

If that's how you wish to interpret it, that's fine by me. All I'm saying is there are probably ways around it already. And we don't even know for sure if this will even be a problem.

OP... You are such a dork for writing all that.

dang, man.

This is gran Turismo. You start with 1 car on 1 track. The entire game is about limiting you in an entertaining way until you put together some contrived solution for overcoming the challenge of completion.

Until you figure out the value of these not-yet-released things that will become a part of the game, JUST WAIT. If you think something could go wrong, do something else. Jeez. There's only tens of thousands car&track combinations in the game. And that's only if one stock car is on the track.

Eat right and exercise. In 50 years we'll have holo decks and you'll have all the paint colors you want...

Totally agree on what you said about the DLC. I'm the kinda guy who would never use that "rare" paint chip because I would never be able to use it again. If I can only use 1 paint for 1 car then I would not enjoy the pack witch I had purchased. As for the cars, if we only get 1 then I would not feel comfortable driving it. I would probably leave it stock as I would be scared incase any modifications ruined my car.

PD needs to let the DLC cars be available to those who purchased the pack in the New Car Dealership. As you said, the paint should be infinite after you have purchased the pack.

Then, problem solved, everyone happy.

dang, man.

This is gran Turismo. You start with 1 car on 1 track. The entire game is about limiting you in an entertaining way until you put together some contrived solution for overcoming the challenge of completion.

Until you figure out the value of these not-yet-released things that will become a part of the game, JUST WAIT. If you think something could go wrong, do something else. Jeez. There's only tens of thousands car&track combinations in the game. And that's only if one stock car is on the track.

Eat right and exercise. In 50 years we'll have holo decks and you'll have all the paint colors you want...

GREAT solution. *gives sarcastic pat on back*.

Have fun with your limited amount of DLC cars...

Is it confirmed that those paint items are single use only ? I thought those would have been merged with current paint items which could be received randomly after.
RM's cars wont go anywhere, I bet those cars have to been bought from manufacturer in stock, then make it as RM model, while Karts and X1 goes into Gran Turismo dealerhip, correct me if I'm wrong here.

RM's cars wont go anywhere, I bet those cars have to been bought from manufacturer in stock, then make it as RM model, while Karts and X1 goes into Gran Turismo dealerhip, correct me if I'm wrong here.
No, you receive them as tickets.

dang, man.

👍

And the way I overcome the challenge of completion is by not worrying about it. I drive, get better, buy more cars, and as that happens, progress is made. It's not a game like Final Fantasy is.

Also, worrying about the cars losing power? Come on. That's a little ridiculous.

dang, man.

:indiff:

No, the game should teach you how to tackle more challenging cars and driving conditions, not grinding or anything like it(the same grind that you have to do to earn credits to tackle these issues).

Maybe the RM-kits are available in the shop for purchase (after all, the standard cars are already available), but opted PD for including the tickets so everyone can use the RM's without spending millions of credits in the shop.

Want more of them, just buy the standard at the dealer and buy the RM-kit in the shop.

:indiff:

No, the game should teach you how to tackle more challenging cars and driving conditions, not grinding or anything like it(the same grind that you have to do to earn credits to tackle these issues).

Are you saying it's totally same if you drive a Honda S500 than a X1 in Gran Turismo ? No learning involved ?? Got to be kidding me.

Grinding, no one makes you, but every game that has purcheable items (guns, cars whatsoever) will have grinding, we cant change that.
So what makes grinding more acceptable in other game ?

Are you saying it's totally same if you drive a Honda S500 than a X1 in Gran Turismo ? No learning involved ?? Got to be kidding me.

Grinding, no one makes you, but every game that has purcheable items (guns, cars whatsoever) will have grinding, we cant change that.

No, one thing is practice and another is grind, it stops being funny when you have to repeat the same races to just earn credits, instead of learning how to controls the car(remind you that repeating the same race is not equal to driving the same car on different tracks, that's the kind of grind I'm talking about).

👍

No, one thing is practice and another is grind, it stops being funny when you have to repeat the same races to just earn credits, instead of learning how to controls the car(remind you that repeating the same race is not equal to driving the same car on different tracks, that's the kind of grind I'm talking about).
I learned how to drift. I think that says enough about not needing to grind. No one forces you.

I started grinding like hell when the credits were tripled, by the way. Grinding doesn't take away from learning. It should help you learn the car you're using more than anything.

4. we paid for it with real money, so we should get more than just 1 virtual copy of each car/paint
self explanatory really. As it stands now it's as bad as ea's rip-off with nfs dlcs.
I totally agree.

Can anybody check can the cars and paints be gotten again from the GT5 DLC menu button once they're out?
That's the most likely solution to the problem.

Could you not save a 'Stock' setting and then use the other two slots for your tunes?
They're blowing it out of proportion. DLC is what it is.

Try changing the way Sony handles DLC when you're the head, people. DLC IS business.

For Kaz, it's pleasure, since it's his game. All the time that he works, do people think he's playing more than us? I mean, it's his hobby to work at PD (the man's an old school gamer), but he's still away from his family and obviously, not playing as much as some of us are.

If you haven't already, https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226491.

After most updates, there's one of those. It's big, and overseen.

Last edited:
They're blowing it out of proportion. DLC is what it is.

Try changing the way Sony handles DLC when you're the head, people. DLC IS business.

For Kaz, it's pleasure, since it's his game. All the time that he works, do people think he's playing more than us? I mean, it's his hobby to work at PD (the man's an old school gamer), but he's still away from his family and obviously, not playing as much as some of us are.

Do you defend absolutely everything PD do?

Yes DLC is big business but that doesn't mean it has to be delivered in an idiotic way. Like I said in another thread, every single racing game before it has got car DLC right, why can't GT?

NO I don't. If you read other stuff that I say, then you know I don't. I don't mind defending those who deserve to it. It's just who I am. My momma says my my momma says momma says, My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Oh such a good quote.

I'm sorry, you were saying?

Latest Posts

Back