Some Help Please

United States
Lenoir, NC
SonicSupraRZ
Alright, so I decided I wanted to replay the GT series over again until a new one on PS4 comes out. Now usually I just get a car, power it up, win the races and deal with it but this time around I want to do it a different way. I want to play the way the real players do. No Assists or nothing. And I also want to learn tuning so I can be better prepared for a new GT. Can anyone give me some tips and advice on how to really enjoy the game and how to learn without assists and all? Plus tuning advice? I would appreciate it!

Alright, so I decided I wanted to replay the GT series over again until a new one on PS4 comes out. Now usually I just get a car, power it up, win the races and deal with it but this time around I want to do it a different way. I want to play the way the real players do. No Assists or nothing. And I also want to learn tuning so I can be better prepared for a new GT. Can anyone give me some tips and advice on how to really enjoy the game and how to learn without assists and all? Plus tuning advice? I would appreciate it!
Read the tuning guides and get involved with FITT contests as a tuner/tester 👍

@DolHaus is absolutely right! There are 2 excellent tuning guides, one by Mr. Haus and one by @Motor City Hami! They are both excellent and make great bibles for this game! Read these cover to cover, then go look @Otaliema's Transmission guide, it has some very valuable insight on tuning that little mystery box. And when all else fails keep asking questions here in the forum. So mamy helpful people! Good Luck! :cheers:

@DolHaus and @TheInfamousJEW6 are correct about the guides on tuning.
As for learning to drive with no assistants turned on. Just turn off everything but ABS1 and go drive. Start low like race one with in career mode and go through progressively getting higher. If you want to crash course it. Go get a 450ppish FF car put CM tires on it and go drive Silverstone GP 100%water. Once your good at that, up it to 500ish and go to FR. Than again to 550 AWD than 600 MR. By the time you get done with that dry Tarmac with a good tune will be a cake walk. Btw just take the cars out "stock" just upgrade power to reach the PP target. If you crash course it, remember to take regular breaks so you don't break your tv ;)

As for learning to drive with no assistants turned on. Just turn off everything but ABS1 and go drive. Start low like race one with in career mode and go through progressively getting higher. If you want to crash course it. Go get a 450ppish FF car put CM tires on it and go drive Silverstone GP 100%water. Once your good at that, up it to 500ish and go to FR. Than again to 550 AWD than 600 MR. By the time you get done with that dry Tarmac with a good tune will be a cake walk. Btw just take the cars out "stock" just upgrade power to reach the PP target. If you crash course it, remember to take regular breaks so you don't break your tv ;)
I'll def go try this then. I will start with GT5 and work to GT6 this way. As for the guides I'll read them to the fullest to get a good idea of how to start. Is there a forum for time trials on here?? I need to really sharpen my skills with those as they always gave me issues

Read every resource you can. GTP has plenty. Real life has plenty.

Should you really go from 100% wet to 0%? Whenever I did that, my braking distances would be too long and my turnin and trackout would be too early. Sure it's more a matter of experience at that point, but the goal of 100% wet is car control, and constantly varying degrees of grip could demand more.
I would also disagree with learning in the wet, only really teaches you about driving in the wet.

Learning to drive and learning to be fast is a different kettle of fish, there a lot of theory to understand but if you get the basics such as weight transfer and racing lines under you hat then the rest is just practice

Well the entire purpose of wet learning is that weight transfer and (lack of) grip is exaggerated. The idea is that if you can control the car in the wet, then you can control it in the dry. The problem is that in the dry, you're always moving much faster, so braking points are farther and longer, lines are wider, just a whole mess of different things. It's good training, but definitely shouldn't be the focus.
Not good training for an inexperienced driver and only really teaches you to drive cautiously which won't get you far in GT. Works in real life but not in game unfortunately

That's exactly what I mean, speaking of line changes.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/mid-field-raceway-lap-times-for-707-cars.325386/
This person also has times for Suzuka. But he tests cars, not tunes. A fast person is going to be fast even with a shoddy tune.

I think there's also that weekly combo thing, but I don't pay enough attention to that.
Awesome! I'll give them a try. Thank you guys for the help. As soon as the download for the game is fine I'll begin playing again. My original PS3 with all my GT data on it was sadly taken from me. Cruel death!

You guys know where I can find a list of tracks with time trials to learn my suspension tuning on to beat the times??
There is a Nurnbüring track times for GT5 in the race reports sub forum. It never took off in GT6 tho. In the main GT6 forum there is a mid-field track times by one guy but he testing stock tubes in CS tires.

@DolHaus @Frenzyhero goid points I was speaking more to learning throttle, break and car control not lines. Fitbit to put that in the post -_- if he can master a car in conditions so poor you would never see a real race once he hits dry he will have the skill set to hold cars at/near the limit. Than its just practice from there.

You know, after a year or so of no Gran Turismo that opening movie for GT5 almost brought a tear to my eye. Lol. I missed these games so much!

@SupraTurboNinja If you are looking to get into tuning then getting involved with the FITT (Federation of International Tuners and Testers) events is the best way, we welcome people of all skill levels and will be able to offer the experience and knowledge of dozens of quality tuners and drivers from all skill levels.
As a tuner you get to see how your cars compare to some of the top guys on the forum, you also get people driving your cars and giving constructive feedback so you can grow and improve. Because everyone is driving the same cars at the same tracks you can also see how your lap times compare and pick up hints and tips on how they're achieving these times.

As for improving yourself as a driver, just get out there and keep practicing, hop in car you like and drive. The online seasonals give global rankings so you can see how you stack up but don't be disparaged if you're not getting top 1000 or whatever, there are some crazy fast people out there. Don't look at how many people are in front of you, look at how many are behind :lol:

Some good advice on here for you. If you start the game from the beginning, make sure to turn all the driving aides off first thing. Dont be discouraged if you can't get the first few licence tests done without them, just keep trying your best. You will eventually gold them all and the practice will all feel worth it. ABS at 1 is widely accepted on this site so if you give someone else's tune a try, that's probably what they tune with. Good luck and most of all, have fun with it :cheers:

Some good advice on here for you. If you start the game from the beginning, make sure to turn all the driving aides off first thing. Dont be discouraged if you can't get the first few licence tests done without them, just keep trying your best. You will eventually gold them all and the practice will all feel worth it. ABS at 1 is widely accepted on this site so if you give someone else's tune a try, that's probably what they tune with. Good luck and most of all, have fun with it :cheers:
Thanks for the advice. Soon as I get home I'll get to start the game again and play it through. I'll set the settings like that and try try try.

Thanks for the advice. Soon as I get home I'll get to start the game again and play it through. I'll set the settings like that and try try try.
Also set you controller up to use the left stick to steer and either the right stick for throttle/brake or if you want to get left foot braking L2/R2 for throttle brake.Manual transmission as well. With no aids active being able to control wheel spin with a short shift is massively helpful in higher end power cars or harder tires.

Is there anyway to turn the damage on to where it effects the car and all? Plus tire and fuel consumption? May as well learn the hard way so I know to avoid making mistakes. Lol

Is there anyway to turn the damage on to where it effects the car and all? Plus tire and fuel consumption? May as well learn the hard way so I know to avoid making mistakes. Lol
In GT5 I think you enable fuel and tire wear offline I don't remember about damage though, and for GT6 see above.

I know it's not just me, but I can't help wonder why PD disabled that for GT6...
No it's not just you. I feel like GT6 was GT5 1.01 with a new name and "experimental" tire physics.

Yes, absolutely this. When I first started, I learned with the facebuttons as braking and throttle. Now because of muscle memory, I can't swap to the triggers or analogs.
I know he feeling on the switch took me a long time to get used to L2/R2. I always used the left stick for steering. But man it was a change for the throtttle and breaks.
Now mind you, you can still be bloody fast on the face buttons just ask @Pete05 he is crazy fast and is a face button user. But I think he part alien too.

Last edited:
How are you steering if you're using left stick for brakes?
Technically you can map up/down for throttle/brake on your steering stick but I don't recommend that :lol:
L2 is your trigger L3 is the button from pushing the left stick.
Re-reading what I posted I see how the confusion could occur with.
I used the left from the start for steering, []X for throttle brakes, then switched to right stick for throttle/brakes, the switch to L2/R2 for throttle/brake took a lot of getting used too, to keep my thumb busy I started using the stick for shifting.

If you want to get fast AND learn how to tune at the same time, go join the WRS (GTPlanet's weekly racing series).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/gtp-weekly-race-series-time-trials.117/

You get a new car/track combo every week, with a mix of tuning and non-tuning events.

It's a really friendly group and you'll get lots of hints and tips from drivers of all ability levels both on improving your driving and sharing tunes... plus you'll be able to judge your progress against people of a similar and better level.

Good luck 👍

Back