Some major problems with Asseto Corsa

• Thread starter jeep2008
  • 54 comments
Greece
Greece
jeeptj2008
As far as I'm concerned these are the main problems for those who use DS

1) Almost all the cars are very difficult to brake.They skid and brake very late no matter what.

2) There is huge understeer in almost all the cars,especially at slow speeds.

3) I cannot find a way for the steering to feel natural.Tried many of the settings in the forum with little result.Also when I drive from the cockpit the steering wheel moves frantically even with 240 degrees (minimum) set to it.

Anyone got any ideas at all??Cheers!

1) Almost all the cars are very difficult to brake.They skid and brake very late no matter what.

This shouldn't happen if the car has ABS enabled. Regardless, modulate your braking input to avoid locking up the wheels. Slamming the button all the way down isn't advisable. It may take a little practice and it's slightly different for all cars.

2) There is huge understeer in almost all the cars,especially at slow speeds.

Maybe you're going full lock at every turn? Do not turn the steering wheel more than necessary. The sound of the wheels skidding indicate when you're at the edge of optimal traction.

Thanks for all your answers guys.I will try some other settings and see.I'm beginning to believe though that the only good game for DS right now is Gran Turismo 6.

Thanks for all your answers guys.I will try some other settings and see.I'm beginning to believe though that the only good game for DS right now is Gran Turismo 6.
Bear in mind it is never going to feel like GT on DS4. It wasn't made for controllers like all other console games, you have to adapt simple as that. If you're trying to get it to feel like GT then you're probably never gonna be able to enjoy a sim.

I use DS4 when I can't be bothered to set up my wheel, and can get times with it close to using the wheel.

Steering Gamma up to 2.7 or so made the most difference for me, along with a few other tweaks. I haven't changed the degrees of rotation from default. As Nielsen said, AC does not forgive over-steering, so you have to find settings that allow you to be precise with it.

Braking with DS4, well, I'm a lamer who uses the right stick for accel & brake. (I know I can't overlap a bit of throttle while trail braking like that, but I've got the wheel for being 'serious'). Anyway, on the stick I've a habit of braking a bit right of down (SSW rather than due South), slamming it to the edge, which gets about 80% braking, then rolling the stick around the edge modulates it nicely :)

I generally try to appreciate every racing game that caters to my taste, for what it offers. And willing to live with its shortcomings, while appreciating its strengths as well.

AC however, left me sorely disappointed and floaty/understeery control was one of the biggest reasons no matter what setup I experimented with. Ended up returning it soon after.

I find that adjusting my driving style and how I approach the turns usually cures most understeer, I rarely have a problem with it and I generally drive on the default setups.
You use a wheel though right? I use a controller and I'm not experiencing understeer. I wonder if people just aren't adapting after playing other games and just turning full lock instantly?

You use a wheel though right?

Correct

I use a controller and I'm not experiencing understeer. I wonder if people just aren't adapting after playing other games and just turning full lock instantly?

That or they're braking too late. Brake a bit earlier, let the weight settle, then turn in. If you brake late and have all the weight shifted to the front you're possibly going to overpower the front tires and get understeer.

That or they're braking too late. Brake a bit earlier, let the weight settle, then turn in. If you brake late and have all the weight shifted to the front you're possibly going to overpower the front tires and get understeer.
Braking too late in Schwedenkreuz and Fuchsrohre(the last left corner) should cause oversteer,but I can brake throughout the whole turn with BMW M235I Race Car(stock setup) in these corners and the car remains stable.
AC however, left me sorely disappointed and floaty/understeery control was one of the biggest reasons no matter what setup I experimented with.
Raising the tire pressure only in the rear tires has a dramatic effect of the car balance(very sharp turn in)but it makes you a bit slow.

Braking is terrible in this game, it just feels weird.

Road cars feel too bouncy, like their suspension is buggered. I watched a replay earlier of me driving an Audi S1 around Brands Hatch and every corner you can see the outside front tyre clipping through the wheel arch after braking and turning so something isn't right with their calculations.

After finally buying this game a few weeks ago I can honestly say that I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's average at best.

The only thing I've really enjoyed about it is hotlapping the Nordscheife in GT3 cars (which really does feel good), everything else is just boring.

Road cars feel too bouncy, like their suspension is buggered. I watched a replay earlier of me driving an Audi S1 around Brands Hatch and every corner you can see the outside front tyre clipping through the wheel arch after braking and turning so something isn't right with their calculations.

After finally buying this game a few weeks ago I can honestly say that I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's average at best.

The only thing I've really enjoyed about it is hotlapping the Nordscheife in GT3 cars (which really does feel good), everything else is just boring.
You have various eras, drivetrains and levels of performance in road cars. They should all feel slightly or, in some cases, drastically different. Some of the older cars on older rubber or going to have rubbish braking abilities. The more modern cars are of course much better in this regard. The older cars are more softly sprung, the newer cars are firmer. To enjoy them to their fullest, you need to adapt to what a particular car gives you and work with it. You can't use the same driving style with an E30 BMW, an Audi R8 and an Abarth. You have to adapt or they will all feel a little strange.

You have various eras, drivetrains and levels of performance in road cars. They should all feel slightly or, in some cases, drastically different. Some of the older cars on older rubber or going to have rubbish braking abilities. The more modern cars are of course much better in this regard. The older cars are more softly sprung, the newer cars are firmer. To enjoy them to their fullest, you need to adapt to what a particular car gives you and work with it. You can't use the same driving style with an E30 BMW, an Audi R8 and an Abarth. You have to adapt or they will all feel a little strange.

Seriously, stop making excuses for the game. I've been playing driving games for over 20 years and I can tell a bad one from a good one from an average one, not to mention I'm pretty aware that different cars act differently, It's no excuse for the multitude of problems this vastly overrated game has.

The guy politely responds to you with logic and reasoning, and you just turn around and bark "excuses" at him...

You may have been playing games for +20 years, but your post doesn't show the maturity of such age. Be a little more respectful, it'll help in the long-run.

Seriously, stop making excuses for the game. I've been playing driving games for over 20 years and I can tell a bad one from a good one from an average one, not to mention I'm pretty aware that different cars act differently, It's no excuse for the multitude of problems this vastly overrated game has.
Can you be more specific then? Which cars in particular have braking issues? Which tracks were you driving on? What exactly is the issue? What tires are you using? What equipment are you using at home? Is ABS on or off? Can you post a video? The front tire of the A1 clipping isn't a physics issue it's an issue with modeling the car and shouldn't affect how the car handles.

The guy politely responds to you with logic and reasoning, and you just turn around and bark "excuses" at him...

You may have been playing games for +20 years, but your post doesn't show the maturity of such age. Be a little more respectful, it'll help in the long-run.

Personally I don't think there was anything wrong with the post, I was making a point that I don't need someone to educate me on things I already know so I don't see where the problem is. Did I personally insult the guy? No.

Can you be more specific then? Which cars in particular have braking issues? Which tracks were you driving on? What exactly is the issue? What tires are you using? What equipment are you using at home? Is ABS on or off? Can you post a video? The front tire of the A1 clipping isn't a physics issue it's an issue with modeling the car and shouldn't affect how the car handles.

I've tried almost all options on the cars affected (time of day, temperature, tyres, brake pressure and balance, ABS on and off etc) and on different tracks and the result is pretty much the same. It's just bad compared to other games.

Don't know about the car modelling over physics problem, watching a video of a real S1 it acts completely different in corners than the AC version. Either way it's still a problem.

I dont know how the game is programmed but after playing this game for over 700h I can confidently say that the car itself is probably an invisible cube, just like the soldiers in BF series. The cube is sliding on the ground and is probably divided into four pieces(actual tires) of the cube. The car it self/the body and the wheels are only an animation that does not propel the car itself. You can clearly see the car freak out when the car is standing still with one tire on a curbstone.
Some cars can even bug out and the wheels are deep into the wheel arches/housing and you clearly see the car hovering above the ground and yet it moves as nothing has happened.

Other games like PC seems to actually propel the car forward with its tires as it makes the contact with the surface but to be honest AC is still a better driving game than PC right now as it feels more realistic when driving street cars.

Maybe you need to let the tires to warm up before attacking? or lowering pressure when it is not warm enough? Or maybe you are on a server with lower grip? Braking without abs in ac is a bit strange to be honest but I guess it is because me using crappy old g27 pedals.

Last edited:
I dont know how the game is programmed but after playing this game for over 700h I can confidently say that the car it self is a unviseble cube, just like the soldiers in BF series. The cube is sliding on the ground and is probably divided into four pieces(actual tires) of the cube. The car it self/the body and the wheels are only an animation that does not propel the car itself. You can clearly see the car freak out when the car is standing still with one tire on a curbstone.
Some cars can even bug out and the wheels are deep into the wheel arches/housing and you clearly see the car hovering above the ground and yet it moves as nothing has happened.

Other games like PC seems to actually propel the car forward with its tires as it makes the contact with the surface but to be honest AC is still a better driving game than PC right now as it feels more realistic when driving street cars.

Maybe you need to let the tires to warm up before attacking? or lowering pressure when it is not warm enough? Braking without abs in ac is a bit strange to be honest but I guess it is because me using crappy old g27 pedals.

Now that you've mentioned it I did notice the hovering car at first in replays.

I've tried almost all options on the cars affected (time of day, temperature, tyres, brake pressure and balance, ABS on and off etc) and on different tracks and the result is pretty much the same. It's just bad compared to other games.

Don't know about the car modelling over physics problem, watching a video of a real S1 it acts completely different in corners than the AC version. Either way it's still a problem.
"Just bad", is a meaningless statement. You aren't saying anything specific about the braking nor about any specific cars. The problem of the S1 tire coming through the bodywork is just a visual issue, it has nothing to do with the physics. What's different about the handling of the S1 in real life vs. the game? Which characteristics of the real car is the game not able to emulate?

Just wondering: Are you using a DS as well?
Anyway, if you feel there is something wrong with the braking/suspension then you should bring it to the devs attention in the official forums. Under Physics bugs & issues.

Just wondering: Are you using a DS as well?
Anyway, if you feel there is something wrong with the braking/suspension then you should bring it to the devs attention in the official forums. Under Physics bugs & issues.
If he is playing the console version he has to go to the console section /bug report tread....
But really... It isn't worth, because CM and devs practically never enter..
And you don't know if its reported already, been working on it...

Still a lot of bugs and issues are there from day one... Reported again after each update.. The people who report is getting tired to see the difference between the PC version...

The consoles game suport is full job of 505games and it s.🤬

Would really like to see the section alive like the PC version bug/issue treads that is in hands of Kunos..
You post a issue/bug and maximum after a day its tagged and being investigated.

The game on console has a huge potential, but it's a lazy reversioned "port" with a real bad post realese support...

Still enjoy the game for his physics or FFB (playing with Thrustmaster, because G29 still has a huge DoR bug that will be fixed in 1.15 they said)
But i don't expect anymore that this game will achieve to get even near the PC version.. :(
A real shame that sure will make that i don't gonna buy assetto2 on console (if it even will be released on it)

The problem of the S1 tire coming through the bodywork is just a visual issue, it has nothing to do with the physics.

I guess that depends on whether that's where the physics engine thinks the wheel is or if that's just how the position translates (incorrectly) to the graphics engine. If it's where the physics engine considers the wheel to be then presumably that should have a negative impact on the car's simulated handling... providing the rest of the physics engine is doing everything right.

Many years ago I had a Mini that would do something similar in real life, that was definitely the physics engine (and a couple of bolts) :D

Back