Some questions about iracing

• Thread starter Fo Shizzle
  • 13 comments
raptor210232
FrizzleDizle
Do you have to drive clutch and/or manual? If not are there any penalties for not driving with clutch and/or manual?

Is it only american racing like NASCAR, grand prix, indy, etc...?

I dont think there is an automatic option. It is mostly American but its getting more British and worldwide with V8 supercars, Prototypes & GT, & Radicals running at British tracks in some events. They're trying to appeal much more to the international crowd because a large segment hails from England, etc. They even have some Netherlands servers. In prototypes & gt other day I was practicing with some NL guys for example

edit--- btw you can auto-blip so it's really easy. You can also button clutch

There's a semi auto option, this has auto clutch and auto blip for downshifting.

I don't think there is a complete auto option available.

There are all kinds of different cars. Just go to www.iracing.com and look over the website, you will get a much better idea of how everything works.

There is auto-clutch but you still have to change gears manually. Driving this game in full automatic would be really boring.

I agree no racing professional will use an automatic (not in these type of series this isn't drag racing). iRacing is just keeping it real.

Are you trying to figure out if this game is too hard? Give me something to work with here. This sim can be difficult at first. But nowadays they have all the perks a newbie would expect like driving aids, the magic green racing lines, etc. It's gotten much more forgiving. Not to mention the fixed setups. This allows you to focus on driving rather than becoming a race engineer + driver which can be too much for newbies

Holla! Merry Christmas

I'm not a noob and I still don't mess with car setups. Once I get used to the car with the baseline I'll just download a few setups online and use the one that best suits my driving style. I just don't feel compelled to spend hours making adjustments just to get an extra 10th. I guess if I was in the pro series or even in the top 500 or so drivers I might, but right now im not good enough to concern myself with setups much. LOL.

I downloaded some doc explaining setups for Riley, Skippy, etc. But its still too much hassle for me. I vastly prefer fixed setups wherever possible. I even find it too much hassle to switch between setups people give me. Other day in the Riley at Road America right before a race I tried a different setup and cut off like 2 seconds asap it seemed. That's just too big of a jump.

I agree no racing professional will use an automatic (not in these type of series this isn't drag racing). iRacing is just keeping it real.

Are you trying to figure out if this game is too hard? Give me something to work with here. This sim can be difficult at first. But nowadays they have all the perks a newbie would expect like driving aids, the magic green racing lines, etc. It's gotten much more forgiving. Not to mention the fixed setups. This allows you to focus on driving rather than becoming a race engineer + driver which can be too much for newbies

Holla! Merry Christmas

Just wanting to know because if I had a choice then I would go automatic instantly.

I downloaded some doc explaining setups for Riley, Skippy, etc. But its still too much hassle for me. I vastly prefer fixed setups wherever possible. I even find it too much hassle to switch between setups people give me. Other day in the Riley at Road America right before a race I tried a different setup and cut off like 2 seconds asap it seemed. That's just too big of a jump.

Well, different setups benefit each person differently. A setup that makes you 2 seconds faster per lap could make me slower by 2 seconds if we have different driving styles.

Just wanting to know because if I had a choice then I would go automatic instantly.

Well, to be honest, if you would choose automatic, than this game is too hardcore for you and you don't need to play it. Think of the gameplay difference between GT5 and Need For Speed Shift, there is an equal difference between iRacing and GT5. It really is MUCH more difficult and you are penalized harshly for small mistakes.

Anyone know what the "Max system memory to use" slider actually does? I know the gpu is to be set at what memory your gpu is, but this system memory slider makes no sense to me. I have 6 gb of memory and the slider is at 1200mb to use. I heard it can affect performance and while I'm not having any issues just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Anyone know what the "Max system memory to use" slider actually does? I know the gpu is to be set at what memory your gpu is, but this system memory slider makes no sense to me. I have 6 gb of memory and the slider is at 1200mb to use. I heard it can affect performance and while I'm not having any issues just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.
Somebody actually said you should leave the GPU memory like 100MB below its capacity to leave room for overhead. I haven't changed mine from my max, but it never gets close and I would think the game or GPU itself would avoid any complications.

I've maxxed out the system memory bar. I have 8GB of RAM, I forgot what the max on the slider is. 2GB maybe.

My system is a E8400 Core 2 Duo running at 3.6Ghz currently, 1066Mhz 4x2GB RAM, 2x GTX260. Have framerate capped at 135, all settings max except AA and AF turned down some, cockpit mirrors turned off, crowd detail on low, higher quality in mirror unchecked, and something about shadow rendering middle column, second set of boxes) unchecked. Keeps steady at 134-135fps in a race, a little lower on the first lap with a lot of traffic. Rarely any hiccups.

Well, I had a fiddle with that slider and it caused major drama! :dunce: I changed it to reflect my actual RAM (8GB) and when I went to race or practice sessions the PC would lose sync with iRacing servers causing glitches. I assume that I would have appeared as one of those flashing/blinking cars to the other racers.

I set it back to where it was and all was well again. My advice; if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

the_greeze
Well, I had a fiddle with that slider and it caused major drama! :dunce: I changed it to reflect my actual RAM (8GB) and when I went to race or practice sessions the PC would lose sync with iRacing servers causing glitches. I assume that I would have appeared as one of those flashing/blinking cars to the other racers.

I set it back to where it was and all was well again. My advice; if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

Haha, oops.:lol: I seen that slider sitting there for awhile and was curious. Ya, good idea to not mess with it I suppose. Especially since I and many aren't quite sure what it does. Its weird that a slider can affect the performance when you have all these other common graphic settings. Never seen such a thing in a PC game/sim.

I'm running an i7, 6gb ram, and 1gb gtx 260m and the system memory slider is at 1200mb. Its works good, so we'll just leave it. Don't want drama.:lol:

Yeah that setting is like the biblical forbidden fruit. You can probably really hose yourself messing with it. They have all this red text bout tampering with it.

Back