Someone explain Aston Martin to me

  • Thread starter Thread starter fxscreamer
  • 64 comments
  • 3,913 views
Messages
25
I've looked quite a bit at Aston Martins and the models, but I'm still so confused by the models. There's the DB7, DB9, V8 Vantage, V12 Vantage, Vantage S, etc...so many, yet look SOOO similar. What models are supposed to be "better" than the others? Does it matter? This company makes my head spin. All I know is the Vantage vehicles look gorgeous.

Help :scared:

Jared
 
I think the current lineup is;
-V8 Vantage: This is the 'baby Aston', only seats two; unlike the others. In the 70,000£ price range, sales goals are around 5000 a year, it is intended to be the rival of the 911 Carrera. It doesn't look like they make the V12 anymore, I guess it was interfering with DB sales?
-DB9: Midrange product. 100,000£ range, and they want to sell 2000-2500 a year. This car replaced the DB7 in '04 (or, around then).
-Vanquish: This is the top of the range. They only want to sell a few hundred of these a year, for around 160,000£ (:scared: ). The problem with this, is that it started production in 2001 and the newer DB9 is nearly as fast. Aston intends to solve this with the Vanquish S, which may eventually replace the standard trim entirely.

They all look the same in the interest of creating a strong brand image. Or Ford just won't spring for a new one, as the design they have is good enough. :sly:
 
Emohawk basically nailed it, I only have a few small tidbits to add:

The V12 Vantage was the concept that preceeded the Vanquish. It was a much lighter, lower version of the car. The V8 Vantage that Emohawk mentioned isn't in the game, but instead the new model (which is confusing to me personally, since I had heard they skipped from DB7 to DB9 to make the new "entry Aston" DB8 *shrug*). The V8 Vantage in the game is based on the old Virage, using a supercharged Chevy V8.

Hope that helps :)
 
aston martins. the new nissan skylines of GT4... :lol:
 
GT4 should've had some of the older Astons, like this one. :indiff:
 
The most beautiful car in the world is an aston. The Aston Martin DB4 Zagato is unbeatable!
 
0.003497001005396966_aston-martin-db4-zagato_368x271.jpg


It is nice.

then there is this...

http://media.livingwithstyle.com/files/4/7/3/3/4733-aston_martin_(5).jpg
 
Personally I don't really like the DB models that much, I think they look too similar to the XKR Jags (or vice versa, doesn't matter because I dislike both). The Vanquish is a completely different story, such a gorgeous shape. :drool:

Also...

Team666
The most beautiful car in the world is a Lamborghini. The Lamborghini Miura P400 is unbeatable!
Fixed! :D

http://www.gochange.net/ItemPictures/P21131_1.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/lamborghini/miurap400sv2.jpg

http://dhost.info/thesupercars/supercars/lamborghini/miurap400/68miurap400.html
 
Don't forget the DBR-9, a stripped out road going version of the car that they entered in Le Mans this year. Saw it on Top Gear, and it will be released next year I think...
 
If you think the aston range is complicated... Try thinking about the 911's :O
 
TrinityJayOne
Personally I don't really like the DB models that much, I think they look too similar to the XKR Jags (or vice versa, doesn't matter because I dislike both). The Vanquish is a completely different story, such a gorgeous shape. :drool:
I'm supprised to hear anyone say they think DB's arn't that nice looking but the Vanquish is, I find it's the other way round, well I don't think the Vanquish is ugly, far from it but it's the ugliest Aston on sale today, the DB9 has car design perfected, the Vanquish has some odd proportions and sudden changes in style that don't suit the car so much like the rear wheelarches jutting out so suddenly, the rest of the car is a smooth shape, it doesn't go, the lights are too big as well imo and the car looks too fat. As I said I still think it looks better than 99% of the other cars on sale, I just think it's the ugly duckling of the Aston range.
 
SlipZtrEm
The V8 Vantage in the game is based on the old Virage, using a supercharged Chevy V8.

Chevy V8? :odd: I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Firstly, Aston V8s have always had twin overhead cams per bank as far as I know, while Chevy V8s in the '80s and '90s, as far as I know, had their valves operated by pushrods. Also, the Aston V8s, at least up until the current Jaguar based unit, are, I think, aluminium block and head, with wet liners, while the Chevy V8s have iron blocks.

Here's what I believe to be true about the Aston Martin V8 engine: It was designed by Tadek Marek in the '70s, and it was installed in the DBS to form the Aston Martin V8. A more powerful version was released and sold throughout the '80s as the V8 Vantage. This engine had multiple Weber carbs. The AMV8 car was replaced in the early '90s by the Virage, on which the V8 Vantage in GT4 is based. This engine had cylinder heads designed by Cosworth, and was fuel injected. I don't know the history of the block but I believe it was still aluminium and the valves were certainly operated by 2 overhead cams per bank. I would be surprised if the block was not based on Tadek's original design.

At this point I start guessing. I do not know the history of the supercharged V8 that turned the Virage into the V8 Vantage, but I would be surprised if it wasn't based on the Virage's multicam, fuel injected, aluminium V8. Then again, with the financial problems that AM were having in those days, I guess it is possible that it was cheaper to buy a Chevy lump than modify their own engine. If anyone can confirm a Chevy connection, I would love to hear about it.

To get back on topic (sort of) for me the '80's Vantage Volante is the Aston to have. In black.
 
live4speed
I'm supprised to hear anyone say they think DB's arn't that nice looking but the Vanquish is, I find it's the other way round, well I don't think the Vanquish is ugly, far from it but it's the ugliest Aston on sale today, the DB9 has car design perfected, the Vanquish has some odd proportions and sudden changes in style that don't suit the car so much like the rear wheelarches jutting out so suddenly, the rest of the car is a smooth shape, it doesn't go, the lights are too big as well imo and the car looks too fat. As I said I still think it looks better than 99% of the other cars on sale, I just think it's the ugly duckling of the Aston range.
I don't understand that. Not the fact that the Vanquish is ugly, oh no. I sorta agree with that. I don't understand (and don't take it personally, just what I feel) why people find the DB9 to look good at all. I do think it is one of the ugliest Astons ever made. It looks fine from the front, with it's nice, very Vanquish/DB7 like front end. But the back end, specifically the tailights, I can't stand at all. I hate those two level things. That being said:
jet.jpg

Or maybe:
This
 
jcbiker
If you think the aston range is complicated... Try thinking about the 911's :O
Carrera: Rear engine, rear drive, flat 6.
Carrera S: faster
Carrera 4: 4wd and widebody
Carrera 4S: 4wd, widebody, faster
turbo: 4wd, turbo
GT2: more powerfull then the turbo, but 2wd only.
GT3: NA, widebody, rear drive, lighter.
GT3 RS: Even lighter, stiffer suspension. Weekend racer.

:D
 
Emohawk
Carrera: Rear engine, rear drive, flat 6.
Carrera S: faster
Carrera 4: 4wd and widebody
Carrera 4S: 4wd, widebody, faster
turbo: 4wd, turbo
GT2: more powerfull then the turbo, but 2wd only.
GT3: NA, widebody, rear drive, lighter.
GT3 RS: Even lighter, stiffer suspension. Weekend racer.

:D

Turbo S: AWD (911's aren't "4wd" :) ), turbo, faster
GT1: Le Mans racer and limited-production übercar
Targa: targa top
Cabriolet: convertible top

@DB5 fans: *coughEnthusiacough* ;)
 
Totally forgot about the GT1, are they still in production?
I was going to add the targa/cabrio, but I don't know what trim levels you can get them in.

Distinctions between 4wd/awd tend to vary by manufacturer, so I just say 4wd. :indiff:

On topic:
My favorate Astons are the '70s V8 Vantage and the underappriciated Lagonda. I hope to see both in the next GT, but expecting just the Vantage is more realistic.
 
speaking of the DBR9s at le mans they had the little colored strips on their grill just like the older cars
well i was looking at my cars in GT2 and my race conversion DB7 had the same colored yellow strip i jsut though that was interesting. Sometimes those guys do thier homework - except for the 99 v8 vantage? ha stopped in 1997 from 92
 
TrinityJayOne
Personally I don't really like the DB models that much, I think they look too similar to the XKR Jags (or vice versa, doesn't matter because I dislike both). The Vanquish is a completely different story, such a gorgeous shape. :drool:

Also... Quote:
Originally Posted by Team666

The most beautiful car in the world is a Lamborghini. The Lamborghini Miura P400 is unbeatable!



Fixed! :D

http://www.gochange.net/ItemPictures/P21131_1.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/lamborghini/miurap400sv2.jpg

http://dhost.info/thesupercars/supercars/lamborghini/miurap400/68miurap400.html

Hey! :mad: Well, I´ll hand to you; the Miura is a very beautiful car, but just look at the Astons! http://www.madle.org/eec02g.htm And in particular the Db4 Zagato.
 
Toronado
I don't understand (and don't take it personally, just what I feel) why people find the DB9 to look good at all. I do think it is one of the ugliest Astons ever made.
Thats fine, we have different tastes in car design thats all. I've got loads of pics of the DB9 coupe and volante I took from the 2004 NEC motorshow, I love the design. It's like the blonde or brunette question, not everyone prefers the same.
 
I think the vantage is rather ugly. A good car but ugly. I also think the rear of the db9 is ugly. Its nice front the front though. I'm not really much for the over all aston styling though.
 
Emohawk
Totally forgot about the GT1, are they still in production?
I was going to add the targa/cabrio, but I don't know what trim levels you can get them in.

Distinctions between 4wd/awd tend to vary by manufacturer, so I just say 4wd. :indiff:

No the GT1 is no longer in production, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. :) As for the targa/cabrios, I think the cabrios were available in every non-GT model designation (including the Turbo and Turbo S), while the targa was only available with the naturally-aspirated non-GT model designations...I'm talking about the 996 series, of course.

Also: AWD = All-time 4-wheel drive (always on) 4WD = Part-time 4-wheel drive (car/truck is 2WD until 4WD is turned/switched on)

Unless I'm mistaken, that distinction doesn't change from manufacturer to manufacturer (for example, you'll notice that Subaru's are AWD while trucks are 4WD). :)

As for Aston styling, I like how the modern ones look, but they're just too similar. :indiff: Ian McCallum (that's his name, right?) just can't do anything but that one design. :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, but what a design... If it ain't broke, and all that...
 
Indeed, but it's going a little too far now that the repetition is going cross-marque... :lol:

jaguar2ni.jpg
 
The front looks crap on that new Jaguar. At least they got rid of all the horrible chrome on the prototype.
 
Back