Someone explain Aston Martin to me

  • Thread starter Thread starter fxscreamer
  • 64 comments
  • 3,913 views
What was the deal with the jag xkr and the db7? was it that aston martin threw the idea out and jag picked it up or was it the other way around? thats the story i heard anyway...
 
Can sameone please explain the following to me: some people/sources say "Austin Martin" - first I thought it's a mistake but then I heard so many sources saying "Austin" that I am not so sure now. But it has to be "Aston"! What's "Austin Martin"?
 
The difference between an american and an englishman saying it i think.
 
Ass-ton = Correct.
Os-tin = Foolish

ED3 - The XK was based on the DB, as the new XK is based on the new DB...
 
Austin was (also) a car manufacturer in the past. That has nothing to do with Aston Martin :)
 
DB9 and DB5 are my faves by a long, long margin. Best looking cars in the world.

I will get one one day (a DB9), I have the right first name. :lol:



Edit: the Muira looks like a flathead thats been whacked on the head with a steak tenderizer rendering it a bit spaz, leaving hideous cheap plasticy vents in the bonnet that look really clunky (the epitome of italian cheap plastic fixtures), screwing up the whole bonnet line or any elegance it might've had.

I really hate the impression that the lights would illuminate upwards instead of ahead on the road... I'm sure they work fine but it just looks wierd to me. I also hate the black oval shaped surrounds around the headlights, looks like its got too much eye-shadow on, the cheap floozy!
 
Was the old V8 Vantage supposed to be a higher model on the range compared to the DB7?

I too have fallen in love with the current design for the DB9, V8 Vantage, and the upcoming XK. But I think I like the current XK better, it just looks superb in R-performance trim.
 
The old V8 Vantage - based on the earlier V8 Virage - was a full-on GT car. The V600 version had a 600hp 600lbft twin-supercharged engine and was capable of leaving 220 yard long skidmarks when booted from rest. The DB7 was, comparatively, a sports model.
 
I don't know how anyone can say the current Astons are ugly.

THIS is ugly!:




So ugly it's beautiful!

(Still haven't got the hang of this picture posting malarkey!)
 

Attachments

  • Alfa SZ.jpg
    Alfa SZ.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 9
  • AlfaSZ2.jpg
    AlfaSZ2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 7
  • AlfaSZ3.jpg
    AlfaSZ3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 9
Famine
Ass-ton = Correct.
Os-tin = Foolish

ED3 - The XK was based on the DB, as the new XK is based on the new DB...

While I don't know the exact details of the previous-gen XK and the DB7 (I know their platforms were both based off of the XJS', but if they were the same or not, I don't know), I do know the new XK is based on a shortened version of the new XJ's aluminum chassis. Aston's variable aluminum chassis (under the DB9 and new V8) is, afaik, exclusively their's.

FastEddie - The SZ is one of the reasons I like loading up Enthusia every now and then. Such a fun car :)
 
James2097
I really hate the impression that the lights would illuminate upwards instead of ahead on the road... I'm sure they work fine but it just looks wierd to me. I also hate the black oval shaped surrounds around the headlights, looks like its got too much eye-shadow on, the cheap floozy!

1) Unlike modern Porches with laid-back, flat and fixed headlights, the Miura's headlights are not fixed. They rotate forwards when illuminated so that they are aimed down the road, just like a Porsche 928's or a Reliant Schimitar's. If you don't like the "eyelashes" around the Miura's headlights, then perhaps you will find the Miura SV more appealing, since that did without them. Of course, the rest of the car looks more or less the same. Personally I've always preferred the Countach (in maximum over-the-top 5000QV form, including huge wing) but there's no accounting for taste :)

2) I have heard a few Americans (notably a certain Mr John Travolta) incorrectly refer to Aston Martin as "Austin Martin". I can only assume they are getting Aston Martin confused with Austin or Austin-Healey.

3) Of course the Alfa SZ is a fun car - it's a direct descendant of the Alfetta saloons and GTVs (see my avatar) !!! Apart from coil springs instead of torsion bars on the front suspension and a V6 engine at the front, the mechanics of the SZ look pretty much the same as they did when Alfa first introduced the layout in 1976.

4) Live4speed, my vote goes for the brunette, and always has ;)
 
"Do you want to take the Aston?"
"Do you want to take the Skyline?"

I know which one i'd take =]
 
is depends which aston and skyline we are talking. I'd probably take the skyline if its just some newer run of the mill db7 or db9... a db5 i'd have to drive but if it was db7 vs R33 i'd go with the skyline...
 
The Astons are some of the prettiest cars around (subjective, of course, because some people think riced-out Civics are pretty *gag*), but I liked the DB7 more than the DB9. It was more elegant, the DB9 is "cleaner" and more "technological", but the DB7 just has more class, which is exactly what British 2-seat GT coupes are all about.

As for the Porsches, isn't the GT2 faster than the GT3s? Also, don't forget the Carrera GT. No relation to the other Carrera models... ;)
 
Too heavy for what? They are GT´s made to take you from Helsinki to Monaco as comfortably as possible, not go around Silverstone as fast as possible.
 
Team666
Too heavy for what? They are GT´s made to take you from Helsinki to Monaco as comfortably as possible, not go around Silverstone as fast as possible.
True, but too bad GT4 is about driving fast around tracks and not driving to and from cities.
 
Alfaholic
1) Unlike modern Porches with laid-back, flat and fixed headlights, the Miura's headlights are not fixed. They rotate forwards when illuminated so that they are aimed down the road, just like a Porsche 928's or a Reliant Schimitar's. If you don't like the "eyelashes" around the Miura's headlights, then perhaps you will find the Miura SV more appealing, since that did without them. Of course, the rest of the car looks more or less the same. Personally I've always preferred the Countach (in maximum over-the-top 5000QV form, including huge wing) but there's no accounting for taste :)

The SV's lights don't look finished.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1970-1979/1972-Lamborghini-Miura-SV-Red-F.htm
 
the DB9 + V12 Vanquish probably has teh best roaring V12 ever.
 
Raghavan
True, but too bad GT4 is about driving fast around tracks and not driving to and from cities.

But on the other hand the Astons are fast enough around a track too. The DB9 is about as fast, or faster, as a BMW M5 around the ring, and thats pretty good.

On a sidenote, I would actually like such a mode in Gran Turismo! Drivers mode or something. Take your car and drive it to whatever track you´re suppose to race at! Timeconsuming perhaps, but it could be optional.
 
Sjenk
Austin was (also) a car manufacturer in the past. That has nothing to do with Aston Martin :)
that would be the austin healey :)

vantage V8 roxorz! :)
 
Team666
On a sidenote, I would actually like such a mode in Gran Turismo! Drivers mode or something. Take your car and drive it to whatever track you´re suppose to race at! Timeconsuming perhaps, but it could be optional.

That would be a logical option, seeing as how GT is "the Real Driving Simulator" and all.... ;)
 
Raghavan
Have a look at the lamp units in the picture, although having read your astute and informed comments in this thread, I'm not surprised you've asked this. :rolleyes:
 
soptom


... Yeah and the wheels look a little small and the tyres a bit like balloons. And the decapitated seats with their headrests bolted to the rear bulkhead just look plain freaky.

Sure the lights look like there's some trim missing but that's the state of the art in 1970's panel gaps. :lol:

Having said all that, though, I must confess I've never quite seen the beauty in the Miura that so many others do. I think it's nice but I've seen nicer. Same goes for the E-Type. And the DB5. Gimme a 288GTO, or a Countach, or a 1986 Aston V8 Vantage Volante (in black), and I won't miss the Miura at all. I guess that makes me an '80s child :)
 
People tend to like what the grow up with. I tend to like late 80s or early 90s style cars.
 
Not all Aston Martins are beautiful...

Things went a bit iffy in the 70's!
 
As a die-hard Corvette C5-R and C6.R fan, I should hate the new Aston Martin DBR9 and its road-going sister. However, I think it has to be one of the most beautiful cars out there. Great looks, a great-sounding V12 engine and incredibly fast. What more could you ask for? (As long as they don't beat the Corvettes at Sebring or Le Mans.)

As for other Aston Martins, two of my favorite old AMs (other than the DBR1...best looking 50's prototype):

1) Aston Martin DP212

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2327

and 2) Aston Martin AMR1 Group C:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aston.htm

I don't understand it. They have Group C cars from Jaguar, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda, but no Aston Martin? (especially since, unlike Porsche, there are other Astons in GT4...)
 
THE ED3
People tend to like what the grow up with. I tend to like late 80s or early 90s style cars.

Well, I didn´t grow up in late 60´s , early 70´s, but I tend to think cars made in that era are very beautiful. And I also tend to dislike cars from the early and mid 80´s, wich is when I grew up. For example, I think the Countach is one hideous car! The straight lines, boxshapes and sharp angles of that era is not very aesthetic at all. But eye of the beholder and all...
 
Back