Something That a Good Sim Should Have (not skidmarks etc.)

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtsmashbros
  • 65 comments
  • 4,897 views

How should the speedometer work?


  • Total voters
    110
Lets say I'm driving the GT-R, a car that sends a third of its power to the back wheels.
Actually, it sends a varying amount of power to the back wheels. Ever heard of the ATTESA E-TS system? Of course, you're probably referring to the R35, but that also has the ATTESA E-TS system.
 
Being a gamer, playing GT5 as a game, all I care about is how fast the car is going. Skid marks would be awesome too.

Did I mention skid marks? How about reverse lights too?! Maybe skid marks as well...
 
I never look at the speedo, and come to think of it although I use manual gears I rarely know what gear I'm in either.
 
You should of had an option for "Whatever the real one does".
 
Im not so bothered. I dont tend to watch the speedo that much. I tend to learn tracks in relation to which gear a corner should be taken in, the RPM of the engine and braking points. Ok I do use the speedo a bit but ive also driven without one. Some Karts dont have any instruments at all (even manual ones) so its all about gear, braking point and engine tone. If the wheels are spinning they make a noise and you feel it. I know force feedback isnt perfect but its a lot better now than it was a few years ago and the games now tend to represent wheel spin better now also. Im sure in another 25 years (how long ive been gaming) the advances will be astronomical...I hope im still gaming to see it.
 
Yeah but it feels akward when you are in the air (after a jump) and you press the brakes it doesn't say zero.
 
Speed of the wheels ??!! .... why?

I believe that for most normal cars: the speed is measured from the final drive gear output shaft.

As for the ABS sensor, its unique and only function is to measure / DETECT and to allow for comparison between the vehicle "global" speed VS. the wheels speed.
In the case the wheel is no longer moving, BUT the car is still traveling, ABS is then engaged when brake is needed (to prevent wheel locking)

You cannot use the wheel speed to allow both function as to measure the speed of the car AND the speed wheels... How would you know when you need to stop or advance...

just my 2 cents :)
 
Do we really need a poll of how a speedo should work?
 
Speed of the wheels ??!! .... why?

I believe that for most normal cars: the speed is measured from the final drive gear output shaft.

As for the ABS sensor, its unique and only function is to measure / DETECT and to allow for comparison between the vehicle "global" speed VS. the wheels speed.
In the case the wheel is no longer moving, BUT the car is still traveling, ABS is then engaged when brake is needed (to prevent wheel locking)

You cannot use the wheel speed to allow both function as to measure the speed of the car AND the speed wheels... How would you know when you need to stop or advance...

just my 2 cents :)

Global speed is still taken at the wheels on most modern cars. Again... new cars... no speed sensor on the output shaft. Having been under there, I've looked.
 
At Eiger, when you go over the jump, the speedometer increases. Is this just a flaw with the car so that it's actually accelerating, or maybe the spin of the wheels showing as the increase in speedometer?
 
Kind of a pointless topic, but i chose the speed of the car.
 
I think it would get a bit confusing for some like "How is the speedo showing 40mph when i'm hardly moving?" It's perfectly fine how it is now.
 
Global speed is still taken at the wheels on most modern cars. Again... new cars... no speed sensor on the output shaft. Having been under there, I've looked.

Agree. On my car (and all similar aged BMWs that I know of) the speedo is definitely driven from the front ABS sensor. When I unplug the sensor I get 0 on the speedo.
 
I think something that any good racing sim should have is a speedometer that tells you how fast the wheels are moving instead of how fast your car is moving.

For example:

If you are, for instance, in a Toyota GT-one, and you have the assists off and you slam on the gas and your wheels start to spin the speedometer should not display zero; instead it should display how fast the wheels are spinning.

Agree or disagree?

Vote/Discuss

Im guessing you drive a FWD car, the wheel speed sensor is at the front wheels, so if youve got a RWD car it shouldnt change the speedo.
 
Im guessing you drive a FWD car, the wheel speed sensor is at the front wheels, so if youve got a RWD car it shouldnt change the speedo.

Not every car is the same. Some RWD cars take the speedo reading from the gearbox, which is the same as having it on the rear wheels.
 
so the OP wants his speedo to read 40mph when he's doing burnouts?
 
Do we really need a poll of how a speedo should work?

2 pages worth of responses say it's alright. If you don't like it, hey, guess what you can do? Don't respond, don't vote, and move on to another thread. It's on topic, it's something OP was interested in, it's something other people have responded to in a way which gives me information.

I'm getting real sick of reading responses around here that add NOTHING and simply bitch at an OP for doing something on topic.

I'll answer your question with a question: Do we really need elitists who take their subjective point of view as the only one that matters and make a public point of doing so?
 
Last edited:
Im guessing you drive a FWD car, the wheel speed sensor is at the front wheels, so if youve got a RWD car it shouldnt change the speedo.



Wrong. I drive a mustang and the speed comes from the drive wheels, which is the rear wheels too. I notice it a lot especially in winter when your wheels spin a lot in snow.
 
Since I personally look at the speedo to watch my RPMs, I wouldn't be bothered if it was different, and more realistic at the same time. 👍
 
why wouldn't you look at the tach to watch your rpm?
 
I don't even have an rpm dial in my real car.
It's something you get used to.
 
Wrong. I drive a mustang and the speed comes from the drive wheels, which is the rear wheels too. I notice it a lot especially in winter when your wheels spin a lot in snow.

Note, said most, not all.

Global speed is still taken at the wheels on most modern cars. Again... new cars... no speed sensor on the output shaft. Having been under there, I've looked.
 
neither..............

As long as you both have the right papers...lol

A good sim should give you control of the cars ignition, it shouldnt put the "training wheels" on when you hit the pits.

It should be able to stall.

It should have a removable\customizable HUD, i want nothing but car.

And it should be released ASAP, so we can focus on what it is instead of what it should be.
 
why wouldn't you look at the tach to watch your rpm?

:odd:

If that was directed at me, I said that I look at the tach to watch my RPMs, and that's it. I don't look at the speedo to say "omg I'm going at 230km/h, gotta brake!". That something I notice by just looking at how fast I'm approaching corners. And since I don't really look at the speedometer, as I said, then I wouldn't mind to have it made more realistic.
 
A problem with this, especially when it comes to racing race cars, is that if your heading into a corner, and you suddenly lock up, your speedometer will go from slowing to 0. This would through me off, and though I can easily save it from spinning, it would screw up my cornering speed. (which is why real race cars have wind speedometers).

If the GT-One or any other car would have a similar speed-meassuring device IRL it would be appropriate to include it in a Sim.
But i sincerely doubt this is the case, looks to me like a gadget more akin to arcade racers, i only wish for a sim to have features which are accurate IRL and add significantly to the gameplay.

I should think that very few racing cars have speedometers anyway. They're a road car thing. Tacho yes, but no speedo.
 

Small mistake. :lol:

I don't need a speedometer, at least not in a game. It does add to the realism, but I honestly don't need it. I only need a tachometer.
 
Last edited:
Back