Sony Confirms Next-Gen PlayStation Features: 8K Resolution and Backwards Compatibility

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 123 comments
I'd rather see game developers making use of real-time ray tracing rather than aiming for 8K resolutions. The article does confirm Navi-based GPU will support Ray Tracing, which is good, but I don't want developers sacrificing this facility for more pixels.

One thing that keeps getting missed is that they basically demoed a brand new feature.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Starting in the fall of 2015, when Cerny first began talking to developers about what they’d want from the next generation, he heard it time and time again: I know it’s impossible, but can we have an SSD?

Solid-state drives have been available in budget laptops for more than a decade, and the Xbox One and PS4 both offer external SSDs that claim to improve load times. But not all SSDs are created alike. As Cerny points out, “I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds.” What’s built into Sony’s next-gen console is something a little more specialized.

To demonstrate, Cerny fires up a PS4 Pro playing Spider-Man, a 2018 PS4 exclusive that he worked on alongside Insomniac Games. (He’s not just an systems architect; Cerny created arcade classic Marble Madness when he was all of 19 and was heavily involved with PlayStation and PS2 franchises like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Ratchet and Clank.) On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

...but he sees the SSD as unlocking an entirely new age, one that upends the very tropes that have become the bedrock of gaming. “We're very used to flying logos at the start of the game and graphic-heavy selection screens," he says, "even things like multiplayer lobbies and intentionally detailed loadout processes, because you don't want players just to be waiting."

After reading that article, I'm now starting to have a feeling that this thing will be around over $500 once it comes out soon. :confused::confused::confused:

Compare that figure to the alternatives (which are not as powerful) and it is pretty good value; you would need at least $800 to get an entry-level RTX 2060 computer build, flagship smartphone or iPad Pro. I think that $500 (which would end up being £450) is a fair price to pay for a next-gen console with those specs.

Will this one have a main menu UI that isn't mind numbingly slow and absolutely awful to navigate? I don't care about 8K and ray-tracing if the console is a pain in the ass to use.

Backwards compatibility, physical games and better performance is pretty much what I wanted from PS5. Sweet!

If GT7 makes it into day 1 (which I doubt given PD's history in the last 10 to 15 years) I'll buy it day 1.
wouldn't it just be Sport .2 (or whatever)?

Maybe. Whatever it may be. I think GT can be improved a lot, both offline and online (lobby) content.

I would agree and would argue that if Kaz had an actual plan GT Sport could have been the game they promised and not GT6 lite.

I would agree and would argue that if Kaz had an actual plan GT Sport could have been the game they promised and not GT6 lite.

One of the things I really miss is dynamic weather and tod. That makes races so much more interesting. Any race really, even arcade, for those who like it. Is one of those things that can make people move to PC and play ACC or PC2 instead.

One of the things I really miss is dynamic weather and tod. That makes races so much more interesting. Any race really, even arcade, for those who like it. Is one of those things that can make people move to PC and play ACC or PC2 instead.
Agreed, but from my understanding of the pre-launch messy pitch was that Sport would be online focused. Then we got a collection of random races set up like an old GT League but not really working the same... and the online component was, glitchy lobbies and 3 auto-match making lobbies?

One thing I was disappointed with, was that during the interview we never got to hear the PS5's code-name... those are always fun!

The backwards compatibility thing is definitely nice to hear. I like to ditch old consoles and have all my games in one place, so I was disappointed when the PS4 wasn’t backwards compatible with PS3 games. Also, the SSD thing sounds great too, but I imagine the console is going to cost a lot as a result.

The backwards compatibility thing is definitely nice to hear. I like to ditch old consoles and have all my games in one place, so I was disappointed when the PS4 wasn’t backwards compatible with PS3 games. Also, the SSD thing sounds great too, but I imagine the console is going to cost a lot as a result.

"Perhaps the news PS4 owners wanted to hear most, Cerny confirmed that the next console will be backwards compatible. Not only will existing games be available — largely thanks to the similar AMD architecture — but he also noted the current PSVR hardware will work too. Cerny wouldn’t comment on what’s next for Sony’s virtual reality headset, but the implication is that there will be more to come with the next generation."

With this statement I wouldn't throw away any older console just yet. This sounds to me like they would not go back any further than PS4.

So,

Now the Kaz will say visual damage, climate change and dynamic rain only in 2030, for PS6.

The new GT will be concentrated 8k and 60 fps.

Last edited:
So,

Now the Kaz will say visual damage, climate change and dynamic rain only in 2030, for PS6.

The new GT will be concentrated 4k and 60 fps.
The new GT is going to concentrate on something they've already concentrated on? Interesting.

Hopefully it will play decently on a1080p TV as well. :-P

Backwards compatibility. Hooray!

That means Skyrim all over again on the PS5! :cheers:

Will this one have a main menu UI that isn't mind numbingly slow and absolutely awful to navigate? I don't care about 8K and ray-tracing if the console is a pain in the ass to use.

The menu is easily my biggest complaint with the current PS. The delays, especially when heading to the TV section or hitting the Share button mid-game, are incredibly frustrating, especially when it's on the Pro!

alp
"Perhaps the news PS4 owners wanted to hear most, Cerny confirmed that the next console will be backwards compatible. Not only will existing games be available — largely thanks to the similar AMD architecture — but he also noted the current PSVR hardware will work too. Cerny wouldn’t comment on what’s next for Sony’s virtual reality headset, but the implication is that there will be more to come with the next generation."

With this statement I wouldn't throw away any older console just yet. This sounds to me like they would not go back any further than PS4.

Eh, it's inconclusive at best. It's focusing on PS4 because that's the most recent generation, and it's the one without BC. I imagine PS1 and PS2 emulation are easy enough to just do from a software side, unless Sony wants to keep them on PS Now to encourage signups of that service.

I really like how MS deals with BC right now on XB1. If you have a compatible XB or X360 disc, you just pop it in and it triggers a download. Plus, a good chunk of titles even have One X updates, meaning you can play them at a level of detail closer to current-gen. That's a great move, and part of the reason I've been expanding my previous-gen multi-platform library on the One X instead of the PS4 Pro.

That said, I'm really excited about the PS5. It sounds like Sony is addressing the handful of weaknesses it has currently without sacrificing its strengths. The next gen console lineup from both it and MS should be a truly exceptional one.

alp

I have to imagine if the open source emulation scene is getting PS3’s games running on current PC’s Sony can build a software emulator to run PS3 games.
PSX & PS2 software emulation is trivial, despite how hard Sony managed to cock it up on the PSOne Classic

They should have more that enough of a power margin (something the PS4 doesn't have).

I'd rather see game developers making use of real-time ray tracing rather than aiming for 8K resolutions. The article does confirm Navi-based GPU will support Ray Tracing, which is good, but I don't want developers sacrificing this facility for more pixels.
I suspect gaming wont actually reach 8K in the coming generation. I'd bet the games will run at most 4K, but the system will support upscaling the 4K image to output at 8K to any compatible displays. Much like how the Xbox One S can output a 4K single to your TV, but still runs the games at 1080P or lower resolutions. One thing to remember is that when the PS3 was revealed Sony said that it could potentially support 1080P 120Hz single, but in the end most games settled for actually running at 720P 30FPS.
8K support is likely just some future proofing for the next generation of TV resolutions.

After reading that article, I'm now starting to have a feeling that this thing will be around over $500 once it comes out soon. :confused::confused::confused:
$500 - $600 Quite a good price for a 8k Res and Raytracing, A Pc With that Capabilities i way more Expensive.
Plenty of time to save Money :gtpflag:

PS4 BC was always a given, I would be genuinely shocked if it didn't because the PS5 will be the same x86 architecture... but where is the PS3 and PS2 BC? now that would be a headline!

Back