Sony Drops Another Hint at Gran Turismo 7 Release Date, But It's Still TBC

Yeah they were just chiming in on the meme. Should've picked a better OG Gran Turismo screenshot though, because i like to critique.

I would like GT7 for 2020 holidays, but realistically, we have to assume we will even have the PS5 to play at all with before sometime spring of 2021

(massive supply-chain : real-demand constraints, in case people have been living under a rock this year)

My polling vote is Summer 2021 for both together. Looking forward to what I'll be hearing with the new Audio.

I wouldn't terribly mind it if it was released Fall 2021, considering it'd likely sell well with the holiday season. Plus, I don't plan to get a PS5 until GT7 is out anyway, so by then, maybe Sony will have released some updates/bugfixes/QoL changes to the PS5 itself in that time. Typically, I've seldom been an early-adopter of hardware. It's why I never got a Switch, despite wanting one - as I'm waiting for a "Switch Pro" that'd be very similar to the New 3DS or GameBoy Color, where it can play even more games on top of those from its immediate predecessor. I'd certainly get Pokemon Sword with the expansion pass, in that case, and then some other titles like Super Mario Odyssey and a few others I've had my eye on.

But I digress. It could also be that GT7 could get released earlier in the year. Wasn't this the case with GT4? Or perhaps that was just for its North American release. I still remember - February 22, 2005. Over fifteen years ago...

Last edited:
450 would be too few though. I’d say around 600 or 700. The sudden sharp increase can be attributed to Polyphony’s recent outsourcing.
T10/PG barely hit that kind of increase and that was after the game came out, and we all know how much more they outsource those vehicles. To reach that number while developing the game seems too farfetched. I'd love it, and I'd eat my hat if it did happen, but that's very unlikely.

T10/PG barely hit that kind of increase and that was after the game came out, and we all know how much more they outsource those vehicles. To reach that number while developing the game seems too farfetched. I'd love it, and I'd eat my hat if it did happen, but that's very unlikely.
But we don’t know exactly how many people PD have outsourced too, so in reality nobody knows! I’d like to see c.800 cars in game from the off, but if it’s a team of say 6 people that have been outsourced, then the 450 mark may be more realistic, it’s all to up in the air at the minute unfortunately!

Yeah, a ~100 car increase from GT Sport is a realistic expectation. Iirc new content added to GTS was released as it was finished and the drop off started in January. Looking at the average amount of cars released per month since the monthly updates started (and applying the likely drop in productivity due to COVID), that number of 100 more seems about right. And maybe 10 new tracks? All of this if GT7 is released within 2021.

It's just fun to speculate, don't hate me for overanalyzing!

But we don’t know exactly how many people PD have outsourced too, so in reality nobody knows! I’d like to see c.800 cars in game from the off, but if it’s a team of say 6 people that have been outsourced, then the 450 mark may be more realistic, it’s all to up in the air at the minute unfortunately!
If I remember correctly, the vast majority of their staff was outsourced staffing companies. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think it was like out of the 400-500 People they staff, only 200~ were full time employees, the rest being outsourcers. That's why each iteration has a good jump in vehicles, and that's why they get an abundance of post-release content. Unfortunately it was so long ago that I can't remember where that came up.

You're definitely right that we don't know how much they're outsourcing, but I really don't see them matching the pace - Either way, I never said 450 isn't realistic , I was talking about the 700 mark.

Last edited:
There's a chance that GT7 will get to 700 cars post-launch, but that's only if the game is supported for at least 3 years. However there's also a chance that this may be the only GT game on PS5 if it's going to use a service model. Like GTA in a way. So we could see more than 700 cars in total.

Last edited:
IMHO, PD will support Sport for the next 2yrs before releasing 7. We won't see 7 until the PS5s last 2yrs. Quality requires time and the sooner you get it, the more they'll be asking for DLCash.
Nothing new here from PD and Kaz.

IMHO, PD will support Sport for the next 2yrs before releasing 7. We won't see 7 until the PS5s last 2yrs.
...Wait. These two sentences kinda contradict each other. Which is it? 2022? Or 2026-2027, since you said the PS5's last two years? o_o

Regardless, I can't tell if some of you are either joking around with this ridiculousness or are absolutely for real... *sigh*

I would like GT7 for 2020 holidays, but realistically, we have to assume we will even have the PS5 to play at all with before sometime spring of 2021

(massive supply-chain : real-demand constraints, in case people have been living under a rock this year)

My polling vote is Summer 2021 for both together. Looking forward to what I'll be hearing with the new Audio.

You genuinely think that not a single PS5 will be shipped before spring? You are delusional. I'm not saying all of the pre-orders will get filled beore Christmas, but I am certain that a majority will. I heard a report yesterday that the Chinese economy is pretty much running at full steam, and the only thing that could restrict it in the near future (months) is Western demand dropping due to lockdowns. Clearly the PS5 is immune to demand drops. And I expect that Sony has charter cargo flights to get the units to NA, EU, Australia etc in time for launch.

IMHO, PD will support Sport for the next 2yrs before releasing 7. We won't see 7 until the PS5s last 2yrs. Quality requires time and the sooner you get it, the more they'll be asking for DLCash.
With the airtime that GT7 has been getting in the Sony promotional material, there is no chance that we have to wait 2 more years for GT7.

This makes absolutely no sense. The last track added to the game was 10 months ago and the last car added to the game was about 5 months ago. So what support are you talking about? :lol:
Also they need a constant cash flow and there is no way GT SPORT will make them enough money to keep them alive for 2 more years

With the airtime that GT7 has been getting in the Sony promotional material, there is no chance that we have to wait 2 more years for GT7.

Could've said the same thing when Sony let PD host an extravagant announcement event for GTS in 2016, supposed to be out six months later, game didn't actually come for another 18 months.

Could've said the same thing when Sony let PD host an extravagant announcement event for GTS in 2016, supposed to be out six months later, game didn't actually come for another 18 months.
Fair enough, but was it a PD event or Sony using it to pump up features of a new console (the haptic feedback with ABS)?

Well to be clear I don't think they're going to make that same mistake again, just saying that PD/Sony promoting a game at point X doesn't mean it's guaranteed to release soon, even if that is their intention.

Well to be clear I don't think they're going to make that same mistake again, just saying that PD/Sony promoting a game at point X doesn't mean it's guaranteed to release soon, even if that is their intention.
I understand that, and would be totally on board if GT7 was just one in a list of 'coming to PS5' games. The prominence of it in all of Sony's promo stuff since the first trailers dropped is what makes me think it will be sooner rather than later. But who knows, we are just idiots on the internet. I'm sure GT7 can be released whenever they want™ and it will be in our hands soon™.

I understand that, and would be totally on board if GT7 was just one in a list of 'coming to PS5' games. The prominence of it in all of Sony's promo stuff since the first trailers dropped is what makes me think it will be sooner rather than later. But who knows, we are just idiots on the internet. I'm sure GT7 can be released whenever they want™ and it will be in our hands soon™.

Indeed, all of us here can only guess and my guess still remains holiday 2021.

Pessimist! I'm still hoping Q1 2021 - line up with the start of a real motorsport season for eSports purposes?

Pessimist! I'm still hoping Q1 2021 - line up with the start of a real motorsport season for eSports purposes?

Sure it's plausible, I'm just going by the tradition of most big AAA games releasing Oct/Nov for the big sales really.

Sony have spoken a lot about the haptic feedback and as GT7 is coming, it is the natural first party racing title to be used to promote that feature. It could hint to a release early in the PS5's life cycle, but these little snippets are as much a promotion for PS5 as individual games and are used to highlight the consoles features. Yes they do promote the games also, but the focus is on what the PS5 can do and how we can expect those features to benefit us as the consumers. Gran Turismo being a key first party title and a big seller makes it a logical choice to use to promote the PS5 in this manner.

I think we will know the release date at least 3 months before GT7 is released, there has to be that 4 week or longer window between going gold and releasing and that won't happen without people knowing that it's gone gold. It also wouldn't benefit from a sales point of view to not market the game anyway, so we can pretty much call any notion that we will find out the release date via news the game has gone gold or that it will just appear on shelves or we will hear it announced that GT7 is releasing tomorrow/next week (as in time fron the announcement not literally tomorrow or next week) as rubbish.

I don't think we can rule anything out other than it's highly unlikely it will be out this side of the new year. The lack of a real marketing push or announcement doesn't point to that. Could it be early next year? Possibly, but there's just as much chance of it being a late 2021 or even a 2022 release. we just don't know.

At a guess, I would say it will be late 2021, but we've seen GT titles take 5, 6 or even 7 years of development time in the past with some titles even being delayed by as much as a year just a short while before they were first intended to be released.

Last edited:
Was Drive Club the first racer to feature before GT Sport? I still haven't bought that game. Even though members here saying it's a good game.

It'll still be the same with me. No matter what comes out before Gran Turismo 7, I'll still be waiting for Gran Turismo 7, before I purchase a PS5. Just have to wait as usual.

...Wait. These two sentences kinda contradict each other. Which is it? 2022? Or 2026-2027, since you said the PS5's last two years? o_o

Regardless, I can't tell if some of you are either joking around with this ridiculousness or are absolutely for real... *sigh*
Absolutely for real? Yup!
Sony will not immediately drop it's 4th iteration's online play after releasing the PS5. And, with a 4-5yr shelf life in console sales... that keeps Sport online until 2022-23. Plus it's safe to assume an EoY release date for their PS5 which could sell until 2024-25... So I figure a NONabbreviated GT release somewhere between 2022 and 2024.
Those of us who have followed GT as long as I should know better... Sport is nothing more than an abbreviated version of what a real GT is.
Thank you for asking :cheers:

You genuinely think that not a single PS5 will be shipped before spring? You are delusional. I'm not saying all of the pre-orders will get filled beore Christmas, but I am certain that a majority will. I heard a report yesterday that the Chinese economy is pretty much running at full steam, and the only thing that could restrict it in the near future (months) is Western demand dropping due to lockdowns. Clearly the PS5 is immune to demand drops. And I expect that Sony has charter cargo flights to get the units to NA, EU, Australia etc in time for launch.

Aight, TrippingTrees. Believe whatever you want :eek:

This makes absolutely no sense. The last track added to the game was 10 months ago and the last car added to the game was about 5 months ago. So what support are you talking about? :lol:
Also they need a constant cash flow and there is no way GT SPORT will make them enough money to keep them alive for 2 more years
New to the Planet, Nick?
Live, Love, Learn... in that order :ouch:

Last edited:
Back