Sony Patent Shows Plans To Increase PS3s Power With External Processor

I kinda wanted a PlayStation 3 Ultra or something like that. With Scalable games that will work on standard PS3's. Kinda like how one PC game can run on lower end machines.

I kinda wanted a PlayStation 3 Ultra or something like that. With Scalable games that will work on standard PS3's. Kinda like how one PC game can run on lower end machines.

I really really would not like this approach from sony, ms and nin but the thing is, I would buy the add-on day one, as I know that GT would profit from it greatly, and other games of course too.

The problem with producing an add-on for a piece of hardware is that in doing so one admits that the hardware its self is flawed.

Out of date, but flawed? The PS3 technology is 5 years old now (if not more in some instances), it's hardly surprising people want more. Hardly means it is flawed, it's a greater reflection that the economic crisis could dictate the success of a new console.

As already pointed out, not going to do anything for the graphics card, wireless card, etc.

I think it's a decent option for Sony with the various market forces in play. Whether they'd do it, I'm not so sure.

It'd be a bold move, that's for certain.

I really really would not like this approach from sony, ms and nin but the thing is, I would buy the add-on day one, as I know that GT would profit from it greatly, and other games of course too.

That basically would be the stand alone version of the add-on and system minus the scalable games. But I'd rather have an add on than a whole new system as long as the add on worked and worked well.

I'd buy an add on. Maybe Sony could make it to share the load on normal games to try and prevent YLOD. The XBOX 360 has been kept going thanks to Kinect (PS Move doesn't seem as popular) but i'm sure the PS3's life would be extended if it can be made to run smoother and play better quality games.

Out of date, but flawed? The PS3 technology is 5 years old now (if not more in some instances), it's hardly surprising people want more. Hardly means it is flawed, it's a greater reflection that the economic crisis could dictate the success of a new console.

As already pointed out, not going to do anything for the graphics card, wireless card, etc.

I think it's a decent option for Sony with the various market forces in play. Whether they'd do it, I'm not so sure.

It'd be a bold move, that's for certain.

I'm willing to bet that, from most peoples' perspective, being "out of date" is considered a flaw.

But how will it connect?

USB is not fast enough with an avrage transfer speed of 35MB/s.
HDMI can transfer upwards of 10Gbits/s but then their is no video.
Ethernet 1Gbits/s but then no lan connection.

But how will it connect?

That's what I was wondering as it has no EXT port, ethernet is the only port fast enough so what I suspect they would do is put a new ethernet port on the add on which routes through the system (basically replicates the port). I would much rather do this than drop £300-400 on a new system.

NFSCARBON1
Kinect (PS Move doesn't seem as popular)

Move has been a pretty poor performer compared to Kinect. At one point it was being outsold 5 to 1 and remember that's one Playstation Move (for one player) Vs one Kinect (which can be used for at least 2 people). I wouldn't be surprised if Move is killed off in a few years because wands are really played out now, even Nintendo has moved on. So Sony need something to tempt people (other than 3D).

Robin.

Last edited:
Or sony can do a system board upgrade.

But postage and labor better be free with the cost of the board.

If you want sony to upgrade your unit, it will have a warrenty(only for the board, even if your the rest of the unit has no warrenty)

If you do it you will void current warrenty(if any) and have no warrenty on the new board

Last edited:
Or sony can do a system board upgrade.

But postage and labor better be free with the cost of the board.

It would be impossible to do that, it would be like a product recall! Theres no reason why they can't use the ethernet port and just move the original port on to the add on. Besides many people use wi-fi anyway.

Robin.

But how will it connect?

Add the lan connection to the new box.

Wi-Fi has its issues even when 2 feet from the modem/router and i rather use Ethernet.

Even if it did use ethernet or HDMI. will the current motherboards be able to take the instructions from the new CPU and memory and use them effectively and still give a speed boost?

Heck even just a memory upgrade will be good, games like GT5 need more ram.

Even if it did use ethernet or HDMI. will the current motherboards be able to take the instructions from the new CPU and memory and use them effectively and still give a speed boost?

Heck even just a memory upgrade will be good, games like GT5 need more ram.

Windows Readyboost is able to give a marked improvement using flash memory over USB so I don't see why real RAM plugged into a ethernet port wouldn't offer a just as good if not way better a boost. It would be easy to program the system with a firmware update to send and receive information to / from the external RAM. I don't think Sony would bother putting in an external cell processor like originally intended though.

Robin.

But how will it connect?

exactly.
i wondered also where an external cpu or ram or gpu should be attached to without opening the case of the ps3.
There is no suitable connector available. (i dont know for sure, but i doubt the AV extra plug is capable of delivering enough data exchange)

Surely it must involve opening the case then? With some easy to follow guidelines (and a small legal document saying Sony aren't liable for their failure :sly:) then it might work. But I still fear that compu-noobs will be anxious about messing with electronics that cost them $600.

I suppose the HDD connection could utalised and your HDD put into the expasion maybe?

I suppose the HDD connection could utalised and your HDD put into the expasion maybe?

Yeah that would another clever way of doing it 👍. SATA is more than fast enough and such a setup is similar to how the network adapter was added to the fat PS2's. Only problem would be that those with fat PS3's would no longer be able to stand them vertically.

Robin.

exactly.
i wondered also where an external cpu or ram or gpu should be attached to without opening the case of the ps3.
There is no suitable connector available. (i dont know for sure, but i doubt the AV extra plug is capable of delivering enough data exchange)

Wrong. Like marchi suggested, simply put an Ethernet port on the external add-on. Kind of like daisy chaining.

In my personal opinion, they should just work on making a PS4. Only this time, think ahead and realize that it's not practical to keep churning out entirely new hardware. People are investing heavily in both hardware and software, and since backwards compatibility is no longer the norm, people aren't really willing to constantly upgrade to new systems. Make the PS4 designed to be very easily upgradable. Not with random off-the-shelf RAM or stuff like that, naturally. It's got to be proprietary Sony-produced upgrade modules that are easy to understand. The console should be designed so that it's very easy to open up and swap out these modules, without exposing all the internals. Think of something similar to the N64 and it's upgradable RAM "expansion pak".

For instance, the base system could come with "Stage 1" CPU, GPU, and RAM modules. Over the life of the console, they could release subsequent stages that can be swapped out for higher performance. And naturally, the games should clearly state (on the front of the box, preferably) the minimum Stages for each are needed to play.

But how will it connect?

How about a peice that fit's over both USB ports? Still only 70mbs, but it could be used to share the load with the PS3. With Ethernet they could include a mini router. So you plug the ethernet cable into the box that sends a wireless signal to the PS3 and the ethernet at the back of the PS3 is used to communicate with the addon

Don't want to be a buzz kill, but I seriously doubt using an Ethernet as an expansion slot is possible, especially if it wasn't thought about at the time of development of a console. It's not as easy as "Lets plug X device into Ethernet and get 1Gbps throughput", the NIC is designed to read network traffic and that's it, getting it to do anything else is a royal pain in the in the ass. If anyone here has worked with things as seemingly simple as USB to CAT5e adapters then they know what I mean.

HDMI is connected to the video chips and it is made to be an Output device not an I/O one.

But if you could get HDMI to work it will work very well with 10gbps of bandwidth

Given that they filed the patent, *maybe* they did intend one of the existing ports for a future add on connector.

This is all speculation, of course. We don't even know how they'll connect. Someone suggested the SATA port which is very ingenous and viable, but if that's the case then there would need to be two different addons, one for the slim and one for the fat.

Or maybe they won't even release one for the fatty.

HDMI is connected to the video chips and it is made to be an Output device not an I/O one.

But if you could get HDMI to work it will work very well with 10gbps of bandwidth

HDMI does have the Ethernet pins. Though I don't think the PS3 supports the standard needed to allow an internet connection to go through the cable and into a device.

HDMI does have the Ethernet pins. Though I don't think the PS3 supports the standard needed to allow an internet connection to go through the cable and into a device.

Yeah. Ethernet Data (Though only 100Mbps) has only been standardised in HDMI 1.4.

Would love a ram upgrade if it's relatively cheap and works well. Something similar to the expansion pak on the n64 would be cool.

Wrong. Like marchi suggested, simply put an Ethernet port on the external add-on. Kind of like daisy chaining.

no way 100mbit or even 1 gigabit ethernet are suitable performance wise. let alone the protocoll and hardware issues.

i agree on a ps4 though.

Back