Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

I know if I had the spare income at the moment I would invest in one. I enjoy using the rift on my pc and it sounds like the ps4 has some solid titles for vr.

So given that the PS4 has shifted 80 million units, it means that the take up of the PSVR amongst PS4 owners is only around 3.75%

Obviously this is not accounting for those with multiple PS4 units, or those that re-purchased after an out of warranty failure of their PS4.
It's got a relatively hefty price tag and is still a bit of a niche market. 3 million is not at all shabby. Imagine if logitech stopped producing g29's because they didnt have huge saturation. I'd be surprised to hear that logitech sold as many.

So given that the PS4 has shifted 80 million units, it means that the take up of the PSVR amongst PS4 owners is only around 3.75%

That really isn't great stats, the Pro was introduced to show off VR and give it the hardware is deserved. Sony envisaged that at least half of all Pro's sold would be accompanied by a PSVR purchase and not only has that not happened, even the Pro itself hasn't exactly taken off!

There are just too many half baked VR mini games or tacked on VR modes. Where are the AAA boxed retail VR specific titles?

That really isn't great stats, the Pro was introduced to show off VR and give it the hardware is deserved. Sony envisaged that at least half of all Pro's sold would be accompanied by a PSVR purchase and not only has that not happened, even the Pro itself hasn't exactly taken off!

There are just too many half baked VR mini games or tacked on VR modes. Where are the AAA boxed retail VR specific titles?
Probably waiting for more than 3 million headsets to be sold...
A quick look for the ps4 shows Ace Combat 7, skyrim, Doom, Resident Evil 7, and a bunch of other games on deck. Not sure how many on deck are AAA, but there are some.

Last edited:
Probably waiting for more than 3 million headsets to be sold...
A quick look for the ps4 shows Ace Combat 7, skyrim, Doom, Resident Evil 7, and a bunch of other games on deck. Not sure how many on deck are AAA, but there are some.

The thing is with those titles is that although VR features it's not a must have, they can be played just as well and be enjoyed put as much using a TV, and this is the problem VR faces. Where is that 'you just have to have it' VR title that simply can't be experienced in way that does it justice without having the headset?

It needs it's 'killer app'. Maybe that will come with, as you say, more sales of headset to incentivise the developers but its a chicken an egg scenario where the headset might die before it gained enough traction to make that happen. Sony should be working harder to make this happen because 3rd parties won't.

It has a killer app. Yes Wipeout Omega Collection can be played without a VR headset but it is transformed into something truly brilliant with one.

I agree with you 100%. Wipeout in VR is the most intense video game experience I've ever had and easily the best VR experience available on the PS4, possibly the best VR experience period.

Except there's one problem - nobody's playing it. Online is dead in all geographic areas - if you're lucky you might find a game in the EU area, but that's it. Nobody is talking about it - wipeoutzone is dead, wipeout reddit is dead, and from what comments there are it appears that only a small minority are even remotely interested in the VR aspect.

It made a big buzz when the VR patch was released, and then it dropped off the radar almost instantly, despite Sony's continual pushing of it in the PS store.

The thing is with those titles is that although VR features it's not a must have, they can be played just as well and be enjoyed put as much using a TV, and this is the problem VR faces. Where is that 'you just have to have it' VR title that simply can't be experienced in way that does it justice without having the headset?

It needs it's 'killer app'. Maybe that will come with, as you say, more sales of headset to incentivise the developers but its a chicken an egg scenario where the headset might die before it gained enough traction to make that happen. Sony should be working harder to make this happen because 3rd parties won't.

RE7 in VR is a completely different experience from the conventional 2D experience. And what is your source for Sony expecting half the PS4 Pros to be partnered with VR?

Have you tried the PS VR, or any VR for that matter?

It has a killer app. Yes Wipeout Omega Collection can be played without a VR headset but it is transformed into something truly brilliant with one.
That was the main reason I bought the PSVR - but alas it doesn't agree with me. I break out in a cold sweat after just a few minutes on it, and unfortunately GT Sport is not much better (in terms of the dizziness feeling I get from it)... it's a pity because otherwise I'd get a lot more use out of it.

That was the main reason I bought the PSVR - but alas it doesn't agree with me. I break out in a cold sweat after just a few minutes on it, and unfortunately GT Sport is not much better (in terms of the dizziness feeling I get from it)... it's a pity because otherwise I'd get a lot more use out of it.

You might just need to grow your VR legs a bit. Short periods of exposure until you just start to feel that "ugh" feeling, then stop immediately and rest a bit - don't try to fight through it otherwise you will probably be ill. Gradually your brain will get used to seeing things that your body isn't feeling.

Remember that Wipeout is pretty hardcore VR, especially with all the VR safeties turned off, so it might be a good idea to ease yourself in with something like the VR worlds package from Sony. The shark diving I've heard is a good beginners VR introduction which might help with your VR legs.

Oh, and as somebody who has no ill effects from VR, I can quite believe that you're also affected by the GT Sport VR mode as I find that there's something just a little off and not quite right about it, but I can't put my finger on it.

My recommendation is to take PSVR gaming sessions in short bursts. I have a tendency towards motion sickness, and overcame these issues (with my PSVR) by stopping playing before I was exhibiting significant symptoms. I'd leave it for at least an hour and try again later. This approach enabled me to play for longer and longer periods. Now I can play for a couple of hours before feeling any queasiness.

So yeah, Firewall Zero Hour with the aim controller is quite impressive! Anyone who has doubts about VR or where the tech is currently at needs to give this game a try.

So yeah, Firewall Zero Hour with the aim controller is quite impressive! Anyone who has doubts about VR or where the tech is currently at needs to give this game a try.
I'm hearing all kinds of good things about it.

Would you recommend it for someone who has never played a first-person shooter before in their life?

I'm hearing all kinds of good things about it.

Would you recommend it for someone who has never played a first-person shooter before in their life?

Good question, I’m not really sure. I’m enjoying it quite a bit so naturally I’d recommend it to pretty much anyone unless they specifically didn’t like first person shooters, and then I guess it would depend on why they don’t like them. Since you’ve never played any FPS I would probably recommend you wait on it a bit so you can get the best experience, there are a few issues that need resolving (host migration, short matches, currently very few game modes) but if fixed they will make for a much better time. Might be good to also wait to see what happens with the player base as it’s mostly built around multiplayer. I want to say just get it but I’d hate to lead someone to disappointment.

As for motion sickness (because I recall you experiencing some in VR) I haven’t read of a single case yet with they game so I think they nailed it there. The controls are pretty smooth and intuitive, especially with the Aim controller. It’s very immersive and the matches can often be quite intense. Graphics are pretty good. I haven’t noticed any framerate issues and only experienced a little lag due to what I assume was a slow host connection. Tracking is good but I have had minor issues possibly caused by my current setup.

Here’s a quick capture of one of my matches, was pretty close to needing a change of pants after this one.

Good question, I’m not really sure. I’m enjoying it quite a bit so naturally I’d recommend it to pretty much anyone unless they specifically didn’t like first person shooters, and then I guess it would depend on why they don’t like them. Since you’ve never played any FPS I would probably recommend you wait on it a bit so you can get the best experience, there are a few issues that need resolving (host migration, short matches, currently very few game modes) but if fixed they will make for a much better time. Might be good to also wait to see what happens with the player base as it’s mostly built around multiplayer. I want to say just get it but I’d hate to lead someone to disappointment.

As for motion sickness (because I recall you experiencing some in VR) I haven’t read of a single case yet with they game so I think they nailed it there. The controls are pretty smooth and intuitive, especially with the Aim controller. It’s very immersive and the matches can often be quite intense. Graphics are pretty good. I haven’t noticed any framerate issues and only experienced a little lag due to what I assume was a slow host connection. Tracking is good but I have had minor issues possibly caused by my current setup.

Here’s a quick capture of one of my matches, was pretty close to needing a change of pants after this one.

That does look nice.

Thanks for the input.
My question was more related to not having the bare minimum knowledge about tactics or how to proceed the correct way in certain situations.
I mean, I can see myself killing people from my own team...

But I'll definitely keep an eye for a nice promotion on the bundle with the Aim controller.

Played Beat Saber last night and was blown away. It will definitely be my go-to game anytime I’m introducing someone to VR.

While waiting on my T-Flight and Ace Combat 7 to arrive. I decided to score Ultrawings VR to get some flying in for the next few weeks. It was on special so picked it up for $11. Maybe the best 11 I've spent in my life. The graphics are fairly chunky but the flying is amazing. Couldn't see it being anywhere near as good in 2D. Being able to track targets or obstacles over your shoulder is invaluable. The Ultralight was good, the jet boosted glider is sensational.

While waiting on my T-Flight and Ace Combat 7 to arrive. I decided to score Ultrawings VR to get some flying in for the next few weeks. It was on special so picked it up for $11. Maybe the best 11 I've spent in my life. The graphics are fairly chunky but the flying is amazing. Couldn't see it being anywhere near as good in 2D. Being able to track targets or obstacles over your shoulder is invaluable. The Ultralight was good, the jet boosted glider is sensational.

Despite all the hype about Ace Combat 7 and VR, it went from a must buy to maybe pick it up in the sales when I found out that the VR aspect of it is pretty much another VR tech demo with, as I understand it, just 3 VR missions that are not part of the campaign. I, like many others, thought the whole game would be playable in VR based upon all the hype surrounding it, so I'm disappointed to say the least.

You may well find that Ultrawings VR will be quite a bit more than the stopgap you intended it to be, and I'll go as far to say that Ultrawings is one of the best PSVR implementations I've so far experienced.

Despite all the hype about Ace Combat 7 and VR, it went from a must buy to maybe pick it up in the sales when I found out that the VR aspect of it is pretty much another VR tech demo with, as I understand it, just 3 VR missions that are not part of the campaign. I, like many others, thought the whole game would be playable in VR based upon all the hype surrounding it, so I'm disappointed to say the least.

You may well find that Ultrawings VR will be quite a bit more than the stopgap you intended it to be, and I'll go as far to say that Ultrawings is one of the best PSVR implementations I've so far experienced.
The VR aspect of Ace Combat has been known for a long time now. If I recall the interview, they didn't want to compromise the overall game for everyone else just to benefit VR users.

The VR aspect of Ace Combat has been known for a long time now. If I recall the interview, they didn't want to compromise the overall game for everyone else just to benefit VR users.

It has, but when the game was originally announced, there was no reason to suspect that VR support did not extend to the full game. I'm okay with the campaign not being in VR, but very disappointed that we can't use all the aircraft in VR. Only the F-18F, F-22, A-10 and Sukhoi SU-30 will be available in VR.

I'm still hyped for what looks to be the first good Ace Combat game on PlayStation since the PS2 era, and I'm confident that what VR content there is will be great, but they ought to have been clear from the get go on what kind of VR support was to be expected.

Does anyone knows how far from PS VR Theatre mode screen are we sitting? I know that PS VR screen size in medium mode is 163 inches.

I tried this to set up good FOV value in Project Cars 2 since it doesn't have VR mode i found that playing in theater mode gives me opportunity to have better Field Of View :)

@MroczMR I tried this with Asseto Corsa, and got somewhat satisfactory results.

Sorry cannot answer your question though, as I have no idea.
I just playing around with it till it worked. Not sure if you have as much scope in PCARS2!

Good luck

@MroczMR I tried this with Asseto Corsa, and got somewhat satisfactory results.

Sorry cannot answer your question though, as I have no idea.
I just playing around with it till it worked. Not sure if you have as much scope in PCARS2!

Good luck

well i managed to make this.

On large screen size i have 85 fov... It nearly emulates VR expirience xD it is pretty fun. I don't have great crystal vision, but it isn't something which kills the fun. It actually help to drive :)

I think the Processing Unit (PU) of my PSVR has died...

It was working fine earlier, but now there is no sign of life.

I noticed that it switches off if I turn the TV from PS4 to TV mode - the light on the PU box goes from white to red, and so when I go back to the PS4, the screen is black until I manually turn on the PSVR headset, which triggers the PU from red to white and normal service is resumed.

This time, however, I switched from my TV to PS4 but the box had no light at all.. I didn’t notice if it died right at that switch-over point, or if it had already gone.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve tried plugging in the box to a different socket but no luck. Could it be the power pack that connects to the PU? How easy/expensive is it to get a new PU?

The Dreams virtual reality update dropped yesterday and it's nothing short of incredible. Dreams might be one of the clearest games on PSVR and it runs fantastic. I played my off-road game I'm working on and off-roading in VR is an amazing experience.

For anyone who is on the fence I highly recommend it. The mandatory tutorials are annoying but probably necessary. New Dreams VR content being enabled by the minute and it will likely be a constant flow of new creations.

The Dreams virtual reality update dropped yesterday and it's nothing short of incredible.

Agreed. The feeling of "being in it", rather than "looking at it" is amazing.

While I have yet to redevelop any of my remixes, the YouTube videos published by Media Molecule indicate that the development user interface is really, really well thought out.

Not just three-dimensional visually, it provides 3D sound as well. So if you place a sound source say 10 feet (3M) up, and walk by, you hear the sound as coming from above and to the side, then coming from behind.

Take a look...

Latest Posts

Back