Space In General

What's funny about this is that 96% figure does not include NASA. It gets more silly when you realize that it's totally arbitrary...100km or 50 miles - nice, round, and mostly meaningless numbers.
A more specific and meaningful altitude is found at about 285 miles and up where intense radiation from the Van Allen belts is encountered. This value is lower over the South Atlantic Anomaly. Also, there are very specific altitudes where heavy debris is orbiting.

Imagine being stuck in a seat next to @Vision Solar on a long spaceship flight. He'd probably have to sell one of his Ferraris to pay for the ticket though.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who this stunt of going on high ballistic trajectories is working out for, but can we force some flat earthers on there? I'd like to see us use this for good.

People online seem to be complaining that the money could be put to better use than sending tourists up into space.

But doesn't the money stay here on earth? It's not destroyed. That's what my dad always believed at any rate as far as the space programme was concerned. Unless this all goes into Bezos's money bin it's still in the economy.

Last edited:
People online seem to be complaining that the money could be put to better use than sending tourists up into space.

But doesn't the money stay here on earth? It's not destroyed. That's what my dad always believed at any rate as far as the space programme was concerned. Unless this all goes into Bezos's money bin it's still in the economy.
Assuming that the space tourism industry grows, it's going to provide a ton of jobs. It won't only be the engineers developing the spacecraft and its components, but there will be a whole hospitality industry built around it. You'll need people booking the trips and handling the logistic, which I assume is insane when it comes to space travel. There will also be a need for a medical industry to be built around it too. Right now we have a medical industry built around FAA requirements for airline pilots. This will need to be expanded for everyone looking to go into space.

I see a ton of growth in the industry that will provide some really good-paying jobs.

There's also the added benefit that the money being spent on these trips will flow over into R&D that could very well benefit other technologies. Think about Velcro, it became commonplace because of spaceflight.

Are ostentatious displays of wealth - or conspicuous consumption - evidenced by tourist visits to space, anathema to themes of equality, diversity and social justice? 🤨

Last edited:
There's also the added benefit that the money being spent on these trips will flow over into R&D that could very well benefit other technologies. Think about Velcro, it became commonplace because of spaceflight.
More launches into space or near space could also provide some nice opportunities for academic research. If rockets are going up all the time it should be easier and cheaper for students or researchers to find launchers for satellites and other projects they might be working on.

Assuming that the space tourism industry grows, it's going to provide a ton of jobs. It won't only be the engineers developing the spacecraft and its components, but there will be a whole hospitality industry built around it. You'll need people booking the trips and handling the logistic, which I assume is insane when it comes to space travel. There will also be a need for a medical industry to be built around it too. Right now we have a medical industry built around FAA requirements for airline pilots. This will need to be expanded for everyone looking to go into space.

I see a ton of growth in the industry that will provide some really good-paying jobs.

More launches into space or near space could also provide some nice opportunities for academic research. If rockets are going up all the time it should be easier and cheaper for students or researchers to find launchers for satellites and other projects they might be working on.
But I think mainly it should be used for flat earthers. Because that has just got to stop.

This is pretty interesting, IMHO. A CME occurred on the far side of the sun, but the Earth was hit anyway.
From today's edition of Spaceweather.com:

DENSE SOLAR WIND SPARKS GEOMAGNETIC UNREST: A dense and strongly magnetized stream of solar wind enveloped Earth for a few hours on July 14th, unsettling our planet's magnetic field (Kp=4). No auroras were reported, probably because of bright summer sunlight. Quiet conditions have resumed on July 15th and are expected to continue for the next 2 to 3 days. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

FARSIDE EXPLOSION TOUCHES EARTH: Imagine an explosion on the farside of the sun so powerful, we could feel it here on Earth. It happened on July 13th. The debris emerged in a circular cloud known as a 'halo CME':

halocme_opt.gif

Above: The July 13th CME imaged by SOHO coronagraphs

When space weather forecasters first saw this explosion, there was a moment of excitement. It appeared to be heading directly toward Earth. However, data from NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft indicated otherwise. The CME was heading directly away from us--a farside event.

Now for the interesting part: Although the explosion occured on the farside, separated from Earth by the massive body of the sun, it still peppered our planet with high-energy particles. The Energetic and Relativistic Nuclei and Electron (ERNE) detector onboard SOHO recorded a surge in radiation not long after the CME appeared:

How did this radiation reach Earth? Rami Vainio, a professor of space physics at the University of Turku (Finland), who works with ERNE data says "it’s not possible to answer that question definitely without a detailed analysis involving multiple spacecraft." However, she speculates that the lift-off of the CME may have created a global shock wave on the farside of the sun. Particles spilling over the edge might have spiraled toward our planet.

Of particular interest are the green data points (51 to 100 MeV). These are the most energetic protons ERNE can detect. An uptick in green after the CME indicates unusually "hard" radiation---the kind accelerated in the leading edge of a fast-moving CME.

The source of the blast might have been the same sunspot (AR2838) that produced the first X-flare of Solar Cycle 25 on July 3rd. That sunspot is currently transiting the farside of the sun approximately where the CME came from. Within the next week AR2838 is expected to return--and then, maybe, the real fun begins. Stay tuned!

The 8th and possibly last tower section was lifted this morning at Starbase. Some controversy over this tower recently but I think that's just the media doing their thing. I'm looking forward to going back out there in a month or two when they have a full booster/starship stack next to this thing.

1626634550268.png

Solar physicists are quite convinced X level solar flares have the capability of knocking out the electrical power grid over a large region of the Earth's surface. Over the last two weeks, two X level flares erupted, but they were on the far side of the Sun. Tomorrow, the flare producing sunspots will begin to appear on the Earth-facing side of the Sun. They may or may not have retained their X flare producing properties.

This morning's edition of spaceweather.com has this:

SOMETHING FLARE-Y THIS WAY COMES: The southeastern limb of the sun is seething with activity. During the late hours of July 19th, Earth-orbiting satellites detected multiple long-duration solar flares as glowing masses of plasma and magnetic arches surged into view. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the action:

activity_gold_strip.gif

The source of the turmoil is one or more sunspots hidden behind the limb of the sun. They won't remain hidden for long. The sun's rotation is turning the 'spots toward Earth, and we should be able to see them in the next day or two.

Update: The eruptions of July 19th also hurled a CME into space: movie. The storm cloud will not hit Earth. Future CMEs might, however, as the underlying blast site rotates in our direction later this week. Solar flare alerts: SMS Text.

Bezos and friends made a successful trip in his Penis and landed safely after a high altitude circumcision.

In 10 minutes and 29 seconds up and down.

Last edited:
From my point of view, this commercial space flights thing is an enormous waste of time and money and it goes nowhere... Only a thing affordable for the very rich.
And we will never be able to go to another habitable planet because they're too far away... and they should better spend that money in R&D to save our own and only planet... Clean energies, sustainability, reverse climate change, and so on.

Since this thread has been about rocketry more than space, I think I'll include this here:

Successful test of the most powerful rocket in the world.

Not sure what went flying but buddy that's loud. I'd argue that the world won't have heard anything as loud as this thing launching in quite a while.
Maybe not since March.

From my point of view, this commercial space flights thing is an enormous waste of time and money and it goes nowhere... Only a thing affordable for the very rich.
And we will never be able to go to another habitable planet because they're too far away... and they should better spend that money in R&D to save our own and only planet... Clean energies, sustainability, reverse climate change, and so on.
Imagine if we had never traveled across the seas to other continents. Space flight is the same deal, just on a much larger scale. We can try to save the earth as much as we want but it won't be here forever. We must become a multi planet species. Sure we're talking many, many generations down the line. But you have to start somewhere.

Imagine if we had never traveled across the seas to other continents. Space flight is the same deal, just on a much larger scale. We can try to save the earth as much as we want but it won't be here forever. We must become a multi planet species. Sure we're talking many, many generations down the line. But you have to start somewhere.
Those earth exploration comparisons...
Same deal... except its a million times harder and less realistic.
The Sun becoming a red giant will be the end of life in Earth, but that won't happen until many hundreds milions of years. We're not in a hurry at all

Last edited:
The Sun becoming a red giant will be the end of life in Earth, but that won't happen until many hundreds milions of years. We're not in a hurry at all
But we're currently overdue for a global supervolcano erruption, and killer asteroids can happen any time. Something like a moon outpost might be nice for situations like that.

Even on a more mundane level though, we're basically just increasing our capacity to send things into orbit and there are a lot of potential practical benefits to that when it comes to research, planetary defense (space weather/events, etc), and maybe even stuff like asteroid mining for addition resources.

The study of the atmospheres of other planets has had a lot of impact on our understanding of Earth's atmosphere.

As stated above, anything can happen at any time...

Not really. We've been exploring the solar system for over 50 years now and we've gone from barely being able to orbit the planet to flying helicopters around on Mars. Is it difficult? Sure, but it's not unrealistic by any means. Interstellar travel is still a ways off, but interplanetary travel isn't. Humans will be on Mars before the end of the decade. You have to start somewhere though and we have more advanced technology today than those who explored the oceans millennia ago.

The Sun isn't the issue, it's the quickly dwindling resources on Earth that will pose a problem. There's going to come a point in the next 100 years where certain resources just won't be available on Earth or they'll be controlled by a country that won't sell them to another. The only way around this is to look for resources elsewhere, which is space.

There's also a real possibility Earth could become uninhabitable for humans sooner rather than later. We're either going to have to adapt to the new environment, die, or find a new place to live.

I'd rather people be trying to figure this stuff out now instead of when it's way to late.

Back