Special Forza event at E3....under the stars!

• Thread starter vkss
  • 46 comments
Their words are building hype up. I hope the game speaks more than the talk coming out of T10's mouths.

But yeah.. Definitely looking forward to this!!

I'm thrilled to see FM4, too. If they realyl can push the Xbox to make a game look as good as what they're promising in the trailer, with 16 cars on the track, it'll be pretty darn awesome.
Especially if they further refined the physics and customisation.

Their words are building hype up. I hope the game speaks more than the talk coming out of T10's mouths.

Couldn't agree more.

Sounds to me like they know they have another rushed failure so they're going to try and sell the game on shock and awe rather then on being an actual good game.

Hmm, "under the stars" implies an outdoor event. Maybe they'll take over a portion of the parking lot and put on live driving/drifting shows whilst the game is shown off on screens and booths around?

Either way, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Personally, I think T10 may have learnt their lesson about overhyping after E3 2009 and "those comments" made by Greenwalt.

Couldn't agree more.

Sounds to me like they know they have another rushed failure

When your parent company demands a title to be released with x amount of new features every 24 months and threatens your jobs if you dont, of course its going to be rushed :dunce:

But yeah.. Definitely looking forward to this!!

Don't count on that. If you do, just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I hope FM4 gets back to trying to be a motorsport game and not so much a pretty picture taking car collecting game. I hope all that stuff about car clubs and racing features talked about in that leaked video are real. Won't be there on day one to find out this time though. Last two times I blindly pre-ordered I ended up a with a product that was less than what was advertised and expected. For FM2 they waited till the very last second to drop the no car clubs bombshell. For FM3 they waited till the very last second to drop the no custom public lobbies bombshell.

As far as taking something from "Under the stars". If it actually has a meaning, my guess would be night racing.

As far as taking something from "Under the stars". If it actually has a meaning, my guess would be night racing.

It only means that the event will take place at night. It isn't some clue to night racing returning to the series. It would be nice but, don't read into it. Just wait and see...

I am suprised you aren't taking this approach seeing that you have been burnt twice by the series.

(And Custom Public lobbies sucked just as much as the hoppers. They just sucked in a different way)

It only means that the event will take place at night. It isn't some clue to night racing returning to the series. It would be nice but, don't read into it. Just wait and see...

I am suprised you aren't taking this approach seeing that you have been burnt twice by the series.

(And Custom Public lobbies sucked just as much as the hoppers. They just sucked in a different way)

Ohh trust me. I'm not reading anything into anything, nor am I getting excited about anything. OP bolded the under the stars thing as if he thinks it meant something. I figure night racing is probably a good guess for a feature coming to the game. After all, I'm sure the painters and picture takers will love it...lol

I disagree completely on the CPL. To me, the CPL was the backbone of every good racing game ever. PGR2 had them, and still considered by many as the best online racer ever. My entire XBL friends list is comprised of people I've mostly met through the CPL. Simply because like minded people could find each other more easily in that setup. It was even worse in FM3 because the lack of the CPL, along with the jacked PI system, rendered many great cars useless.

I don't think the hoppers are worthless though. I think T10's implementation of them has been though. I think the CPL can and should run beside a hopper system. The CPL's for the people wanting to race specific stuff on specific tracks. Then have a hopper system that is updated regularly providing different "spec" racing options. Not half done rip offs of PGR community created smash em up games (cat and mouse, LMS, etc).

Ohh trust me. I'm not reading anything into anything, nor am I getting excited about anything. OP bolded the under the stars thing as if he thinks it meant something. I figure night racing is probably a good guess for a feature coming to the game. After all, I'm sure the painters and picture takers will love it...lol

I disagree completely on the CPL. To me, the CPL was the backbone of every good racing game ever. PGR2 had them, and still considered by many as the best online racer ever. My entire XBL friends list is comprised of people I've mostly met through the CPL. Simply because like minded people could find each other more easily in that setup. It was even worse in FM3 because the lack of the CPL, along with the jacked PI system, rendered many great cars useless.

I don't think the hoppers are worthless though. I think T10's implementation of them has been though. I think the CPL can and should run beside a hopper system. The CPL's for the people wanting to race specific stuff on specific tracks. Then have a hopper system that is updated regularly providing different "spec" racing options. Not half done rip offs of PGR community created smash em up games (cat and mouse, LMS, etc).

Ah... I see. Consider what I wrote retracted then. From all of the hype generated by the fans and the little effort to squash any of it by Turn 10, most of the fans seen FM3 a giant letdown. I was lucky enough to take the "I'll belive it when I see it" stance then to belive all of the lists and hype that poured out of the forums section of Forza's website. Glad I did, cause I mostly went into playing FM3 with out knowing what to expect.

My expierences with the CPL's has me hoping they do not return in any capacity. Most of my time was spent waiting for a room to fill up. While waiting, I had to endure endless requests to turn certain assists on, and requests to race at certain tracks because of an awesome tune the requester had for that track. I quickly grew tired of that ****, so I retreated to private lobbies and haven't been bothered to look back. The hoppers ended the waiting, allowing me to jump in and race what I want to (relatively) with in 5 minutes of signing into multiplayer. I never had that luck in FM2 unless I got an invite to race when I turned the system on.
Then there were the multiple rooms all racing the same thing. A class AWD Sebring, Road Atlanta, Suzuka and Motegi when it was released as DLC... :\

If they give me Forza 3 with the improvements already officially stated: new tire physics, laser-scanned tracks and cars, and more cars, then I'll happily buy the game on day one at full MSRP. Anything else they announce is icing on my cake.

I guess that's just the result of having realistic expectations; and that I actually enjoy games instead of just complaining about them (before they even exist) on internet forums for not living up to impossible expectations.

This forum is chock-full of people who build cockpits and buy expensive steering wheels and then just talk crap about every racing game out there, it's mind boggling to read some of these threads.

Last edited:
If they give me Forza 3 with the improvements already officially stated: new tire physics, laser-scanned tracks and cars, and more cars, then I'll happily buy the game on day one at full MSRP. Anything else they announce is icing on my cake.

I guess that's just the result of having realistic expectations; and that I actually enjoy games instead of just complaining about them (before they even exist) on internet forums for not living up to impossible expectations.

This forum is chock-full of people who build cockpits and buy expensive steering wheels and then just talk crap about every racing game out there, it's mind boggling to read some of these threads.

100% right

All I'm asking for is Forza 2 physics back. Everything else would just be hype IMO.

Forza 2 physics? :irked:

Forza 3's physics were really great and a massive improvement. I bet they will improve it a lot again for Forza 4. You should get a wheel for the best experience.

In terms of AWD cars, they have to change something in the LI-system, because they are way too fast.

Don't count on that. If you do, just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I hope FM4 gets back to trying to be a motorsport game and not so much a pretty picture taking car collecting game. I hope all that stuff about car clubs and racing features talked about in that leaked video are real. Won't be there on day one to find out this time though. Last two times I blindly pre-ordered I ended up a with a product that was less than what was advertised and expected. For FM2 they waited till the very last second to drop the no car clubs bombshell. For FM3 they waited till the very last second to drop the no custom public lobbies bombshell.

I think all devs have a tendency to overpromise and under-deliver (at least to a degree). Some are worse than others (here's looking at your PD). I thought the 2 dropped features you mentioned would be in Forza games for sure. The car clubs thing was something my friends and I were excited for. The custom lobbies, like from FM2, were dropped and I definitely missed them, albeit it racing private races online was the general norm for me. For me FM2's biggest fault with private lobby/races is that you earned 0 in credits and 0 in xp. At least for FM3 they fixed this bastardization of a forgotten simple addition (I really couldn't stand it in FM2... private lobbies for me and friends to avoid the timmy's from ruining the game).

To be honest, I think Forza 3 kept in lines with the motorsport theme very well. Forza 3 to me was a big expansion from Forza 2 and many of the features were tweaked and adjusted in a very good way. Very few in my eyes actually took a step back, like the public lobbies/hoppers.

To be honest, I think Forza 3 kept in lines with the motorsport theme very well. Forza 3 to me was a big expansion from Forza 2 and many of the features were tweaked and adjusted in a very good way. Very few in my eyes actually took a step back, like the public lobbies/hoppers.

See, it wasn't just the CPL that got yanked for 3 that makes me believe they aren't focused on motorsport. In lobby tuning, local leaderboards, career leaderboards, tournaments....the list goes on. So much stuff got removed between FM2 and FM3 and what did we get in it's place? A storefront for the painters and Forza tycoon players, leaderboards for video making and picture taking.

Even with the hoppers they showed their focus isn't on motorsport. For a long time the only hopper updates that ever happened were them adding some crash game that just plain doesn't work with Forza's ragdoll crash physics and poor netcode.

Then there was the glitches that showed they didn't care about motorsport. They were all over any credit glitches like stink on...well you know. Even banning people who "cheated" a few credits. Meanwhile, the leaderboards were full of glitched times that were deemed rather famously as not being a "showstopper".

I do hope they prove me wrong for FM4. I'm not some hater out there hating on T10 for no reason. I hope FM4 is the "definitive" racing game that FM3 was hyped to be. I will not hold my breath on that though, and I recommend that others do the same. Many of you who absolutely loved FM3, are most likely going to end up like many who absolutely loved (myself included) FM1 or FM2...bitterly disappointed that something you expected to be there, or was told was going to be there (like every online feature from FM2 was promised to be there in FM3) ends up being just a corporate fib told to keep your pre-order in place.

Please, PLEASE tell me you're just trying to troll...

:grumpy: As one of the trolliest of them all, you should just keep silent now.

The amount of baby girl, childish wining on this forum is ridiculous. The ''GT5 is a failure, FM3 is just a bunch of crap'' is out of control. I think the ForzaMotorsport thread should be removed entirely from this otherwise nice site because its a place for boneheads to just write **** about the ''other game''.

It's been awhile since I played FM2 but I'm not sure which leader boards got removed. FM3 does have the leaderboards you mentioned from the overall best to friends lists' to local, etc. Tournaments I believe were removed but probably due to the lack of interest in them. I really hope that FM4 brings the custom lobbies even if we want to setup a single race or a full blown tournament or series. One major gripe people had with FM2 was the career and T10 really did a good job in FM3's career. Many people also wanted an overhaul with the storefront and a lot of effort went into the storefront/auction house side of things. You might not care for painters, tuners, builders, etc but many do. I personally like saving time making my own and spending a few thousand on a really nice livery for a car.

A glitch is not intentional. T10 didn't want the whole economy side of things with the storefront and auction house that they worked hard on to go to crap so they had an iron fist with the credit glitchers, and in my book rightfully so. Think about it if everyone credit glitched.. There would be no reason to upload items like full liveries, vinyl groups or tunes to your storefront to earn money since you can glitch and get that money. They did try to adjust and tweak a few bugs on tracks that would wrongly void a lap time or a glitch that wouldn't void a specific lap time. I don't think they resolved it completely though. In my book, a lot was added and a lot was expanded but not much was removed from FM2 to FM3.

I'm a big fan of racing games of all nature, mostly the sim side of things but both GT and FM franchises are ones I love and have owned every full release of each game (sans prologue cuz I think prologue's existence is blasphemy). I wasn't disappointed with FM3 although the hype they built up made many expect something more than what they got. T10 hyping the game as they did is similar to how PD, EA, Codemasters, etc hype their racing games. 1 is not worse than the other. For every 'definitive' argument GT fans would mention. a Forza fan could bring up the 'standard' argument tied to GT's name.

The amount of baby girl, childish wining on this forum is ridiculous. The ''GT5 is a failure, FM3 is just a bunch of crap'' is out of control. I think the ForzaMotorsport thread should be removed entirely from this otherwise nice site because its a place for boneheads to just write **** about the ''other game''.

I don't agree 1 bit. Many of us are multiplat owners who like both GT and Forza franchises. This site is great in the fact that it also has these sections. What needs to be done is trolls and fanboiz being put in their place and banned without hesitation to prevent the trolling, regardless of what section of this forum we are in. This is afterall a gaming franchise enthusiast site which has more than just GT talk. If you remove the Forza section, then you need to remove every nonGT section there is.
I don't like the trolling but... GT/FM seems to always have it on every site I've visited. It comes down to a Sony vs MS thing for most.

What needs to be done is trolls and fanboiz being put in their place and banned without hesitation to prevent the trolling, regardless of what section of this forum we are in.

Agree 100 percent. I've owned both systems and am rooting for both games to become the best games they can be.

Trolls are always a annoying problem. Especially the fanboys who largely get away with their trolling because they are somehow defending the game. Certainly the "teh game suxors" trolls are bad, but to me the ones who enter threads that might be calmly discussing issues or problems with a game, and proceed to start tossing bombs like "baby girl" or "childish" or "moaner and whiner" are much worse. These are the people who are truly the trolls and need to be silenced.

On your other post. Don't get me wrong. I like a good paint job just as much as the next guy. I just don't think it needs to be the focus of the game. And to me, and it's just my opinion that's shared by many, they clearly moved the motorsport part to the background by removing many features.

And to me it wasn't so much hype as it was looking me in the eye and telling lies. Which I can't stand. Many people were worried about where the game was heading when we started hearing stuff about drift modes, and video editors and photo leaderboards early in the development. Then you read a quote from Greenawalt himself telling the entire community not to worry and that all the online features from FM2 would be present in FM3. This wasn't hype. He knew they were cutting a bunch of stuff, but told people what they wanted to hear instead. That's my biggest problem with T10. Take the game whatever direction you think is best. Just don't lie to me about it just so you can keep my money in your pockets.

T10/Greenwalt aren't the first, nor the last developer/head to say a game will have a feature that never comes. I know my buddy hates the fact that the youtube upload never came to GT5 nor that the damage/private lobbies patch mentioned for GT5P never came. They all do it to a degree. I think too many fanboys latched onto what T10/Greenwalt said on both sides of the fence, and made it much more than what it was. You can see this with them continuing the 'definitive' comment with FM4 since even negative press can be viewed as positive.

Forza 3 did not move the motorsport part to the background. The whole game is about motorsports and racing cars on tracks. Your career starts you off in easy races and your last year is the hardest with the most level playing field racing the fastest cars. The livery editor adds, not subtracts, like many other modes. What better way than to take any car in the game and slap a racing livery or theme to it, like the Gulf livery that many seem to like painting on just about every vehicle in the game sides with motorsports, not against it. The photo/video modes are an extension since you're taking photos/videos of the racing (there's no scenic views, it's either your garage or on the track). There's no museum section here either. List goes on but it's one of those..
Many of what people wanted was what was discussed/promoted more. T10 actually went to the people who like some of these features to make them better, and such publicized them even with promo videos. With all the enhancements and additions within a 2yr dev window some things didn't make the final cut like tourneys while others suffered like custom public lobbies. I'm sure T10 listened and will hopefully follow suit with FM4.

T10/Greenwalt aren't the first, nor the last developer/head to say a game will have a feature that never comes. I know my buddy hates the fact that the youtube upload never came to GT5 nor that the damage/private lobbies patch mentioned for GT5P never came. They all do it to a degree. I think too many fanboys latched onto what T10/Greenwalt said on both sides of the fence, and made it much more than what it was. You can see this with them continuing the 'definitive' comment with FM4 since even negative press can be viewed as positive.

Forza 3 did not move the motorsport part to the background. The whole game is about motorsports and racing cars on tracks. Your career starts you off in easy races and your last year is the hardest with the most level playing field racing the fastest cars. The livery editor adds, not subtracts, like many other modes. What better way than to take any car in the game and slap a racing livery or theme to it, like the Gulf livery that many seem to like painting on just about every vehicle in the game sides with motorsports, not against it. The photo/video modes are an extension since you're taking photos/videos of the racing (there's no scenic views, it's either your garage or on the track). There's no museum section here either. List goes on but it's one of those..
Many of what people wanted was what was discussed/promoted more. T10 actually went to the people who like some of these features to make them better, and such publicized them even with promo videos. With all the enhancements and additions within a 2yr dev window some things didn't make the final cut like tourneys while others suffered like custom public lobbies. I'm sure T10 listened and will hopefully follow suit with FM4.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. What you see as acceptable (developers lying about content in their games), I don't. Which is fine, I guess people have different standards.

I do wish more of the take whatever they give you video game fan types would come into my place of business more often. I like easy money.

No, local leaderboards and other nice features of FM2 are gone :(.

Yea, that was one of the more mind boggling decisions they made IMO. How do you have a game that you're claiming to be a definitive racing sim with no way to keep up with your own personal times other than writing them down on a notepad like it's 1994 or something.

I mean really, even Sonic All Star racing had local LB's.:crazy:

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. What you see as acceptable (developers lying about content in their games), I don't. Which is fine, I guess people have different standards.

I do wish more of the take whatever they give you video game fan types would come into my place of business more often. I like easy money.

I'm not saying it's acceptable. I'm saying it happens across the board, not just out of Greenwalt/T10. Not to make this a vs thread but PD and Kaz are far more guilty of this than Greenwalt/T10. Most here will disagree without looking at the facts.

I think these devs needs to underpromise and underhype and over deliver. Let the game speak louder than the hype train guided by PR speak

Yea, that was one of the more mind boggling decisions they made IMO. How do you have a game that you're claiming to be a definitive racing sim with no way to keep up with your own personal times other than writing them down on a notepad like it's 1994 or something.

Just like a game claiming to be the 'standard' without as much as having.. well.. I'll just leave it at that. Again, I don't want this to be another vs thread.

Forza 3 does keep your best times after you finish the race. Select leaderboards and I forget which button (y? x?) will help you filter between overall to people in your class to people on your friend's list to.. I forget what the last one was. It's usually blank for me aside from my name so I was assuming it was local? You're 1994 comment speaks volumes for the lack of any leaderboards in the other title though, outside of seasonal events of course. Neither game does it right so don't single out 1.

I think 1 thing that FM2 had that FM3 didn't was lan support, but that's what xbox live is for. I don't mind FM4 not having this either since I don't game on lans anymore and have xbox live.

Last edited:
Dawg just don't get the game mate.

You got stung on F3 and GT5.

You never learnt your lesson from F3.
All developers are the same.
Great thing about the Internet is that within a week or 2 all the moans are out there for everyone to see.

Just give it a miss. Concentrate on PC sims.

Only with shifts Autolog I realized the importance of leaderboards in a racing game (yes I can be a bit slow sometimes) and if it is well implemented (like shifts autolog) it can add alot to the game experience

Sounds to me like they know they have another rushed failure so they're going to try and sell the game on shock and awe rather then on being an actual good game.

Man, you must have really hated GT5 then, since GT5 was a delayed failure. Of course, I expect at this point for someone to argue that GT5 wasn't a "failure" since it sold millions of copies, but FM3 wasn't a "failure" in that regard either, since while not selling as well as GT5 it did still sell at least a couple million copies when last I checked, and that makes it a success since most games sell one million or fewer. So, this would leave "failure" to imply that the game was bad, but FM3 is better than GT5, so.... Polyphony actually needs to take notes from Turn 10 when it comes to making good games, because PD is doing it wrong.

You mean like PD's mind-boggling decision to make us write down tuning setups on a notepad rather than being able to save them in-game? FM3 lets me save a million tuning setups if I want them. I can have a hundred for a single car, if I feel the need. GT5 lets me have one per car, and beyond that you have to jot them down somewhere outside the game. That's just archaic. Tuning setups are way more important than a list of lap times, too. Any game that fails to allow us to save multiple setups per car for all cars isn't a definitive racing sim.

Last edited:
Back