SPhilli911's Fiesta ST

• Thread starter SPhilli911
  • 413 comments
Looking good Sean. Maybe some wheels as well?

1256.jpg
Wheels may happen eventually, not sure what to get yet. I ended up selling the Subaru (really sad about it, but the project fell apart from the start and the car needed more work than I cared to spend on it, plus I sorta lost interest once I got the ST), so I will need to buy a second set of wheels and tires for winter. Thinking I’ll wrap the stock wheels in snow tires and get a new set of wheels for next Spring. But that’s not high on my list, I quite like the stock wheels. They’re easy to clean. :P

It was fun, but I don't suggest doing it unless you like mud stuck in all possible cracks underneath the car. Took all 4 wheels off, put on jack stands and spend nearly an hour cleaning mud out.

I used to take my STI around a nearby dirt road all the time... you know, because rally car. Well, I took the ST around and immediately got stuck in a mud pit. See that nice big truck in the back? Towed me out. Still had fun!

dirtyfiestast_zpsjalxf73t.jpg
Yes BIG difference offroad in a FWD compared to an AWD STI. I would try to keep this car away from the mud. :sly:

Here we go:
20150718_172143_zps6owfjelg.jpg

Sadly the shop that mounted the tires nailed the wheels with a tool or something and took a big chip out of the paint on one of the wheels. They tried to tell me the wheels are shat and they aren't at fault. The manufacturer tells me the shop is full of poopy. So here I am stuck in the middle with a damaged wheel, forced to deal with it. Do I ignore it, buy another wheel, or repaint it? Ugh.

Nice Sean! Honestly I'd just do some touch up myself and leave it at that. They aren't going to be pristine forever.

Nice Sean! Honestly I'd just do some touch up myself and leave it at that. They aren't going to be pristine forever.
I thought about that. I suppose I can try it and see how it turns out. It's a pretty serious chip though.
20150718_171953_zpspsl20sxi.jpg

The shop is full of crap. The location of the chip is evidence enough to show how careless they were putting the wheels on the car.

I've owned the Fiesta ST now for a pretty good length of time and I have to say that, although it's a great car, it's lacking a connection or passion like I had with my STI. The STI was cool, it was fast, it looked wild, it was loud and obnoxious. It looked and felt like a car that didn't belong on the road. The ST, on the other hand, is cute, adorable (these are things people have said to me about the car) and... normal. It's quiet, it looks average, and it belongs on the road and blends in with the others. Don't get me wrong, the car is actually pretty fast and oh man is it fun. But I don't feel the desire to make it mine or to mod it beyond what it is now. The STI I would drive for fun, the ST I drive to get places.

I think the car will grow on me, maybe I will buy more parts for it and make it feel like my own unique car. But 6 months in, I am not finding the connection. I'll keep the car for a long time, but hopefully one day I can get back in a car I am passionate about.

21888482528_1061e26fe8_c.jpg

It's that weird Subaru thing.

I also feel the same way about every newer car I've driven.

I've owned the Fiesta ST now for a pretty good length of time and I have to say that, although it's a great car, it's lacking a connection or passion like I had with my STI. The STI was cool, it was fast, it looked wild, it was loud and obnoxious. It looked and felt like a car that didn't belong on the road. The ST, on the other hand, is cute, adorable (these are things people have said to me about the car) and... normal. It's quiet, it looks average, and it belongs on the road and blends in with the others. Don't get me wrong, the car is actually pretty fast and oh man is it fun. But I don't feel the desire to make it mine or to mod it beyond what it is now. The STI I would drive for fun, the ST I drive to get places.

I think the car will grow on me, maybe I will buy more parts for it and make it feel like my own unique car. But 6 months in, I am not finding the connection. I'll keep the car for a long time, but hopefully one day I can get back in a car I am passionate about.

21888482528_1061e26fe8_c.jpg
It's that weird Subaru thing.

I also feel the same way about every newer car I've driven.
Yes for sure.

I have had 3 Subaru Impreza's. I am concerned about that exact same feeling when I go to sell my WRX in a couple years. Every time I stop to get gas, or everywhere I go, on a daily basis I get a wave or a thumbs up from other Subaru drivers and many compliments from random people ALL the time. I have even been given free car wash tokens because people at gas stations liked my car so much. :)

On the other hand I hate how unreliable, expensive, and how hard it is to work on these Subaru's (Especially the turbo versions). It is a love hate relationship with the turbo versions for sure. Unfortunately when I sell this WRX in a couple years, it will be my last Subaru. So I have a feeling I will be in your similar shoes in a couple years when I sell mine. I still have NO idea what I want after my WRX is sold. I just know I wont have that same excitement, recognition, that I have with the Subaru Impreza's I have owned.

Last edited:
Yes for sure.

I have had 3 Subaru Impreza's. I am concerned about that exact same feeling when I go to sell my WRX in a couple years. Every time I stop to get gas, or everywhere I go, on a daily basis I get a wave or a thumbs up from other Subaru drivers and many compliments from random people ALL the time. On the other hand I hate how unreliable, expensive, and how hard it is to work on these Subaru's (Especially the turbo versions). It is a love hate relationship with the turbo versions for sure. So unfortunately when I sell this WRX in a couple years, it will be my last Subaru. So I have a feeling I will be in your similar shoes in a couple years when I sell mine. I still have NO idea what I want after my WRX is sold. I just know I wont have that same excitement, recognition, that I have with the Subaru Impreza's I have owned.
I've been seeing lots of WRXs on the road these days and I've thought about trading the ST in for one. Subarus have always been my go to cars, I do wish I considered the WRX before I bought the ST. However, the WRX is just a little too expensive for my current situation. I don't think I want to risk buying another used one. I lucked out with my STI, it had ZERO issues in my 3 years owning it and it's still (according to the new owner) kicking past 100,000 miles with not one problem. It was perfect, I wonder what was going through my mind when I sold it.

In any case, I think keeping the ST for a while will be the best bet, no matter how much I desire something more. I am saving money with the thing, it get's great gas mileage. It's hard to be a gearhead and not own a car you love, you know?

I've been seeing lots of WRXs on the road these days and I've thought about trading the ST in for one. Subarus have always been my go to cars, I do wish I considered the WRX before I bought the ST. However, the WRX is just a little too expensive for my current situation. I don't think I want to risk buying another used one. I lucked out with my STI, it had ZERO issues in my 3 years owning it and it's still (according to the new owner) kicking past 100,000 miles with not one problem. It was perfect, I wonder what was going through my mind when I sold it.

In any case, I think keeping the ST for a while will be the best bet, no matter how much I desire something more. I am saving money with the thing, it get's great gas mileage. It's hard to be a gearhead and not own a car you love, you know?
I have owned 1 RS and 2 WRX Impreza's. NO do not get the 5 speed manual WRX. The STI with the 6 speed manual is a MUCH more reliable manual vehicle by a longshot. The WRX 5 speed manual transmission is absolute junk. The only reason I did not get the STI is because of my back, I need an automatic. So I sold my previous manual WRX and got an automatic WRX. I know you would want the manual and trust me you do NOT want the WRX crappy 5 speed transmission. Absolute garbage. The STI is a much more reliable vehicle for sure, unfortunately I am not able to get one. They only make manual versions.

I understand your feeling for sure. I wanted an Impreza for MANY years. It was one of my dream cars. Unfortunately my WRX turbo versions have been a nightmare. The RS was a really reliable car. The WRX versions, not at all. The WRX is fun and beautiful and gets tons of positive attention, but the reality is that the WRX is just not a reliable car and around my area no one wants to work on these. Not even the Subaru dealership. Basically if you even consider a Subaru and you see any oil leak at all, pass.

So again, I just have no idea what I am getting next. It wont be a Subaru. I just know it has to be AWD since I live in Michigan. Thought about a small truck but that would be boring. I just honestly have no idea. Would like to get some sort of sporty AWD car, just not sure what I want.

Last edited:
So again, I just have no idea what I am getting next. It wont be a Subaru. I just know it has to be AWD since I live in Michigan. Thought about a small truck but that would be boring. I just honestly have no idea. Would like to get some sort of sporty AWD car, just not sure what I want.
I'm in the same boat, I want AWD. I bought an RS with the intention of using it for winter, but it needed more work, so I got rid of it. If I can find a rust free 2.5 RS, I will buy one, but in New England, forget it. They're all rusty piles of poo, but I prefer the NA engine over the turbos myself.

I would suggest Audis, but those are expensive. Besides trucks, what else is AWD? BMW has some, but again, expensive. You wouldn't even consider a base Impreza? My mom's got one and it's great in the snow, although it's really, really slow and pretty terrible on gas. Maybe even a Legacy?

I'm in the same boat, I want AWD. I bought an RS with the intention of using it for winter, but it needed more work, so I got rid of it. If I can find a rust free 2.5 RS, I will buy one, but in New England, forget it. They're all rusty piles of poo, but I prefer the NA engine over the turbos myself.

I would suggest Audis, but those are expensive. Besides trucks, what else is AWD? BMW has some, but again, expensive. You wouldn't even consider a base Impreza? My mom's got one and it's great in the snow, although it's really, really slow and pretty terrible on gas. Maybe even a Legacy?
Yes for you I would highly recommend an RS. Just make sure it has NO oil leaks AT ALL. And look it over very well. Good luck, as we both know, it is very difficult finding a reliable used Subaru for a decent price. But should not be as bad as long as it is a non turbo 2.5 version. You should be able to get a reliable RS for a decent price depending on the year. But it is a gamble for sure. Try to get one with lower miles.

My RS was an 05 and I loved that car. It was an automatic but it was actually very reliable and still had a fair amount of pep considering it was non turbo. It was around 165hp. Not fast but decent enough. I definitely prefer the NA over the Turbo by a longshot for the reliability and I honestly just don't like turbos much at all. I also prefer the 2.5 engine over the 2.0 engine by a longshot. Much more torque up front and sounds better. Plus the 2.5 is more reliable.

No I absolutely wont ever buy a Subaru EVER again. As I said, NO one around this area will work on them. If they do, it is very expensive.

Other AWD vehicles would be trucks, Ford Fusions, Dodge makes some AWD cars. Hmm just no idea what I want. I would like a small AWD sport car to replace the WRX. Just non turbo.

Last edited:
I think thats the plan, I think I want another 2004 to 2007 STI.

Definitely for an 05 or newer. The larger/stronger hubs maybe not be needed but it's nice to have them. '05 IMO is ideal as it has the larger hubs but also the more controllable DCCD of the blob generation.

Turbo Subarus can be reliable, they are just SUPER finicky with regards to any sort of modifications.

How do I sake the "I" off the thread title? :dopey:

I went a little nuts and bought a lot of Cobb things. Why Cobb? Had good experience with them when I had the STI, the products are high quality and not over the top when it comes to exhaust sound and intake. I also want to get an Accessport and the Cobb AP will work nicely with the Cobb stuff. Pictures once it all arrives! Actually the intake is already installed.

Intake
cob_701100_1

Cat back exhaust
cob_501100_1

Rear motor mount
cob_892001_1

It's a shift knob I swear! Because I wanted something with a bit more weight to it.
cob_291350bk_1

Installed all that stuff. The rear motor mount is surprisingly effective. The intake goes woosh woosh. And the shift knob is a shift knob.

The exhaust though, man, I had flashbacks to when I installed my Cobb exhaust on the STI. It was super easy to install and it actually sounds pretty good (I'll try to get video), it isn't high pitched or anything like I thought it would be. Downshifts and letting off the gas you can hear nice crackles and pops. I'm happy!

Big box
DSC_1869_zpsnm02kwsb.jpg

So shiny!
DSC_1872_zpsvvvtijhv.jpg

All set! It sticks out a lot more than the stock did, I kinda like it.
DSC_1875_zpshdavilmp.jpg

Is it ok with the power with an open diff?

I'm just curious as I've never driven a powerful FWD that didn't have one, so I don't know what they're like.

I'm just curious as I've never driven a powerful FWD that didn't have one, so I don't know what they're like.
The car isn't really powerful to be honest. Only has something like 200hp, but all the fun comes in the way the car handles and feels. I'm wondering how noticeable the LSD would be.

I drove a Corsa VXR Nurburgring in the wet/slush/snow and it still had so much traction (has a gear LSD like a Quaife). That was a 3 door Fiesta size with the same engine size and power as the FiST.

Pointless rant incoming!

On the drive in to work this morning I think I finally realized what makes the Fiesta ST feel emotionless when driving (fun, but lacking character). When you sit in the driver's seat, the only things you see is the dashboard and wheel, obviously. Well, I like seeing more, I like seeing the hood of a car when I'm driving it. The STI, you sit in the seat, not only did you get a ton of mechanical sounds, stiff clutch, bolt action shifter and large bolster seats, but you saw a hood scoop down the hood and a spoiler out back in the rear view. I felt like I was in a race car, the STI felt special. It was stupid, the extreme looks were pointless and I loved it.

The ST is doing it's job and I enjoy driving it, the exhaust gave it some character, but I want a "race car" again. I want something special and personal. That said, I can't swing another STI at this time, but I am hunting for a clean, rust free Impreza 2.5 RS. Anywhere in America. Let's do this!

I was just thinking, maybe you should change the name of this to SPhilli911's ST but then I read this and thought you should just buy an STi and leave it :lol:.

Why a 2.5 RS over an STi? We don't get the RS model here so not sure what the differences are.

I was just thinking, maybe you should change the name of this to SPhilli911's ST but then I read this and thought you should just buy an STi and leave it :lol:.

Why a 2.5 RS over an STi? We don't get the RS model here so not sure what the differences are.

We never got the GC/F WRX or STi here, nor are they legal for importation yet. (Sean if you can wait two years...) Our 2.5RS was a DOHC or SOHC 2.5 L (EJ25D or EJ251) and had larger brakes than the standard car. I'm sure it had different spring rates and sway bar sizes. Also the most beat up STi's out there are $10K+ while he should be able to get a 2.5 RS for $5K.

I also know what you mean about the view out the front. I can't stand driving B segment or smaller cars for that exact reason. It's also why I have my driver's seat in a higher position. I like being able to see everything on my car.

Latest Posts

Back