Spirit of Le Mans

• Thread starter dualshock
  • 269 comments
Dan Gurney (1967 winner) used to come off full throttle and coast several times on the Mulsanne to reduce the strain on the engine including a longer coast up to the braking zone!

I love the sand banks at key points around the circuit - just like they were in period. If anyone hasn't tried the 1967 Le Mans cars yet, I strongly recommend them with this track, also the Aston Martin DBR1/300 - I am desperately hoping that we get a period Ferrari to compete with that car.
This may be a stupid question, but, Where can I find the 67 LeMans cars?

The oldest car I've found is 1971

Random question time: just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the grass sides of the Mulsanne were paved? There was mention in the Motorsports thread about paved runoff altering the racing and it peaked my interest with the historic track coming out. Going around the kink at 230 mph with grass as your only runoff before a quick trip into the wall must have been so intense, especially at night or in the rain!

Yes! I do have all the DLC and thanks for the suggestion. The Spyder is freaking AWESOME!

Gives me the same feelings as the Lotus!

Don't forget to try the 1952 Le Mans winner - Merc 300 SL and 1959 winner - Aston Martin DBR1/300 (Shelby / Salvadori) - there is a big difference in performance between these two cars, but they can make for some good multi-class racing - for instance try using the Merc, but turn down the AI so that you are battling with the Aston's or do some longer races in the Aston and enjoy lapping the Mercs.

The Group 6 cars in the game were both Le Mans winners (Porsche 936 and Renault Alpine A442B) and are lovely on the historic layout. The 935 was also an overall winner - race this car and pick multi-class Group 6 and 5.

Glad you like the Lotus 40 and Porsche 908 - I also love these cars, but find it disappointing (immersion killer) that they are mixed in with the Ford Mark 4 and Ferrari 330 P4 as they were not bedfellows! The Lotus 40 was only used for a very brief period as in real life it was such a poor car - it was designed for lucrative races in the USA which in 1966 became the Can Am series - it should really be with other period cars such as the McLaren M1a, Lola T70 and Chaparral 2a - sadly we have just the Lotus 40 in the game.

The Porsche 908 is another odd decision from SMS - they gave us the version without lights, because it was used in daylight races in preference to the 917 when a light, nimble car was required e.g. Targa Florio and Nurburgring. Try it on the Nordschliefe and at Bannochbrae - probably the closest you can get in game to the feel of the Targa Florio. A version with lights would be a fraction less realistic for some races, but would be a lot more useful. It definitely shouldn't be in Prototype B with the Ford Mark 4 and Ferrari 330 P4 - SMS we definitely need that custom championship feature to eliminate inappropriate cars from offline races!

Don't forget to try the 1952 Le Mans winner - Merc 300 SL and 1959 winner - Aston Martin DBR1/300 (Shelby / Salvadori) - there is a big difference in performance between these two cars, but they can make for some good multi-class racing - for instance try using the Merc, but turn down the AI so that you are battling with the Aston's or do some longer races in the Aston and enjoy lapping the Mercs.

The Group 6 cars in the game were both Le Mans winners (Porsche 936 and Renault Alpine A442B) and are lovely on the historic layout. The 935 was also an overall winner - race this car and pick multi-class Group 6 and 5.

Glad you like the Lotus 40 and Porsche 908 - I also love these cars, but find it disappointing (immersion killer) that they are mixed in with the Ford Mark 4 and Ferrari 330 P4 as they were not bedfellows! The Lotus 40 was only used for a very brief period as in real life it was such a poor car - it was designed for lucrative races in the USA which in 1966 became the Can Am series - it should really be with other period cars such as the McLaren M1a, Lola T70 and Chaparral 2a - sadly we have just the Lotus 40 in the game.

The Porsche 908 is another odd decision from SMS - they gave us the version without lights, because it was used in daylight races in preference to the 917 when a light, nimble car was required e.g. Targa Florio and Nurburgring. Try it on the Nordschliefe and at Bannochbrae - probably the closest you can get in game to the feel of the Targa Florio. A version with lights would be a fraction less realistic for some races, but would be a lot more useful. It definitely shouldn't be in Prototype B with the Ford Mark 4 and Ferrari 330 P4 - SMS we definitely need that custom championship feature to eliminate inappropriate cars from offline races!
Even though I'm not very good at this game and will likely never crank the AI above 50 (and, no, I'm not even there yet) I feel like I have found my new love interest, motor sports.

It's posts like this, and others like it, which highlight a little bit about racing history, that have me completely engaged.

Thank you

What you also have to remember is that putting away wreckage is quite a recent thing! There are pictures of late 60s ferraris roaring inches past wrecked cars at 200mph. Imagine that with the confined space of the old track and at night, possibly in the wet... makes you sweat just thinking about it.

While I do appreciate the inclusion of classic Le Mans and enjoy the thrill of completing several laps in one piece, I'm actually having most fun driving the cars of this pack on the current-day Le Mans. To me the new track is just more of an involving layout and good-vibes environment, not to mention how braking for the Mulsanne chicanes is ear candy with these classic prototypes.

The year that the game recreates (1971) is the last year of this layout. The next year the new Porsche curves section that we know today was added and remained unchanged.

While I do appreciate the inclusion of classic Le Mans and enjoy the thrill of completing several laps in one piece, I'm actually having most fun driving the cars of this pack on the current-day Le Mans. To me the new track is just more of an involving layout and good-vibes environment, not to mention how braking for the Mulsanne chicanes is ear candy with these classic prototypes.
Its the opposite for me i always hated the modern track so its a dream to have this version.

Things i hate about the modern track

Mulsanne chicanes
Porsche curves
Overall i find it boring

In the last few days i think i done more laps around classic le man then if you combine the laps of every game i have ever played that has Circuit de la Sarthe.

Last edited:
Its the opposite for me i always hated the modern track so its a dream to have this version.

Things i hate about the modern track

Mulsanne chicanes
Porsche curves
Overall i find it boring

In the last few days i think i done more laps around classic le man then if you combine the laps of every game i have ever played that has Circuit de la Sarthe.

What annoys me the most about the current track is everything that happens between dunlop curve and the mulsanne straight. The dunlop chikane and the dunlop S after the bridge as well as the current run up to tertre rouge are such fun killers... its not that I am not able to drive quick through there, its just that the old layout of that track-part was so iconic... holding on to dunlop curve inches from the wall, through the bridge over the kink at full chat, braking for the esses and carefully but quick up to tertre rouge.. it was much more flowing yet much more dangerous and involving.

Last edited:

Glad to hear that. It took us a lot of time and work to do this track ;-)

And for me it's pretty much fulfilled dream. I love Le Mans movie since I was a kid.
Only thing that can trump this is driving the 917 or 512 in real life :)

It sounds like you are part of the SMS team. If so, a big thank you for such an amazing, immersive game. It is a great stress buster and my favorite "getaway"

Something about this track though, just transports me to a different time.

You should be extremely proud of that feat.

Last edited:
Vintage Prototype B
1967 Ferrari 330 P4
1967 Ford GT40 MK.IV
1965 Lotus Type 40

I did this for the first time this weekend and it's tons of fun too.

I was with Chrysler from 1978-2006 and I had completely forgotten that they were associated with the Simca name for a few years until I saw that grandstand at the finish line with the Pentastar on top of it. I need to take a test lap or two slowly around that track and look at the rest of the scenery and the signage of those times.

Although Its great addition to the classic tracks we have, I do find classic Le mans very boring and repetitive after a while, its just straights, more straights, few turns, more straights. Much prefer the challenge of the new circuit with the high speed curves and techinical chicanes (From a driving point of view).

Although Its great addition to the classic tracks we have, I do find classic Le mans very boring and repetitive after a while, its just straights, more straights, few turns, more straights. Much prefer the challenge of the new circuit with the high speed curves and techinical chicanes (From a driving point of view).
I done close to 3K miles now around vintage le man and the thrill of the mulsanne straight never gets old :)

Vintage le man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> modern le man
:)

Back