Spirit of Le Mans

• Thread starter dualshock
  • 269 comments
Although Its great addition to the classic tracks we have, I do find classic Le mans very boring and repetitive after a while, its just straights, more straights, few turns, more straights. Much prefer the challenge of the new circuit with the high speed curves and techinical chicanes (From a driving point of view).

Agree 100%!

I'm glad we have the track, but it gets so damn boring after a few laps.

I done close to 3K miles now around vintage le man and the thrill of the mulsanne straight never gets old :)

Vintage le man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> modern le man
:)

3K miles in 6 days? :eek:

Agree 100%!

I'm glad we have the track, but it gets so damn boring after a few laps.
I think it depends on the car you're driving and the difficulty of the AI.
I've currently got my AI set to 115 difficulty/100 aggression and I'm driving the 512S.
My opponents are driving Vintage Prototype A, Vintage Prototype B, and Vintage GT, which gives me the most accurate representation of what Le Mans looked like in the late 60's - early 70's.

I'm having a blast and always updating my line, breaking zones, and whatnot.
It doesn't hurt that I'm adding streaming music from the period as well.

I do definitely understand the appeal of the technical challenges of the modern track, but the classic track, with the right AI settings and car choices makes for great racing as well

Throw in a thunderstorm at night, see how boring it is then. Especially after you've had a light bump & your headlights don't work :)

I think it depends on the car you're driving and the difficulty of the AI.
I've currently got my AI set to 115 difficulty/100 aggression and I'm driving the 512S.
My opponents are driving Vintage Prototype A, Vintage Prototype B, and Vintage GT, which gives me the most accurate representation of what Le Mans looked like in the late 60's - early 70's.

I'm having a blast and always updating my line, breaking zones, and whatnot.
It doesn't hurt that I'm adding streaming music from the period as well.

I do definitely understand the appeal of the technical challenges of the modern track, but the classic track, with the right AI settings and car choices makes for great racing as well

Try the cars from GTA and GTB with your opponents in the 917's and 512's - I'm finding that very enjoyable and there is also the challenge of trying not to lose too much time while being lapped by the faster cars. Try the Merc 6.8 litre saloon and the Ferrari Daytona - drop back to last place and then work your way back through the field - I like doing this in a 30 minute race starting at 2am and with time X10, weather: clear skies (to see the stars and moon) transitioning to light cloud for dusk. Depending on AI settings the Merc can be competitive with the Porsche 911 and Daytona. With these race settings it feels almost as if I'm doing a stint and have just taken over night shift - very addictive - thank you SMS.

The only fly in the ointment for me is the number of cars without headlights - Ideally SMS will put headlights in these cars - I want to pretend to be Claude Dubois in a Ford Mustang racing on track with the 1967 Ford MK4 and Ferrari 330 P4!

This DLC was honestly great timing for me as I just purchased the season pass not too long ago, I was still trying out other dlc cars.

Between the vintage track and the modern track, put me in the group for preferring the modern version. I prefer it for having more corners to work with.

It sounds like you are part of the SMS team. If so, a big thank you for such an amazing, immersive game. It is a great stress buster and my favorite "getaway"

Something about this track though, just transports me too to a different time.

You should be extremely proud of that feat.
Does Spirit of Le Mans come with PC2 Deluxe Edition?
Yes

After returning back home from abroad two days ago, I could finally experience in the seat what I´ve been waiting for at least a decade, since my interest in Le Mans and its history started. I haven´t tried the 2016 LMP1 cars yet, cause frankly if you are a historic motor sport nut like me, it´s a bit hard to get off the drug of 1971 and onto the new stuff. I also have yet to try the Porsche 961 and 924 but I bet they are much fun. The track, especially the pit straight and dunlop curve give extremely authentic impressions (of the Film). Being THAT close to arm co, sand or walls all the time has the effect of completely re-calibrating your thoughts on driving. I like that they really concentrated on making this so much more authentic than Gran Turismo´s chicane-less version of past consoles. The only class which has authentic cars that raced together at this track in the same year is VPTA but since 32 of them isn´t the slightest bit of realistic, I always combined them with both of the vintage GT classes and sometimes VPTB to create an even field of faster and slower prototypes and faster and slower GTs. As they are from the early to mid 70s mostly, it feels real and SMS has to be credited for including so many vehicles of that certain motor sport "niche" in the first place.

I urge everyone to try those 4 classes with mixed weather on the track. the fun isn´t just to be had in the prototypes though! grab a Ferrari Daytona competizione and race against the GTs while hding from the frighteningly fast group S 5 Litre machines. Another good one is to race with group C on the track. I thught it would look stupid but for people who have seen 80s races at le mans, it looks far more familiar on that track than on the current one. And the top speed in traffic in the first few laps is pure adrenaline.

Here are my pro´s and con´s in (kind of) short:

Pro:
The track design (including off track scenery and facilities)
The sense of danger of cars and the track (it´s like learning both from scratch)
all the cars have authentic liveries and no imaginary ones
behaviour of the Group S machines does not differ from what mechanics and drivers of the time said.

Con:
The noise of the Ferraris and the Porsches of 70/71 is too similar. The 917s sound absolutely accurate but the Ferraris sound different irl.
I thought with 9 cars there would be more variety in manufacturers or classes. Group C, Group 6 or the VGTC VGTD could have done with an extra.
No period correct Pit crew working on the cars. (even the spectators are period-dressed, that was a mistake)

Last edited:
Problem with the vintage Le Mans is the mulitplayer limits. Even 32 the PC has is a bit limiting on a track like this but with only 16 on console it is a very lonely place to drive.

How do you get these older cars to turn especially in slower turns? The Porsche 917 really wants to understeer and I have to try and tap the brakes to get it to stand on it's nose more and get a little grip. The Ferrari 512 S does the same thing but not as bad as the Porsche.

How do you get these older cars to turn especially in slower turns? The Porsche 917 really wants to understeer and I have to try and tap the brakes to get it to stand on it's nose more and get a little grip. The Ferrari 512 S does the same thing but not as bad as the Porsche.
Be sure your end of break point is on the straights a couple of meters before the actual turn begins. Then slightly touch the throttle and roll the car through the corner and then full throttle. Late breaking is killing...

Its such a bummer to see how slow the 919H is compared to the Audi and the Toyota at Le Mans... i couldnt finish the race. Yeah, im not the best driver at Le Mans, but normally i win races against the AI set to 60. At Le Mans in 2016 LMP1, they destroyed me. I even set AI difficulty to 50 but i was still under the impression i was driving a LMP2. I tried to get some more speed changing the setup... but that didnt work. God, i hate it when games do this to me.

Its such a bummer to see how slow the 919H is compared to the Audi and the Toyota at Le Mans... i couldnt finish the race. Yeah, im not the best driver at Le Mans, but normally i win races against the AI set to 60. At Le Mans in 2016 LMP1, they destroyed me. I even set AI difficulty to 50 but i was still under the impression i was driving a LMP2. I tried to get some more speed changing the setup... but that didnt work. God, i hate it when games do this to me.

What setup changes did you make and what's your hybrid deployment strategy?

Be sure your end of break point is on the straights a couple of meters before the actual turn begins. Then slightly touch the throttle and roll the car through the corner and then full throttle. Late breaking is killing...

I'm good with getting it to stop and turn, even accelerate from the corner, but my god the Vintage Prototype B Ferrari is a DOG compared to the GT40.
I'd really like to be able to have a fair race against them, but I don't want to turn the AI down too much. Any thoughts on where the AI should be to make it competitive or should I just try to focus on consistent laps and going further on fuel than they do?

I know I can use less tires, so that'll help, but the speed difference is just too much to make up. It's almost 30mph overall :(

I'm good with getting it to stop and turn, even accelerate from the corner, but my god the Vintage Prototype B Ferrari is a DOG compared to the GT40.
I'd really like to be able to have a fair race against them, but I don't want to turn the AI down too much. Any thoughts on where the AI should be to make it competitive or should I just try to focus on consistent laps and going further on fuel than they do?

I know I can use less tires, so that'll help, but the speed difference is just too much to make up. It's almost 30mph overall :(

What is the AI's level ?
Cause I don't know if it's just me or a bunch of rubbish but the AI is increasingly faster until 79 of ability, and then drop when they reach 80 (I assume that it is a consequence of them adapting to the circuit) then restart being faster as you increase their ability. Has anyone seen such thing as well ?
However, there's no denying that the Ferrari 330 p4 is a bit more competitive than the Mark IV, although I've seen the Ford besting its rival at Hockenheimring classic in qualifying.

Have to check but I think my AI/Agression is at 100/100. Will do a test race with the GT40 included.

What is the AI's level ?
Cause I don't know if it's just me or a bunch of rubbish but the AI is increasingly faster until 79 of ability, and then drop when they reach 80 (I assume that it is a consequence of them adapting to the circuit) then restart being faster as you increase their ability. Has anyone seen such thing as well ?
However, there's no denying that the Ferrari 330 p4 is a bit more competitive than the Mark IV, although I've seen the Ford besting its rival at Hockenheimring classic in qualifying.

I'm running at 115 Skill / 100 Aggression. That's where I was getting a competitive race for the 512S vs Porsche (can't remember the numbers).
I thought maybe I'd get the same type of race for the Vintage Prototype B class but it seems I need to dial the AI skill down a little bit more

I'm running at 115 Skill / 100 Aggression. That's where I was getting a competitive race for the 512S vs Porsche (can't remember the numbers).
I thought maybe I'd get the same type of race for the Vintage Prototype B class but it seems I need to dial the AI skill down a little bit more

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that when you increase the AI skill level above 100 it only increases straight line speed to get to the 'impossible' lap times

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that when you increase the AI skill level above 100 it only increases straight line speed to get to the 'impossible' lap times
I believe that's correct, however at Classic Le Mans it's ALL straight lines lol!!

This pack has given me a well deserved (and much too late) appreciation for this game. Love it.

Just finished an hour custom event with multi-classes, and if I don’t feel like Erich Stahler after that, then there’s something definitely wrong with me. :)

Anyone can help me out with a driveable setup to stable out the 917 and 512 on this track?. I have lots of difficulties simply driving straight and the car over/understeers without real feedback. Tried stable and loose. Stable is my preferred one but in all honesty it still drives like ....you know what...Any help is appreciated 🙏

Latest Posts

Back