[Sport Mode] - Is it possible to block someone that I don't want to play along anymore?

• Thread starter BierPlayer
  • 39 comments
Brazil
Brazil
Hey guys,

Constantly I have to play with some folks and sometimes these guys aren't nice to play it.

Is there a way to block them so I will not participate in the same race again?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Constantly I have to play with some folks and sometimes these guys aren't nice to play it.

Have you tried blocking the users PSN? Never tried this on GTS but on previous GTs it would stop you from racing against them.

No. In GT5 & GT6, if you put someone on your PSN Block list, they could no longer enter any lobbies that you hosted. I used that function, & can attest to the fact that my lobbies got cleaner & cleaner over the years. However, in Sport Mode there is nothing implemented like this. You are forced to race with dirty drivers whether you like it or not.

I would like to see an option in GT Sport where we had the choice to enable or disable a filter to remove those on our PSN Block lists from Sport Mode races. It is one my many ideas on how to make online racing in public lobbies cleaner in racing sims on PS4.

VBR
No. In GT5 & GT6, if you put someone on your PSN Block list, they could no longer enter any lobbies that you hosted. I used that function, & can attest to the fact that my lobbies got cleaner & cleaner over the years. However, in Sport Mode there is nothing implemented like this. You are forced to race with dirty drivers whether you like it or not.

I would like to see an option in GT Sport where we had the choice to enable or disable a filter to remove those on our PSN Block lists from Sport Mode races. It is one my many ideas on how to make online racing in public lobbies cleaner in racing sims on PS4.

Do you have any official source for this information or did you try blocking someone and it didn't work?

VBR

Or there should at least be an option to leave the race without penalty if certain players are in the same race

Do you have any official source for this information or did you try blocking someone and it didn't work?

No on both accounts. I only tested it on GT5 & GT6. If you put someone on your PSN Block list, they can never enter any lobby you ran ever again. However, it didn't stop them from appearing in any public lobbies you searched for, including Quick Matches. I presume it's the same in GT Sport, but haven't tested it yet.

...I'd just block all the fast guys :lol::lol::lol:

No need to really, as they'd mostly be matched with other fast guys anyway.

Or you could just get faster and out drive the people who are bothering you...

If it’s someone you’ve raced a bunch of times, and you know they’re faster than you, and you know they’ll punt you off, then move out of their way, that’s probably not your fight anyways.

Let's say you had the whole lobby blocked upon entry to the sport race lobby. You'd see no cars and only be racing against yourself until the checkered flag. I'm sure PD have probably got that thought out already to remove any chance of cheating. So the more I think about it the more I don't see it possible.

Lobbys probably yes. Sport mode, i'm doubtful.

I've read you can purposefully disconnect and not lose DR or SR in the qualifying list screen. Could do this to back out if you see them perhaps. Or race at a different time of day.

Never tried it myself though.

Let's say you had the whole lobby blocked upon entry to the sport race lobby. You'd see no cars and only be racing against yourself until the checkered flag. I'm sure PD have probably got that thought out already to remove any chance of cheating. So the more I think about it the more I don't see it possible.

They could simply take the number of blocks against a user as a metric and then start to phase that player out of match-making with other certain users... though who knows if PSN is able to accommodate that

Why would that happen? Aliens race against Aliens, unless they are smurfing?

But anyone here will tell you that matchmaking doesn't work as well as we would all like...

I'm a low Dr A driver and I sometimes have one or two of them in my room (especially during the morning). I'm sure mid-A drivers see them more often than I do. We aren't aliens, just very good drivers. We lose just as badly to them as anyone else.

But anyone here will tell you that matchmaking doesn't work as well as we would all like...

I'm a low Dr A driver and I sometimes have one or two of them in my room (especially during the morning). I'm sure mid-A drivers see them more often than I do. We aren't aliens, just very good drivers. We lose just as badly to them as anyone else.
But again, unless your seeing the same people constantly you wouldn't be able to mass report individuals just based on their speed, unless they constantly showed up in lower rated races.

In theory if they are able to track 'blocked number' then I'm sure they can also track that persons SR rating (and how it moves) and tie them together...

They could simply take the number of blocks against a user as a metric and then start to phase that player out of match-making with other certain users... though who knows if PSN is able to accommodate that

Sounds like a can of worms to me. I don't see how PSN can restrict service unless there's a ToS breach, in which case, just report 'em.

This whole blocking users thing in Sport mode is a tricky concept full stop. In practice, it simply wouldn't match you both in the same room (with the first user being matched being the one who dictates the presence of the other). It could be that a bunch of people you're okay racing against don't have a user blocked, but you do - all that will happen is that you won't get matched in that room, that's maybe not a biggy, but from a matchmaking algorithm point of view, trying to match thousands of players, each with their own block list sounds like a bit of a mission to me... I think you'd inevitably end up with more rooms with less people in them, or a wider spectrum of Dr/Sr would have to be let in the room to keep numbers up.

Let's say you had the whole lobby blocked upon entry to the sport race lobby. You'd see no cars and only be racing against yourself until the checkered flag.

That's one way to implement blocking, but their not really being blocked from the lobby, just from you being able to see them. This is not what I meant.

What I meant was for Sport Mode to filter out people from the actual lobby itself if they are on your PSN Block list. For arguments sake, if 100 clean racers & 10 dirty racers are are entering at the same time for a race, & if those 10 dirty racers were on the PSN Block list of 50 of the clean drivers, the game would match the 50 clean drivers with each other & match the 10 dirty drivers with the other 50 clean drivers who didn't have them on their list. That way, you would only end up being matched with players who are not on your blocked lists. The more time that goes by, & the more bad drivers got blocked, the more lonely their races would become as a result. Then, clean drivers would find themselves getting matched more & more with other clean drivers, & less & less with dirty ones.

Last edited:
VBR
That's one way to implement blocking, but their not really being blocked from the lobby, just from you being able to see them. This is not what I meant.

What I meant was for Sport Mode to filter out people from the actual lobby itself if they are on your PSN Block list. For arguments sake, if 100 clean races & 10 dirty racers are are entering at the same time for a race, & if those 10 dirty racers were on the PSN Block list of 50 of the clean drivers, the game would match the 50 clean drivers with each other & match the 10 dirty drivers with the other 50 clean drivers who didn't have them on their list. That way, you would only end up being matched with players who are not on your blocked lists. The more time that goes by, & the more bad drivers got blocked, the more lonely their races would become as most clean drivers wouldn't want to race them anymore. Then, clean drivers would find themselves getting matched more & more with other clean drivers.

Well, imagine that the blocked person will run against less people or even almost alone...That would be an easy win.

Sounds like a can of worms to me. I don't see how PSN can restrict service unless there's a ToS breach, in which case, just report 'em.

This whole blocking users thing in Sport mode is a tricky concept full stop. In practice, it simply wouldn't match you both in the same room (with the first user being matched being the one who dictates the presence of the other). It could be that a bunch of people you're okay racing against don't have a user blocked, but you do - all that will happen is that you won't get matched in that room, that's maybe not a biggy, but from a matchmaking algorithm point of view, trying to match thousands of players, each with their own block list sounds like a bit of a mission to me... I think you'd inevitably end up with more rooms with less people in them, or a wider spectrum of Dr/Sr would have to be let in the room to keep numbers up.

I mean, Sony can restrict you from PSN for any number of reasons they like, I'm sure they have the legal know-how to make sure that what you've signed up for and paid for can be cut short at the drop of a hat without any repercussions.
That said, I don't see why it would be an issue, in practice only a very few number of people would actually be effected. While yeah, many Sport mode races are a bit of a mess I can't imagine that many people actually get blocked because of it... and then those people who do, get mass blocked... and even if they did, they'd (in this hypothetical system) have to then have a messy SR history so show that they where indeed, dirty mother ****ers.

What you'd probably end up with say, after 3-4 months of this magical system being in place is probably ~10-20 users struggling to find rooms to match in, while everyone else just got on with it.

Well, imagine that the blocked person will run against less people or even almost alone...That would be an easy win.

I couldn't care less whether they were winning or losing, just that the dirty ramming PoS on my PSN Block list wasn't in my race!

I mean, Sony can restrict you from PSN for any number of reasons they like, I'm sure they have the legal know-how to make sure that what you've signed up for and paid for can be cut short at the drop of a hat without any repercussions.

Yeah, breach of terms of service... however, that's a very different thing to making butt-hurt table flipping 13 year olds, who you might have brushed during an otherwise clean and fair overtake, who have lots of social media and in game friends, who can effectively dictate via collective 'protest' what experience PSN offers you, the master of your destiny.

It could only fairly prevent you from matching against the person you have blocked. It simply isn't fair to be able to restrict someone elses access in a game they paid for with a subscription they paid for... but it's very much fair for you to be able to affect what you see. It's effectively a public part of the game... it's fine in lobbies because they are privately organised.

I mean, how many ignore lists does a GTP user have to be on before their access to the site becomes limited?

The purpose of Sport Mode is to match make drivers from the same level and the same politeness. Mics are also disabled so I don't really see the point of this :confused:

Don't forget that we aren't so many playing at the same time for the same race (less and less everyday). With a feature like this it could kill the game really quickly with lobby never full...

Yeah, breach of terms of service... however, that's a very different thing to making butt-hurt table flipping 13 year olds, who you might have brushed during an otherwise clean and fair overtake, who have lots of social media and in game friends, who can effectively dictate via collective 'protest' what experience PSN offers you, the master of your destiny.

It could only fairly prevent you from matching against the person you have blocked. It simply isn't fair to be able to restrict someone elses access in a game they paid for with a subscription they paid for... but it's very much fair for you to be able to affect what you see. It's effectively a public part of the game... it's fine in lobbies because they are privately organised.

But this doesn't happen in other games, and when it does the affected person can clearly demonstrate this and have restrictions removed... as someone who plays online competitive games with ban features and even when people have been unjustly banned, it's done by a person/admin and they can be lifted... but it still only really affects a small number of people.

Think about how the GTA online system works, be a dick and you only play with other dicks... seems to work ok, and that's a game you pay for and then is choc-full of micro-transaction fun

I mean, how many ignore lists does a GTP user have to be on before their access to the site becomes limited?
Wouldn't they just be banned before that ever happened? Comparing GTP's moderation to the automated policing of GT Sport is a little meaningless

But this doesn't happen in other games, and when it does the affected person can clearly demonstrate this and have restrictions removed... as someone who plays online competitive games with ban features and even when people have been unjustly banned, it's done by a person/admin and they can be lifted... but it still only really affects a small number of people.

Think about how the GTA online system works, be a dick and you only play with other dicks... seems to work ok, and that's a game you pay for and then is choc-full of micro-transaction fun

To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue how other games handle it, especially not GTA:embarrassed:.. the franchise, and possible R*, are dead to me! But to be honest, the fact that your public opponents could have an (initially) unmoderated easy option to affect my performance in a game would be yet another reason for me to avoid online gaming.

Wouldn't they just be banned before that ever happened? Comparing GTP's moderation to the automated policing of GT Sport is a little meaningless

Why would they be banned? Me choosing to ignore someone means I get to not see what they post, it doesn't mean they've breached the AUP and had a moderation decision against them. It's the same premise, If I decide I don't want to play someone, that's down to me and my match-making is narrowed, if they break the public rules, they get removed from the service, that's all fair. A player blocking another player is NOT the same as that player having breached the public rules.

Why would they be banned? Me choosing to ignore someone means I get to not see what they post, it doesn't mean they've breached the AUP and had a moderation decision against them. It's the same premise, If I decide I don't want to play someone, that's down to me and my match-making is narrowed, if they break the public rules, they get removed from the service, that's all fair. A player blocking another player is NOT the same as that player having breached the public rules.

Except that it wouldn’t need to be automated, if the system was tied to someone’s SR rating and volatility and then admins decided what to do, then there wouldn’t be an issue.
It would be users flagging ****** players, the same way they flag cheaters or horrible people that spam racist etc abuse at people online.

With this example if you ignored someone, you would be limiting their access to your responses, if a large number of people did that it would render the forum a blog they could read but not interact with.
And if there only intent was to ruin other people’s time on the forum, then they’d probably be removed. Problem with GT-S is that it isn’t policed in anything like the same was as GTP. I don’t really see the comparison. Seems more sensible to compare how other games deal with people who cheat/glitch the system or are unpleasant

Back