Sprite's Photo Thread

• Thread starter Sprite
  • 126 comments
New from my trip to Leeds yesterday. It was sunny and warm whoohoo!

Cheers. I'm finding it hard to get good photos of people. I chicken out once I've spotted a shot.

You're just like me, then. And I love candid street photography.

We must ask F1GTR for some tips. :lol:

You're just like me, then. And I love candid street photography.

We must ask F1GTR for some tips. :lol:

I think I need advise.

I had a perfect shot of a young women with punk style hair smoking a cigarette but she glared at me so I ran away. :scared:

Self Portrait.
8636019494_fbec924eb6.jpg

After taking shots for the Comp this week I thought I'd share the others to come out of the shoot. Enjoy.

Pot Pig

Fuji X-E1 ~ Pentax 50mm ~ F2.8 ~ 1/125 ~ ISO500

Some more from my walk about Leeds a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Nice b&w's, especially the flower shot. 👍

Thanks, I bought the Nik software bundle a couple of days ago and I've been using Siver FX to do my B&W conversions its great.

Edit...

Out today, decided to take a trip to town and visit the Hepworth Gallery. I will have to go back again as I didn't take any images inside.

Enjoy (Sorry about the HDR as I know some people don't like them)

Last edited:
That vertical panorama is very interesting. The idea is original and post-processing a cool one. It really works. 👍

Also, that fourth shot from the big post (the tree one) would make a great photo without the HDR look. :P

Oi, this is really cool. I like the grain :0

That vertical panorama is very interesting. The idea is original and post-processing a cool one. It really works. 👍

Also, that fourth shot from the big post (the tree one) would make a great photo without the HDR look. :P

Cano 👍 Snapseed is a nice tool if you want do subtle edits or crazy over-the-top stuff.

Thanks DM, the HDR is a bit too over done on the tree, I also want to reframe the crop. I need to spend a little more time editing out another tree to the left of the frame.

I decided to take the camera with me shopping today, just in case I saw something interesting. I decided to test my lust to be totally manual and only take my 28mm F2.8 manual lens with me...

What a mistake. I didn't take many shots anyway, but I didn't have many keepers due to the miss focusing. I still need practice.

Here are two that seemed ok.

Those look good. 👍

I tried looking a bit and it doesn't look like you have much aid when trying to manually focus other than zooming in on the preview, focusing and then taking the picture. If I'm not sure I'll often literally measure it out and take a gander at the DOF chart... Time consuming but beats wasting exposures when shooting on film. :dunce:

Those look good. 👍

I tried looking a bit and it doesn't look like you have much aid when trying to manually focus other than zooming in on the preview, focusing and then taking the picture. If I'm not sure I'll often literally measure it out and take a gander at the DOF chart... Time consuming but beats wasting exposures when shooting on film. :dunce:

Cheers,

From what I've been reading a lot of people are stepping the lens to something like F5.6 or higher so its easier to focus then stepping back to a lower apature, problem is I think this lens has a shift in the focus.

It wasn't a total loss because I learnt something about myself and my kit. I've always got room for improvement. I have to say though, these two shots were at F5.6 I think most of my soft shots came just from miss focusing or correct focus and me moving backward/forward shifting the focus plane.

Last edited:
View From A Train At Speed

Taken using an iPhone 5 and the SlowShutter app. 15sec exposure with a sensitivity set at 1/64.

Cheers,

From what I've been reading a lot of people are stepping the lens to something like F5.6 or higher so its easier to focus then stepping back to a lower apature, problem is I think this lens has a shift in the focus.

It wasn't a total loss because I learnt something about myself and my kit. I've always got room for improvement. I have to say though, these two shots were at F5.6 I think most of my soft shots came just from miss focusing or correct focus and me moving backward/forward shifting the focus plane.

Are you switching the body itself to MF mode? If you do, by pressing the jog dial on the back you can get a 3x/10x magnification of the point of focus. I also just shoot RAW but set the picture style to B/W Yellow filter, makes things a lot easier to focus since the view on the LCD is black and white (I used a 35/2 UC-Hex until I bought the Fuji 35/1.4).

Are you switching the body itself to MF mode? If you do, by pressing the jog dial on the back you can get a 3x/10x magnification of the point of focus. I also just shoot RAW but set the picture style to B/W Yellow filter, makes things a lot easier to focus since the view on the LCD is black and white (I used a 35/2 UC-Hex until I bought the Fuji 35/1.4).

Thanks for the input. I use the magnification through the EVF and it helps. The body is manual and shoot without lens is selected. I've actually not shot in B&W yet with the Fuji. I tend to shoot in colour and edit in Silver FX once back at the desk. I'll try what you suggest. Cheers.

@F1GTR

I took your advice and switched to B&W with Yellow filter and it was easier to get a better focus because it's easier to see the details because of the contrast. Thanks for the tip.

Below the first set of pics are with the same 28mm Chinon lens manually focused.

These last two were taken using the 18-55mm

First shot's interesting. What is that?

It's where two pieces of glass meet in my greenhouse. Moisture gathers there and goes mouldy.

Some new shots from todays walk, nothing special.

Last edited:
Took a trip to Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Because the sun was out the park was rammed full of people and their kids. I didn't want this trip to become a street or people exercise so it was tricky waiting for people to move out of the way so I could get the shot I wanted. It such a stunning place and I only live a stones throw away. I need to get back when there are less people.

goose by GTP_Sprite, on Flickr

goose 003 by GTP_Sprite, on Flickr

goose 002 by GTP_Sprite, on Flickr

This next shot was taken from my back garden of a Black Bird singing on the roof.

That seems like a great place. At least it gave you some nice variety of shots.

I really like the doors' shots - all of them - and the backlit green leaves. But really, they're all really pretty and work great as a whole.

Back