Standard models=gt4 models?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jorsne
  • 26 comments
  • 2,153 views
Messages
185
Messages
Jorsne
When I look at some of the standard model cars, it really looks like ps2 graphics.
For example the NOMAD Diablos front looks awful. So are they just copied from gt4 and put into gt5?
 
Simple answer, yes. I think the Diablo was actually taken from GT3, since it was not in GT4. It does look pretty terrible, although some standards are not all that bad.
 
A few of them are new like the RX8 LMS and Audi R8 LMS but the majority are ripped from GT4
 
I think they went through some kind of upscaling process but basically yeah ported models all the way baby!
 
Most of the standard models do look like GT4 slightly upscaled and some look like gt3 or gt2. Some standards look very close to premium just without the interior and super details. I am sure this has been discussed many times before.
 
AFAIK all the standards come from either GT3, GT4 or GTPSP, with very few exceptions (like the '10 Jag you win in the TGTT Intermediate.)

Please stop saying some models come from GT2, just play GT2 for 5 minutes and you will see that even the worst of standards arent as low res as that.

A few of them are new like the RX8 LMS and Audi R8 LMS but the majority are ripped from GT4
The R8 LMS actually is from GTPSP, while the RX-8, if its the one I think it is (the orange and green one, with a livery very similar to the 787b) it was in GT4.
 
yeah, most cars seem to be from GT4,but the GTPSP cars seem to look more upscaled it seems, like the Bugatti Veyron or Jaguar XFR almost look premium.

The Nomad Diablo however is from GT3 & dosent look too great, but the worst looking standard has to be the 01' Impreza WRX STI Super Touring Car, one of my favorite cars, but looks absolutely horrendous!:yuck:
 
This explains why my Honda TAKATA DOME NSX (JGTC) '03 makes me vomit in my mouth every time I watch replay.
 
I remember being amazed at GT3 and Gt4s graphics, the RuFs with some chrome 5 star wheels, they were beautiful. I think I would remember huge jaggy fender wells, and octagon like round headlights. Is it possible PD imported them but upscaled them with less polygons?
 
I thought they were directly taken from GTPSP, which took most of the cars in turn from GT4.
 
They don't look great but there are some good ones, most aren't very high quality but I don't find any less driving enjoyment from Standards. I'm even fine with no interior.

Not being able to toggle the lights irks me though.
 
Yer, some don't look that great
but at the end of the day id rather have a bucketload of cars and not all being premium than vice versa
 
Seriously??

It's not like you can really see the difference when you go flying past at 300 kmh anyways, so having premiums is kind of pointless
 
I remember being amazed at GT3 and Gt4s graphics, the RuFs with some chrome 5 star wheels, they were beautiful. I think I would remember huge jaggy fender wells, and octagon like round headlights. Is it possible PD imported them but upscaled them with less polygons?

If you played GT4 on a standard def TV (what it was made for) then the car models & all the graphics look great. Play GT4 on a HDTV and it's a completely different story. Hence the reason for the upscaled GT4 modelled standards looking naff too. Most of them anyway, not all, as people have already said.
 
Ronin_Kurenai
If you played GT4 on a standard def TV (what it was made for) then the car models & all the graphics look great. Play GT4 on a HDTV and it's a completely different story. Hence the reason for the upscaled GT4 modelled standards looking naff too. Most of them anyway, not all, as people have already said.

Yea you can REALLY notice a difference with a HDTV
 
If you played GT4 on a standard def TV (what it was made for) then the car models & all the graphics look great. Play GT4 on a HDTV and it's a completely different story. Hence the reason for the upscaled GT4 modelled standards looking naff too. Most of them anyway, not all, as people have already said.

funny how that works eh haha, try playing it at 480p and then youll see what it would look like
 
As an owner of a tiny standard definition TV, and as a person who doesn't really care about the level of detail, I personally think the standard cars are fine. Yes, there are some terrible models like the Nomad Diablo and Impreza Super Touring Car, but then some, such as the XFR and Ford GT (No Stripe) '05 look gorgeous.

Besides, the engine sounds have been improved, and they share the same physics engine as premium models, so as a lover of the bumper cam, I can't tell the difference for all intensive purposes. In fact, I spend the vast majority of my time in GT5 driving standard cars.
 
It's not like you can really see the difference when you go flying past at 300 kmh anyways, so having premiums is kind of pointless

Yeah, too bad you have to slow down for these things called turns. And even at high speed some of them still look terrible. It doesn't bother me much because I rarely use standards, but in a game that prides itself on amazing graphics it really is kind of pathetic. They could have cut half of the standard models and used the extra space on the disc to make the others half decent, but they couldn't be bothered to sacrifice their all important car count.
 
They could have cut half of the standard models and used the extra space on the disc to make the others half decent, but they couldn't be bothered to sacrifice their all important car count.

On the contrary, PD made this same mistake with GT3. Every car model had to be redesigned for the transition from PS1 to PS2 and obviously the technology wasn't completely able to do it yet. So we went from 600+ cars in GT2, to 200 cars in GT3.

That's unavoidable, but we as gamers want to have all the cars from previous games. So PD made a very smart move, and improved all they could for the next transition from PS2 to PS3, giving us 200 premium cars (like GT3) but they knew from their previous experience that this just wouldn't be enough. So they ported the other 800 from GT4 and GT PSP.

This isn't a case of "PD couldn't be bothered" but more a case of the limits of time and technology. In this sense, you should think of the standard cars as 800 bonus cars, not a stupid programming decision.
 
This isn't a case of "PD couldn't be bothered" but more a case of the limits of time and technology. In this sense, you should think of the standard cars as 800 bonus cars, not a stupid programming decision.

I believe that after 6 years that this would not be an issue., i paid my 60 retail dollars and i as everyone else has been done injustice by porting over cars instead of upgrading them to new hieghts as they did with premium. Its descrimination, and i feel that premuim cars (that contain some stupid civics)get to sit on the front of the bus whilst the standard cars(people who enjoy old vipers and beautiful muscle cars of the past) are on the backburner. LAZY Bastards at PD and i wish ppl would get off thier nutz and stop defending em.
 
Last edited:
No, they are not lazy. It takes up to 6 months of painstaking work to create just one premium car. So in actual fact PD have cut their development time by 94 years, which seems pretty good to me.

As for injustice, well we knew and accepted the whole 'standard vs premium' scenario waayy before the game was even released. We were all expecting the standard models to be poor efforts, but if you remember the Standard Cars Trailer issued by PD they didn't look half bad. On release too, we found the standard cars to be better than expected. There is a lot of content in this game, and to me, it's been 6 years well spent when you think just how much has been done. Whether all the little things have been accounted for is a different matter, but in my book it's still a good effort.
 
You should understand that PD takes an ridiculously long time to model a car, like 6 months. I don't know if its the PS3 being hard to program for, or they are really slow workers, or they are putting so much detail in the model its overkill. Probably a combination of those.

I know its hard to believe in 2011 that PD still can't provide us with an up to date car list, being online and having the possibility of DLC, but thats just PD. You sound fed up like me so just stop playing. Maybe the itch to play will bite again another day.....I hope.👍
 
On release too, we found the standard cars to be better than expected.

We did? Must have a different copy of the game than me then, they look like **** on mine
 
I think that the Cizeta V16T looks pretty good for being a standard. But I must say that the Ford GT40 Race Car looks truly awful. It looks almost like a GT2/3 car. But I don't really care. Sure, I drive plenty of standards, but I'm not annoyed but the lack of cockpit view. I drive with the bumper or "full" view most of the times.
 
No, they are not lazy. It takes up to 6 months of painstaking work to create just one premium car.
PD/Kaz said that... he said a lot of the other stuff as well, which is turned to be lies. So i wouldn't believe to that now, after we actually got the game.

Some of standards looks ok tho. Furai, Veyron.. a few others. If they all were like that...
 
Back