"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
After experiencing the new physics in GT6, I've changed my mind about Standards in GT7. I'd love to enjoy all 1200 cars over again, plus new ones, with even more realistic physics on PS4. I'm sure some here will choke when they read this, but oh well.

You gonna petition them to bring back PS1 models as well? Lots of cars there that we don't have in game.

At what point for you does the graphical difference become large enough that you would say "no thanks, this is spoiling the experience for me"? Because there has to be one, I can't imagine anyone being content with driving around white cubes with accurate physics data. Somewhere between that and a premium car is the line where you say "enough".

Mine is obviously above standard cars. I'm interested where it is for you.

What makes you think they're lazy?

What makes you think they're not lazy? Including 2001 models in a 2013 game is pretty lazy...

What makes it lazy?

What makes reusing assets from 12 years ago on the previous platform to boost the car count (in some cases artificially since it simply introduces duplicates)?

If I look at a dictionary, it says of the word lazy:

-unwilling to work or use energy.
-characterized by lack of effort or activity.
-showing a lack of care.

The standards require far less work, effort, energy and activity than premiums. In many cases where the car has been copied without any updates at all it requires the bare minimum of work and energy.

How long can they continue handing in the same homework? It's nice that they reworked some of the standards, but they still took far less work than a premium, and there's still the problem of horrendous number inflation thanks to duplicates.

Had they culled the standard cars to a reasonable selection and worked on bring those cars up to the semi-premium stage I'd have said that's clever use of resources. The fact that duplicates and untouched cars remain means I think it's lazy.

What makes reusing assets from 12 years ago on the previous platform to boost the car count (in some cases artificially since it simply introduces duplicates)?

As if boosting the car count would be the only reason.

-unwilling to work or use energy.
-characterized by lack of effort or activity.
-showing a lack of care.

The standards require far less work, effort, energy and activity than premiums. In many cases where the car has been copied without any updates at all it requires the bare minimum of work and energy.

So they take the time they "saved" on taking older models to just sit around and do nothing? If they did, that would be lazy. If they don't, the only other option would be to not include those cars at all, and how exactly would that be a less lazy approach?

How long can they continue handing in the same homework? It's nice that they reworked some of the standards, but they still took far less work than a premium, and there's still the problem of horrendous number inflation thanks to duplicates.

One standard upgrade probably takes a lot less time than building one premium car, but they're not just making one of each and then they're done for the day. Upgrading all standard cars is a rather big job and once they're done with one they move on to the next.

Is it a bad decision and would you rather see them all working on new premiums? Maybe.
Does it make them lazy? No. It's not lazy to work on the wrong stuff.

Had they culled the standard cars to a reasonable selection and worked on bring those cars up to the semi-premium stage I'd have said that's clever use of resources. The fact that duplicates and untouched cars remain means I think it's lazy.

Lazy is not the opposite of clever.

I use the IROC-Z concept in the game 89% of the time and in third person it looks better then the Forza 4 model, so if cockpit and up close shots is all you care about, give real life a shot.

Circuit-de-la-Sarthe-2005_19.gif
Fuji-Speedway-F_20.gif

As if boosting the car count would be the only reason.

Er, why else do you add more cars if not to increase car count?

Lazy is not the opposite of clever.

I didn't say that it was. Culling standards to a reasonable group and working on them is not the opposite of what they did either.

Because he states the obvious, that 2001 assets in a 2013 game is pretty lazy and they could have gone with a better approach instead?
Better approach... Like what? Like removing all standard cars for the sake of only having premium high quality cars? Do you really want less than 500 cars over 1200 cars? Hell no. Only graphics fanatics would like that.

Because he states the obvious, that 2001 assets in a 2013 game is pretty lazy and they could have gone with a better approach instead?
Better approach... Like what? Like removing all standard cars for the sake of only having premium high quality cars? Do you really want less than 500 cars over 1200 cars? Hell no. Only graphics fanatics would like that.
Exactly. Who wants cars that have less than 12HP other than to become collectors? Why should the game have DTM cars from ~2001 when they have no purpose in game and they could have some of the latest new ones which are far better?

Might as well start adding 8bit cars then as well as the 600 ones from the PS1 since the only thing that matters is the count.

IWE
GT wouldn't be worth buying with just latest cars and some classic supercars. Supercars you have in every car game and most of latest street/sports cars are just boring.

So, what makes the latest PS3 game worth buying are the PS2 assets? Am I the only one that finds something very wrong with that? Why not just get GT4 instead?

Exactly. Who wants cars that have less than 12HP other than to become collectors? Why should the game have DTM cars from ~2001 when they have no purpose in game and they could have some of the latest new ones which are far better?
The newer DTM cars are far better? Well I think that's debatable. I mean newer doesn't mean better/faster.
For example, I think it's pretty clear that the newer Le Mans prototypes like the Audi R18 are clearly slower than the old 90's Le Mans prototypes.
Might as well start adding 8bit cars then as well as the 600 ones from the PS1 since the only thing that matters is the count.
The best thing is to do what they're doing... keeping all the good cars and trying to improve them.
I used soooo many standard cars in GT5 because they were great to drive and fast. It would be pretty bad if they removed them graphics-wise. And In GT6 I still use them because of the same.
I don't think you get the point... It's not about having the highest car count. It's about keeping all the good cars to drive from the past and from the previous games, while adding new good cars at the same time. It should never be bad to have as many good cars as possible! You don't have to buy them if you dont want to.

Take a look at this car for example, it's the Honda S800. You may see it and think... its an old bad looking standard car... However it's great to drive and very fast within the 350PP range! Try it. I love that it's still in GT6 even if it's standard.
559.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you get the point... It's not about having the highest car count. It's about keeping all the good cars to drive from the past and from the previous games.

But at some point you have to stop. You can't go bringing PS1 cars on a PS4 game, there needs to be a level of consistency. If you want to enjoy the content of older games, that's why they still exist. You can't keep holding new games back forever for the sake of some ancient assets, there won't be any progress like that, you have to let go at some point.

But at some point you have to stop. You can't go bringing PS1 cars on a PS4 game, there needs to be a level of consistency. If you want to enjoy the content of older games, that's why they still exist. You can't keep holding new games back forever for the sake of some ancient assets, there won't be any progress like that, you have to let go at some point.
I think you still don't get it... They are not "PS1 cars", they are historic cars from real life.

The newer DTM cars are far better? Well I think that's debatable. I mean newer doesn't mean better/faster.
For example, I think it's pretty clear that the newer Le Mans prototypes like the Audi R18 are clearly slower than the old 90's Le Mans prototypes.
If you want my opinion, clearly most of the standards and a few premium cars have no purpose in game. GT has old Group B, Group C, old LeMans, Prototypes and some of the newest LMP cars but yet, they have no events for them in game that's why everyone just keeps saying that it's better to get rid of the standards. Tell me exactly who used these cars in GT6: Volkswagen Schwimmwagen Typ 166, Kubelwagen Typ 82, Volkswagen Samabus Typ2 (T1).

If you want my opinion, clearly most of the standards and a few premium cars have no purpose in game. GT has old Group B, Group C, old LeMans, Prototypes and some of the newest LMP cars but yet, they have no events for them in game that's why everyone just keeps saying that it's better to get rid of the standards.
What? :boggled:
Never heard of the online mode?? All cars can have a purpose in this game as long as they're fast/good to drive.

It's not holding the game back. Would you really forgo 800+ perfectly fine cars just because they don't look incredible?

What? :boggled:
Never heard of the online mode?? All cars can have a purpose in this game as long as they're fast/good to drive.
I was talking mainly about the career mode but oh well...Tell me exactly who used these cars in GT6: Volkswagen Schwimmwagen Typ 166, Kubelwagen Typ 82, Volkswagen Samabus Typ2 (T1).

You know what, I really don't get it and probably never will. :banghead:
Maybe you don't like historic/old cars and you just want new cars ;) but a lot of people like older/classic cars me included :D
I was talking mainly about the career mode but oh well...Tell me exactly who used these cars in GT6: Volkswagen Schwimmwagen Typ 166, Kubelwagen Typ 82, Volkswagen Samabus Typ2 (T1).
Lol well yeah, there are some useless cars for racing, but we still made some races with those WWII cars, it was stupid but fun :dopey:
There are some "exhibition cars" in GT that should only be meant to drive/test but not to race I suppose, like these war cars you said and also those very old/slow cars like the Citroen 2CV, the Beetle, the Subaru 360...

It's not holding the game back. Would you really forgo 800+ perfectly fine cars just because they don't look incredible?

Incredible? Most of them don't even look passable. I wouldn't really mind if there was an option to disable them from the game and never see them again but having them next to premiums on replays and the current joke the Nissan, Honda and Mazda dealerships are is very close to unacceptable for my standards.

Maybe you don't like historic/old cars and you just want new cars ;) but a lot of people like older/classic cars me included :D

I'm starting to think that you are the one that doesn't get it, at all.

My bets for GT7 are for all standards to become semi-premium, i.e RUFs in GT6, and then some will be made full premium in updates.

It's you who is saying that all standards are from PS1, which is rubbish and you know it.

Incredible? Most of them don't even look passable. I wouldn't really mind if there was an option to disable them from the game and never see them again but having them next to premiums on replays and the current joke the Nissan, Honda and Mazda dealerships are is very close to unacceptable for my standards.

Honestly I dont understand you. What do you want exactly?
What do you appreciate most from GT, the graphics or the gameplay?
You can still drive and tune the standards perfectly well. Yeah it would be cool if they were all premium, but they aren't because there are soooo many cars to and to model a highly detailed premium takes time. Therefore standards are better than nothing.

Back