"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
Why is it that the ARCOR logo is allowed on the Opel/Vauxhall touring cars but not in the MB CLK Touring Car?

Good question. It appears that both the "ARCOR" and "mannesmann" logos were on it in GT4. Besides, the "D2" is still there, and all three brands are/were under the same company. Perhaps the rights for PD to use the brand were lost when Vodafone took Mannesmann over, but that still doesn't explain why the Opel & Vauxhall Astras retained the Arcor and Mannesmann logos.

prowler

GT5
vpif.jpg

GT6
35d3.jpg

bicz.jpg

zk09.jpg

You can change brakes for a better graphic result

vu7u.jpg

jpxc.jpg

f7sp.jpg

oe29.jpg

bonus

qux1.jpg

aqpt.jpg

Last edited:
You gonna petition them to bring back PS1 models as well? Lots of cars there that we don't have in game.
Yes, exactly. Tracks too! I've only been requesting this for years. :D

At what point for you does the graphical difference become large enough that you would say "no thanks, this is spoiling the experience for me"? Because there has to be one, I can't imagine anyone being content with driving around white cubes with accurate physics data. Somewhere between that and a premium car is the line where you say "enough".

Mine is obviously above standard cars. I'm interested where it is for you.
I suppose the limit is the Opel Speedster from GT5. Fortunately, the modeling team hasn't made white cubes yet. ;) But as the yaysayers have been saying, I'd rather have cars to drive than not have cars to drive. I know that some of you guys think the right move is what we got in GT3 and Forza 5, but I hated the small car and track list in GT3. And Forza 5 doesn't sound like a huge improvement over 4.

Why should the game have DTM cars from ~2001 when they have no purpose in game and they could have some of the latest new ones which are far better?
Why do you want to get rid of cars? Models don't magically appear when you dump cars from a list. GT3 and Forza 5 ring any bells?

I suppose the limit is the Opel Speedster from GT5. Fortunately, the modeling team hasn't made white cubes yet. ;) But as the yaysayers have been saying, I'd rather have cars to drive than not have cars to drive. I know that some of you guys think the right move is what we got in GT3 and Forza 5, but I hated the small car and track list in GT3. And Forza 5 doesn't sound like a huge improvement over 4.

Fair enough.

I think if GT5 had been a huge stack of cars at the semi-premium level (ie. polished standards), I could have seen the reasoning for that and agreed with it. There's something to be said for having a wide selection.

I guess I mostly don't like the range of quality. PD wants to have the best looking cars AND the most. And it just doesn't work like that. And when they're sat side by side, it's visually jarring.

I don't reckon the average car in something like Forza Horizon is substantially different to a semi-standard. But it looks OK because they're all like that, and my brain just sort of rolls with it. But playing GT every now and then one of the bad standards rolls into view and my brain goes "what on earth is that LUMP?" Distracting.

It's hard to tell without actually playing said games, but I think I'd prefer either a game of 500 premiums, or a game of 2000 (random number I plucked out of mid-air, but roll with me) semi-premiums. The whole 1200 but it's a mix from HQ premium to brought-to-you-direct-from-GT3 thing really messes with me.

I honestly have no problem with standard cars as long as they drive great and don't look like an exact cube. Although, I do really hope PD tries to improve the rest of the standards like they did with the one's so far. I can't stop starring at my Nissan R390 or Ruf RGT, they've become even more of a delight than in GT5 and I would love to have that feeling on some more standards in the game such as the GC8 Impreza and the EP Honda Civic Type Rs.

Although, if PD did managed to just model another 100 premium cars for GT6 and we ended up with over 500 cars as an alternative to what we have now; I would be fine with that too. As long as they would've chosen wisely. Anyway, that's just my opinion I wanted to throw in.

Since I'm still in the mood to talk standards though, I found something odd about the Nissan R390 that I've been driving. You know how almost every standard car has a dark cockpit view? Well, there's something slightly different about the R390, there's bits of the cockpit view that are red such as where the dashboard would be and the headrests of the seats. Why is that? Just some glitch or what?

The GT5 picture is after the interior update! the new interior in GT5 is visible only with cockpit view, in other views and photomode there are still the old-horrible interiors
I remember the Suzuki GSX-R/4 looking just as bad. Has it also been update?

Then what is doing it? Because clearly the proof is in your own photos, you can see door seems and trunk lids and front bumpers. Unless your GT5 pictures are over exposed and the GT6 ones are looking to do more than they actually are. Which is no what you seem to be saying, then how do we know they're exactly as good as depicted here without going and looking ourselves?
Ok, I'll try to explain.
This is Nissan falken☆gtr race car '04 it's Standard in GT5 and it's Standard in GT6 (only tires updated). On this shots (GT5 comes first) you can see different lighting, but it does not help car look any better or refine.
Falken_Back.jpg

Falken_Side.jpg

Falken_Front.jpg

This is Nissan Amuse carbon R (R34) '04 it's Standard in GT5 and it's version in GT6 have minor mesh treatment. On this shots (GT5 comes first) GT5 Carbon R and its GT6 version looks different. Lighting and reflection on the front of the GT6 version of car goes more smoothly. From a distance it's really hard to see the mesh treatment, but it's clear that the lighting system works more efficiently.
Asume_Side.jpg

Asume_Front.jpg

Here you can see red guidelines to find a difference between GT5 and GT6 version.
Asume_Front_1to1_011.jpg

Asume_Side_1to1_011.jpg

My point is, mesh treatment is what is do most of work, and mesh treatment is what helps lighting system in GT6 work more efficiently. Without mesh treatment new lighting system doesn't help cars look better.

Last edited:
After some hard work over the last few days, my “Complete GT6 Car List” project is finished.
It includes Premium, Semi-Premium and Standard Cars differentiation.

You can find it in the thread called:
The Complete GT6 Car List (Including Premium, Semi-Premium and Standard Cars)

Here is an image preview of the 1st page of the list, for you to get an idea...

upload_2013-12-29_13-0-26.jpeg

:cheers: Have fun everybody...

Ok, I'll try to explain.
This is Nissan falken☆gtr race car '04 it's Standard in GT5 and it's Standard in GT6 (only tires updated). On this shots (GT5 comes first) you can see different lighting, but it does not help car look any better or refine.
View attachment 93554
View attachment 93556
View attachment 93555
This is Nissan Amuse carbon R (R34) '04 it's Standard in GT5 and it's version in GT6 have minor mesh treatment. On this shots (GT5 comes first) GT5 Carbon R and its GT6 version looks different. Lighting and reflection on the front of the GT6 version of car goes more smoothly. From a distance it's really hard to see the mesh treatment, but it's clear that the lighting system works more efficiently.
View attachment 93558
View attachment 93552
Here you can see red guidelines to find a difference between GT5 and GT6 version.
View attachment 93551
View attachment 93553
My point is, mesh treatment is what is do most of work, and mesh treatment is what helps lighting system in GT6 work more efficiently. Without mesh treatment new lighting system doesn't help cars look better.
Clearly you still have misunderstood, I never said anything about them not including mesh or the lighting system being the single cure. I talked about reworked textures, meshes, and/or polygons being added. All were phrases I used, go back and read my posts and you'll see I said that. What I was more so pointing at is that it doesn't take many, nor are many used to enhance the car and make it look as if tons of time was spent on them.

Clearly you still have misunderstood, I never said anything about them not including mesh or the lighting system being the single cure. I talked about reworked textures, meshes, and/or polygons being added. All were phrases I used, go back and read my posts and you'll see I said that. What I was more so pointing at is that it doesn't take many, nor are many used to enhance the car and make it look as if tons of time was spent on them.
Your post:
Still looks awful, you can tell the new lighting system is what is doing most of the work, there is some mesh treatment to it possibly but doesn't look like it all that much.
It means you'r sure about lighting is doing most of work and you said possibly to mesh treatment.
Your next post:
The lighting system being changed helps cars look better without and real adjusting even if some polygons are added that isn't enough to bring it to PD premium classification.
Same. You'r not sure about polygons but sure about lighting.
No doubt you said mesh treatment is possibly, but when I read your post it's more like it's all about lighting because you'r sure about it.
My point is, new lighting system helps cars look better with mesh treatment only.
In any case, if you agree with my point, I think there is no need to discuss this any more. I would like to spend more time on the comparative pictures.

Your post:
Still looks awful, you can tell the new lighting system is what is doing most of the work, there is some mesh treatment to it possibly but doesn't look like it all that much.
It means you'r sure about lighting is doing most of work and you said possibly to mesh treatment.

No it doesn't, it's just me saying that there is some mesh to it, the possibly is there just in case I'm wrong because it could be that textures along trunk lids/doors/front hood were worked on instead of a full mesh. One may be quicker than the other since the lighting does help if you think so or not. Secondly I still don't see where I fully dismiss textures and meshes as you've claimed.

Your next post:
The lighting system being changed helps cars look better without and real adjusting even if some polygons are added that isn't enough to bring it to PD premium classification.
Same. You'r not sure about polygons but sure about lighting.

Once again no it doesn't, I'm sure polygons were added but once again it is just me saying that it still isn't enough to be premium, the entire car needs to be redone for that. They aren't redoing entire cars for GT6 as far as we've seen yet.

No doubt you said mesh treatment is possibly, but when I read your post it's more like it's all about lighting because you'r sure about it.
My point is, new lighting system helps cars look better with mesh treatment only.
In any case, if you agree with my point, I think there is no need to discuss this any more. I would like to spend more time on the comparative pictures.

I'm not sure about any of this because I don't work for PD, I'm gleaming from experience, what has been told to us in media and so on. I'm not some GT loyalist anymore nor have been for years and am calling it like I see it. Which is too few cars were given treatment and many more fall to the wayside.

And my point is you still have yet to show me say with absolution that the lighting system is the sole cause for it looking better, by changing the lighting you can trick users into seeing something better than what it actually is, it's very possible that with other additions this is what PD are doing.

No it doesn't, it's just me saying that there is some mesh to it, the possibly is there just in case I'm wrong because it could be that textures along trunk lids/doors/front hood were worked on instead of a full mesh. One may be quicker than the other since the lighting does help if you think so or not. Secondly I still don't see where I fully dismiss textures and meshes as you've claimed.

Once again no it doesn't, I'm sure polygons were added but once again it is just me saying that it still isn't enough to be premium, the entire car needs to be redone for that. They aren't redoing entire cars for GT6 as far as we've seen yet.

I'm not sure about any of this because I don't work for PD, I'm gleaming from experience, what has been told to us in media and so on. I'm not some GT loyalist anymore nor have been for years and am calling it like I see it. Which is too few cars were given treatment and many more fall to the wayside.

And my point is you still have yet to show me say with absolution that the lighting system is the sole cause for it looking better, by changing the lighting you can trick users into seeing something better than what it actually is, it's very possible that with other additions this is what PD are doing.
This discussion is going nowhere. I see no reason to continue on as there is no any use for this blog. It's all because of a misunderstanding. It seems, at least in some areas we are talking about the same but do not understand each other.
To be precise i'll answer some of the questions:
I am not work for PD and i don't believe in what has been told in media. I think the better proof are pictures but not words. I don't use photoshop or any other software to improve cars models with textures or brightness&contrast. Those comparison pics are as they are in game, and if there is any difference in lighting it's in game lighting difference, and if there is any difference in car modeling it's in game car modeling difference.

Ok, I'll try to explain.
View attachment 93554
View attachment 93556
View attachment 93555
View attachment 93558
View attachment 93552
View attachment 93551
View attachment 93553

I hope Podi will update other standard for GT7.

Semi-premium or premium, I don't care, it's just not acceptable to leave them like that.

This is GT3... need I say more? This is to all the people that thought they were joking when they said that the Alto Works is from GT3, well... it was better then!
upload_2013-12-30_12-53-20.jpeg

Last edited:
Back