"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
It seems that a few people at PD were put on redrawing the standards and then increasing the detail to the old polygon mesh then reapply the newly drawn and higher resolution texture. That's the only way to explain it, there is no magical algorithm that will do what we are witnessing here. My guess is PD are still updating a great many cars but since those that aren't completed yet they still upgraded the standard versions to something viewable and less tacky looking. Note do not expect that many to make it into GT7 fully detailed, there will be some lost but realistically PD doesn't actually need every one of those cars.
If you look closely at the updated standard you can see it just looks cleaner and less rough, which is how I came to the redraws conclusion and also that they didn't actually go out and get those cars but referenced them from their archives of photos. Now if they get this done for all the standards in the game and be sure that none of them sport those jagged missing detail visuals they had in GT5 then I am sure we'd hear a lot less complaints. I hope that this redraw also is the reason why standards can remove spoilers and affix different spoilers.
People still complaining XX car isn't premium but XX is, seriously stop the madness. They can only model what they get access to, perhaps they haven't gotten their hands on a OEM stock version of whatever vehicle you are bellyaching about. Take a chill pill and relax, you don't get everything you wish for nor hope for just a fact of life.
I am thoroughly pleased, but I am still confused as to why is the deal with the audio, why does PD sound guys swear that cars especially race cars are so quiet? Why is the car audio always dialed back, in GT5 we had an update that cranked the engine audio up and that was nice then came some sound swap update that castrated a great deal of engine sounds the S7 went from Ford monster V8 to some wussy sounding I4 with sport cats. Get that sound guy some new ears and please stop cutting out the lows in engine and exhaust notes.

Yellow Bird :)

g1qu.jpg

uhvw.jpg

n5sk.jpg

Could anyone do me a favor and do a comparison of the '90 Nissan Primera 2.0Te ? :) That car is special to me, I got one because my dad gave my mom one before he died :)

Edit: '90 Infiniti G20 is just fine too, same car :lol:

A 96' P10 Primera 2.0 slx was my first car and it is since GT4 in every Gran Turismo too - i loved that car so much, would love to see a GT6 picture of it if there have anything freshed up!

These pictures of yellow bird look great, just hope that we don't have to pay for them (improved standards) as future DLC.

These pictures of yellow bird look great, just hope that we don't have to pay for them (improved standards) as future DLC.

Standards? Doubt it - at least I hope so. If they get converted to Premiums, post-release? We saw what happened with the XJR-9...

I'll admit, I'm surprised at how many Standards have seemingly been improved, by visible amounts. What I can't tell is if they're multi-part models though; are those body panels completely separate, or is it just made to look that way? The updated ones still look worse than some of the competitors' models, but they certainly close the gap between amazing Premiums (hello, LFA), and the Standards. Good on PD.

A 96' P10 Primera 2.0 slx was my first car and it is since GT4 in every Gran Turismo too - i loved that car so much, would love to see a GT6 picture of it if there have anything freshed up!
Awesome, I had a '92 P10 2.0 LX :D Hatchback though, but the sedan is cooler :lol:

And yeah let's hope it is freshed up, and that standard gets carbon hood. Mine had that :cheers: And I wish P11 would return too.. GT1 and GT2 had it, soo... And P11-144, no games have included that one. Not any of the previous GT series either. Too bad, they have had P11 before, now P10 and P12 but not the facelift P11-144 :nervous:

In GT4 my first car was a red second-hand Subaru Impreza WRX. :D
In GT5 it was a blue new subaru impreza sedan.
I think I will go for something with rear wheel drive in GT6. :D

Just buy a car after you passed your licenses, you'll have more money than.

Could someone take some photos of the Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe (510) '69, please? Thanks in advance.

In GT4 my first car was a red second-hand Subaru Impreza WRX. :D
In GT5 it was a blue new subaru impreza sedan.
I think I will go for something with rear wheel drive in GT6. :D

Just buy a car after you passed your licenses, you'll have more money than.

It's looking like you won't have the option to pick a first car, sadly :(

Awesome, I had a '92 P10 2.0 LX :D Hatchback though, but the sedan is cooler :lol:

And yeah let's hope it is freshed up, and that standard gets carbon hood. Mine had that :cheers: And I wish P11 would return too.. GT1 and GT2 had it, soo... And P11-144, no games have included that one. Not any of the previous GT series either. Too bad, they have had P11 before, now P10 and P12 but not the facelift P11-144 :nervous:

I currently have a '95 G20, doing a 5-speed swap. :)

Hey, looks like we should make a Primera owners club :lol:

It seems that a few people at PD were put on redrawing the standards and then increasing the detail to the old polygon mesh then reapply the newly drawn and higher resolution texture. That's the only way to explain it, there is no magical algorithm that will do what we are witnessing here. My guess is PD are still updating a great many cars but since those that aren't completed yet they still upgraded the standard versions to something viewable and less tacky looking. Note do not expect that many to make it into GT7 fully detailed, there will be some lost but realistically PD doesn't actually need every one of those cars.
If you look closely at the updated standard you can see it just looks cleaner and less rough, which is how I came to the redraws conclusion and also that they didn't actually go out and get those cars but referenced them from their archives of photos. Now if they get this done for all the standards in the game and be sure that none of them sport those jagged missing detail visuals they had in GT5 then I am sure we'd hear a lot less complaints. I hope that this redraw also is the reason why standards can remove spoilers and affix different spoilers.
People still complaining XX car isn't premium but XX is, seriously stop the madness. They can only model what they get access to, perhaps they haven't gotten their hands on a OEM stock version of whatever vehicle you are bellyaching about. Take a chill pill and relax, you don't get everything you wish for nor hope for just a fact of life.
I am thoroughly pleased, but I am still confused as to why is the deal with the audio, why does PD sound guys swear that cars especially race cars are so quiet? Why is the car audio always dialed back, in GT5 we had an update that cranked the engine audio up and that was nice then came some sound swap update that castrated a great deal of engine sounds the S7 went from Ford monster V8 to some wussy sounding I4 with sport cats. Get that sound guy some new ears and please stop cutting out the lows in engine and exhaust notes.
There are always different ways to explain something... How about......magic?!

Or pegasus?

@ SlipZtrEm
No but the ****** car that I will probably be getting in advance I just sell so that I have more money for a proper car.
Did it in GT5 as well, sold the slow Toyota GT86 and bought a subaru. :D
I haven't played GT5 from the releaseday on. So when I started playing it, I directly got the Toyota for free.
Before GT5 I played GT4 very much on my PS2, I didn't have a PS3 before. I have been playing GT5 for more than 2 years now, last couple of months with a g27, before the G27 I had a DFGT for a year but it broke down. First couple of months I played GT5 I used a DS3.
For GT4 I had a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT force feedback wheel.

The lighting is perfect in the YellowBird pics. I don't see how GT7 can improve daytime/dry conditions.
You'd be surprised by what day/night looks like on PS4 compared to PS3. Just wait, when the detail level increases and the techniques also increase your eyes will wonder just how they could get it to look any better.

I think the clean standards are still WIP, some of the better looking ones in GT5 weren't touched at all and some ugly ones in GT5 weren't touched with a 10 ft barge pole. Anyone else amazed with the work on the RUF cars, I wonder how they go about choosing which cars go next into the redraw and upgrade mesh bin? I am still wondering can the S7 get a spoiler and front aero parts, it's a crime to drive that car with that teeny tiny spoiler on the rear when you want to use it as a race car, since PD have yet to add the S7R to the stable.

So far you are forced into purchasing that Fit, guess PD is trying to guide new players but older seasoned players will find this mildly annoying as we know how to handle most cars. Right after your first car you can buy anything else you can afford, so I take it vets will take to license tests after the initial purchase, unless the day one update removes the car choice limitation...crosses fingers and toes and legs and anything else I can cross.

You know what is amazing is there are many standard cars being called out by people in this thread and to think that on this very same forum we have people who thought and still think it would have been great if PD would not have included the standards at all. Someone posted a photo of one of my GT2 favorites the Lotus Elise GT1, car gone from GT forever it seems along with a great deal others...I am afraid that many will do the same come GT7. PD had the license for the cars in GT5 so why waste what you already paid for, stuff em all in there I say.

Latest Posts

Back