"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
Any more images of the DB7 and E46 M3 CSL would be appreciated :)

It's also about time we had an E39! Maybe one day.

7624.jpg

r59b.jpg

Some of these standards have been made shockingly close to premium quality. I mean if you gave this or the RUF 3400S an interior they would practically be premium.

Am I one of the only ones that is not really impressed by these new "semi-premium" cars? Sure, some of them look better, and for that I am grateful; but c'mon...too many still look like crap (at least from what is being shown on the Web). In this day and age all cars should all be top of the line premium. I know it's been said by many others that there are way to many of the same types of cars in the game; so why didn't they just cut out a lot of the copies (S2000, Skyline, RX-7, etc.) and use those resources to convert more cars to complete premium quality. IMHO it should be mostly about quality, not quantity.

And enough with the "it takes a lot of work to make a better quality looking car for a video game" stuff. This is the top racing game in the world, quality control should be higher than that.

Am I one of the only ones that is not really impressed by these new "semi-premium" cars? Sure, some of them look better, and for that I am grateful; but c'mon...too many still look like crap (at least from what is being shown on the Web). In this day and age all cars should all be top of the line premium. I know it's been said by many others that there are way to many of the same types of cars in the game; so why didn't they just cut out a lot of the copies (S2000, Skyline, RX-7, etc.) and use those resources to convert more cars to complete premium quality. IMHO it should be mostly about quality, not quantity.

And enough with the "it takes a lot of work to make a better quality looking car for a video game" stuff. This is the top racing game in the world, quality control should be higher than that.

Its not an issue of quality control but an issue of man power. PD doesnt outsource anything, even modeling. Just something we have to live with. And to suggest they outsource that, this game is their craft and understandably, they want to perfect everything in house with a hands on approach. Have faith, I do. I sincerely doubt their modellers are kicking their feet up and calling it a day by noon.

The updated cars look better than what I expected but only because I don't expect much from PD these days. When I first heard about "standard" cars, before GT5 was released, I expected them to be close to the "premium" cars. It took them 3 years to ad a "few" close to premium cars.

What I really don't understand is why PD kept the unupdated models in the game? Why give reviewers a chance to knock points of your game? All the premium cars and updated standards should be enough to have a respectable number of cars in the game, but the stil deceided that Suzuki monstrosity should stay in the game:odd:

Its not an issue of quality control but an issue of man power. PD doesnt outsource anything, even modeling. Just something we have to live with. And to suggest they outsource that, this game is their craft and understandably, they want to perfect everything in house with a hands on approach. Have faith, I do. I sincerely doubt their modellers are kicking their feet up and calling it a day by noon.

I never said anything about outsourcing. If they can't do it with what they have, then maybe they need to hire more people. You say that "they want to perfect everything in house"; but having hundreds of cars not meet the standards that PD has set with the Premium quality of many cars in the game already kind of supports my point.

To be honest, I didn't expect a thousand Premium cars in GT6, and in retrospective, I shouldn't have bashed PD for not having a thousand Premium cars in GT5, as those cars had an incredible level of detail that was not going to be achieved easily in a matter of years.

The current semi-Premium cars are good enough for me, since they aren't that distinguishable from Premium cars, as standard cars were. An entire roster of cars made of semi-Premium and Premium cars is just perfect for what PD can do. Sadly, this isn't the case with GT6, but I'm more than pleased. I'd rather have every car semi-Premium-nized first, than having some standards turn into Premium and leave the rest alone.

I keep refreshing this thread in hopes of someone with the patch saying more standards have been updated. Probably wishful thinking though.

By far the most infamous example of a poorly ported GT4 model, and it hasn't even been touched. :lol:

Well, to its defense, if it wasn't poorly ported no one would be aware of its existence. Now, because it looks so poor, it's famous! Do you really want to take that away from the car, and let it be forever forgotten?! Huh?! Do you?!

"The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference." / Elie Wiesel

I never said anything about outsourcing. If they can't do it with what they have, then maybe they need to hire more people. You say that "they want to perfect everything in house"; but having hundreds of cars not meet the standards that PD has set with the Premium quality of many cars in the game already kind of supports my point.

Sure its less than perfect with 1000 cars being semi-premium, but Im okay with that, I am estatic they updated the awful ports finally. Id love interiors too but I understand how difficult a project is at this scale.

It would be foolish to cut the less than perfect variety and have nothing to drive (Forza 5..), or to go on a spending spree (inhouse or otherwise) modelling 1000+ cars to appease those who only want absolute perfection.

In due time my man, I feel it will all be sorted out.

Next to physics this was what I hoped would happen. I'm chuffed that a few of my favourite car's are now looking great.

Ok, so just two requests from me and I would really appreciate it as Im only getting the game on Monday (I only pre-ordered it an hour ago). I had no intention of buying GT6 but after seeing these Standard Cars that are so dear to me, I pre-ordered the game.
The Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO '64 and the Delorean DMC 12.

Back