STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
Then George Lucas made the first of many poor decisions in the franchise and changed the script while filming to be more kid friendly as possible (read: give the story a happy ending).
There was an op-ed I posted yesterday about the secret brilliance of the prequel trilogy. I don't know if you read it, but the author suggested that the fundamental weakness of the original trilogy was that it just kept turning the sane story over: the need for the Rebellion to overthrow the Emperor. Eventually, that has to come to a halt; they either had to succeed or be vanquished.

Knowing Abrams, it's not about restoring the original storyline. It's about geek chic and the audience knowing that he's the one who did it. On the internet, the autere is a visionary and free from criticism; if it goes wrong, it's somebody else's fault. Abrams doesn't just buy into that, he has consciously tried to position himself as an autere despite having done nothing to deserve it.

I was 6 when I saw Star Wars in '77. I'll feel like I'm 6 when I see this new one. I'll read all the spoilers, watch all the clips. I'm watching thsese stories come to life. It was good to see R2 fly. Cool to see speeder bikes before they were used on Endor.

The more visuals I can see and read about everyone's experiences, the better. I would dream about Star Wars, Empire and Return so much as a kid. I'll see it for myself and I bet even after the first night hype, I'll still enjoy it.

The cast and crew boarding the ANA R2-D2 787...

2F68D7FB00000578-3361883-image-m-50_1450234186891.jpg

2F68D43A00000578-3361883-image-m-64_1450234298464.jpg

...:odd:

The cast and crew boarding the ANA R2-D2 787...

Awfully small crew, considering the size and the scope of the film...:lol:

Oh, and just now, I ran into a Korean web-comic Star Wars A New Hope, replete with bishounen versions of Luke and Han. What in the world...

Edit: Here's the cover image of that comic, just in case if you think I'm full of hot air.

ocover.jpg

The Korean below translates into something like "A story before Force Awakens"

Last edited:
I've seen the movie at 10:00am this morning (earliest viewing opportunity save the premiere yesterday), and I won't spoil anything, but it's absolutely great. :cheers: It has a few flaws IMO, but still it's very worthy sequel. All I can say is that some rumors are true, while others are not. :sly:

...:odd:
Awfully small crew, considering the size and the scope of the film...:lol:

That's the secret, the film actually looks like a 30 man amateur YouTube production... shhhh don't tell anyone!

They probably were already on board, I dunno, I just work here :lol:

Knowing Abrams, it's not about restoring the original storyline. It's about geek chic and the audience knowing that he's the one who did it. On the internet, the autere is a visionary and free from criticism; if it goes wrong, it's somebody else's fault. Abrams doesn't just buy into that, he has consciously tried to position himself as an autere despite having done nothing to deserve it.
This is not what my feeling was after the movie at all, even if it may be so or not. TFA is not a typical Abrams vehicle at all IMO, he did a great job.

I've seen the movie at 10:00am this morning (earliest viewing opportunity save the premiere yesterday), and I won't spoil anything, but it's absolutely great. :cheers: It has a few flaws IMO, but still it's very worthy sequel. All I can say is that some rumors are true, while others are not. :sly:

Good to know that it was great :cheers:

Btw how long is it?

Two hours and 15 mins. Since I went to the bathroom half way (no break in between) for a minute or two, I am considering viewing it again later this week. :D

Just saw the film, I thought that it was fantastic. Predictively, most of the audience burst into applause when anything from the older films was shown. :lol:
I wasn't surprised to see the Millennium Falcon (!), I just wasn't expecting it to show up that soon. It was a nice surprise. The Falcon going into Hyperspace... :drool:

The only spoiler that I'd heard was that Han was going to die. Other than that, I didn't know what was going to happen.
While this wasn't the best Star Wars film IMO, it was still pretty good. It certainly had the most humour in it.
C3PO's first appearance was the best part, though. :lol:

I was hoping that Luke would have a larger role, but I guess that he would have overshadowed the other characters.

Watched the Collider Video "Spoiler free review" this morning and they seemed to have enjoyed it. Sucks I have to wait until Sunday. :P

Just got back from seeing this, some foreigners were there and it was very cool to see their reaction, must be crazy in America.

I enjoyed the movie, although i predicted most major twists. More later but don't think anyone will ve dissapointed. Kudos to JJ

Edit: here is my review
Firstly I've seen it in 3-D in a regular theatre not IMAX which was a problem for me because I hate 3D movies so I can't wait now to get it at home without all of this nonsense.
The film itself I felt was well paced and all the new characters were brilliantly portraied by the new young actors to my surprise, Kylo Ren's actor in particular impressed me, the character itself not so much, they're trying for him to be the new vader so bad but he was so under developed for me, I saw Solo's death (he did die, right ?) coming but when it did It was a case of "not like this". Po, Fin and Ray were great characters so no issue there, the draining sun weapon was a bit stupid but anyway the action was fantastic (those space battles :eek: )and the Nostalgia factor elevated the movie and it was done very well, with Harrision Ford being brilliant as usual. I felt no Luke (last scene withstanding) wasn't a surprise after the whole poster thing but atleast it saves something for the next star wars movie (betting ray is his daughter). Now the final negative for me was that it does seem a lot like the first trilogy in plot and there is a sense of dejavu which isn't really exciting) but over all enjoyed it a lot and kudos again to JJ for not messing it up

Last edited:
I've seen it too. It's beautiful and towards the end almost had me in tears and choked up. JJ Abrams, you did it.. IMHO this ranks up on shared first spot with TESB.

I may give in and try to see it Thursday night. I think my local theater still has tickets available. (small town FTW)

Edit: Got a ticket for 7:30pm Thursday and the theater is only 12% sold. Small town FTW indeed.

Last edited:
So, major spoilers:
Don't
say
I
didn't
warn
you
This is your last chance to turn back:
It's Star Trek. You have an exiled mentor on a faraway planet, a vaguely-defined reason for the heroes to find him, a "sympathetic" villain hell-bent on destroying planets and a thin plot contrivance to give the heroes a reason to stop him, the future of the universe entrusted to the least-responsible people living within it, and witty banter that does little to hide the fact that they are completely dysfunctional.

I knew Abrams is a hack, but I didn't think he'd stoop so low as ripping off his own body of work.

So, major spoilers:
Don't
say
I
didn't
warn
you
This is your last chance to turn back:
It's Star Trek. You have an exiled mentor on a faraway planet, a vaguely-defined reason for the heroes to find him, a "sympathetic" villain hell-bent on destroying planets and a thin plot contrivance to give the heroes a reason to stop him, the future of the universe entrusted to the least-responsible people living within it, and witty banter that does little to hide the fact that they are completely dysfunctional.

I knew Abrams is a hack, but I didn't think he'd stoop so low as ripping off his own body of work.
But in case of Star Wars it actually works.

But in case of Star Wars it actually works.
It doesn't change the fact that he just lazily recycled his own previous film from a rival franchise. And I do mean lazily - Leia is supposedly a general, but her best plan is to send one pilot to search the entire galaxy for her brother and then hope that he will miraculously have a solution to defeat the First Order despite the fact that he has been in exile for thirty years. Then she shows almost no hesitation to trust Dameron despite his poor judgement in accepting Finn's aid based on nothing more than Finn's "trust me, I'm totally reformed" and Rey's questionable background; she pins the entire future of the galaxy on the three most irresponsible people living in it and her dysfunctional ex-husband. Surely a better plan would be to search star systems for First Order sympathisers and figure out where they are getting their resources; after all, they apparently control just a fraction of the galaxy, and yet are somehow able to develop and build a superweapon with the potential to consume a star in total secrecy.

In fact, Leia is no better than the First Order herself. Despite the number of factions that have emerged, planetary systems have no say in which one they belong to; they can either be a part of the Republic and incur the wrath of the First Order, or distance themselves from the Republic and be branded an enemy to galactic stability. The Republic and the Resistance are only the good guys because they have Leia on their team. Finn deserts the First Order in disgust at their fascistic policies, but has no qualms about joining the New Republic despite their unspoken "join or die" approach. The irony is that the Old Republic failed for this very same reason.

In fact, the entire New Republic is completely dysfunctional. Despite destroying the Empire and two Death Stars, the entire galaxy has been plagued by instability since the Battle of Endor. By my - admittedly very rough - estimation, the Empire only existed for about twenty-five years, so the galaxy has been in a state of turmoil when under democratic rule for longer when there was relative stability under a tyrannical dictatorship. It's an utter failure, which is really no surprise given the baffling decisions that Leia makes.

"Anyone who has seen Ep.1. & Ep.4, has seen Ep.7 excuse me, "VII".
Nothing new to see. Same opening of a big ship after opening credits. Same gathering of hero's on a dusty planet. Same battle of a small ship blowing up a small moon... Excuse me,.."that's no moon". I think the worse part is the father son moment on the catwalk. Come with me to the dar..er,...brightside.
If a person has not seen any of the movies, all they need watch is Empire Strikes Back. There will never be another story told like Ep.V."

Seeing reviews of people it seems my thoughts are shared by many, I still however feel like
Ren isn't that much different from Vader and that character needs some work in the next movie.

Seen it, loved it, it was entertaining and that's all I care about. I'm not one of those movie over thinkers. If I was, I wouldn't like any movies and it would ruin the experience.

The only part I had an issue with was...

the whole X-Wings down the corridor into the hole to destroy the mega weapon.

Oh well.

Seen it, loved it, it was entertaining and that's all I care about. I'm not one of those movie over thinkers. If I was, I wouldn't like any movies and it would ruin the experience.
Exactly my opinion.

I loved the movie. Does it have flaws? Sure, but so did all the other episodes. Dare I say I don't really have big issues with EP1-3 either, despite some obvious issues?

Definitely watching it again later this week with my son. 👍

This is what the film should have been:

The title should have something to do with the plot. As tensions between the New Republic and the First Order escalate, ordinary people start going mad and killing dozens of people at random. The attackers are Force-sensitive, and have been drive mad by an infection of the midichlorians (midichlorians are not the Force, but rather a symbiotic microbe attracted to the presence of the Force), thus necessitating Leia's mission to find Luke.

Luke, however, has made a discovery of his own: there is no Light and Dark Side to the Force. Rather, it is completely neutral, and the "Light" and "Dark" are actually the will of the user. Luke is in self-imposed exile, concerned that if this gets out, the people will lose faith in the Jedi Order and their ability to act as peacekeepers.

Meanwhile, Leia is attacked by Kylo Ren, a First Order assassin. Rather than being her son, Ren was a resident of Jakku. Following the Battle of Endor, the Rebel Alliance crushed the remnants of the Empire in the Battle of Jakku; however, the downed Imperial fleet contaminated the atmosphere of Jakku, rendering the planet inhospitable. Ren is a Force user seeking revenge on Leia for Jakku, and trying to locate Luke for the First Order in the hopes that he can aid Supreme Leader Snoke, who is being driven mad by the contamination of the midichlorians.

Just got home from the first showing at my theater. I really enjoyed it.
I think what I enjoyed most was that it had the classic style to it, as opposed to the prequels flashy, super aero chrome ships and drones. I also enjoyed the "day in the life of a storm trooper" thing it had going. Small editions like the two guards turning and walking back down the hall as Ren destroyed that room add character to the clones that felt almost like mindless robots in the original series. The extreme, glaring similarities between this and episode 4 is a little off putting, as well as the fact that I feel the plot of the whole series is fairly predictable.
But, that is really the jist of my issues, I really enjoyed the rest of the movie. I also have my suspicions with that Poe fellow. I don't exactly recall how he escaped the empire? One minute he's being tortured by Ren, the next he's advising Leia. Not sure that guy should be trusted so much so soon after torture.
All that said, I really did enjoy the movie over all. It had exactly what I expected from a star wars flick. More of the dirty "wild west" feel. Less of the sleek futuristic look. I look forward to the next movie, all of the directions it can go... Who else thinks Rey is Luke's daughter?
Luke, however, has made a discovery of his own: there is no Light and Dark Side to the Force. Rather, it is completely neutral, and the "Light" and "Dark" are actually the will of the user. Luke is in self-imposed exile, concerned that if this gets out, the people will lose faith in the Jedi Order and their ability to act as peacekeepers.
This is the premise of a series of Star Wars books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back