Starfield

United States
Marin County
Surprised there wasn't already a thread for this. Teaser trailer doesn't really give a lot a way, but it looks pretty.

Did we know beforehand that this would be XB/PC exclusive? I think the writing was on the wall, but it still feels like big news.

While I still have a strong affinity for Bethesda, I haven't really been pulled into the last few games. Fallout 4, particularly, felt kind of distant to me. I really loved Oblivion and Fallout 3. I would rate Skyrim just below those.

Yes, I think it was previousely confirmed it was XB/PC exclusive. It's definitely got my interest, but as there's still so little information and it's 17 months away I've not really got hyped about this yet. If they pull it off it could be fantastic, but let's see.

The only Bethesda studio I’m interested in currently is Arkane. Never liked Fallout much and Skyrim/Oblivion even less.

Still, I do like sci-fi in general, so I’m mildly interested. The only thing is that since it’s PC/XSX I’m probably not going to be able to play it anyway, unless cloud works well enough.

This is too far off to get too excited for, but I can't wait to see another sci-fi RPG eventually, maybe one with a more serious tone than The Outer Worlds (a game I love and can't wait for Outer Worlds 2).

I watched (but didn't listen to) the trailer, and its giving me the vibe that its a cross between Fallout and No Man's Sky, which is no bad thing. Shame its so far off and even more a shame that, initially at least, its a XB/PC exclusive.

Just saw a gameplay from a new showcase from bethesda of it now, it's on youtube. Looks great,and ambitious in vastness, customization but from what's shown, pretty basic shooting action.
Hopefully just a starting gameplay preview, and gets more tactical in choice and confrontations.

Even fallout 4 can be tactical somewhat with slow down vats aiming system, etc.

But looks cool for a scifi fan, you can customize your ship, affects the performance, you can fly from a planet surface to space, combat in space, in 3rd or cockpit view it looked like.
1000 planets explorable in 100 systems.

Space stations to dock to, hire helpers for your ship. Will be hard to skip it if good, and not on ps console. Says 2023 release.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I love how they've implemented the space ship customization. It somehow reminds me of the pipe weapons or settlements in FH4. Interesting in theory but the results always feel generic / unspecial. I think I would rather the spaceships are unique "found craft" that you can acquire via quests, random encounters, or other game world interactions that look distinct and deliberately designed...as opposed to lego brick assemblages they kind of seem to be.

I love sci-if, but this game (so far) left me unimpressed. Seems quantity over quality at the moment. A lot of stuff, but none of it seems exciting. We’ll see, but given Bethesda’s history recently, it will be an unplayable mess on release and I’m afraid boring to boot. Hope to be proven wrong, but I’m not holding my breath.

Tell me lies...

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Todd regardless what happen, so will probably get hyped around the launch date and buy it (I bought F76 for 60 bucks on launch day).

So it's No Man's Sky but with some storytelling? It has a lot of similarity in certain functions like the mining laser, scanning creatures, flora etc, base building. It's like they just took NMS and added the bits that were missing.

Could be good, could also emulate NMS release and absolutely tank.

Tell me lies...

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Todd regardless what happen, so will probably get hyped around the launch date and buy it (I bought F76 for 60 bucks on launch day).
Just curious, did you regret this?

So it's No Man's Sky but with some storytelling? It has a lot of similarity in certain functions like the mining laser, scanning creatures, flora etc, base building. It's like they just took NMS and added the bits that were missing.

Could be good, could also emulate NMS release and absolutely tank.

Yeah I see a lot of parallels too. One thing that is concerning to me is the scalability of open worlds. The bigger the world is, the less intentional it becomes simply because you can't possibly design everything with artists. The result is a lot of filler and vast amounts of generic space. Allowing for some tools to help artists speed up the process, games like GTA V or Skyrim or New Vegas feel great as open worlds because they feel so intentionally designed, just about everything is a conscious decision for atmosphere or gameplay or both. The procedurally generated worlds don't really get either of those right and feel like background or peripheral space as a result. The other way is to build worlds more like what was done in Outer Worlds which are more intentional but far more limited and I'd say also not entirely satisfying - they feel arbitrarily constricted. Why can I only access 1 square mile of this entire planet? I'm not sure what the answer is for a Space RPG that doesn't involve unreasonable amounts of development time.

Last edited:
Just curious, did you regret this?
I don't regret it as it, all games come with bugs and issues on launch these days and I knew the game would get fixed eventually. Only issue is my PC just can't handle that game smoothly, and that game at low settings is just ugly.

Seems you can't fly directly from space on to a planet manually, in real time. It's a cutscene landing transition, bit disappointing but what's more disappointing is I'm guessing you can't fly it near the surface either if it just lands with a cutscene at a specific spot.

And use it while hovering over the surface for anything, and feel the physics, use it for confrontations, science etc.
Plus i don't know if you can fly in space from within the ship to other systems or again will be just a fast travel cutscene?

And control it to dock to stations etc, i don't know.
Then all you do is fight a little in one system with it.
Im sure cause there's more detail on the surface etc but probably a game engine imitation too.

I thought they said, especially on ps5, with a so fast ssd and transfer rate, that new consoles could stream in real time fully detailed environments with no sacrifice.

Todd says not important, but i bet when they'll have all that they will shout it as the end all feature hehe.

Anyways, it isn't the end of the world but if it's just limited to flying some space combat with limited flying just in orbit of a planet it'll be disappointing to me.
It be nice to feel like your ship is your home away from home and main companion so to speak, using it in all aspects, getting beat up, trying to get back safe in one piece, patch it up, etc. And feel you are travelling with it.

Doesn't have to be time consuming like in elite though.
Cheers..

Last edited:
If it ends up being a less-flexible, less open NMS - as its starting to appear to be, then i'm not massively bothered if it eventually comes to PS5 or not.

I'm several big updates behind in MNS as i've probably not played it for a couple of years, but i did really enjoy the freedom to roam it allowed. If this is going to be very much like MNS with more story but much less freedom i'm not sure people will find it worth the wait.

Having said that, in MNS you always felt slightly disconected from what was going on, like you were observing and directing rather than interacting, so if Bethesda can engage with the players more, make it fell like you are party of the story, it may add a much needed dimention to the genre.

Last edited:
Just watched more gameplay, looks like a fallout game a little too much, i don't know.
Wish it was more space scifi, dont need another fallout or outer worlds type game from this.

Just seems like empty outposts, mostly human colonies, and alien type lifeforms to pew pew at, in a basic way.

And 4 major hubs, that dont look scifi much more than fallout.

Well, on the good side, he says you can disable enemy ships, board them, steal them.
You can walk inside it ships and stations it seems.
Have quests there, interactions etc.

Upgrade your ship to venture farther in other star systems.
Cross fingers there's enough space side of it, and feels scifi, with some intelligent aliens to interact with etc.
Not just human basic colonies with same basic problems, and collecting, looting, upgrading, shooting in outposts..

Not many full space sci-fi games on console, with a complete experience, looks like a mass effect andromeda game, with scanning planets lol,,noooo hehe. But no vehicles on planets to use.
At least there's space gameplay in this hehe.

I love scifi, far out discoveries, amazed by new realities, environments, possiblilties of interesting intriguing smart life civilizations.., cool new tech, futuristic cities.
Outer wilds game is pretty cool for that, and physics gameplay feel, although in a indie smaller budget way.
Another cool indie space game is The long journey home.

Maybe in 50years devs will get there lol. And us in 5000years🤞😁.

Last edited:
Got to say im getting hyped more for this, as a fan of anything space and scifi, star trek etc, if they can set a cool exploring far out space mood, and feel like a survival challenge with many possibilities.
And enough space and ship involvement, coolness.
Hopefully you can feel travelling within each system at least, from planet to planet, to moons and stations and other ships within it.

It will be hard for me to not get an xsx down the line if it really never comes to ps5.
Is it stated clearly that it will never, or maybe just letting us think that for now?

Last edited:
It will be hard for me to not get an xsx down the line if it really never comes to ps5.
Is it stated clearly that it will never, or maybe just letting us think that for now?
If they were to say at this stage that it would at some point come to PS5, then PS5 owners would just wait. If Bethesda/Microsoft are using radio silence on the issue, it could potentially add sales to Xbox consoles. If it does eventually come to PS5 then they'll more than likely leave the announcement to a good six months after launch on PC/Xbox. This both boosts potential sales of Xbox's and prolongues the games full price value.

Last edited:

Was a nice showing of it with the devs after the main xbx show.
Looks as a whole, interesting, just hope each gameplay part is as well, individually.

Looked nice overall, but was hoping the human npcs would have jumped to a bigger improvement in looks of faces, in general roaming, and animations in convos.

Last edited:
Locked at 30fps on both Series consoles (1440p on S, 4K on X)

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

Locked at 30fps on both Series consoles (1440p on S, 4K on X)

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

They're going to have to do some damage control on this one, I think. It's certainly triggered some very misinformed takes on social media which are at least amusing to read.

Personally it wouldn't bother me all that much, but it would be interesting to see how many players switch to 60fps over 30fps in games where it's available.

Last edited:
I always thought FPS was an FPS thing rather than an RPG one. Although not the RPG used in FPSes.

Wonder what frame rate Fable will run at.

Last edited:
I always thought FPS was an FPS thing rather than an RPG one. Although not the RPG used in FPSes.

Wonder what frame rate Fable will run at.
This is looking quite a shooty RPG, so the FPS is kinda important.
I understand them wanting to max out the pretty and not compromise, but I think the option to go 60 fps would've been appreciated - especially for the Xbox userbase which has a large crossover with PC.
It's more the kind of thing you would've expected from Sony (last gen anyway).

Looks good but let's be honest. It is so going to be full of bugs.
Suits me fine if we eventually get a PS5 version somewhere down the line when it's bugs have largely been ironed out like FO76's were. 👍

Last edited:
This is looking quite a shooty RPG, so the FPS is kinda important.
I understand them wanting to max out the pretty and not compromise, but I think the option to go 60 fps would've been appreciated - especially for the Xbox userbase which has a large crossover with PC.
It's more the kind of thing you would've expected from Sony (last gen anyway).
I wonder whether the CPU will be tied up with loading in preprogrammed quests and assets as you traverse the procedurally generated planets. May explain the lack of a multiplayer arena.

Back