Stars Of The Future: Who do you think will be lining up on the F1 grid by 2014/15?

• Thread starter adam46
  • 101 comments
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
AdamNeverKnows
It is intruiging watching some young talent in the world of racing who seem to be miles ahead of their similarly aged competitors. Which members of the junior Formula youth movement do you think will see their way into F1 in the not to distant future?
I'm thinking Jean-Eric Vergne will do quite well in the future, I think Paul Di Resta will be in a top team soon, Felipe Nasr seems to have potential too.

Which drivers do you think will be stars of the future?

Tom Blomqvist? Youngest Formula Renault UK champion. I think he was the son or cousin of a famous rallier too.

The American Alex Rossi is at the top of my list. It's not a question of if, but when.

Yes,
I was very impressed with his performance in the World Series last weekend, if he can keep his form through the season he'll at least be an F1 tester next year.

Brundles son perhaps?

He looks average at best tbh.

Matti_Dude
Tom Blomqvist? Youngest Formula Renault UK champion. I think he was the son or cousin of a famous rallier too.

He's the son of the legendary Stig Blomqvist.

It's really difficult to tell who will succeed at f1. So many times over the years, people have moved up to F1 with a huge reputation, but haven't performed well.
Jan Magnussen anyone? Yannick Dalmas? Corrado Fabi?

On the flip side, there are Drivers who haven't looked like anything special before F1, but have done really well... For example, Kamui Kobayashi.

He looks average at best tbh.

Yeah I think he will only ever get as far as Piquet JR did, which is as far as you can get with a famous name. Then again the Brundle name isn't exactley up to Nelson Piquet status.

Yeah I think he will only ever get as far as Piquet JR did, which is as far as you can get with a famous name. Then again the Brundle name isn't exactley up to Nelson Piquet status.

That is true, but at least Piquet jr had some success before F1.

EDIT: Great tribute to Ide... The pitstop was priceless. Your avatar says it all.

Last edited:
No seriously. The guy has just started in Clio's, and he's learning. Whilst maybe not quite F1, I can see him carving out a decent career.

He seems ok. Definately not F1 material, but give him some time. Don't forget he is also disabled. He's at least finished his first four races. I knew about his racing exploits, but still seems unrealistic that he'd make it to F1. As a matter of fact, I will eat my pubic hair if he does.

He seems ok. Definately not F1 material, but give him some time. Don't forget he is also disabled. He's at least finished his first four races. I knew about his racing exploits, but still seems unrealistic that he'd make it to F1. As a matter of fact, I will eat my pubic hair if he does.

Wasn't he some kind of champion on a racing game? I remember JH mentioning something about that when Hamilton and him were racing on F1 2010. But I highly doubt he will make it in to F1, I wouldn't bet eating my pubic hair on it though...

Nicolas Hamilton is a joke... oh yeah my brothers an F1 driver so it suddenly gives me the talent and ability to race in a proper decent series, or was it that limitless amount of cash and a word from his brother. :yuck:

Its hard to say who will be a star down the line mostly because we don't even know who these guys are till they are in something like Formula 3 by which point every knows they have potential.

Robin.

Nicolas Hamilton is a joke... oh yeah my brothers an F1 driver so it suddenly gives me the talent and ability to race in a proper decent series, or was it that limitless amount of cash and a word from his brother. :yuck:

Give the guy a break, hater. Given his disablements, what Nicolas has achieved is quite admirable.

Give the guy a break, hater. Given his disablements, what Nicolas has achieved is quite admirable.

Don't play the disability card, he's being bankrolled by his name and his brother and you can achieve a lot with the right backing and the right connections. Some of these young motorsport drivers with famous fathers are terrible yet no one will admit it and what team wouldnt want the PR even if you don't deliver.

You're telling me if you could do the same you wouldn't?

If anyone came to me and said they would bank roll me for a season in any motorsport i'd bite their hand off.

Max Chilton might get there.

He may not be on the grid in time for 2014/15 but Nyck De Vries is the man to look out for in the future, he's got the right backing (McLaren and Anthony Hamilton) and has destroyed everyone in his path so far in International Karting.

You're telling me if you could do the same you wouldn't?

If I didn't have the talent I wouldn't expect my ass to be kissed basically. If I had the opportunity to give it a go (which I wouldnt) and was crap then I would prefer to be told straight rather than them keeping me there because I brought some big PR. This is also starting to happen in F1 with drivers purely for sponsorship, what ever happened to talent!?

If I didn't have the talent I wouldn't expect my ass to be kissed basically. If I had the opportunity to give it a go (which I wouldnt) and was crap then I would prefer to be told straight rather than them keeping me there because I brought some big PR. This is also starting to happen in F1 with drivers purely for sponsorship, what ever happened to talent!?

I agree to an extent, the ITV 4 coverage was terribly patronising his first weekend.

But I can understand him wanting to race and having spoke to him he doesn't for one second think he is the best driver. He's having fun, and if anyone came up to me and said 'lets go racing' I would accept no matter how talented I am or am not.

Money has always been a big part, even Senna needed big money from Pool jeans and Banco National and even Prost had big backing from Renault.

I agree to an extent, the ITV 4 coverage was terribly patronising his first weekend.

But I can understand him wanting to race and having spoke to him he doesn't for one second think he is the best driver. He's having fun, and if anyone came up to me and said 'lets go racing' I would accept no matter how talented I am or am not.

Money has always been a big part, even Senna needed big money from Pool jeans and Banco National and even Prost had big backing from Renault.

The ITV coverage was so offputting, just like they did with Lewis.

Its alright for some to have the time and the ability to do something that big and just pass it off as 'some fun'.

If it was really racing for fun I would say thats fine, many rich guys race around in private events for giggles and if they said come along ofcourse I would, but if it was (as in this case) a professional race series there just becomes a point where you are embarassing yourself because you are ultimately there to compete and deliver. Not to mention the resentment you might recieve from your competitors and also that guy out there who can drive a Clio better and will never get the chance.

Thing is it runs through all levels of motorsport. Even BTCC has its bank rolled drivers and the Porsche Carrera cup is full of them too. Don't get me started on the Ginetta's they are a majority of kids in that series with family run teams, you've probably seen the races only 50% of the field can drive.

The problem with Nick is his family name. If he was Johnny two bloggs there wouldn't be such resentment about his position, afterall Tom Chilton got to where he was due to the bank rolling of his dad, and Max will do the same.

Theres resentment across the whole of racing, drivers lower down the grid resent top facilities of the big teams, better ability to upgrade or even if you look at the Formula Renault UK championship the smaller teams struggle to get the same straight line speed of the cars in the front.

Hamilton's just another race driver, all of the drivers there are well backed, 99% of them are ten a penny race drivers.

Wasn't he some kind of champion on a racing game? I remember JH mentioning something about that when Hamilton and him were racing on F1 2010. But I highly doubt he will make it in to F1, I wouldn't bet eating my pubic hair on it though...

Yeah. I think he was the British Champion. Means very little though.

adam46
I think he might make BTCC.
Back on topic now please.

Who went and made you judge, jury and executioner? Besides, we were actually on topic...

Robin.
This is also starting to happen in F1 with drivers purely for sponsorship, what ever happened to talent!?
Sometimes, the teams need it to survive...

It is intruiging watching some young talent in the world of racing who seem to be miles ahead of their similarly aged competitors. Which members of the junior Formula youth movement do you think will see their way into F1 in the not to distant future?
I'm thinking Jean-Eric Vergne will do quite well in the future, I think Paul Di Resta will be in a top team soon, Felipe Nasr seems to have potential too.

Which drivers do you think will be stars of the future?

Well Di Resta already is a "star", so he doesn't really count. Nasr and Vergne though are certainly hot talents right now.

The American Alex Rossi is at the top of my list. It's not a question of if, but when.

Hmm, Rossi seems decent, not sure he is hot stuff. He needs to win FR 3.5.

Brundles son perhaps?

No chance.

Yes, almost certainly will be heading to F1 test drives.

Nicolas Hamilton in maybe 10 years time?

Best he can get now is top sports car or touring car drives. He's too old and inexperienced to make it in open-wheel. He's also only competed in what, 4 races? While he should be commended for his spirit and determination to take part in a sport he loves, thats all that should be said. Suggesting him for F1 drives is rediculous and only serves to overblow what is simply a nice triumph, nothing more.
Talking up Nick only hurts his reputation, not helps. Support him by all means, but don't exaggerate.

Max Chilton might get there.

Only on his family's money. He doesn't seem anything super-special to me.

Despite what I've put above in response to each quote, any of them could get to F1. Why? Because motorsport is an expensive sport, the drivers that make it to the top do so with a mixture of skill, luck and good financial backing. Thats not to say all are pay-drivers, but if you can't find the sponsors to pay for the F3 and GP2 drives, you can't pay for testing to get the practice. And without practice, you can never hope to beat those who can get it.
I personally think drivers like Alex Brundle, Max Chilton, etc are nothing really special, but they could potentially get F1 drives simply because they found the backing (although in Chilton's case, backing is assured).
There is also the obvious points to be made about success in lower series doesn't always translate to F1 or even GP2. Famous examples being Kamui Kobayashi and Nelson Piquet Jr.

Tio Ellinas and Tom Blomqvist are the drivers that have caught my eye of recent times. I've been following Josh Hill's career so far and he seems better than Damon but I'm not so sure he is hot stuff, certainly will get somewhere in motorsport though.

2014 is so far away, its difficult to predict which drivers will survive the motorsport ladder and which drivers will talk to the right people and land the lucky test drive. A lot also depends on the various young driver programmes going around now; Jules Bianchi (Ferrari), Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber), Marcus Ericsson (Mercedes), Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) and Jean-Eric Vergne (Red Bull) are almost certainly going to get more and more test drives and general F1 experience. One of these drivers will definitely get a chance.

Back