Stars Of The Future: Who do you think will be lining up on the F1 grid by 2014/15?

• Thread starter adam46
  • 101 comments
Teams ideally want to pick the driver who has both skill and money, and these do exist, drivers without the money but with skills also secure drives still. So therefore you are not guaranteed a seat simply because you have money. Otherwise Sauber wouldn't have Perez in the seat, they would have promoted Max Chilton.

Not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying Max Chilton is more talented than Perez or that he has deeper pockets than Perez?

His sponsors have deeper pocktes.

What do pepole make of Robert Wickens? He seems to have a fair amount of talent.

I was actually thinking about him the other day. It seems he's the type of driver who has talent, but is a little too combative with others at times (I say this because of him getting fired mid-way through last year after allegedly getting into a punch-up with his team owner).

As of the moment, no one in the lower formulae have really caught my eyes and scream "I'm going to be in F1 i 2 years". Besides, with the way things are right now, it seems that if you have the money and a super liscence you can get into Formula One...Though, I have to say it's not nearly as bad as it was 10-15 years ago.

Though, I have to say it's not nearly as bad as it was 10-15 years ago.

Yeah I know what you mean,

I was watching an adelaide race form 90-93 era and this one guy kept getting in the way. Murray Walker nearley exploded from what I could tell. :)

I was watching an adelaide race form 90-93 era and this one guy kept getting in the way. Murray Walker nearley exploded from what I could tell. :)

I believe you are talking about Olivier Grouillard. Murray said "surprise, surprise, it's Olivier Grouillard".

I believe you are talking about Olivier Grouillard. Murray said "surprise, surprise, it's Olivier Grouillard".

That's the one!

Yeah...For an example, there were something like 26-28 seats in Formula One in 1994, but that year a total of 46 drivers competed in the World Championship!:crazy::crazy:

No wonder some call '94 "The year of the Pay-Driver"...

Not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying Max Chilton is more talented than Perez or that he has deeper pockets than Perez?

The point was that there are several "pay drivers" about and they have more than simply money to choose between them.

A warning to all Australian fans: reports are circulating that Daniel Ricciardo will be replacing Narain Karthikeyan at the British Grand Prix. So expect lots of incessant nattering from The Morons on OneHD if this is true.

I think I'll wait for official confirmation myself, though.

A warning to all Australian fans: reports are circulating that Daniel Ricciardo will be replacing Narain Karthikeyan at the British Grand Prix. So expect lots of incessant nattering from The Morons on OneHD if this is true.

I think I'll wait for official confirmation myself, though.

I would rather see him in the Toro Rosso, which I beleive is his current team. He does look like a hot talent.

I was going to mention Nyck De Vries given his skill and backing, beaten to that one though!

Tio Elinas has got a mention as well, but no one has mentioned Alex Lynn who is cleaning up the races this year in formula renault 2.0 GB? Ricciardo is good, would like to see him move up to F1 but not sure what is stopping him so far?

Usually you would look at the GP2 field and pick a handful of names there that could move up and fight for the F1 world championship with a top team, but not sure any of them would be able to this year... Romain Grosjean had a shot and didn't really ever stand out from the crowd, despite having a "decent" Renault beneath him.

No more than there is at Hispania?
Apparently not, since the talk is that he'll go to Hispania. After all, on paper both Tonio Liuzzi and Narain Karthikeyan might have finished three laps down in Valencia, but on-track, Karthikeyan was dangerously close to being lapped by Liuzzi.

Not to mention he is signed as Toro Rosso reserve driver and is better than Buemi.
Yes, he is a Toro Rosso reserve. However, Toro Rosso evidently feel that Buemi and Alguersuari are still good enough to keep within the team and so have brokered this deal for Ricciardo with a generous contribution to Hispania.

For all we know, Silverstone will just be a race audition for Ricciardo: he races for Hispania for one Grand Prix, and then gets a Toro Rosso drive at the Nurburgring if he impressed at Silverstone.

Do not want.

I literally have no idea where this Daniel Riccardo kid came from, why on earth does he deserve to replace any of the drivers on the STR lineup? Buemi and Alguersuari are, though a bit mistake prone sometimes, especially the former, a good lineup that will bring home the points. What does Riccardo have that these 2 don't? It pains me to see STR talking about replacing one of their drivers with this guy who hasn't done anything special rather than being within a tenth of Vettel's pole time in the young drivers test. It only helps to prove that STR is the worst place to have a F1 career, because you will just never be able to prosper, the team will eventually get tired of you, and you will get replaced, unless your name is Sebastian Vettel.

And now he's going to replace Karthikeyan. Unless he's bringing in money, I don't see this as a good idea. Nevermind Karthikeyan's poor effort in Valencia, that was an all round poor race for HRT, probably their worst race since Bahrain last year. For most of the season, Narain has been reasonably close to Liuzzi, given him not being in F1 in 5 years. And his experience will move HRT forward in development of the car, they don't need a noob who doesn't know the car yet, a car which is tricky to drive, to risk running up repair bills.

Do not want.

I literally have no idea where this Daniel Riccardo kid came from, why on earth does he deserve to replace any of the drivers on the STR lineup? And now he's going to replace Karthikeyan.

For most of the season, Narain has been reasonably close to Liuzzi,

On the whole this season, The STR drivers have been average. There is far more talent waiting in the wings who are potentially better.

And Karthikeyan is not close to Liuzzi. Liuzzi seems to be out-qualifying one of more of the Virgins this season, whereas NK is almost consistantly P24.

Ricciardo isn't a 'noob' (why do people use that word?), he's tested and driven an F1 car quite a few times, and is probably a safer pair of hands than NK.

Last edited:
And Karthikeyan is not close to Liuzzi. Liuzzi seems to be out-qualifying one of more of the Virgins this season, whereas NK is almost consistantly P24.

Its a shame the battle at the back isn't covered more closely, with Hispania being ahead of Virgin it seems now, and Lotus trying to claim "midfield" recognition.

I thought Toro Rosso would be the surprise package this year following pre season test results, maybe this was Daniel's input to the car punching above its weight? I certainly would have put them ahead of Sauber and Williams, but they seem to be Lotus' closest target.

I thought Toro Rosso would be the surprise package this year following pre season test results, maybe this was Daniel's input to the car punching above its weight?
That's incredibly unlikely. Ricciardo is a test driver, and Alguersuari and Buemi have been racing for the team for at least eighteen months. Both of them on their own have far more knowledge and experience of the sport than Ricciardo. Ricciardo might provide feedback about the car, but the notion that he and he alone can develop the car to be a midfield contender without a single Grand Prix weekend - much less a race - to his credit is ridiculous.

May have misunderstood, but I was commenting on the pre season test results and how the car was at the sharp end of the times. I thought it was because this years car was good (with help from big brother team) but since it was Ricciardo driving, its possible that he was pushing the car further up the order to enhance his reputation. Not a lot can ever be read from the test session times in those tests though as teams will be experimenting with different fuel runs, aero tests, long tyre runs, race simulations, shakedown tests or just plain "sandbagging" to hide true pace, and the times just happen as a consequence.

This is in the same way that Sauber looked competitive last year in pre season testing but it is now clear they were qualifying runs in the hope of securing sponsorship deals.

Before this thread was dug up (which I am happy about, I was wondering if there was a thread like this around), I saw some people mention a couple of drivers.

Tom Blomqvist is one name that I saw a couple of times. Youngest ever winner of Formula Renault UK, pretty impressive when you look at the names of those who have done it before him, Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikonnen. He is now in German F3 and is doing OK for his rookie season. Usually outpacing his teammate and scoring two poles and a race win. However he is being outshone by the class of the field, another rookie, Richie Stanaway, who was the winner of the German Formula BMW last year. So obviously he knows all the tracks. I think Toms plan is to use the German F3 as a practice year for F3 Euroseries or GP3. This is because unlike the two latter championships, German F3 allows for unlimited in season testing, which as someone said before, is invaluable. However, it is also very expensive and Tom, (and other drivers of course) do not have the backing to get to test as much as they want, so end up getting beaten by guys who have the deeper pockets. I hope he can turn his season around, it shouldnt be that hard for him to get some money.

Someone also mentioned Josh Hill, I dont think he will get very far. Sure he has a famous name but so do a lot of people and it only gets them so far. He ran the Toyota Racing Series down here in NZ and did pretty averagely I think. He was really outclassed by the next driver I think is going places, Mitch Evans.

Mitch won the TRS this season, and the NZ Grand Prix. to make him the youngest ever Grand Prix winner, at 16. Granted the NZ GP is one of only two non World Championship GPs, the other being Macau. He also came second in his rookie year in Australian F3, despite missing two rounds, IIRC, to test cars in Europe. He is now leading the GP3 series after winning from pole to flag in Catalunya, and coming on the podium in Valencia and fourth in race two. He has finished in the points in 5/6 races, which, considering as they only give out points to 8th in race 1 and 6th in race two, out of 30 cars, is pretty good. He is also backed by Mark Webber, although, interestingly, isnt backed by Red Bull, unlike his MW Arden teammate Lewis Williamson, who finished behind Blomqvist in his second year in FR UK, the series that Tom won in his rookie year. He also came behind Blomqvist in one of his appearances in the NEZ FR series, where he won two races and finished third in the series, despite only competing in three rounds.

On the whole this season, The STR drivers have been average. There is far more talent waiting in the wings who are potentially better.

Ricciardo isn't a 'noob' (why do people use that word?), he's tested and driven an F1 car quite a few times, and is probably a safer pair of hands than NK.

Torro Rosso is a team that's meant to be a Red Bull B-team and no more, so Red Bull doesn't inject much effort into STR, so they are unable to prosper. I think Buemi and Alguersuari are doing well considering that they have the slowest midfield car, Williams seem to have sorted themselves out and are now back where they were in 2010, ahead of Force India, so that leaves STR at the back, ahead of the Lotii etc. They don't deserve to be treated as average, and there is NOTHING that says that Daniel will be able to do better than either of them. Jamie is 20, he's still very young and gets better race after race, Buemi is also doing better than ever.

And about Narain, the guy hasn't been in F1 since 2005, and is now having to re-learn the tracks and learn new ones. He hasn't been at Valencia, ever, for example. And in qualifying, he has still managed to often come within half a second or less to Liuzzi, and even he has been able to outqualify a Virgin. And another thing, Narain hasn't crashed this season, at all, which is good considering the fact that that HRT has relatively low downforce and so is quite unstable at times. Handing the keys to a rookie with relatively little experience in F1, and none in the car that's unstable to drive is a gamble, one that HRT shouldn't take. They are better off with experience to help develop the team and move forward, they don't really need pay drivers as much anymore, as their budget is bigger than before, and they are on stable ground this year, unlike 2010. And through Narain, they get both experience and money.

Torro Rosso is a team that's meant to be a Red Bull B-team and no more, so Red Bull doesn't inject much effort into STR, so they are unable to prosper. I think Buemi and Alguersuari are doing well considering that they have the slowest midfield car, Williams seem to have sorted themselves out and are now back where they were in 2010, ahead of Force India, so that leaves STR at the back, ahead of the Lotii etc. They don't deserve to be treated as average, and there is NOTHING that says that Daniel will be able to do better than either of them. Jamie is 20, he's still very young and gets better race after race, Buemi is also doing better than ever.

And about Narain, the guy hasn't been in F1 since 2005, and is now having to re-learn the tracks and learn new ones. He hasn't been at Valencia, ever, for example. And in qualifying, he has still managed to often come within half a second or less to Liuzzi, and even he has been able to outqualify a Virgin. And another thing, Narain hasn't crashed this season, at all, which is good considering the fact that that HRT has relatively low downforce and so is quite unstable at times. Handing the keys to a rookie with relatively little experience in F1, and none in the car that's unstable to drive is a gamble, one that HRT shouldn't take. They are better off with experience to help develop the team and move forward, they don't really need pay drivers as much anymore, as their budget is bigger than before, and they are on stable ground this year, unlike 2010. And through Narain, they get both experience and money.

Im pretty sure Jaime is 21 now, I think his birthday is around the 20th of March.

Not to mention he is signed as Toro Rosso reserve driver and is better than Buemi.

That's a ridiculous statement. What proof do you have of this? Buemi is in his third full season of F1 and has far more experience than Ricciardo.

I thought Toro Rosso would be the surprise package this year following pre season test results, maybe this was Daniel's input to the car punching above its weight?

Another ridiculous statement. Ricciardo's not even made his debut yet, and some people already think he's the best thing since sliced bread. Give it time before making such claims.

That's incredibly unlikely. Ricciardo is a test driver, and Alguersuari and Buemi have been racing for the team for at least eighteen months. Both of them on their own have far more knowledge and experience of the sport than Ricciardo. Ricciardo might provide feedback about the car, but the notion that he and he alone can develop the car to be a midfield contender without a single Grand Prix weekend - much less a race - to his credit is ridiculous.

Thank you.

Tom Blomqvist is one name that I saw a couple of times. Youngest ever winner of Formula Renault UK, pretty impressive when you look at the names of those who have done it before him, Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikonnen.

Lewis and Kimi competed in arguably more competitive seasons though, Tom had a much smaller competitive field last year.
Though I still agree and think Tom should go far.

Someone also mentioned Josh Hill, I dont think he will get very far. Sure he has a famous name but so do a lot of people and it only gets them so far. He ran the Toyota Racing Series down here in NZ and did pretty averagely I think. He was really outclassed by the next driver I think is going places, Mitch Evans.

Tom also has a famous name..unless everyone has forgotten the original "Stig"?

Josh hasn't won anything outright (championship-wise) yet, but he doesn't necessarily need to (though it obviously helps a lot). He just needs to be a front-runner and have consistent decent seasons. For the most part he has done this and his current rookie season in FR UK has been ok though off the pace.
Josh is very much like his father and has flashes of speed and some brilliant races from time to time. He isn't amazing at all and it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't make it to the top, but it would be equally unsurprising if he did.

I didn't follow his brief trip to the NZ series in the winter but I believe it was also a rookie year for him? He wouldn't have known any of the tracks.

I've followed him since Ginetta Juniors and he always so far been average in rookie seasons and a regular podium-finisher in his second seasons. I think its best just to say he is good but not brilliant.
There is certainly more than just a name there, but yes he is so far average.

The drivers who have been in the same seasons as Josh, Scott Pye and Tio Ellinas have been very impressive though.

I also agree on the crazy Ricciardo fandom - completely unfounded as far as F1 goes just yet. Vergne is a just as tempting choice.

Ardius
Lewis and Kimi competed in arguably more competitive seasons though, Tom had a much smaller competitive field last year.
Though I still agree and think Tom should go far.

Tom also has a famous name..unless everyone has forgotten the original "Stig"?

Josh hasn't won anything outright (championship-wise) yet, but he doesn't necessarily need to (though it obviously helps a lot). He just needs to be a front-runner and have consistent decent seasons. For the most part he has done this and his current rookie season in FR UK has been ok though off the pace.
Josh is very much like his father and has flashes of speed and some brilliant races from time to time. He isn't amazing at all and it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't make it to the top, but it would be equally unsurprising if he did.

I didn't follow his brief trip to the NZ series in the winter but I believe it was also a rookie year for him? He wouldn't have known any of the tracks.

I've followed him since Ginetta Juniors and he always so far been average in rookie seasons and a regular podium-finisher in his second seasons. I think its best just to say he is good but not brilliant.
There is certainly more than just a name there, but yes he is so far average.

The drivers who have been in the same seasons as Josh, Scott Pye and Tio Ellinas have been very impressive though.

I also agree on the crazy Ricciardo fandom - completely unfounded as far as F1 goes just yet. Vergne is a just as tempting choice.

I knew someone would pull me up on the name thing. Of course, 1984 world rally champion.

To be fair the tracks we have here aren't really the most challenging. (I have driven a few of them myself) most are under 1:30 which is short for a medium speed formula car like the Toyota. When you consider that a GP3 lap around Valencia takes nearly 2 minutes. The field was quite competitive this season though. Alex Lynn also raced a couple of rounds if not the whole season.

Back