Statistical anomalies in motorsports.

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 311 comments
Is Red Bull-Renault the only customer team to beat the works team to the constructors' title?
I'd say no, McLaren was still the Mercedes works team in 2009 when Brawn took the title with customer engines.

I'd say no, McLaren was still the Mercedes works team in 2009 when Brawn took the title with customer engines.
Interesting point. I was taking it as either Mercedes GP team or nothing. They did have the exclusive contract for Mercedes for a long time but that's like Benetton having the "works" Ford contract from 1989-94 and other teams like Jordan, Minardi, Footwork and so on having "customer" engines but Benetton wasn't Ford Grand Prix Racing. And neither was Stewart who became the "works" Ford team in 1997 until Ford actually bought the team for 2000.

McLaren was the de facto Mercedes team but not de jure. So technically no but I see your point of view.

1700993145195.jpeg

Pic and Leclerc

A BTCC odd one.

The series has points not just overall drivers, independents, and teams, but independent teams as well. Due to the BTCC system of penalty points for exceeding a certain amount of engine changes per season (5 I believe, created in the early 00's to stop big budget factory teams creating Quali-spec super-engines), Welch Motorsport and drivers Ollie Jackson and Dan Welch achieved this rather bizarre set of statistics:

Overall (Out of 32)
28th Jackson 0 points.
32nd Welch -40 points.
Combined -40 points.

Overall Teams Championship (Out of 21)
21st with 0 points.

Independents Trophy (Out of 28)
26th Jackson 2 points
28th Welch -38 points
Combined -36 points.

Independent Teams Trophy (Out of 19)
19th 6 points

Incidentally Mark Howard finished 2016 36th/36th overall with -3 points!
We've also had Jade Edwards and Nick Halstead this year, -5 apiece, I believe Derek Palmer Jr ended up on -2 in 2015.

McLaren's consecutive F1 race start streak stands at 361, which they've achieved twice: from Belgium 1983 to Canada 2005, and France 2005 to Abu Dhabi 2023.

Roo
McLaren's consecutive F1 race start streak stands at 361, which they've achieved twice: from Belgium 1983 to Canada 2005, and France 2005 to Abu Dhabi 2023.
That's quite the coincidence that it lasted until the end of a season, to catch that figure whilst it's the same.

That's quite the coincidence that it lasted until the end of a season, to catch that figure whilst it's the same.
Yep. Obviously Red Bull and Williams share the current 361 streak (a record in Red Bull's case, not in Williams') but that McLaren's fits so neatly is delightful.

After 3 races in 2010, Felipe Massa led the championship and was the only driver to have scored 2 podiums, despite never winning a race after 2008. Also, the eventual champion and runner-up each had a win, a 4th and a non-score to their name. Not to the mention the eventual champion not leading the championship all season until the end of it.

Roo

Until 1987, Monaco only permitted 20 qualified starters, which doesn't seem all that weird in the last ten years. FIA used to have a rule of one car per tenth-of-a-mile of circuit, but was relaxed at the whims of race organizers.

It's funny how McLaren was actually pretty good in 1983, considering their power deficits to the turbo runners that year, but really dropped the ball in qualifying at the tightest circuits, even though those were the places where DFV/DFY-powered cars had their best achievements. Monaco was a fluke because rain washed out qualifying on the second day, though that happened at least once a year somewhere.

Before Monaco, they also did not compete at the 1982 San Marino GP (along with Williams, et al). Tyrrell was going to back out, but showed up anyway because their sponsors said they better race, since they were only there for Michele Alboreto. If the Ferrari drivers took each other out, he would have won that race after landing on the podium.

Last edited:
Back