• Okay

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Overhyped / Didn't add anything

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
United States
Texas
sandboxgod
So my buddy and I were talking bout making the leap to 3D sometime around Sept. I searched the site and found some GT5 3D threads. However, in particular, I wanted to gather opinions from folks that use steering wheels along with 3D.

ISR recently put up a 3d review of Nvidia 3d vision and 'Shaun' totally pimped it. These ISR guys keep making me want to spend money:

Anyway very keen on getting all the input I can. I will be playing GT5, iRacing, rFactor, & Dirt 3.

Copied my replies from the wheel thread about 3D over here with a few edits; thanks for creating the new thread.

Having set up several systems in 3D, from 60" DLP to 46" LED 3D to triple-screen with projectors, I have looked into this quite a bit. 3D for racing rocks (GT5 being the lesser quality 3D of the PC and console games that support it.) Speaking of consoles, I'm hoping Forza 4 comes w/ a 3D option like Black Ops does on the 360. Triple-screen 3D on that would be an awesome alterntive to 3D Vision Surround, which isn't without it's issues.

GT5 is fairly weak in 3D from the cockpit view on the Samsung. I have their high-end 46" 3D LED display now, sitting right in my face for a full immersion view. But it shows much more ghosting than PC sims did on the old DLP rear projection Mitsubishi I sold (was mostly using that Nvidia 3D Vision. It's the same monitor you see Townsend bell driving on in the above video.) Irony is I sold that since it looked crappy on GT5, but looked fantastic on the PC games! I think it was the fact that PS3 is limited to 720p in 3D.

Jury is still out on the LED but it seems to handle scaling up 720p in 3D better than the Mits did. It also worked much better than the Sony LED/LCD I first got a few weeks ago, that is so bad w/ ghosting I am going to return to Costco this weekend. You'd think Sony would sort out how to play 3D on their TV with their game, but it was quite a bit worse IMO than the Sammy! None of them execpt the DLP (on 1080p PC content) could hold a candle to 3D on a simple cheap 720p projector however. Since there is no scaling needed, 720p/120hZ 3D from the PS3 looks amazing on the projector too.

Here is my vid of the preliminary rough mock-up of triple-screen 3D with 3) 720p 3D projectors. Irony is they are only about $600 each, so probably cost less than some single 63" LED TVs or the big-boy 70"+ DLP RP sets, and have more screen area, pixels, and triple the FOV. Hoping to make more progress on this build soon, at which point I'll have to start a thread.

Last edited:
Another post from the original wheel thread that might be of interest:
Games (on a PS3 or 360 in 3D) are limited to 720p/60, whereas bluray movies run at 1080p/24 fps. It's HDMI's fault- you can't run 1080p at higher than 24 hz in stereo 3D over an HDMI 1.4 cable- it doesn't have the bandwidth. Games don't generally look good at only 24 frames a second but movies are fine. PC gets around this on desktop 3D monitors using dual-link DVI, and on consumer displays they have to use Nvidia 3DTV Play instead of 3D Vision, which is also limited to 720p/60 or 1080p/24. I ran my PC at 1080p on the old Mits DLP RP set since it supported "checkerboard", which alternates pixels in a way that it can cram that into standard bandwidth cables. Some Samsung owners have discovered you can do checkerboard on the 2010 model (and 7000/8000 series 2011 models only), but it requires a hack to the Nvidia software since they don't officially support those models @ anything more than 720p (or 1080 at 24 fps.)

Here is my vid of the preliminary rough mock-up of triple-screen 3D with 3) 720p 3D projectors. Irony is they are only about $600 each, so probably cost less than some single 63" LED TVs or the big-boy 70"+ DLP RP sets, and have more screen area, pixels, and triple the FOV. Hoping to make more progress on this build soon, at which point I'll have to start a thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNU6ITOfzV0

PS- sorry for the ignorance, how do I embed the video in the post like the SRT one you posted?

Yeah I was confused for awhile too until someone pointed me to the help: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138244

I'm bout to checkout your vid now. I would love to go triple screen setup 👍

Basically all you have to do is click the youtube button and put the letters from your link [YNU6ITOfzV0] inside like so

Ah sweet, F1 2010 in 3D. Thats a very awesome setup

sandboxgod
Yeah I was confused for awhile too until someone pointed me to the help: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138244

I'm bout to checkout your vid now. I would love to go triple screen setup 👍

Basically all you have to do is click the youtube button and put the letters from your link [YNU6ITOfzV0] inside like so

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNU6ITOfzV0">YouTube Link</a>

Ah sweet, F1 2010 in 3D. Thats a very awesome setup

Thanks!

I have a lot of interest in this as well guys, great to see a thread and someone who knows what they are talking about...

I personally dont think I would go for triple/screen 3D in monitors. My issue is I will game mostly on consoles. From what Ive read 3D is more beneficial on a bigger size screen.

Questions:
Can anyone confirm PS3 x 3 in 3D works and syncs with multiple screens but only one pair of glasses. Ive not read anywhere that GT5 supports multiscreens in 3D. Will this depend on the display used or for the glasses to sync in time with 3x displays? On PC of course this is handled with the drivers but on consoles?

Im considering the Optoma GT720 projector as it has a very short throw lens, 60" from approx 3ft distance. So ideal for a cockpit. This is also Nvidia compatible but can work with consoles using HDMI 3D adapters. For instance 3DXL from Optoma/Viewsonic.

Research I have done is that DLP technology has very little crosstalk issues that LED/LCD seem to be worst for depending on the model. Plasma also seems to has less crosstalk issues than LED/LCD. Of couse each type of technology has its own drawbacks but I think I could live more with colourwheel issues on DLP than crosstalk.

I would like the option to play GT5 FM4 in triple screens but then also have an option for single screen games on a large projector with 3D as well when available.

The model you see me using three of in that video is in fact a GT720. The center one is rear projected, as I like that setup of placing part of the screen below the wheel, looking through the wheel in the cockpit view to see the gauges, and sizing the display so it's about like real size. If I tried to do that with front projection my sitting position would block some of the image. The short throw of the GT720 allowed me to put it behind the rig in a corner of my basement, and it only takes a couple of feet to fill that sized screen.

I tried a 3D-XL adapter you talked about and traded it for a VIP Theater 3D adapter instead, as at the time the 3D-XL didn't support some content (I foget if it was top and bottom or side-by-side, but I believe in any case it's been sorted with a firmware update anyway.)

I don't have three PS3 consoles, only one, so sorry I can't confirm if they work triple-screen 3D or not. I'd like to find out myself, but am hoping FM4 will support side-by-side 3D like Black Ops does, since I do have three 360's in the house.

I'm making a demo portable rig (and will later be used for my son) with a single screen, and like I mentioned, crosstalk was worse on the first LED I chose, a 40" Sony, and better on the Samsung 7000 series 46". But it's still best on the projector. I've also tried an Acer 5360 on a larger screen and it looks great in 3D too.

If I were you and considering a GT720 I'd wait until August. Optoma has announced the GT750 which is like a 720 but also has HDMI 1.4 built-in, so no need for an expensive 3D adapter to make it work with consoles and cable boxes. It may not be directly 3D Vision compatible on the PC, but I'd guess a simple .inf file can be used to make the PC see it as a compatible model. I had to do this with the GT700/720, using the Acer .inf file did the trick.

Oh, also forgot to mention, using three consumer 3DTVs (like the Sony or Samsung) is a no-go for triple screen on a PC, at least with Nvidia. They don't support 3D Vision Surround with TVs, only projectors or 3D desktop monitors. I had originally hoped to use three Mits DLP RP sets, since they have very little bezel, or the LG LED display that has almost none, but they are not options for triple-screen.

I watched this ISR episode last week. It sounds fantastic! imho,ymmv

I finally convinced myself to go for a triple screen setup by the end of the year a few weeks before this ISR episode on 3D! haha

Maybe I will futureproof myself and buy three 3D monitors this year...
:dopey:

"mikemav"
Thanks for info on GT750, that could be the one.

Have you had X360 working in 3D with 3x displays 1x glasses?
Im concerned with the compatibility on consoles and multiscreens/displays.

Great setup you have too..
F1 2011 should be wicked and one to look forward too.

Whats in your opnion been the the best games in 3D.

Thanks for info on GT750, that could be the one.

Have you had X360 working in 3D with 3x displays 1x glasses?
Im concerned with the compatibility on consoles and multiscreens/displays.

Great setup you have too..

Thanks for the compliments- I'm reading your great thread on triple-screens now as I hadn't come across it before. Good stuff!

No, I have not tried triple-screen w/ the 360 since I'm not sure there are any 3D games that support it. The only one I have that works 3D on the 360 is Black Ops, and I am not aware of it being triple-screen compatible. I'd love to find out though. Or send me two PS3's and copies of GT5 and I'll be glad to try it out for you! You don't happen to be in the US near Washington DC, do you? We could arrange a test session if so.

Now I just need to motivate and find time to make my 80/20 extruded aluminum stand to hold the three projection screens and projector housings, and get it all sorted! I sometimes think I need an intern or apprentice to help me out (and said applicant gets to play with all the toys I've bought to boot!)

Sorry mike, Im in little ole "Norn Iron".
I dont think X360 or PS3 will have any games that support both triple screens and 3D.

Technically I think their is a limation of multiple screens on 1x set of glasses because each screen may use a slightly different frequency for each set of glases. While 1x display with multiple glasses isnt of course a problem as its a single frequency.

Would love to help out with your build plans and might get you into tactile perhaps.
Hey, lets be of help to each other...

I've read that, it's a sensationalist article just like his "games aren't art" rant. It reminds me of the guy in 'Mallrats' who couldn't see the sailboat in the stereogram... it just doesn't work the same for everyone. There's no irony in the fact that both Ebert and the guy who wrote the letter to him wear glasses, or that they're snobs.

No, I have not tried triple-screen w/ the 360 since I'm not sure there are any 3D games that support it. The only one I have that works 3D on the 360 is Black Ops, and I am not aware of it being triple-screen compatible.

Stereoscopic 3D support and official API is coming to Xbox developers in June 2011, I heard a little bird say.

As for the PS3x3, I can't say for sure, but it stands to reason that 3D would work with multi-monitors (though they'd have to be the same manufacturer, obviously). If GT is like Forza you could just turn on the MM support and see if the 3D option is still available.

And as for the best 3D games, so far the best one on PS3 I've played that's any good is Motorstorm Pacific Rift. Pain, GT5 and NBA2K were all disappointments in the 3D department... although I've since heard there's settings in GT5 or on TVs to make it better (have more depth).

Would love to help out with your build plans and might get you into tactile perhaps.
Hey, lets be of help to each other...
Tactile is covered my man, I currently run stereo buttkicker pro's under left and right thigh as well as six embedded transducers in the seat back and legs connected to an iVibe TFS2 (soon to be TFS3) On the PC w/ rFactor, there is an unbelievable plug in for the iVibe that tracks g-forces and rumble strips, etc.., so you really feel the side-to-side shift in the car pretty well. For consoles and other PC sims it uses stereo audio input for it's cues, and still does pretty well.

I use a Dolby Headphone processor to send audio to my headset and split that signal where you'd normally connect a pair of wired headphones to feed the tactile system. It's a nice mix of all 5.1 channels down to stereo to simplify the wiring and not lose any channels.

Questions

1. Have you tried Shift 2 PC with Nvision 3D yet? It looks like its not compatible.
2. I take it Xbox outputs to 1.4 HDMI since COD: Black Ops has 3d compatibility?
3. MY friend and I were thinking of using the new Sony 3dtv that releasing for the PS3. This should also work with NVIDIA 3dtv play I'm assuming?

Shift 2 did not work well w/ 3D Vision when I tried it (single screen, not tried triple.) Hoping for a patch. Shift 1 works well so it should be do-able if they get on it.

I do not think the 360 is technically 1.4, but it works in Black Ops in side-by-side mode much like Comcast's 1.3 cable boxes work in 3D. Since it's not 1.4 the display (or 3D adapter, for a projector) will not auto-sense this information and you need to select the side-by-side option in menus, or in my case a button on the 3D-VIP Theater adapter for my projector. Once that's set it works fine.

The new Sony monitor I'd guess should be HDMI 1.4 so therefore I'd assume it'll work with 3DTV Play. But keep in mind people report 3DTV Play doesn't look very good on 1080p monitors for gaming since it outputs 720p and therefore most displays introduce ugly scaling artifacts. What I'm going to try this weekend with my new Samsung LED is the "checkerboard" mode I used to use on a Mits DLP, which worked much better since it outputs 3D in 1080p. I need to enable a hack called "rollermod" posted by a user w/ a similar screen name on the Nvidia forums. That and the Samsung's are the only current flat panels which support checkerboard...

Tactile is covered my man, I currently run stereo buttkicker pro's under left and right thigh as well as six embedded transducers in the seat back and legs connected to an iVibe TFS2 (soon to be TFS3) On the PC w/ rFactor, there is an unbelievable plug in for the iVibe that tracks g-forces and rumble strips, etc.., so you really feel the side-to-side shift in the car pretty well. For consoles and other PC sims it uses stereo audio input for it's cues, and still does pretty well.

I use a Dolby Headphone processor to send audio to my headset and split that signal where you'd normally connect a pair of wired headphones to feed the tactile system. It's a nice mix of all 5.1 channels down to stereo to simplify the wiring and not lose any channels.

Ah so you have the Buttkickers running off seperate amps for proper L/R stereo effects? Which model of Buttkicker you using?
The TFS2 seems interesting and I seen the website before but never expected it to be that good? Will have to reasearch this "intellivibe"

I have two buttkicker "mini" LFE units like this bolted to the underside of the seat platform. For amps I built into the rig two mono sub amps to power those.

As for the TFS, wait until they start selling the TFS3. It's been dormant for several years, that development, and seemed they were about out of business for a while, but now have released the beta of the new unit and are upgrading us previous customers for no additional cost. It comes with a lot of capabilities software-wise beyond what I have now. You can read more about the development here and throughout that thread on their forums.

Copied my replies from the wheel thread about 3D over here with a few edits; thanks for creating the new thread.

Having set up several systems in 3D, from 60" DLP to 46" LED 3D to triple-screen with projectors, I have looked into this quite a bit. 3D for racing rocks (GT5 being the lesser quality 3D of the PC and console games that support it.) Speaking of consoles, I'm hoping Forza 4 comes w/ a 3D option like Black Ops does on the 360. Triple-screen 3D on that would be an awesome alterntive to 3D Vision Surround, which isn't without it's issues.

GT5 is fairly weak in 3D from the cockpit view on the Samsung. I have their high-end 46" 3D LED display now, sitting right in my face for a full immersion view. But it shows much more ghosting than PC sims did on the old DLP rear projection Mitsubishi I sold (was mostly using that Nvidia 3D Vision. It's the same monitor you see Townsend bell driving on in the above video.) Irony is I sold that since it looked crappy on GT5, but looked fantastic on the PC games! I think it was the fact that PS3 is limited to 720p in 3D.

Jury is still out on the LED but it seems to handle scaling up 720p in 3D better than the Mits did. It also worked much better than the Sony LED/LCD I first got a few weeks ago, that is so bad w/ ghosting I am going to return to Costco this weekend. You'd think Sony would sort out how to play 3D on their TV with their game, but it was quite a bit worse IMO than the Sammy! None of them execpt the DLP (on 1080p PC content) could hold a candle to 3D on a simple cheap 720p projector however. Since there is no scaling needed, 720p/120hZ 3D from the PS3 looks amazing on the projector too.

Not sure bout FM4. 3D just doesnt seem like a priority for Microsoft/Turn10. I think they rather push up Kinect.... Granted, I already have a kinect so can see myself messing with it

So if you had to choose between 3dtv or NVIDIA 3d PC-only which route would you go? Are you saying using those DVI ports I can run 1080p-3D at like 60fps, etc? Ah I think what you meant was a 1080p 3D screen looks worse due to upscaling- I see

The model you see me using three of in that video is in fact a GT720. The center one is rear projected, as I like that setup of placing part of the screen below the wheel, looking through the wheel in the cockpit view to see the gauges, and sizing the display so it's about like real size. If I tried to do that with front projection my sitting position would block some of the image. The short throw of the GT720 allowed me to put it behind the rig in a corner of my basement, and it only takes a couple of feet to fill that sized screen.

I tried a 3D-XL adapter you talked about and traded it for a VIP Theater 3D adapter instead, as at the time the 3D-XL didn't support some content (I foget if it was top and bottom or side-by-side, but I believe in any case it's been sorted with a firmware update anyway.)

I don't have three PS3 consoles, only one, so sorry I can't confirm if they work triple-screen 3D or not. I'd like to find out myself, but am hoping FM4 will support side-by-side 3D like Black Ops does, since I do have three 360's in the house.

I'm making a demo portable rig (and will later be used for my son) with a single screen, and like I mentioned, crosstalk was worse on the first LED I chose, a 40" Sony, and better on the Samsung 7000 series 46". But it's still best on the projector. I've also tried an Acer 5360 on a larger screen and it looks great in 3D too.

If I were you and considering a GT720 I'd wait until August. Optoma has announced the GT750 which is like a 720 but also has HDMI 1.4 built-in, so no need for an expensive 3D adapter to make it work with consoles and cable boxes. It may not be directly 3D Vision compatible on the PC, but I'd guess a simple .inf file can be used to make the PC see it as a compatible model. I had to do this with the GT700/720, using the Acer .inf file did the trick.

Interesting, I never thought about a projector. I'm going to have to decide how far I want to go with this. I am thinking I will just go with a single 3D LED for now. Maybe later prices will drop and I can run 3. But that will cost a lot of money and wife will surely notice all that fortune getting sunk into 3 3D screens :scared:

Darn 3 x 600 is getting up there! Thats a great setup though for real, something to think about.

Playing this game in 3d changed my whole view on 3d tv's.

I used to think the whole 3d thing was just a gimmick but with this game it is really insane. The depth with the in car view is incredible, it really feels like your looking out over the hood and like the gauges are right there in front of you. Looking around the interior is unbelievable, every detail stands out like your really in the game. When you spin out the dirt and grass being kicked up is also amazing. Using the g27 with a 55" 3d tv is by far one of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had. My parents have the 3d tv and I will now buy the biggest possible 3d tv when I move out shortly.

For other games it is alright, still pretty cool, but not the same level of awesomeness as with gt5.

General Discussion:
The whole 3D topic is always very much varied by peoples different experiences and opinions. It was the same with "Avatar" some were blew away others thought meh nothing special. That is 3D though, if you do like it and have enjoyed past films then chances are in gaming you will also appreciate or like it too.

I think that aspect of 3D will never change and isnt soley down to just movies. Some people perhaps expect 3D to always be about pop out effects when really their is much more to it than that.

Personally Ive found it hard to come across a good thread related to 3D Gaming were people discuss "What / How / Why" 3D is so good and examples of what games or effects in games particulary on consoles stand out as really cool.

I have found that I can read one website review of GT5 in 3D claiming to be awesome yet another stating it has very little effect or difference to the gameplay. The only way seems to be trying it out ourselves. It seems more often than not GT5 with its setup features can be hard to get the best from your display. Also crosstalk has definately been an issue on many LED/LCD first gen and 2nd gen 3DTV models.

Additionally from my own reading of forums like "AVF or AVS" quite often I have read comments of people that have been early adopters buying a 50" 3DTV and then in getting a budget 720p 3D Projector stating that the TV is nowhere near as good. I can only take from this the seating distance/screen size ratio is more important with 3D and you want to be getting as big of a screen presence as possible yet one that is not straining your eyes . This of course could be very different depending on the instalation. With a 3D monitor likely to be very close to the user or a 50"-65" 3DTV being much further away. Is it then possible a 24"/27" 3D Monitor installation at a much closer viewing distance could give better 3D impression?

One thing is for certain that "3D" is not for going away it is not a "FAD" that was only going to last for a couple of summers as a gimmick to promote movies. Companies have invested too much into it as a technology and as we will see much more 3D content will leep coming. Unfortunately it has been marketed in a way that has led to confusion and not all forms of 3D techniques are equal so someone can experience 3D that is not true STEREOSCOPIC 3D which should give the best results right?

Sonys New 24" 3DTV (Announced @E3)
This was listed to appear later in the year and come in a bundle package with Resistance 3 inc HDMI cable for $499. Sony announced it will also feature a mode to allow two gamers with seperate glasses to see individual screens for split screen gaming.

The question I have is surely that feature will work on all 3DTV displays that support PS3 Stereoscopic HDMI Standard? It more than likely will require a new firmware update and games that just output the split screen as the two seperate L/R fields.

Now $499 and allow what $60 for the Game + $5 for the HDMI cable means your shelling out approx $430 + for the 24" display.
Considering the previously mentioned Optoma GT750 projector will ship at $799 it makes you wonder really just how good the projector price is and that it will also support Nvidia 3D Vision.

I think I know where I would put my money and besides the 3D projector is so small and light it is very easily transported to different rooms or friends houses. For my own d.i.y cockpit I certainly will consider one and aim to get something like a 60" image from approx only 36" seating distance.

Mike, one further question have you tried creating a curved screen to project onto?

Last edited:
So if you had to choose between 3dtv or NVIDIA 3d PC-only which route would you go? Are you saying using those DVI ports I can run 1080p-3D at like 60fps, etc? Ah I think what you meant was a 1080p 3D screen looks worse due to upscaling- I see

Interesting, I never thought about a projector. I'm going to have to decide how far I want to go with this. I am thinking I will just go with a single 3D LED for now. Maybe later prices will drop and I can run 3. But that will cost a lot of money and wife will surely notice all that fortune getting sunk into 3 3D screens :scared:

To run 1080p in 3D on one screen, you can use DVI on desktop monitors made for 3D (up to 27" size max currently), or on very limited models of monitors you can use "checkerboard" w/ HDMI- this is all via PC, which is the only method for 1080p 3D games now (at above 24 fps.) You are right, 720p is scaled on almost all 3D capable displays except 720p projectors.

To run 1080p well in 3D on one screen, let alone 3, you need a pretty beefy PC. Maybe Nvidia GTX460 minimum, 570 would be a better choice. To do triple screens, multiple graphics card (SLI) is a requirement. Dual GTX570 or 580 I'd suggest, and that gets very pricey and finicky to set up.

PS-on your thought about getting one 3D LED TV for now, and maybe expanding to 3: be careful. Triple screen is not currently supported for 3DTVs, and on a single screen with almost all 3DTVs you're limited to using Nvidia's 3DTV Play and not 3D Vision, so it's limited to 720p (or 1080p/24, which is too slow a frame rate to make most games comfortable to play I'd guess. Have not tried it myself.)

I'm going to give it a go configuring my new Samsung LED for either 3DTV Play, or ideally that rollermod hack to enable checkerboard to run it in 1080, since my monitor happens to support checkerboard content. I'll report back when I have more info.

The question I have is surely that feature will work on all 3DTV displays that support PS3 Stereoscopic HDMI Standard?

Don't count on it, Vizio has their own version of this, Toshiba has their own version of this, and now Sony has their own version of this. Also Sony' patent strictly involves glasses and a proprietary signal, the other two do not. Sony is notorious for not playing nice, just look at every single format and technology they've created in the past, it's either had outrageous licensing fees or was made to compete unnecessarily with something already being mass-licensed. Not hating on Sony, I buy their stuff, it just is what it is.

Also, there's a real cheap Optoma 3D projector on Amazon for $500 (no glasses though). I have a non-3D Optoma projector that's better than it's predecessor so add another recommendation for that. TVs are generally better, but projectors are something else if you have a large, dark room.

As for people who hate on 3D, people like Roger Ebert are just trolls, constantly trying to turn their opinions into objective fact to make headlines. Pay them no mind; if even just you alone enjoy it then they're already wrong.

Oh, and also, there really just aren't enough 3D games (at least on consoles) to critique right now. I have a 3DS and it's pretty neat if you're really into 3D. The AR stuff is particularly amazing. Pilotwings and Ghost Recon aren't exactly jaw-dropping, though. 3D Mario Kart looks pretty great and some of the other 3D E3 videos show promise.

Last edited:
General Discussion:
The whole 3D topic is always very much varied by peoples different experiences and opinions. It was the same with "Avatar" some were blew away others thought meh nothing special. That is 3D though, if you do like it and have enjoyed past films then chances are in gaming you will also appreciate or like it too.

I think that aspect of 3D will never change and isnt soley down to just movies. Some people perhaps expect 3D to always be about pop out effects when really their is much more to it than that.

Personally Ive found it hard to come across a good thread related to 3D Gaming were people discuss "What / How / Why" 3D is so good and examples of what games or effects in games particulary on consoles stand out as really cool.

I have found that I can read one website review of GT5 in 3D claiming to be awesome yet another stating it has very little effect or difference to the gameplay. The only way seems to be trying it out ourselves. It seems more often than not GT5 with its setup features can be hard to get the best from your display. Also crosstalk has definately been an issue on many LED/LCD first gen and 2nd gen 3DTV models.

Additionally from my own reading of forums like "AVF or AVS" quite often I have read comments of people that have been early adopters buying a 50" 3DTV and then in getting a budget 720p 3D Projector stating that the TV is nowhere near as good. I can only take from this the seating distance/screen size ratio is more important with 3D and you want to be getting as big of a screen presence as possible yet one that is not straining your eyes . This of course could be very different depending on the instalation. With a 3D monitor likely to be very close to the user or a 50"-65" 3DTV being much further away. Is it then possible a 24"/27" 3D Monitor installation at a much closer viewing distance could give better 3D impression?

One thing is for certain that "3D" is not for going away it is not a "FAD" that was only going to last for a couple of summers as a gimmick to promote movies. Companies have invested too much into it as a technology and as we will see much more 3D content will leep coming. Unfortunately it has been marketed in a way that has led to confusion and not all forms of 3D techniques are equal so someone can experience 3D that is not true STEREOSCOPIC 3D which should give the best results right?

Sonys New 24" 3DTV (Announced @E3)
This was listed to appear later in the year and come in a bundle package with Resistance 3 inc HDMI cable for $499. Sony announced it will also feature a mode to allow two gamers with seperate glasses to see individual screens for split screen gaming.

The question I have is surely that feature will work on all 3DTV displays that support PS3 Stereoscopic HDMI Standard? It more than likely will require a new firmware update and games that just output the split screen as the two seperate L/R fields.

Now $499 and allow what $60 for the Game + $5 for the HDMI cable means your shelling out approx $430 + for the 24" display.
Considering the previously mentioned Optoma GT750 projector will ship at $799 it makes you wonder really just how good the projector price is and that it will also support Nvidia 3D Vision.

I think I know where I would put my money and besides the 3D projector is so small and light it is very easily transported to different rooms or friends houses. For my own d.i.y cockpit I certainly will consider one and aim to get something like a 60" image from approx only 36" seating distance.

Mike, one further question have you tried creating a curved screen to project onto?

Good summary, 3D is polarizing for sure (geeky 3D-related pun only semi-intended!) Not everyone gets it or feels it's right for them, and that's fine. One area I've found it excels in particular is racing games, when done right. I've been so busy building my setups that I have let my iRacing subscription lapse, but it was awesome in 3D from what I recall. Also rFactor, an aging game graphically, really comes alive in 3D. NFS Shift is amazing in 3D. With any of these, cockpit view, the sense of distance, looking into a corner, and seeing the competition around you feels real if set up right. Adds very much to the experience.

I considered a curved screen but it's expensive to purchase and have not figured out an easy DIY method, and I don't think compared to 3 screens, especially without bezels (a luxury of using a triple-projector setup), I'll bet when I'm done it's surrounding you to the point where you forget the screens are even there.

Here is one that seems to really be done right- check this out from someone else I ran across doing something similar on YouTube, though not in 3D. In the first video you can see w/ an open-wheeler and lit up room, the screens are there and well visible, but see what happens when he loads up a tin top car with full cockpit- now imagine that in 3D and you'll see what I'm getting at. Here are the videos (these are not mine, I just ran across them and wanted to share):

On the Sony 24" 3D announced with the 2-player views, that should be doable with any HDMI 1.4 3D monitor using the side-by-side setting, IF you get those Sony glasses which enable the special mode to activate only left or right views independently. The trick is getting the Sony glasses to work with other brands (if you so desire.) May work or may not depending on circumstances and what display you're using.

I need a better paying job.............. 1 37" LED LCD NON 3D TV ain't making the grade anymore LOL. Now, please do not bash me too hard for the wire mess. This pic was taken the FIRST day I had it all set-up. It is MUCH cleaner now lol. BUT, I would like to hear what you mates would suggest as to how I should set up a 3 screen 3D set-up based on that room. I am thinking projectors, but I do prefer TV's. Any insight is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Gamingset-up.jpg

Back