Steering wheel choice , please help !!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 43 comments
  • 3,095 views

Nicksfix

OSU Buckeyes baby !!!
Premium
Messages
5,230
United States
Buckeye Nation
I know there are threads galore throughout this forum about steering wheels (but I am looking for specifics only,so please MODS, do not close as of yet), but what I am mainly interested in is this, if you had to go out and buy another wheel , would you buy the same one or move to a different model ? The reason I ask this is that I am considering buying a wheel , and I hear so much about the G25 , the DFP ,the DGFT ,etc.etc.etc. ( pros and cons). I play only two racing games ,all the Gran turismo's , and F1CE , all my other games I am content using a controller. I hear one wheel is good for the GT games , but not good for F1CE and vice versa ,I am getting confused on which one to consider,it's not like I can go out and test these items in a store,so if anyone has a wheel and plays both of theses titles ,any help would really be appreciated as far as a good all around choice would be, thanks guys , 👍


please can we keep this to choice matters only concerning pros and cons, appreciate it , thanks again.

please keep in mind these two titles ,all the GT games,and F1CE
 
Last edited:
G25 with out a question of a doubt. the petals are ten times better than the plastic cheapos of the dfp and dfgt. Shifter is better , and has real paddles

If your going to spend money on a wheel go g25 its the best u can get for a resonable price... other wise u will regret it in the future


I included this video to show u how cheap and crappy the dfp is compaired to the g25. u can decide for your self lol

NOTICE this is not my video i found it on youtube ;)

 
Last edited:
I think the Fanatec 911 or a DFP/DFGT. I think the Fanatec is much better than any other steering wheel, but if its too much than DFP/DFGT is your best bet.

I've had a DFP for 3+ years now, and still work great. (Except somethings wrong with the pedals.)

(Whoo 100 post!)
 
if doubting between a dft and dfgt,the dfgt is ofcourse the best option by far.....want to spend more cash,g25 will do the job...



spyrrari.
 
I bought the DFGT for a couple reasons.1) Price.I had a smaller buget so the DFGT won out.Close to a $200 difference.2)This bieng my first wheel,I wanted something that was very common in my area.There is alot of support for the DFGT but only a few carry the G25.Yes I know that they are from the same company, but, you know.
If I was going to replace my wheel and money was no object(I have 6 kids)the G25 would be my choice.But I have no problem with getting another DFGT as it has served me well.:)
 
I have both the DFP (several, actually), and a G25. The GT5 is by far the smoother, quieter, and better in almost every way, as has been mentioned above. The DFP is certainly still fun though, so if you need to go budget then you'll still get a decent product.

The one considerable disadvantage of the G25 is that you have zero reachable buttons while driving. There are two little red ones which are on the wheel, but unless your body is wildly different than any other human (say, and extra set of thumbs growing out of your wrist), you simply won't be able to use them while driving. I just today modified my wheel so I can activate those buttons with my thumbs, but whoever designed it in the first place was obviously an idiot.

If this is something you see yourself enjoying for years to come, then save up and splurge on the G25, it will be worth it.
 
Last edited:
G25 sure Fanatec has bit better force feedback, but G25 has really good BUILD quality and made for the hardcore sim racers. And you will save money on G25 too.
If even G25 too expensive go with the new Logitech GT DFP wheel.
 
Well having finally ordered the G25 by none other than the ledgendary LOGITECH crew, I would say that after VERY careful consideration (Months of analysis), I have determined the G25 to be well worth the extra bucks. Like seriously if you want to get a wheel for extra realism then "the G25 is second to none". To show you the possiblity's of the G25 check this vid out by Mr Chillicoke::D
Also when purchasing a wheel you should also look at the Customer support, there's been a recent thread on GTP regarding Logitech's fantastic customer relations and serviced...truly amazing, this is something that really makes a brand very popular, very good reputation.
Here's to Logitech!!!;)👍
Peace,
Rusty*
 
Last edited:
It should be noted that Chili Coke's pedal set is *highly* modified. He can even heel-toe, which is absolutely impossible with adult-sized feet on the stock pedal set. I even have a hard time just doing left-foot braking on my G25 pedal set (which is modified for added resistance and added tilt, but which is otherwise pretty much stock). Unfortunately, like many controllers, the G25's pedal set is made for someone smaller than "normal North American male" size. Whether they have been designed for kids, or for a population which is generally smaller than we are, I don't know. Regardless, unless you are willing to do a LOT of modification, if you have average size North American male feet you'll find the pedal-set too small even in socks.
 
ok i am in the same boat as u my friend. i have been debating about my next wheel. i currently have a dfgt and it is great. however i am getting tired of the cheap feeling plastic. so there was obviously only one logical answer, the g25 right??? wrong. i chose the fanatec 911 turbo wheel. i love logitech and all but i think the 911 is a better wheel than the g25. the g25 is okay but it has some issues... the brake pedal is too soft, the wheel is thin, the wheel only has 2 true "buttons" on it, the shifter is flimsy, and the clutch was just a plain pedal with resistance. i know u can fix some of these (NIXIM brake mod and rubber bands on the shifter) but i want something that has all of those problems fixed already and i believe the 911 fixes all of them. now there is a few things you can complain about on the 911 wheel (not metal pedals for example) but not nearly enough to out way the pros. i dont personally have the wheel in hand but have watched and read every single review on the internet and i have used one personally before. i think its the better coice in my opinion but it all depends on taste. choosing the 911 does mean you are sacrificing all the gleaming aluminum and the giant paddles but you are gaining much more, you are gaining a more enjoyable racing experience. so theres my 2 cents on the subject and take it to mind when purchasing your new wheel. :)
 
panjandrum
It should be noted that Chili Coke's pedal set is *highly* modified.
yeah this is the reason why I put this:
...To show you the possiblity's of the G25...
The possibilites of rigging up something like this is an appealing feature of the G25, he's closin ghte gap to realism in the setup he has there.
But yeah as an o'out of the box' item the G25 is a...'VERY strong competitor'.
Cheer's,;)
Rusty*
 
The DFP (& DFGT) is an excellent wheel for the money, but if you're going to spend a lot of time using the wheel, it's worth spending the extra money for the G25: the gated shifter & clutch are nice additions, but even without out those features (not used in F1:CE), the steel & leather wrapped wheel & steel pedals + smoother FFB motors make it worth while.

As far as I'm concerned the G25 is great with both GT & F1:CE.

You will never regret spending the extra money for the G25, if you don't get it you will always wonder, "what if..."
 
The G25 is worth the premium. An extra button that mapped to the PS button would have been handy. The larger diameter wheel feels much more natural.

I was going to keep my two DFPs around for LAN parties, but I could not go back to them. The DFP pedals just go smoosh once you have gotten used to the G25.
 
Okay, I know this is getting boring, but: get the G25, you will not regret it. ;)
 
add me to the G25 list, when you use it you will be happy you spent the extra dollars
 
I think the G25 would be the wheel to have but I only have the Logitech driving Force GT because I couldn't afford the G25. The Driving Force GT is still a great wheel for the money though.
 
If you can afford one get the G25, It's the best wheel I've ever owned by a long way.
 
As many have said, if you can afford it go for the G25. I considered the Fanatec 911 but I thought it didn't look quite as solid as the G25. Also, a minor point but on the G25 you can switch between 6-speed gate and sequential gear with the twist of a knob. I understand that with the F-911 you get two gear levers and have to swap them physically.

I guess the downside with the G25 is you can't use it on your lap but if you are going for more realism you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway.
 
G25 easily, best wheel ive ever had, Im interested to know how chilichoke did that mod to his pedals It looks rather appealing
 
The one considerable disadvantage of the G25 is that you have zero reachable buttons while driving. There are two little red ones which are on the wheel, but unless your body is wildly different than any other human (say, and extra set of thumbs growing out of your wrist), you simply won't be able to use them while driving. I just today modified my wheel so I can activate those buttons with my thumbs, but whoever designed it in the first place was obviously an idiot.


I have no trouble with the two buttons what so ever, easy to reach with my thumbs, check Chillicoke's video post and note how close his thumbs are to the buttons in the natural position.


It should be noted that Chili Coke's pedal set is *highly* modified. He can even heel-toe, which is absolutely impossible with adult-sized feet on the stock pedal set. I even have a hard time just doing left-foot braking on my G25 pedal set (which is modified for added resistance and added tilt, but which is otherwise pretty much stock).


and I also I have no trouble heel-toeing with my pedals (stock) and I have adult feet.


You say "zero reachable buttons while driving" and "absolutely impossible" to heel-toeing like it is fact, obviously not everyone is the same...




Oh and to the original poster, G25 no doubt if you have the spare money, if not DFGT is a very good wheel for a bargin price.
 
Last edited:
I have no trouble with the two buttons what so ever, easy to reach with my thumbs, check Chillicoke's video post and note how close his thumbs are to the buttons in the natural position.

and I also I have no trouble heel-toeing with my pedals (stock) and I have adult feet.

You say "zero reachable buttons while driving" and "absolutely impossible" to heel-toeing like it is fact, obviously not everyone is the same...

Oh and to the original poster, G25 no doubt if you have the spare money, if not DFGT is a very good wheel for a bargin price.

Hmmmm. Maybe my estimate of average size is just a bit off. :) I'm technically just a little tall for a North American (6' 1"), and only wear size 11s, but even in socks my feet just barely have enough room to even do left-foot braking. Heel-toe is totally out because the pedals are all at the same height. I'll eventually modify the pedal set to be more realistic, but it is a matter of time. I've had the G25 since it was first released, and I haven't found time yet :indiff:

When my hands are at 9 and 3, my thumbs are no where near those buttons. I have to curl them in strange ways to reach, which is really difficult to do in the middle of bend, for example.

I also find the Six-axis controller to be close to unusable though, so I guess my opinion of size is just off.

Regardless, if you are even a little bit on the tall side, you may have minor fitment issues with the G25. It is still far and away the better wheel.
 
Last edited:
I'm 6'3" and can left foot brake fine, even tho I rarely do as I don't like it and can also heel-and-toe, not very well, but its not to do with my big feet but more my timing and precise and accurate pressure applied to the accelerator. Could it be your feet are much wider than mine/others?
 
Hmmmm. Maybe my estimate of average size is just a bit off. :) I'm technically just a little tall for a North American (6' 1"), and only wear size 11s, but even in socks my feet just barely have enough room to even do left-foot braking. Heel-toe is totally out because the pedals are all at the same height. I'll eventually modify the pedal set to be more realistic, but it is a matter of time. I've had the G25 since it was first released, and I haven't found time yet :indiff:

When my hands are at 9 and 3, my thumbs are no where near those buttons. I have to curl them in strange ways to reach, which is really difficult to do in the middle of bend, for example.

I also find the Six-axis controller to be close to unusable though, so I guess my opinion of size is just off.

Regardless, if you are even a little bit on the tall side, you may have minor fitment issues with the G25. It is still far and away the better wheel.


I am 6' 3" and size 14(US), no problems at all.
 
g25 for the win, i didn't had that money so i got a dfgt and it is very great, for gt5p it's great. never played f1ce with it yet, but i play also on pc and it does the job great.

as for f1ce i would love to use the H-shifter is that possible? yes i know in these days f1 use pedel shifters, but well in the early 90's they didn't and there are very great movies of Senna etc on board racing and shifting.... I know that's off-topic.

G25 is one of the best, but like me who couldn't afford it DFGT is a great deal and worth the price!
 
Here's a question... the clutch on the G25 - is it like an on-off switch, or does it actually simulate a clutch?
 
Here's a question... the clutch on the G25 - is it like an on-off switch, or does it actually simulate a clutch?

GT5 uses it as a button, but the Logitech profiler shows it as a progressive axis, as do many racing sims.

So the G25 simulates a clutch.


Only slight problem for me with the G25 is the shifter & clutch could have a little more resistance. Although, in all honesty it is all down to trial and error, personal preference ect.
 
I assume if you use the paddle shifts on the G25 then you don't need to use the clutch. But what if you are using the stick in sequential mode, can you choose whether to operate it with OR without the clutch? What about when you use it in H-gate mode, can you use it without the clutch there if you so wished?
 
F1CE is very poor to play with the G25. It kinda floats off left and right when going in a straight line. I use the controller for F1CE and G25 with playseat for GT5P.
 
Here's a question... the clutch on the G25 - is it like an on-off switch, or does it actually simulate a clutch?

A switch, unfortunately. This is a problem with GT5p though, not with the G25. They simply haven't programmed it properly to support the clutch.

You can choose to use the gated shifter but skip the clutch. I'll do that sometimes since the clutch is so poorly done (again, this is a problem with GT5p, not with the wheel itself).
 
Back