Steering wheel choice , please help !!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 43 comments
  • 3,095 views
A switch, unfortunately. This is a problem with GT5p though, not with the G25. They simply haven't programmed it properly to support the clutch.

You can choose to use the gated shifter but skip the clutch. I'll do that sometimes since the clutch is so poorly done (again, this is a problem with GT5p, not with the wheel itself).



Thats a shame, since the whole 'clutch/realism' debate we're having is negated by the fact that with an on/off clutch you don't have the problem of finding the bite point & such, hence artificially speeding up gear changes.
 
Thats a shame, since the whole 'clutch/realism' debate we're having is negated by the fact that with an on/off clutch you don't have the problem of finding the bite point & such, hence artificially speeding up gear changes.

I know some people can supposedly shift faster using the clutch than they can with the paddles or using the 6-speed clutchless. I can't. I'm just too used to the way a clutch is supposed to function and have found it nearly impossible to get used the way this is programmed. As a result I frequently miss-shift when using the clutch. It was a little better during the Spec I era, and I did use the clutch more then, but my times with it are always worse than without it.
 
If you read all of this, the G25 would be crappy for you if you only use it for a couple of games. It doesn't work good on that one game you mentioned, the clutch or h-pattern shifter doesn't work on GT 1,2,3,4 and if isn't good on GT5:P. Don't waste the money!
 
I use a DFGT it works great on GT5P & F1CE my only little complaint is the brake pedal sometimes at the beginning of a race the first time you try to use brakes they wont work, I can avoid that prob if I can remember to touch brakes before I really need them. I have never used the G25 but the DFGT has great feel to it no play or dead spots,I dont think I would really like gated shifter anyway use r1 r2 buttons on DFGT.
 
If you read all of this, the G25 would be crappy for you if you only use it for a couple of games. It doesn't work good on that one game you mentioned, the clutch or h-pattern shifter doesn't work on GT 1,2,3,4 and if isn't good on GT5:P. Don't waste the money!

I disagree.

I bought the G25 for GTR2, but ended up using it for GT4 as well. After I got the PS3, I used it exclusively for GT5: P.

The larger wheel and padded shifter are more comfortable to use. The current clutch situation, while not ideal, does not break the game. I'm definitely looking forward to full clutch simulation in GT5.

However, the OP needs to see how often he plans to play with the wheel. When I first got the DFP, GT4 became a nightmare. It took months to relearn and become good at racing with the wheel.
 
I disagree.

I bought the G25 for GTR2, but ended up using it for GT4 as well. After I got the PS3, I used it exclusively for GT5: P.

The larger wheel and padded shifter are more comfortable to use. The current clutch situation, while not ideal, does not break the game. I'm definitely looking forward to full clutch simulation in GT5.

However, the OP needs to see how often he plans to play with the wheel. When I first got the DFP, GT4 became a nightmare. It took months to relearn and become good at racing with the wheel.
I'm saying that the G25 isn't worth it for only 5 racing games it doesn't even work well on. It would be kinda annoying have a clutch pedal for nothing. Its much cheaper to get a DFP for 80 bucks instead of a G25 for 275. If I played all the racing games in the world I'd still buy the DFP, much cheaper, the g25 is way overrated and overpriced.
 
While the MSRP for the wheel is $299 USD, most people don't pay that much. I got mine for $199 CAD which was roughly $199 USD.

A used DFP is a killer bargain if you can find one though. I sold both of mine for $75 each.

edit: Does the DFP support GT1 and GT2? I think GT3 doesn't support 900° mode.
 
Last edited:
Used a DFP before I got my G25. While the DFP is a great wheel for the money, the G25 is well worth the extra cash & very reasonably priced (if you can get it for around $200US) for the quality of what you get.

I have no problem with F1:CE with the G25.
 
A switch, unfortunately. This is a problem with GT5p though, not with the G25. They simply haven't programmed it properly to support the clutch.



Thats not true it is not a switch (on/off syle), it actually does have a engaging 'window' but yes it is fairly small, I have done a few tests and you can slip the clutch all you want you just need to be delicate as the engage window is small.
 
Wow...cool thats some cool info I haven't found anywhere else!:dopey:
Maybe that window can be expanded a littel more in the future updates.
Rusty*
 
I've got the DFGT. I like being able to play with the TCS and ABS during the race.
 
Thats not true it is not a switch (on/off syle), it actually does have a engaging 'window' but yes it is fairly small, I have done a few tests and you can slip the clutch all you want you just need to be delicate as the engage window is small.

Yes, that is correct. But to clarify, that window is very, very, small. It isn't anything like a clutch should be. At least for me, for racing purposes it is just a switch. There's no way I'll be able to modulate the clutch the way it is during an actual race. Muscle-Memory and many years with real clutches is dictating what my left-foot should do on a clutch. I do hope PD fixes this eventually.

I realize that I may often sound a bit negative about the G25 in this thread, but overall I do like the G25 very much. It is night-and-day superior to the old DFP.
 
Last edited:
Having just upgraded from an ancient GT Force to a DFGT I'm impressed. It's solid bit of kit. No doubt the G25, Fanatec etc. are of higher quality, but the DFGT is far from being cheap and nasty. The wheel feels good in my hands, the FF gives good feedback and the pedals are precise enough. In particular, the brake pedal is streets ahead my my old GT Force. With my old pedals I had to leave ABS on 1, there just wasn't enough control for threshold braking. Not so with the DFGT. I thought the quick tune dial was just a gimmick, but within a few laps I found myself tweaking the brakes to get the balance right now I'm not using ABS.

Would I buy another? It's early days, but so far I'd happily recommend it. Much better than a cheapo Mad Katz wheel or the bottom-end Logitech wheels and just about any FF wheel is streets ahead of using a controller.
 
Back