Steering wheels?

• Thread starter Szuper
  • 39 comments
Szuper
What is the best option? I mean, is this Thrustmaster T500 compatible to PS4 and GT7?

Is the PS4 and GT7 supported fanatec steering wheels?

(I do not want to buy it if it is not compatible PS4 and GT7.)

My Logitech G25 is very old and worn :lol:

There is only one wheel that is going to be made for the PS4, for now. It is the Thrustmaster T300RS. It was mentioned on the GTP news board awhile back.

I'm tremendously eager to buy a new wheel, but I think I'm going to wait until PD announces GT7 and the official support to it.
If the T500 is compatible, like it should it be, then that will be my choice. Until that, I'm waiting and playing GT6 with my DFGT :)

Its up to the developer to which wheels are suppoorted. All PS3 wheels work on the PS3 its just up to developer to add support for the wheel. If the developer doesnt add support for Fanatec wheels then you are out of luck.

Its up to the developer to which wheels are suppoorted. All PS3 wheels work on the PS3 its just up to developer to add support for the wheel. If the developer doesnt add support for Fanatec wheels then you are out of luck.

I think you mean PS4 but you're right. There's nothing about the PS4 hardware that is stopping PS3 wheels from working.

The logitech wheels may not work with the PS4 UI yet, but they definitely could in the future. Even if they don't work with the UI, they still can work in the games. Developers just need to support them.

I had a few games on PS3 where my DFGT wouldn't work properly. The PS button didn't work, and I'd have to use the controller for certain things.

It could be the same way on Ps4, but Driveclub apparently have been too lazy to support the most popular wheels in existence, and so far, pCars has been as well.

If anyone can get it done though, it's Polyphony. Keep in mind, all the PS2 wheels worked on Gran Turismo on PS3. They have a habbit of supporting all the wheels that have been supported by the series.

I think it's likely that GT7 will support the logitech wheels. SMS and Evo Studios are just dropping the ball.

Unless SMS supports my DFGT, I may not even buy pCars.

I think you mean PS4 but you're right. There's nothing about the PS4 hardware that is stopping PS3 wheels from working.

The logitech wheels may not work with the PS4 UI yet, but they definitely could in the future. Even if they don't work with the UI, they still can work in the games. Developers just need to support them.

I had a few games on PS3 where my DFGT wouldn't work properly. The PS button didn't work, and I'd have to use the controller for certain things.

It could be the same way on Ps4, but Driveclub apparently have been too lazy to support the most popular wheels in existence, and so far, pCars has been as well.

If anyone can get it done though, it's Polyphony. Keep in mind, all the PS2 wheels worked on Gran Turismo on PS3. They have a habbit of supporting all the wheels that have been supported by the series.

I think it's likely that GT7 will support the logitech wheels. SMS and Evo Studios are just dropping the ball.

Unless SMS supports my DFGT, I may not even buy pCars.
Logitech is out of the console peripheral business. Expecting them to spend time and money to get their wheels supported on any next-gen console is illogical. If Sony doesn't facilitate it happening it likely won't. Besides, this isn't an individual game thing, peripheral drivers are made for the console, not the game. If a wheel works for GT it'll work for Drive Club and Project Cars and any other game. SMS can pursue Logitech all they want, but they can't force them to become a Sony approved supplier and can't force them to make the drivers, nor can PD or anyone else.

Nope up to Sony, Fanatec said Sony requires a License (which they have no problem with)to sign but so far there is still an undisclosed issue (Exclusive License with Thrustmaster or the fact Sony are forcing wheels to have a share button have been floating around). Either way Fanatec from their own words want to play ball, Logitech I'd imagine will follow suit.

logitech wheels won't work. alreardy sold mine. They also explained (a security chip for usb needed inside the wheel.. or something like that) why and there is no way they will work. Also fanatec wheels won't work in fact fanatec has just released a new wheel for next gen.

Project cars presented its wheels comptability list and logitech are out. Also in drive club wheel list, logitech are out.

I know it's a pity, particularly for those spent a lot of money on g25 and g27.

logitech wheels won't work. alreardy sold mine. They also explained (a security chip for usb needed inside the wheel.. or something like that) why and there is no way they will work. Also fanatec wheels won't work in fact fanatec has just released a new wheel for next gen.

Project cars presented its wheels comptability list and logitech are out. Also in drive club wheel list, logitech are out.

It's a pity about the Logitech Wheels, but not an issue with the PC of course. Here's a review of the T300RS. It's only one review and the pedals do suck, but it looks like the wheel itself could be a force to be reckoned with.

"The feedback itself is the best I have ever experienced outside of industrial motorsport simulators. Most sim-racing wheels for the home never quite feel real. This is because you can feel the mechanisms inside the wheel through your hands as the forces kick in. This is commonly described as a ‘notching’ sensation and is mostly associated with gear-driven systems, but most belt-driven wheels aren’t super smooth either. This is where the T300 RS leads miles ahead of the chasing pack. Forces are delivered so quickly and so smoothly, that you feel constantly immersed and connected to the road. You are never thinking about the wheel mechanism, because you can never feel it. This is the best force feedback currently on the market."

USB keyboard and mice don't have that security chip yet they work with PS4. Sounds like a bunch of bull if you ask me. If every device that PS4 supports doesn't have that security chip then the logitech wheels shouldn't need it either.

USB keyboard and mice don't have that security chip yet they work with PS4. Sounds like a bunch of bull if you ask me. If every device that PS4 supports doesn't have that security chip then the logitech wheels shouldn't need it either.
True, USB is an industry specification, as such, there in no allowance for such a chip. It would be against the law for a manufacturer to add one and then use the USB name or logo as their device would not be in compliance.

Thrustmaster T300 hasn't gotten the best reviews, and it doesn't even have a clutch... I'm really hoping for a new wheel release before GT7 is released.

Thrustmaster T300 hasn't gotten the best reviews, and it doesn't even have a clutch... I'm really hoping for a new wheel release before GT7 is released.
I've only seen 2 and both were good. Got a link to these less than stellar reviews?

Got a link to these less than stellar reviews?

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the video I seen, but maybe I should rephrase a bit. The review didn't had anything really terrible about the wheel, but he did say that the pedals weren't the best, and the wheel was more suited for beginners, also that there are some features missing that were included with the higher end PS3 wheels.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the video I seen, but maybe I should rephrase a bit. The review didn't had anything really terrible about the wheel, but he did say that the pedals weren't the best, and the wheel was more suited for beginners, also that there are some features missing that were included with the higher end PS3 wheels.
I guess I read the same reviews as @Johnnypenso.
FF seems to be the best of all existing wheels.
The shifters/flippers now move with the wheel. It is personal, but I don't really like that. It was the main reason I replaced my G27. It turned out I liked the T500RS much more than the G27 (logitech)
You can still use the T500RS pedals, which are better than the ones available for the T300.
I'm hoping my set will keep working on PS4...

I'm a drifter, so shifters attached to my quickly spinning wheel aren't exactly ideal for it's purpose. Now you can understand my pain :lol:

THIS.

I always get annoyed whenever someone mentions paddles not moving with the wheel as a negative. Why would you want them to? When they're stationary, they're always in the same place which is a lot more convenient than them possibly being swapped in mid turn. I don't do a lot of drifting but the little bit I have made me realize that attaching paddles to the wheel just isn't a good idea at all.

THIS.

I always get annoyed whenever someone mentions paddles not moving with the wheel as a negative. Why would you want them to? When they're stationary, they're always in the same place which is a lot more convenient than them possibly being swapped in mid turn. I don't do a lot of drifting but the little bit I have made me realize that attaching paddles to the wheel just isn't a good idea at all.
^ this.

I don't ever drift (on purpose) but I want my shifter paddles stationary too...

THIS.

Thank you!!!
If you think about it... does it really make sense to put paddles on the wheel? I mean, if your wheel turns 180 degrees, your paddles are now backwards, what if you shift down accidentally? Sounds like trouble to me. I prefer a gear box in one place, seems more sensible in my opinion. One place, one function.

Thank you!!!
If you think about it... does it really make sense to put paddles on the wheel? I mean, if your wheel turns 180 degrees, your paddles are now backwards, what if you shift down accidentally? Sounds like trouble to me. I prefer a gear box in one place, seems more sensible in my opinion. One place, one function.

More realistically, what if your hands are at 90deg (i.e. straight up and down) mid corner and you want to change gears and there are no paddles there to reach?

I prefer paddles that are fixed to the wheel for this particular reason because this occurs regularly like grabbing a taller gear mid corner to control wheel spin or on a tightening radius turn drop it down a gear to slide the back end out a little to increase turn in.

Also my Fanatec GT2 wheel does not turn that far as I run about 270deg lock to lock so the swapped paddle scenario cannot occur. Also next time an F1 race is on have look at the cockpit view. How do their paddles work???

More realistically, what if your hands are at 90deg (i.e. straight up and down) mid corner and you want to change gears and there are no paddles there to reach?

I prefer paddles that are fixed to the wheel for this particular reason because this occurs regularly like grabbing a taller gear mid corner to control wheel spin or on a tightening radius turn drop it down a gear to slide the back end out a little to increase turn in.

Also my Fanatec GT2 wheel does not turn that far as I run about 270deg lock to lock so the swapped paddle scenario cannot occur. Also next time an F1 race is on have look at the cockpit view. How do their paddles work???

Valid points, I suppose it's fair enough to say that having paddles is of personal preference. I only drift, so paddles are no good for me, but in your situation I might give them a shot.

As for your mid corner without paddles scenario, you simply reach over to the gearbox and change gears.

Also next time an F1 race is on have look at the cockpit view. How do their paddles work???
Right, And how many degrees do F1 pilots have to turn their wheel ?

The Thrustmaster T500RS paddles are big enough to be in reach, wherever your hands are... at least I never miss.
You can set the T500 wheel for lesser rotation (in which case the paddles fixed to the wheel would pose a lesser problem), but while you have to repeat that each time you start a new race, I don't bother any more, except for offroad races/seasonals...

My first wheel (g27) had the paddles fixed to the wheel and I misshifted countless times.

No. It's a hell of a lot easier to reach the paddle with one of your hands than it is to realize your wheel is upside down mid turn. The latter is a much bigger problem than what you've mentioned.

Haven't you seen the paddles on the T500? They're enormous. There's no way you can't reach those paddles with your pinky finger.

F1 is irrelevant because their wheels don't turn 900 degrees. I think they only have 200 degrees of steering. It's below 360 I know that

Back