Still more MINIs on the way.... Coupe pantent drawings are out.

• Thread starter Philly
  • 434 comments
Remember it's just a concept, although MINI has a habit of turning their concept ideas into a reality.

MiniCC_banner.jpg
So badass.

Y'know, the Mini Marcos had a longer, trailing-out rear end. Maybe going Marcos would help the way this thing looks.

I dunno, I just feel like they could have done the rear entirely different and had a much better-looking car. It looks like they compromised between having a hatchback and a shooting brake, and it didn't turn out well. I think its the way the rear windows are that make it look so strange.

I dunno, I just feel like they could have done the rear entirely different and had a much better-looking car. It looks like they compromised between having a hatchback and a shooting brake, and it didn't turn out well. I think its the way the rear windows are that make it look so strange.
Aren't you one of the guys who wants the Mini to be cheaper? As if the new roof doesn't add dolla bills, they might as well go ahead and redesign the whole thing, right?

Aren't you one of the guys who wants the Mini to be cheaper? As if the new roof doesn't add dolla bills, they might as well go ahead and redesign the whole thing, right?

Meh. Being picky is my job.

I wonder what happens to the headroom in there.

Well the regular Cooper has quite a bit of head room in it so I can't imagine it's awful in there...although I doubt many people over 6'0" could fit real well. But then again with no rear seats there is probably a ton of room in the front.

Is that a two-seater? Looks fresh as hell except I can't imagine fitting in there unless they put the front seats far back.

It's still got a problem with being too shoooooooort...[/whine]

Does help the flow of the roof a bit, but...meh.

I agree with the edit, makes it look better. Either that or the could extend the roof colour all the way down the rear pillar.

===

Oh and there are leaked photos of the convertible too.
mini.concept.2.500.jpg

Last edited:
now...the convertible makes SENSE. IN fact, combine the ideas, make it like the Peugeot CCs...

I disagree that the edit improves it. The concept may look a little odd, but it has a bit of character. The side view if anything is the least successful view too, I reckon from front angles it actually looks pretty good. I'm glad they've given it some fairly normal headlights...I was expecting something weird like those on the upcoming crossover.

I'd bet that it will morph a bit by the time it hits production. Its pretty much a JCW Cooper S with a new hat, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe my hopes were up just a shade too high?

Who knows... If MINI pulls this one off (they will), we could see a major growth in the affordable sport coupe market. And that would be perfect for me.

To me, I like that new Mini Cooper coupe. Looks a whole lot better than that SUV deal. I still prefer the classic Mini hatch from the 21st and 20th centuries than this coupe. But this coupe is about the best-looking Mini "spinoff" (if you will) I've seen. I still think the coolest small coupe ever is the Suzuki Cappuccino. Now that I see these other pictures, I'm skeptical about the rear windshield design. Almost like that little overhang is its own spoiler. I think this coupe design will be better for a proper convertible or roadster. Of course, if you want a real small roadster, get a Miata/MX-5.

Eesh. I don't see how this is doing anything that the hatch doesn't already. It just seems like a lot of compromise just to look goofy. Get playing around with a targa style (they're already halfway there with the coupe shape) and then we're on to something, not to mention the variety of canopy technologies being employed already. It could retain the quirkiness that this current concept has with the flexibility of open-top driving. I always liked the Smart series of cars because of the use of such small dimensions while still providing the driving experience of more than one vehicle type, maybe these guys could also look for that little niche.

Eesh. I don't see how this is doing anything that the hatch doesn't already. It just seems like a lot of compromise just to look goofy. Get playing around with a targa style (they're already halfway there with the coupe shape) and then we're on to something, not to mention the variety of canopy technologies being employed already. It could retain the quirkiness that this current concept has with the flexibility of open-top driving. I always liked the Smart series of cars because of the use of such small dimensions while still providing the driving experience of more than one vehicle type, maybe these guys could also look for that little niche.

I really like the targa top idea, I think that would work well for the car.

I think BMW is just out to use the same platform and sell a "new" car. It'll work and they'll make truck loads of cash off it, and have relatively low development costs.

It'll work and they'll make truck loads of cash off it, and have relatively low development costs.

But what about production costs? Besides sharing chassis and drivetrain, there's a lot of new tooling and line changes that would need to be made. It's not like MINI has been the poster car for production efficiency either.

Mini wasted their money. Worst idea ever?

Just make a package like that for the hatchback and be done with it.

I'm not crazy about the "coupe" concept.
But then, I'm a big guy.
Unfortunately, I'm a big guy with a long torso and short legs.
So...While I fit perfectly well in a standard Mini, and a Clubman, I think the roof on that will be too low.
It also takes away one of my favorite things about the MINI.
My America could carry 4 people and their (soft) luggage for a weekend.
The MINI is good bit BIGGER meaning that the Clubman should be able to do the same.

As far as the handling there is a video at www.WebRidesTV.com called Mini Clubman S vs. Go kart.
Definitely worth checking out.

Back