Still more MINIs on the way.... Coupe pantent drawings are out.

• Thread starter Philly
  • 434 comments
We'd be happy to have them come to Michigan, we could use the jobs right now.

And oh, by the way, they should consider getting a dealership signed on here in Grand Rapids. I'd love to work for them...

They've made mention of coming to America but it looks like it's going to be South Carolina (source:http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/30/mini-monte-to-be-built-stateside/).

I bet you see more Mini dealers start popping up around the country as the car gets more popular. BMW has a decent dealer network in this country and it would be easy to tack on the additional brand.

They've made mention of coming to America but it looks like it's going to be South Carolina (source:http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/30/mini-monte-to-be-built-stateside/).

I would guess BMW won't expand past that for a while. It is much cheaper to build the car at an existing plant than go and build a new one. But the question is what capacity Spartanburg is running at.

I bet you see more Mini dealers start popping up around the country as the car gets more popular. BMW has a decent dealer network in this country and it would be easy to tack on the additional brand.

The MINI IS popular. And of course, nothing is stopping them from selling the car at existing BMW dealers and doing what Toyota did with Scion. But then again, the MINI dealers are just tacked on to the BMW ones. The one in Seattle is just an extra parking lot next to BMW Northwest.

I would guess BMW won't expand past that for a while. It is much cheaper to build the car at an existing plant than go and build a new one. But the question is what capacity Spartanburg is running at.

Probably higher then BMW would like, I don't understand why they just don't keep the building in Europe since that is where the bigger market is for them. Small cars are just becoming popular here. Believe me I'm all about giving Americans jobs and I would love to see a Mini plant here in the states...it'd be like a pilgrimage...but looking at it from the point of view of BMW I don't see why they would.

The MINI IS popular. And of course, nothing is stopping them from selling the car at existing BMW dealers and doing what Toyota did with Scion. But then again, the MINI dealers are just tacked on to the BMW ones. The one in Seattle is just an extra parking lot next to BMW Northwest.

This is correct, Motor City Mini is attached to Bavarian BMW here in Sterling Heights however it is a separate wing of the building and is only attached by the service bay drive. It was the same way in England when I saw a Mini dealer, the one on Park Lane near Marble Arch was connected to a BMW dealer as well.

Probably higher then BMW would like, I don't understand why they just don't keep the building in Europe since that is where the bigger market is for them. Small cars are just becoming popular here. Believe me I'm all about giving Americans jobs and I would love to see a Mini plant here in the states...it'd be like a pilgrimage...but looking at it from the point of view of BMW I don't see why they would.

I would assume it is more economical to build a car where it would be sold. Maybe it would make sense for them to make another plant and have a few different lines going to produce different cars? I'm sure that would take down a lot of shipping costs, but the price of building a whole new facility might not make up for it.

Sharpe BMW was supposed to get a MINI dealer shortly after the brand debuted here in the US, but nothing ever came up of it. Thing is, they're not even authorized to perform service on Coopers, which is outrageous, considering that the nearest dealer is about three hours away (Chicago or Detroit, take your pick).

...Doesn't mean we shouldn't have one though...

Looks like they are in the process of coming up with a sleeker coupe version of the Cooper.

MotoringFile
MF Exclusive: MINI Coupe to be Named Broadspeed?
p1.jpg

Now that BMW has given the green light to the R56 based speedster and coupe project, design and engineering has officially begun. As reported on MF in June, MINI will be debuting the speedster (officially as a concept) at the Frankfurt autoshow this Fall. In fact we now have some confirmation that the car that was sent down the line at the Oxford plant with only two seats was in fact meant to be the basis of either the actual concept car or an internal design mule. So things are certainly in motion at MINI.

In addition to design commencing, marketing has now started work on the car. The first step, a name. The speedster will likely be called (as you might have guessed) the MINI Speedster. However for the coupe MINI has taken inspiration from a previous coupe model and is tentatively calling it (you heard it here first) the Broadspeed Coupe. For those who don’t recognize the name, the Broadspeed racing team campaigned Mini Coopers in the mid-60’s with some success. But more importantly (and more relevant to the topic at hand) they also manufactured their own version of a Mini racer meant for the street with the 1966 Broadspeed GT Coupe based on a Mark 1 Austin Mini Cooper 1275 S. This car (pictured above) featured a sleek coupe shape that gave it the nickname, the Mini Aston. After some initial manufacturing issues, the cars quickly became known (especially the GTS model) for their incredible performance and sleek looks. Some claimed they had too much power for the street with 90 hp.

While the name isn’t entirely final, we believe BMW is currently working on rights and finalizing the marketing and pricing strategies for coupe as well as the speedster. Sources from a couple locations around the world have been adamant that car will debut before the speedster likely in early 2011 and be positioned as MINI’s most hardcore offering to date in JCW form. However it would seem more appropriate for the speedster to debut initially with the coupe following it a year later. Regardless, the original plan called for the coupe to be a JCW only product. But with efficiency regulations and gas prices likely on the rise by then, MINI will likely offer the coupe in Cooper, Cooper S and JCW form.

Both the coupe and the speedster will be based on the R57 platform and will be the last MINIs to use the current drivetrains – effectively lengthening the life-span of the engines by 5-6 years.

So why a speedster and coupe you ask? Reportedly it was a relatively cost effective way for MINI to develop enthusiast center products to help counter the upcoming release of such cars as the R60 Countryman and the R65 SpaceBox. Look for more both on the coupe on the speedster in the coming weeks.

I don't know if I hate this idea or love this idea. At least it's keeping with the small car image that MINI is supposed to represent and a lot of people love small coupes. This seems like the kind of car to take on the MX-5, although a couple of tests have said the Cooper S is on par or slightly better than the MX-5, which doesn't surprise because Mazda forgot what made the Miata a great car to begin with...light weight and simplicity.

I wonder how big the market is for something like this?

While this thread is now 2 years old. I have to add one more thing that nobody seemed to say in the early days of this thread.
Back in the day, MINI was not a brand unto itself.
It was an Austin motorcar. One of many. The Mini, America, The Healey, and many others come to mind.
I once owned an America, and though powered by the "big" 1275CC motor, it was a HORRIBLE car. While I loved mine, I know it was a crapper because instead of buying parts, my old man bought more complete non-running cars to supply parts. I remember pulling the engine numerous times to replace pistons, and other bits.

Now if BMW wants to design, and market a "new" Healey Clone, I could go for that.
By the same token, if I ever decide that a MINI is enough car for me, I'll be buying a Clubman. That extra 6 inches means a smoother ride. I'm not a 9/10ths kinda guy for handling. So the extra weight won't bother me, and the car is still very nimble, and reasonably quick in the "S" versions.

That said, we don't need a bunch of poorly conceived design studies. Keep that which works.
But I'll Still take a Healey remake with a BMW Twin turbo I6...

I know this is an old thread, but people seem to be forgetting that in over the old Mini's life, particularly in the first 10 years or so, we got the "normal" saloon, the Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet (same car, different grille), the Clubman saloon and estate, the estate, the van, the pickup, the Moke, and the convertible. Then there was the Minis modified by other companies, such as the aforementioned Marcos and Broadspeed, to name but two. People may complain about BMW milking the MINI brand, but BM have still only got about half the bodystyles that Austin/Morris, BMC etc. managed by the same point in the original Mini's time. If anything, they're staying true to the original Mini!

A 4x4 Cayman? Interesting...

Contrary to my hateful OP in this thread, I don't think this'll be to bad of an idea anymore. In fact, it might end up being kinda cool. But a MINI SUV? Ehhh....

I don't know if I hate this idea or love this idea. At least it's keeping with the small car image that MINI is supposed to represent and a lot of people love small coupes.

It's about bloody time manufacturers started making small coupes again, to be honest. The tricky thing will be to avoid making it look awkward. Coupes are usually sleek and the "MINI look" isn't one which can be easily made to look sleek. Apart from that Broadspeed Mini in the pic above, most other Mini-based coupes were far removed from the original Mini saloon - I'm thinking Ogle, Unipower GT (my personal favourite) and Mini Marcos, amongst many others. Though they used the running gear and in some cases the interior, the body was usually very different.

This seems like the kind of car to take on the MX-5, although a couple of tests have said the Cooper S is on par or slightly better than the MX-5, which doesn't surprise because Mazda forgot what made the Miata a great car to begin with...light weight and simplicity.

Slightly off-topic but I disagree with this statement. The current MX-5 is still a relatively simple and relatively light car - it still sits in the 1000kg ballpark which is less than most superminis now, apart from (ironically) Mazda's own 2.

Roo
I know this is an old thread, but people seem to be forgetting that in over the old Mini's life, particularly in the first 10 years or so, we got the "normal" saloon, the Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet (same car, different grille), the Clubman saloon and estate, the estate, the van, the pickup, the Moke, and the convertible. Then there was the Minis modified by other companies, such as the aforementioned Marcos and Broadspeed, to name but two. People may complain about BMW milking the MINI brand, but BM have still only got about half the bodystyles that Austin/Morris, BMC etc. managed by the same point in the original Mini's time. If anything, they're staying true to the original Mini!

This is the point I tried to make in the thread about the MINI SUV (this post, in fact). I see absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make different variants because it's no different from what the original Mini was subject to all along.

Meh, if MINI thinks they can make money off it, and have the money to invest, go for it. Capitalize on what's working, because its clearly the MINI brand for BMW. Thing is, I have to wonder if the sport coupe segment is going to be a good one to get into. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, among others all have great options available, or will have new ones soon... MINI will have to justify their high prices to stand out.

More information on the MINI Coupe and MINI Speedster:

MINI Speedster/Coupe Details Leak Out
Through several sources we’ve been able to piece together some details on the forthcoming MINI Speedster and Coupe. The cars will usher in a new chapter in BMW’s plans for the MINI brand. Specifically eschew practicality and versatility in favor of performance with design and engineering choices made to cater to enthusiasts rather than the masses.

From the outside the design will feature aggressive and performance oriented cues meant to set the tone. The car will be based on the R57 but will be further massaged with a wider track for more cornering stability. Wider wheel arches will do the job of covering all the rolling bits up while giving the car a sporty look.

mini_roadster_schulte_image_photo_leaderjpg.jpeg

Headlights will be adapted from the more raked look seen in the Traveler and Crossover concepts and will curve into the wider grille. As we’ve already reported the windshield will be slightly more raked and lower than the stock R57 design.

The Speedster will feature a twin buttress top with integrated rollbars that cover the convertible top. This means two seats, no more. The trunk (yes, the speedster will have a conventional trunk) will have a short deck before it turns downward towards the tail-lamps. We’re told the rear lights are close to what is currently on the R57 but look for a larger rear (faux) air intake area.

The interior will be largely carried over from the 2010 refresh that we’ll see late this winter. However MINI intends to create a range of unique trim and color options for both the Coupe and the Speedster. Sources are telling us to look for brights colors such as orange, gold, light green and a GP like grey/blue.

The coupe (we so want to call this the “Coopster”) will be essentially the same car with a fixed roof similar to what the original Mini Broadspeed had. The roof will be sloping and a relatively low rounded side window not too far removed from the last generation BMW M Coupe. Considering the basic structure is the same as the Speedster, the Coupe will only seat two.

But why a coupe? Obviously low initial engineers costs were a bit bonus considering MINI was already developing the Speedster. But in addition to that BMW was inspired by the notion of the small coupes from the 1980’s (the CRX and MR2) and even the Ford Puma from the early 2000’s (sold outside the US). And it makes sense considering our current economic climate. With buyers looking to downsize in price, size and upgrade efficiency, BMW is looking to capitalize on enthusiast moving from larger sporty coupes. It also gives BMW yet another vehicle in the family with decent efficiency and low CO2 output.

MINI had seriously considering making the Coupe a JCW only product but pricing and production concerns have softened that stance. However MINI will limit initial model range to an S and JCW model only. Look for a Cooper and a Cooper D version later in the production run.

Speaking of production, BMW will have the speedster and coupe manufactured outside both the Oxford plant in the UK and the Magna Steyer facilities in Austria (where the R60 is being produced). The body in white (the industry term for the chassis) will be created at Oxford and then shipped to the final production location.

The idea is simple. Take the current MINI platform and make it more unique, more sporty and more of a personal statement. A perfect idea in our eyes.

It's only an artists rendering, I don't think anyone had actually photographed the real thing yet.

So MINI is building a Celica? Or a Scirocco?

I'm game. Just, uh, make it cheaper. Please.

So MINI is building a Celica? Or a Scirocco?

I'm game. Just, uh, make it cheaper. Please.

Come on Brad, this is BMW we are talking about here, you know it won't be cheap because you are paying for the name. Although you and I can both hope that they come to their senses and offer something cheaper. Really if you could get a nicely equipped one for under $20K I'd be pretty happy. It's not going to happen but I'll dream.

And I think it's more along the lines of a VW Eos to be honest. I have to imagine they are doing a folding hardtop too, you know to be chique.

Yeah, MINI knows they can charge whatever the hell they want because it is a MINI. And no one has anything like it. My guess is that once that market is flooded next year with solid competition, maybe, they'll figure out a way to give us a little bit of room to work with.

Oh, and I thought this was a fixed roof for some reason. Hmm. I'm not sold with a vario roof.

Yeah, MINI knows they can charge whatever the hell they want because it is a MINI. And no one has anything like it. My guess is that once that market is flooded next year with solid competition, maybe, they'll figure out a way to give us a little bit of room to work with.

Oh, and I thought this was a fixed roof for some reason. Hmm. I'm not sold with a vario roof.

The problem is small cars from Europe are going to be on the market, but they are going to be expensive. The 500 isn't going to be cheap, or at least that's what I'm being told, nor is the MiTo. Premium small cars are always going to be expensive and people are always going to buy them...hey look I did. I agree though BMW is either going to have to get more innovative with the MINI brand or re-examine it's price.

And as far as I know there will be a hard top and a drop top version of the car.

Well Audi manages to sell a $35,000 Golf fairly well, I imagine BMW will have no trouble selling a pretty cool little niche-mobile for much more than it's worth.

Looks like we'll know sooner, rather then later, what this thing might look like.

Motoring File
The MINI Speedster Concept to be Unveiled Next Week
In a surprise move BMW will be unveiling the MINI Speedster concept on the web before it makes its public debut at the Frankfurt IAA motorshow. Because Frankfurt will be such a massive show for BMW (the most debuts ever planned for a single show) BMW has pushed out the virtual debut of the car by a few weeks. However keep in mind that the speedster will truly be a concept vehicle much like the Traveler from 2006 and the MINI Crossover from 2007.

We’ve also been told be a couple sources to expect an official unveiling of the Countryman R60 crossover over the web later this week as well. If the official go-ahead is given, look for all the images and specifications right here on MF the second we’re allow to show them.

So be sure to check MF early and often over this week.

Now We Know What it Looks Like

mini-coupe-concept-01.jpg_cd_gallery.jpg

mini-coupe-concept-03.jpg_cd_gallery.jpg

mini-coupe-concept-05.jpg_cd_gallery.jpg

Hmmm. I both love it and hate it at the same time. The rear just looks wonky, but the idea makes sense. Do a cheap version of it with the standard engine, and I could be up for it.

The MINI isn't something that does coupe well methinks. That front end is amazing but the roofline and awkward shape are just :yuck:.

I like it to about the door handles. I know it's a MINI, but the rear could do with some lengthening, and the roof is really funky.

The only thing I don't like is how the roof comes down a bit and abruptly stops. Past that I think it's a rather cool idea. To bad it will be costly though.

I'm going to my dealer's MINI 50th birthday bash today, maybe someone there will know whether or not it's coming to the Detroit auto show. I'd like to see this in person.

The car simply doesn't work as a fastback, not without an extra foot of length. The MX3 was about as small a coupe, proportionally, as you could get.

Here's another image for you all:

MiniCC_banner.jpg

I quite like it, actually. Cautiously. Even if the roof looks like someone wearing a baseball cap backwards. The rear end could do with being longer too, and giving it round rear lights or something to make it look less like the hatch with a bit cut off.

I don't know if anyone could photoshop this for me, but I reckon it might look good at the back with a light strip running across the bootlid above the licence plate well. Something like this, but better:

minicoupeedit1.jpg

Just to differentiate itself a little. Not all MINIs have to look the same, BMW...

Oh, and it needs a black JCW accessory grille. It looks daft with the painted grille slats.

EDIT: I'm just glad they did something interesting with the roof. I was really expecting just to have a MINI with a sloping roof.

The issue with the car is that it's not particularly ugly, but more awkward, like a...um...teenager.

I know I shouldn't like it but I love it! Quirky beauty is what I would call it. It's funny that I like it seeing as I was never a big fan of the normal versions.

Back