Stop calling complete different cars duplicates.

• Thread starter Sezu
  • 88 comments
Japan
Japan
Stop calling complete different cars duplicates.

I know I know they are both R35 GT3s but that means nothing to the 3D artist, everything that's geometrically different needs to be modelled and textured from the ground up, from different body panels to fuel tank caps, these things don't just zap into exsistence or morph from one to another just because you think they look similar. I also wished we'd get newer GT3 car like the 720S GT3 or the bently continental but the MY18 R35 is defenitly not a copy and paste duplicate. Cedits due where credits due.

Actual geometric commonalities between 2 models: less than 10 percent, it's a complete new model.

526C3147-BC68-46CF-B03F-AEE7F430EDA1.jpeg

8BDBBD31-E77A-41CC-A154-2475BD515E77.jpeg

Gran Turismo® 7_20221020175112.png

Gran Turismo® 7_20221020175215.png

Izumo-class Destroyer_.jpeg
Izumo-class Destroyer__1.jpeg
Izumo-class Destroyer__2.jpeg
Izumo-class Destroyer__3.jpeg

Gran Turismo® 7_20221020175203.png
Gran Turismo® 7_20221020175237.png

JAL Hangar No_ 2_.jpeg
JAL Hangar No_ 2__1.jpeg
JAL Hangar No_ 2__2.jpeg
JAL Hangar No_ 2__3.jpeg
Salar de Uyuni_.jpeg

Last edited:
Sad LFA noises
For sure. I get that cars in past games should be automatic. Especially with Toyota as the de facto brand in GT lore.
That 2020 model is the same as 2018 from outside , most upgrades are inside
Not just that. GT sport could have utilised that car. Heck, another game even brandished the red GT ACADEMY(PS Academy) livery when Gran Turismo itself didn’t bother to have it. It’s all the unanswered-never-will-answer questions.

Sure, modelling is a long and strenuous process, and it isn't as easy as pressing ctrl+c and ctrl+v. However, what is the point of having these borderline identical cars when there are many other cars of many different brands which could be put in its stead? Or hell, bring back older cars from past games that fans are clamoring for. Some older station wagons, the LFA, R390 or the Speed 8 Bentley?

Don't get me wrong, this new GT-R looks fantabulous, and massive props to the modelling team for creating such a gorgeous car model, but I feel like Polyphony could've invested resources and time into creating something a little... different? It's not exactly a radically different design from the other GT-Rs we have in the game.

Last edited:
They may not be a copy and paste but they are definitely very similar cars that will have shared an underlying model during creation. I can fully understand why people are angry about it.
I'm pretty sure that's not the workflow, PD either got the CAD data from nissan or laser scaned the 2018 car, probably both

Building from the exsisting 2013 model is kinda like taking the long detour when PD is trying to be museum level accurate

Sure, modelling is a long and strenuous process, and it isn't as easy as pressing ctrl+c and ctrl+v. However, what is the point of having these borderline identical cars when there are many other cars of many different brands which could be put in its stead? Or hell, bring back older cars from past games that fans are clamoring for. Some older station wagons, the LFA, R390 or the Speed 8 Bentley?

Don't get me wrong, this new GT-R looks fantabulous, and massive props to the modelling team for creating such a gorgeous car model, but I feel like Polyphony could've invested resources and time into creating something a little... different? It's not exactly a radically different design from the other GT-Rs we have in the game.
Exactly. Clearly as these images illustrate there are many small differences in the models but they are ultimately still two very similar looking Nissan GT-R GT3s. In fact, if they have modelled the new one from scratch it's even more frustrating, because that means it has taken just as long as modelling any completely new vehicle instead.

I really can't see there being that many people who are massively excited about having a slightly updated GT-R, which is still old, compared to how many people would have been excited to see a totally new car. But, PD have their sponsors to think of, clearly.
And that's precisely why it takes a couple of years to get a Windows 10 Skyline, when the Windows 11 model came out not too long ago.
..and even more frustrating, you can't even see most of the detail they've spent so long on since it's not all visible in cockpit view and they still don't let us photograph interiors. So except for some promo shots like the OP, we'll never see the detailed welds and cables the modeller spent so much time on. The mind constantly boggles with PD.

I'm pretty sure that's not the workflow, PD either got the CAD data from nissan or laser scaned the 2018 car, probably both

Building from the exsisting 2013 model is kinda like taking the long detour when PD is trying to be museum level accurate
If they decided to laser scan the 2018 model and build it from that then that makes the decision to add a 2018 GTR even more mind boggling as that time could have instead been spent adding an entirely new vehicle...

..and even more frustrating, you can't even see most of the detail they've spent so long on since it's not all visible in cockpit view and they still don't let us photograph interiors. So except for some promo shots like the OP, we'll never see the detailed welds and cables the modeller spent so much time on. The mind constantly boggles with PD.
I like to think the genesis of all of this is the fact they used an actual 1/24 (or 1/64, too lazy to look it up) model for the GTR in 2010.

Kaz was probably so embarrassed, he made it a lifelong mission to get a 1:1 copy of real life.

Last edited:
I mean, if you can't tell the difference without looking at high res photos side-by-side then they should've spent their time doing something else, IMO. If you're anything like me, you're watching the 13 model spin on the screen, then squinting at the TV as the 18 model is spinning looking for differences. And, this new one is 600k and not the 450k like most of the others.

You know what's easy to tell the difference on? The 458 GT3 and the 488 GT3; C7 GT3 and C8 GT3; McLaren 650 GT3 and McLaren 720 GT3.

Could've been worse but should've been better.

Last edited:
You know, all this talk about museum quality models made me think how some models are just awful.

Take the S2000. A direct CTRL+C & CTRL+V from Sport, with the low-poly back window.

PD could have added pretty much any Nissan/Nismo model they wanted but chose a model that is still very similar to the last one atleast as far as appearance.

If they added a model such as the R32 Group A, R33 LM, R390, R391 LMP .etc there would have been next to no complaining about it as with the exception of the R32 all of those are vastly different to any Nissan currently ingame.

They could have offered this as an upgrade package rather than a separate car.

It would also be a nice feature to have upgrade packages that change the car to the next version

Ferrari fxxk evo does not need to be a separate car just make it a upgrade package for the Ferrari fxxk that can be purchased from the shop.

Last edited:
I did the car justice , thankfully there are talented people out there bless them :)
View attachment 1202160View attachment 1202161
That looks great! That would be the gen 2 GT3, ie the one currently in the GT3 series? As far as I can tell we got the 2018 version that was available for sale to the public, which as far as I can tell is the gen 1 with a lower center of gravity and better weight distro.

I assume it would have cost PD a couple of bucks to bring the current GTR GT3 into the game, and god knows they can't afford that! lol. Great work on that livery though, for real!

That looks great! That would be the gen 2 GT3, ie the one currently in the GT3 series? As far as I can tell we got the 2018 version that was available for sale to the public, which as far as I can tell is the gen 1 with a lower center of gravity and better weight distro.

I assume it would have cost PD a couple of bucks to bring the current GTR GT3 into the game, and god knows they can't afford that! lol. Great work on that livery though, for real!
Yea i like said before this one is the 2018 version but its not that far from the actual version
also i didn't make that livery (forgot the name who actually made it) i only did those photos :D

Last edited:
Back