Stop calling complete different cars duplicates.

• Thread starter Sezu
  • 88 comments
This is GranTurismo. People will complain and say this or that is the way, but GT has always been this OCD like on something, and then just dull on others.

I love it for it.

I think it’s more of a stretch to call two cars of the same make and model “completely different cars”. They may not be copies, but at the very least seem to be a bad use of resources if both cars took an equal amount of work to add to the game.

Other cars where this logic can be applied:
  • RC F GT3 Proto '16 vs RC F GT3 '17 (was one year old when added to GT Sport; a FIA-finalized model, to boot)
  • R8 LMS '15 vs R8 LMS Evo '19 (also worth noting the Evo II kit for the newer R8 LMS are available as GT Auto parts)
(Not the M6 GT3s though, since they are same year - while one could say the fog lights for it could be GT Auto parts instead, GT Auto was not a thing in GT Sport.)

You know, all this talk about museum quality models made me think how some models are just awful.

Take the S2000. A direct CTRL+C & CTRL+V from Sport, with the low-poly back window.
This is just false. It's a much better model, at least on PS5, with much higher resolution textures everywhere.

To post proof, have a look at it and tell me what part is low-poly, because I didn't find it...

Gran Turismo® 7_20221020144556.jpg

Gameplay Pic

Willow Springs International Raceway_ Big Willow_.jpeg

Zoomed in on Photo Mode, you can see this is plastic and not glass.. PD has the best material rendering out now.

Willow Springs International Raceway_ Big Willow__1.jpeg

Take a look at this quality... it's actually so high poly I'm surprised.

Are you sure it's not a different car??

All that modelling effort ... for a car that over 90% of the playerbase is not going to care about how much "effort" it took PD to make a car that is pretty much the same as an already existing one in the game.

If anything, I call this: "A PERFECT WASTE OF RESOURCES"

Last edited:
That looks great! That would be the gen 2 GT3, ie the one currently in the GT3 series? As far as I can tell we got the 2018 version that was available for sale to the public, which as far as I can tell is the gen 1 with a lower center of gravity and better weight distro.
Technically, this is the 3rd Generation of this car as there was also the 2015 car before it:

1666290590372.png

I assume it would have cost PD a couple of bucks to bring the current GTR GT3 into the game, and god knows they can't afford that! lol. Great work on that livery though, for real!
Honestly, the 2020 car (the latest version) is basically an Evo update to the 2018 car that's mostly internal so you wouldn't be seeing too much a difference.

Here's an example as it appears in 2022:
1666290789304.png

for a car that over 90% of the playerbase is not going to care about how much
Isen't that the case for must tho? Which cars can you say are used by the majority of the playerbase?. This is a case Polyphony can't possibly win . Some people complained about the ID.R saying its a VGT, some complain because the Skyline is old and slow, some compare the Marek to the De Tomaso Pantera because they are both MR Italian sports cars. But even when PD does something people ask for (in this case bring a newer GT3) car people complain because it looks similar to the older model.
a car that is pretty much the same as an already existing one in the game.
Thats incorrect.

Some people complained about the ID.R saying its a VGT,
The issue with the ID.R was the lack of relevant events to race it, as well as EV battery wear/capacity issues to lesser extent. For the VGT part, you're referring to the Porsche VGT Spyder that was released on the same update.
But even when PD does something people ask for (in this case bring a newer GT3) car people complain because it looks similar to the older model.
Other issue that has been pointed out is about the car being supposedly outdated (4 years old as of now, though the revised 2020 model is 2 years old and only has internal changes).

Isen't that the case for must tho? Which cars can you say are used by the majority of the playerbase?. This is a case Polyphony can't possibly win . Some people complained about the ID.R saying its a VGT, some complain because the Skyline is old and slow, some compare the Marek to the De Tomaso Pantera because they are both MR Italian sports cars. But even when PD does something people ask for (in this case bring a newer GT3) car people complain because it looks similar to the older model.

Thats incorrect.
This is some hard coping coming from you.

It doesn't matter what the 10% (And I'm being generous, since there's just no way anywhere near 10% of a game's playerbase like Gran Turismo has these kinds of people) of "purists" or "enthusiasts" think about the car.

To the eyes of the majority it's just another duplicate, and it can really be so, it has more or less the same tier of PP and is a GT-R R35 with just little different aero bits and pieces.

The Mazda Roadster NR-A is even worse.

They have TENS OF THOUSANDS of cars to choose from to model into the game. And yet they decide to focus their effort on a car that is barely any different than an already existing one in the game.
This doesn't have any other wording, it really is a waste of resources.

Last edited:
Maybe they shouldn't do such slavish attention to detail with their scratch-built (if that's actually what they have been doing) car with minor changes over existing ones (that you frequently can't see due to limitations in what the player is allowed so see) following their long and shameless history of actually adding duplicates to pretend the car lists in their games is higher than it is

Last edited:
But even when PD does something people ask for (in this case bring a newer GT3) car people complain because it looks similar to the older model.

You'll also notice it's the GT-R, a car people already have an inherit bias against because of the whole duplicate debacle with GT5 and GT6 (Same with the Mazda Roadster NR-A despite it being the most recent of the bunch). Notice how no one said anything about the 2019 Audi R8 GT3 (a car that itself is 3 years old) when it was first shown in the Brembo trailer.

Despite there being nowhere near the 50 or so trim levels in GT7 that basically made the bulk of GT5 and GT6, people still get mad seeing ANY GT-R in the game over the same named Hypercar/Sports car/ Current GT3 car that they demand in any current driving game.

Last edited:
The issue with the ID.R was the lack of relevant events to race it, as well as EV battery wear/capacity issues to lesser extent.
This is a legit issue thats why i didn't mention it.
For the VGT part, you're referring to the Porsche VGT Spyder that was released on the same update.
No sadly, people really did and maybe still do call the ID.R a VGT .
Other issue that has been pointed out is about the car being supposedly outdated (4 years old as of now, though the revised 2020 model is 2 years old and only has internal changes).
I don't think this is an issue because according to the Nismo website the major changes are

IMG_20221020_222550.jpg

So stuff the game dosen't take into account anyway .
This is some hard coping coming from you.
How so?.
To the eyes of the majority it's just another duplicate,
Based on the comments i've seen here and on any other social media i have stopped caring about what the "the majority" sayd because they don't know and they don't care to know what makes a car different.
They have TENS OF THOUSANDS of cars to choose from to model into the game. And yet they decide to focus their effort on a car that is barely any different than an already existing one in the game.
Yes thats true but you are upset because a mostly e-sports focused game, with GT3 as "the main stars" as they put it , focused on a modern GT3 car which may boost said manufacturer's chances in the online competitions and after people have being asking non-stop for that?.

You'll also notice it's the GT-R, a car people already have an inherit bias against because of the whole duplicate debacle with GT5 and GT6 (Same with the Mazda Roadster NR-A despite it being the most recent of the bunch). Notice how no one said anything about the 2019 Audi R8 GT3 (a car that itself is 3 years old) when it was first shown in the Brembo trailer.

Despite there being nowhere near the 50 or so trim levels in GT7 that basically made the bulk of GT5 and GT6, people still get mad seeing ANY GT-R in the game over the same named Hypercar/Sports car/ Current GT3 car that they demand in any current driving game.
Exactly this .

Yes thats true but you are upset because a mostly e-sports focused game, with GT3 as "the main stars" as they put it , focused on a modern GT3 car which may boost said manufacturer's chances in the online competitions and after people have being asking non-stop for that?.
GT7 is not a mostly e-sports focused game. It's a single player focused game and was marketed as such. It simply failed big time. This new GT3 doesn't boost any more chances than the previous one in the manufacturer's whatsoever either. It's BoP based...

My claim stands. Waste of resources.

Considering this factor, did the RC F GT3 '17 have the same reception when it was added to GT Sport given the existence of RC F GT3 Proto?

GT7 is not a mostly e-sports focused game. It's a single player focused game and was marketed as such. It simply failed big time. This new GT3 doesn't boost any more chances than the previous one in the manufacturer's whatsoever either. It's BoP based...
Forego the esports argument and then you have the issue of race car roster being outdated. If, say, they add the NSX GT3 Evo, would you see it as a duplicate to the existing NSX Gr.3?

(Also with the GT-R '13/'18, a GT Auto body kit for the '13 car will not work unlike how the 2019 R8 LMS Evo has 2022 Evo II parts in GT Auto)

Last edited:
GT7 is not a mostly e-sports focused game
Based on what has happend since release i have to disagree .
It's a single player focused game and was marketed as such.
EA markets FIFA like its a completely new game every year , Bethesda marketed Fallout 76 as a game with '16 times the detail', marketing dosen't mean anything and thats why almost everybody is upset with this game.
This new GT3 doesn't boost any more chances than the previous one in the manufacturer's whatsoever either. It's BoP based...
Are you seriously disregarding every other aspect of a car's performance ? By this logic why are people asking for the new Huracan the 2015 model should be enough right?.

Last edited:
Man, the amount of gaslighting in this thread is incredible

The 2018 and 2013 GT-R GT3s are vastly different, enough to justify the 2018 model being introduced into the game

Though it’s a 4 year old car, the newer EVO version doesn’t have many major external differences to the 2018 version, if any at all, they’re all on the interior and on the inner workings of the car, so visually it’s essentially the same, and passes as current (even when it clearly isn’t)

Last edited:
Most of the criticism directed at PD regarding this topic is centred on the fact that in previous games and this one, there are too many cars that are the same or very similar model e.g., lots of Civis, Nissan GTRs etc... rather than new or different vehicles e.g., Panoz Esperante, Venturi Atlantique, Lister Storm, Renault Espace etc...

Most people don't want or care for a GTR road car, GTR Gr.3 car, GTR rally car etc...
Most people want proper variety - more manufacturers and cars e.g., the examples I listed above + manufacturers like Holden, Lotus to name a few.

I agree with the TC that the two cars are different but because they're both Nissans and they're both GTRs, the criticism comes out again because when PD have the opportunity to introduce a brand-new car to the series or an old classic from GT1-GT4 era, they elect to introduce a car that is similar to one already in the game.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Mostly e-sport focused game with mostly single player playerbase 🤣
That's right, Gran Turismo sells up to ten million of copies for the most anticipated entries, yet the GT World Tour events get at most a couple of thousand viewers live, the truth is most people don't give a damn, but PD still likes to pretend eSports is the future of Gran Turismo. This also explains all the GT3 cars that make up a ridiculous majority in the car list as well even though none of us play Gran Turismo for them because there are a million other games out there loaded with GT3 cars and the series has always focuses mostly on road cars with a few racing cars from various series added in as well

Considering this factor, did the RC F GT3 '17 have the same reception when it was added to GT Sport given the existence of RC F GT3 Proto?

Funny enough, it hardly had much reaction to it (Though seeing as Lexus has hardly had anything in a GT game, the brand might as well not exist for some people)

Forego the esports argument and then you have the issue of race car roster being outdated. If, say, they add the NSX GT3 Evo, would you see it as a duplicate to the existing NSX Gr.3?

I wouldn't purely because one literally says "GR.3" while the other is the actual GT3 and looks functionally different thanks to it being based on the 2021 NSX Type S (That and it going under the Acura name, which would make it all the more easier to distinguish). Sadly, I wouldn't put it past someone to have the same nonsensical argument towards it being the "Same thing" as someone did with the Subaru BRZ GT300 despite how recent AND completely different inside and out it is compared to its Road car counterpart twins of the current model year AND far different from the previous year versions.

Last edited:
That's right, Gran Turismo sells up to ten million of copies for the most anticipated entries, yet the GT World Tour events get at most a couple of thousand viewers live, the truth is most people don't give a damn, but PD still likes to pretend eSports is the future of Gran Turismo. This also explains all the GT3 cars that make up a ridiculous majority in the car list as well even though none of us play Gran Turismo for them because there are a million other games out there loaded with GT3 cars and the series has always focuses mostly on road cars with a few racing cars from various series added in as well

Precisely...

I'm not bothered by the number of GT3 cars though. They still have their place in the game. They just shouldn't make up for 50% of the big relevant events of the entire game, and on the actual topic itself, we definitely don't need for existing models to receive "updates" because they are outdated.

If we already have the 2013 GT-R GT3, then we simply keep that one and wait for an actual new model to be released to actually replace this one. And not get a stupid aero-lift model, which btw, has less PP than the 2013 one and is even more expensive.
Getting a 488 GT3 on top of the already existing 458 is fair, because we are clearly talking about different cars.
Same with the 720S GT3 and 650S
Same with the 992 GT3-R.
Same with the C8-R.
Why are these versions not added on? When a crap ton of games have them with no issues?

It's still not too bad though.

The Mazda Roadster NR-A was an insult, to be considered a "new car" to this game. By far the worst addition, arguably even a new unique VGT would be better looool.
Which I'm surprised this thread isn't focusing about that. The GT-R quite clearly barely anyone is going to care about it regardless, because again, we already have it in the game in a similar form and function, but it is still a real-life update regardless.

The NR-A is just a Roadster S with the GT Auto parts added on, and has just 2 more horsepower and 20 more kgs of weight. PP is also like 5 apart or so.
So it basically is nothing new, and definitely not exciting at all to add to this game.

Why not add the NB and NC? The NB especially had a lot of fans and would certainly deserve to be in the game to further complete the Miata family. Or instead of this NR-A, why not the actual Roadster Cup Car (the racing version)?

Just who the hell is responsible for these car choices? There has to be a head (other than Kaz) who makes these decisions. And he's doing a crappy job at it.

Last edited:
Precisely...

I'm not bothered by the number of GT3 cars though. They still have their place in the game. They just shouldn't make up for 50% of the big relevant events of the entire game, and on the actual topic itself, we definitely don't need for existing models to receive "updates" because they are outdated.

If we already have the 2013 GT-R GT3, then we simply keep that one and wait for an actual new model to be released to actually replace this one. And not get a stupid aero-lift model, which btw, has less PP than the 2013 one and is even more expensive.
Getting a 488 GT3 on top of the already existing 458 is fair, because we are clearly talking about different cars.
Same with the 720S GT3 and 650S
Same with the 992 GT3-R.
Same with the C8-R.
Why are these versions not added on? When a crap ton of games have them with no issues?

It's still not too bad though.

The Mazda Roadster NR-A was an insult, to be considered a "new car" to this game. By far the worst addition, arguably even a new unique VGT would be better looool.
Which I'm surprised this thread isn't focusing about that. The GT-R quite clearly barely anyone is going to care about it regardless, because again, we already have it in the game in a similar form and function, but it is still a real-life update regardless.

The NR-A is just a Roadster S with the GT Auto parts added on, and has just 2 more horsepower and 20 more kgs of weight. PP is also like 5 apart or so.
So it basically is nothing new, and definitely not exciting at all to add to this game.

Why not add the NB and NC? The NB especially had a lot of fans and would certainly deserve to be in the game to further complete the Miata family. Or instead of this NR-A, why not the actual Roadster Cup Car (the racing version)?

Just who the hell is responsible for these car choices? There has to be a head (other than Kaz) who makes these decisions. And he's doing a crappy job at it.
Mazda probably had a hand with their online event and their representation as an official partner.

Expect something similar with a Genesis VGT.

Based on what has happend since release i have to disagree .

??? Even the diehard youtubers and e-sports players complain about how bad the game is to play online in Sport or Lobbies compared to GT Sport. Have you been paying attention at all?

EA markets FIFA like its a completely new game every year , Bethesda marketed Fallout 76 as a game with '16 times the detail', marketing dosen't mean anything and thats why almost everybody is upset with this game.

You picked two brialliant examples to compare GT7 to... 2 complete garbage games. Just helps my point even further.

Are you seriously disregarding every other aspect of a car's performance ? By this logic why are people asking for the new Huracan the 2015 model should be enough right?.

What other aspect? The car doesn't bring anything exciting whatsoever. It has basically the same Performance Points and it also looks the same with slight aero and to pop it off, it's in the same category to boot that will be affected by BoP.

New Huracan is on the same spot as far as I'm concerned. It's the actual new updated MODEL GT3 cars that people mostly want, such as:

720S GT3
Continental GT3
992 911 GT3-R
C8-R
488 GT3
296 GT3
AMR Vantage GT3
M4 GT3

This is just 8 GT3 cars off the top of my head that are fresh models that are still not in the game. Why did PD not go with any of these instead?
There's no excuse.
Their decision making to appeal the fanbase is atrociously bad.

It gets worse that they also choose other car categories from other eras that have similar performance to Gr.3 cars and consider them as Gr.3 cars. Like some of the current GT300 cars that they can choose from, or the late 90's GT500 (the NSX is still missing), or the older favourites like the C5-R and the Dodge Viper Team Oreca.

They have countless fresh and more exciting models to choose from to add to Gr.3. Yet they decide to give priority to a car that already has a good enough GT3 trim in the game and is literally the same model?
Disappointing...

Last edited:
They may not be a copy and paste but they are definitely very similar cars that will have shared an underlying model during creation. I can fully understand why people are angry about it.
I'm soo angry about it that I actually bought it.

Also I find it hilarious that people want "current" GT3's but as soon as they get one they say that it's "a waste of resources". Are people going to say this if the 488 GT3 comes?

Last edited:
Back