Stop calling complete different cars duplicates.

• Thread starter Sezu
  • 88 comments
I'm soo angry about it that I actually bought it.

Also I find it hilarious that people want "current" GT3's but as soon as they get one they say that it's "a waste of resources". Are people going to say this if the 488 GT3 comes?
They will if the Audi R8 Evo II comes out first. 🤣

Also I find it hilarious that people want "current" GT3's but as soon as they get one they say that it's "a waste of resources". Are people going to say this if the 488 GT3 comes?
Obviously not, it'd be a new car. I'm not really sure what's hard to grasp. We can already drive a GT-R GT3 in the game. It's older, but it's still a GT-R GT3. You could change the year and most people wouldn't notice the difference, because it's the same model of car. There hasn't been any major facelifts, GT-R has looked broadly the same for a decade.

Yes, in the real world the 2018 model is quite different but the GT physics are not detailed enough to notice. Has anyone driven this new model and felt the difference the lower fuel tank has made? No.

We can't drive any 488 GT3. You couldn't change the name of the 458 GT3 to 488 and get away with it, because they're completely different models.

Whilst yes, we do want the current GT3 lineup it's pretty obvious the priority should have been the totally new models first. Then when you're done, add the evolution models of existing cars.

Last edited:

Pretty hilarious how Project Cars 2 was able to get updated GT3s and GTE at the time long before GT.

Compare both SMS and PDs budget. Not really a good excuse.

as someone did with the Subaru BRZ GT300 despite how recent AND completely different inside and out it is compared to its Road car counterpart twins of the current model year AND far different from the previous year versions.
Someone actually did that? 😯
Even the diehard youtubers and e-sports players complain about how bad the game is to play online in Sport or Lobbies compared to GT Sport. Have you been paying attention at all?
You misunderstood me , my point is that dispite what you said being true, like Aksu said:
Gran Turismo sells up to ten million of copies for the most anticipated entries, yet the GT World Tour events get at most a couple of thousand viewers live, the truth is most people don't give a damn, but PD still likes to pretend eSports is the future of Gran Turismo.
And the life cycle thus far shows PD is focused on e-sports, maybe not as much as with GT Sport but still.
You picked two brialliant examples to compare GT7 to... 2 complete garbage games. Just helps my point even further.
No ? Your point was.
GT7 is not a mostly e-sports focused game. It's a single player focused game and was marketed as such.
And the examples i gave show that marketing dosen't mean anything.
What other aspect?
We don't know how deep the physics system is but the engine is further back on the 2018 model, giving a different weight distribution and lower center of gravity. Also the rear suspension is double wishbone instead of multilink.
The car doesn't bring anything exciting whatsoever.
What did you expect machine guns of the roof?.
Why did PD not go with any of these instead?
I would like to answer that question but i am not allowed to talk.
There's no excuse.
Nobody excuses anything.
It gets worse that they also choose other car categories from other eras that have similar performance to Gr.3 cars and consider them as Gr.3 cars.
I totally agree with this point .

They will if the Audi R8 Evo II comes out first. 🤣
The parts for it are there as GT Auto parts for the R8 LMS Evo anyway, pre-empting any complaining. (They also did this with Evo IV RS, Evo V RS [sans wheels on those], pre-TME Evo VI, and S14 K's Aero.)

Why doesn't anyone consider the logistics when saying they want a new car. Apparently PD should have used the 2020 version of the GTR. And they just fall from the sky do they?
Perhaps the version they did was the version they could get hold of and model. Perhaps the latest version is still being used and raced and isn't readily available to sit in a 3D artist's studio for a few weeks.

Yes, like all of us, I'd like every car under the sun available, but how about being grateful for what we've got? Especially when it's given to us for free!

Stop calling complete different cars duplicates.

I know I know they are both R35 GT3s but that means nothing to the 3D artist, everything that's geometrically different needs to be modelled and textured from the ground up, from different body panels to fuel tank caps, these things don't just zap into exsistence or morph from one to another just because you think they look similar. I also wished we'd get newer GT3 car like the 720S GT3 or the bently continental but the MY18 R35 is defenitly not a copy and paste duplicate. Cedits due where credits due.
Can't argue that indeed going from the '13 to the '18 edition of the Nissan requires a huge workload to designers, still they are very similar cars, although not duplicates.

And, as you also mention, there are some absences on the GT3/Gr. 3 contemporary stable, which differ a lot more from the older models, notably the '21 Aston Martin Vantage GT3, the '19 McLaren 720S GT3, the '22 BMW M4 GT3 and specially the '16 Ferrari 488 GT3 (seriously, the F458 was already obsolete when GT Sport was launched, there is a '20 Evo version and, in 3 months time, the new Ferrari 296 will succeed to 488 as the Ferrari GT3 model)
No point arguing about the Bentley, as the brand isn't licensed at the moment.

there are plenty of people out there thinking 3D modelling is like clay art

"we already have the base XXX in the game how much would it take for them to bring the GT3 version"
The issue is they're still similar cars. Even when driving. And from a distance they do look similar. Doesn't really matter if someone calls them a dupe or not. But it does leave poor taste that so far they haven't showered the game with cars each update. Only 3 cars every time the update drops... really? GT Sport had several updates where it was like double the car count. That's the bigger issue here.

Last edited:
The issue is they're still similar cars. Even when driving. And from a distance they do look similar. Doesn't really matter if someone calls them a dupe or not. But it does leave poor taste that so far they haven't showered the game with cars each update. Only 3 cars every time the update drops... really? GT Sport had several updates where it was like double the car count. That's the bigger issue here.
which I absolutely agree, it's not wise for PD to add a car that looks similar to an existing one when the entire car roster is still lacklustre in terms of variety. But saying the my18 GT-R GT3 is a dupe of MY13 is denying the man-hour that went into remodeling pretty much 80% of the car (if not 100%) and an entirely different interior. That's the point I want to make. PD wasn't lazy, it's just poor timing.

Last edited:
Especially when it's given to us for free!
They aren't really though; and PD haven't really been doing so for a decade in the franchise. You're not paying for it because PD has decided for whatever reason that they would rather fund it through other means (almost certainly because it's far more profitable and they have to do quite a lot less work than if they actually had to directly exchange goods for player's money), but the post game-development hasn't been free.

Last edited:
They aren't really though; and PD haven't really been doing so for a decade in the franchise. You're not paying for it because PD has decided for whatever reason that they would rather fund it through other means (almost certainly because it's far more profitable and they have to do quite a lot less work than if they actually had to directly exchange goods for player's money), but the post game-development hasn't been free.

I'd like to think that someone at Sony googled 'most profitable game in world' and then tried implementing shark cards as quickly as humanly possible. "I want a piece of that" they said

Last edited:
Maybe the reason why PD's scraping the bottom of the barrel for new cars is because barely anybody is funding this small indie studio through the massively overpriced MTX packs?

Obviously not, it'd be a new car. I'm not really sure what's hard to grasp. We can already drive a GT-R GT3 in the game. It's older, but it's still a GT-R GT3. You could change the year and most people wouldn't notice the difference, because it's the same model of car. There hasn't been any major facelifts, GT-R has looked broadly the same for a decade.

Yes, in the real world the 2018 model is quite different but the GT physics are not detailed enough to notice. Has anyone driven this new model and felt the difference the lower fuel tank has made? No.

We can't drive any 488 GT3. You couldn't change the name of the 458 GT3 to 488 and get away with it, because they're completely different models.

Whilst yes, we do want the current GT3 lineup it's pretty obvious the priority should have been the totally new models first. Then when you're done, add the evolution models of existing cars.
The 488 is just a 458 with slightly different bodywork. Line them up side by side and you will see similarities, like the 13 and 18 GT-R.

Someone actually did that? 😯
Yes, someone actually suggested that a 2021 JAF GT300 car (Something neither this game had beforehand nor GT Sport had ever) is somehow the exact same thing as both the Toyota version of its road going counterpart AND the previous generation versions when it was so painfully obvious that it isn't. They were THAT mad.

Last edited:
Having many different versions of the same car is what kinda made the old GT games cool in a way...I loved getting the upgraded option bumper on an s15, or the special versions of midnight purple on a GTR. There are actually alot of different versions of the same cars in real life (imagine that ) ..that's why GT did it back in older GT games...I miss finding a unique version of the "same car"

Last edited:
Yes, someone actually suggested that a 2021 JAF GT300 car (Something neither this game had beforehand nor GT Sport had ever) is somehow the exact same thing as both the Toyota version of its road going counterpart AND the previous generation versions when it was so painfully obvious that it isn't. They were THAT mad.
I suppose the timing mattered - it was added in the same update as the road-going second-gen BRZ, the main focus of the duplicate complaints.

Based on what has happend since release i have to disagree
Actually GT7 is far less capable of eSports than GTS was. The lobbies are much more lagging and there's a ton of bugs brought back that was already ironed out in GTS.
I think it's safe to say that GT7 is trying to be both a single.player game and an online multiplayer game with eSports ambitions.

If PD has indeed eSports ambitions it would be wiser to address the lack of GT4 cars in game. The real GT4 cars. And fix the BOP.
Then after that they could update the GT3 class.
This might be the first step towards that, but to me it's a backward way of doing it.
But I don't mind they brought it in.
Hopefully it's not the same people working on BOP and models

Last edited:
I'd feel offended if some one told me the 2018 Nismo GT-R GT3 was the same as the 2013 version. It's an evo, without the term evo.

Let's see how this goes down...

1666478774357.png

Exactly. Clearly as these images illustrate there are many small differences in the models but they are ultimately still two very similar looking Nissan GT-R GT3s. In fact, if they have modelled the new one from scratch it's even more frustrating, because that means it has taken just as long as modelling any completely new vehicle instead.

I really can't see there being that many people who are massively excited about having a slightly updated GT-R, which is still old, compared to how many people would have been excited to see a totally new car. But, PD have their sponsors to think of, clearly.

..and even more frustrating, you can't even see most of the detail they've spent so long on since it's not all visible in cockpit view and they still don't let us photograph interiors. So except for some promo shots like the OP, we'll never see the detailed welds and cables the modeller spent so much time on. The mind constantly boggles with PD.
I think a lot of you guys here missing the point (which is even in the headline): these cars ain’t duplicates so they shouldn’t be called this.

I think a lot of you guys here missing the point (which is even in the headline): these cars ain’t duplicates so they shouldn’t be called this.
And to add on. Drove both '13 and '18 back-to-back, the '18 is just better in every way. Maybe it's to bolster Team Nissan for next seasons GTWS (just my speculation). Now PD, I need my C8 Gr.3 and Gr.4 please :)

Back