Stressful...

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaNTi iTNaS
  • 63 comments
  • 6,318 views
Messages
182
Messages
SAN-Tee
Messages
SaNTi iTNaS
It seems like no matter how hard I try to get a decent drifting session in, I fail miserably. I've seen various tutorials, instructional videos, studied countersteering methods, so its pretty safe to say I know what I should be doing, yet when it comes down to that moment, when you faint and initiate the countersteering, my head just melts, and I notice myself handling the drift like a retard. Sometimes my hands end up inside the G25 holes trying to control the car... lol. I know all there is to it is practice, but I guess I just needed to vent a lil. Anyone else have similar problems?

:crazy:
 
Do you have any videos of you ? that would help a lot to see what your doing wrong
 
Do you have any videos of you ? that would help a lot to see what your doing wrong

I have a few videos of my own gameplay, but non of me where you can see me use the wheel.
 
It seems like no matter how hard I try to get a decent drifting session in, I fail miserably. I've seen various tutorials, instructional videos, studied countersteering methods, so its pretty safe to say I know what I should be doing, yet when it comes down to that moment, when you faint and initiate the countersteering, my head just melts, and I notice myself handling the drift like a retard. Sometimes my hands end up inside the G25 holes trying to control the car... lol. I know all there is to it is practice, but I guess I just needed to vent a lil. Anyone else have similar problems?

:crazy:

Getting your hands up inside the G25 haha....you should post a video, if anything for the humor in that image and for seriousness for analysis of your drifting. We can't help you if we don't know what you are doing wrong.
 
It seems like no matter how hard I try to get a decent drifting session in, I fail miserably. I've seen various tutorials, instructional videos, studied countersteering methods, so its pretty safe to say I know what I should be doing, yet when it comes down to that moment, when you faint and initiate the countersteering, my head just melts, and I notice myself handling the drift like a retard. Sometimes my hands end up inside the G25 holes trying to control the car... lol. I know all there is to it is practice, but I guess I just needed to vent a lil. Anyone else have similar problems?

:crazy:

man i am almost as bad as u. except i have the driving force pro. i just cant get a decent drift session wit it. i down right suck. i can use the ds3 no problem, hell right now i have the record on high speed wit my 599. i have been watching drift tutorials for yrs now. i can even do better driving a real car. but gt just makes me look like a toddler playing wit a rattle when u see the replays of what i come up wit using the wheel. help..... :nervous:
 
Im having a lot of trouble drifting with the G25 too. For example, say im driving into a lefthander, ill turn to the left, accelerate so the tail hangs out, counter to the right and then as soon as I start countering to the left to contine the drift (snake) ill just automatically spin out. :(

Forcefeed back set at 8, steering in professional mode

HELP lol
 
Hmm:odd:...well I dont use a wheel, but I have noticed to do well in Drifting, you really have to have the right line and get the wheels spinning, if they slow down then they gain a greater level of traction and that lets the front pull out. So when I'm drifting I usually make sure I got the right gearing, it can make a huge difference, helps you change up faster so the rear wheels dont hook up. even letting up on the steering a bit and letting the rear weight shift change the direction of the Car can help sometimes.
It's just practice I think;)
 
Hmm:odd:...well I dont use a wheel, but I have noticed to do well in Drifting, you really have to have the right line and get the wheels spinning, if they slow down then they gain a greater level of traction and that lets the front pull out. So when I'm drifting I usually make sure I got the right gearing, it can make a huge difference, helps you change up faster so the rear wheels dont hook up. even letting up on the steering a bit and letting the rear weight shift change the direction of the Car can help sometimes.
It's just practice I think;)

Thats the thing though. Drifting with the controller is easy. Once you use a wheel, you will feel our pain. lol

Props to the people that are sick with the wheel.
 
I'm in the same boat as you SaNTi iTNaS.
Except my hands usually don't end up in the holes of the G25, I need to pry my hands of the wheel with a crowbar!

Usually I just completely oversteer into the rail...

I'm trying to use the clutch on the G25, but maybe its a bit too complicated for a novice like me...
 
Im having a lot of trouble drifting with the G25 too. For example, say im driving into a lefthander, ill turn to the left, accelerate so the tail hangs out, counter to the right and then as soon as I start countering to the left to contine the drift (snake) ill just automatically spin out. :(

Forcefeed back set at 8, steering in professional mode

HELP lol

Hi DriifterX,

I'm no expert with the G25 but I can manage okay drifting slow corners. I would recommend you practise with the Tuned Cappuccino (N1s) on the Forward Eiger course.

On the first "S" corner, I would typicaly start with a feint (actually... all my drifting starts with a feint!!) and is a good corner to practise joining/transitioning from R to L drifts.

Check out my replay on that course (I think its still in the Top 10) under the name GTP_wolfdude. That's how I learn anyway... I looked at the Top 10 replays and then practised, practised & practised... and of course, don't forget to practise... took me about 4 weeks of daily practise before I could drift comfortably with the G25. I started with insane settings on my G25 i.e. FFB at 10 but now I realised that having it lower (I'm at 5 now) will result in a more gentle/smoother actions.

I also do not use the e-brake at all when I started learning but I now find that some car/tire/course combination will require e-brake to initiate the drift or even to keep you sideways... I learned this from an expert drifter online (thanks HUGHS1E).

Anyway... just practise and don't give up... you'll master it soon.

Cheers.
 
Thats the thing though. Drifting with the controller is easy. Once you use a wheel, you will feel our pain. lol

Props to the people that are sick with the wheel.
Yeah ok no worrys, it just doesnt sound right, the wheel should help for all racing, it would be much easier to make precise movements and slowly steer, you know not to be so jerky like controller guys are. I try my best to be smooth using the Joystick on the controller, but sometimes its harder on different tracks. I will hopefully be using a wheel before the next update.
Hope you guys figure out what the problem is,
take it easy;)
 
What you should do to not spin out with when entering the last turn of the "S" curv is to shift up, up, up then down, down, down to make the wheels spin faster again. It's kind of like the substitute of braking as braking can some times cause you to spin out. I use this sometimes. This would wreck the car IRL I say.
Other people drift in really high gears going in a moderate speed. Haven't tried this.

But what you need to do the most is practice, practice, and practice.




Practice.
 
Hi DriifterX,

I'm no expert with the G25 but I can manage okay drifting slow corners. I would recommend you practise with the Tuned Cappuccino (N1s) on the Forward Eiger course.

On the first "S" corner, I would typicaly start with a feint (actually... all my drifting starts with a feint!!) and is a good corner to practise joining/transitioning from R to L drifts.

Check out my replay on that course (I think its still in the Top 10) under the name GTP_wolfdude. That's how I learn anyway... I looked at the Top 10 replays and then practised, practised & practised... and of course, don't forget to practise... took me about 4 weeks of daily practise before I could drift comfortably with the G25. I started with insane settings on my G25 i.e. FFB at 10 but now I realised that having it lower (I'm at 5 now) will result in a more gentle/smoother actions.

I also do not use the e-brake at all when I started learning but I now find that some car/tire/course combination will require e-brake to initiate the drift or even to keep you sideways... I learned this from an expert drifter online (thanks HUGHS1E).

Anyway... just practise and don't give up... you'll master it soon.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice mate. Looks like practice is the key lol Im sure once I have an actual cockpit set up itll help also, you should see how I have it mounted at the moment lol Ill keep at it
 
yay!
i got a really good drift in at the fuji (i find this course is the best because theres a lot of open space), but i havent been able to do it again...:grumpy:
switched to paddle shifting, and its much easier
is everyone going into time trial mode to practice?
everytime i go off the track (which is basically every corner) i get a penalty and its really annoying...

@dking, in one of your many tutorial videos (which i should add, they are fantastic and quite helpful) the cappuccino is the tuned version, correct?
 
practice is definately the key, i just picked up a ps3 2 weeks ago and finally got the download version of gt5p, i'm using the Driving force pro, but i'm sure it's the same as the g25 (besides the clutch/shifting). I was using s1 tires, but i just switched to N2 tires and with the steering assist-on (power-steering) and after more practice, i'm tearing up certain sections that i was failing misserably at. I've drifted in real life, and playing with the dfp it's actually pretty close to the real thing, main difference is you dont FEEL the weight transfer with your body, only through your hands on the wheel. i have the wheel on simulation, ff 5 and power-assist on. I discovered this recipe on the FD rx-7, and it works well with the blitz skyline too. I just got the tuned Cappucino last nite and that thing is also a blast to drift. it's lighter and still under-powered so the transitions are a bit easier, and the throttle control less work, you're on the throttle more to keep it going. :dopey:
 
practice is definately the key, i just picked up a ps3 2 weeks ago and finally got the download version of gt5p, i'm using the Driving force pro, but i'm sure it's the same as the g25 (besides the clutch/shifting). I was using s1 tires, but i just switched to N2 tires and with the steering assist-on (power-steering) and after more practice, i'm tearing up certain sections that i was failing misserably at. I've drifted in real life, and playing with the dfp it's actually pretty close to the real thing, main difference is you dont FEEL the weight transfer with your body, only through your hands on the wheel. i have the wheel on simulation, ff 5 and power-assist on. I discovered this recipe on the FD rx-7, and it works well with the blitz skyline too. I just got the tuned Cappucino last nite and that thing is also a blast to drift. it's lighter and still under-powered so the transitions are a bit easier, and the throttle control less work, you're on the throttle more to keep it going. :dopey:

So you reckon these setting are a go-er:

STEERING TYPE = Simulation
POWER-ASSISTED STEERING = ON
FEEDBACK STRENGTH = 5


Anyone else use these settings? Cheers guys
 
Everyone should start out in the Tuned Cappuccino, and go from there.
 
So you reckon these setting are a go-er:

STEERING TYPE = Simulation
POWER-ASSISTED STEERING = ON
FEEDBACK STRENGTH = 5


Anyone else use these settings? Cheers guys

That's what I'm using currently... seems to work for me ;)

Cheers!
 
Everyone should start out in the Tuned Cappuccino, and go from there.

LOL im using the un-tuned cappucino at this stage, I must say I have a new found respect for this car! An AE86 with some adjustables would be the ultimate car I want for my current 'skill' level of drifting with G25... shame GT5P doesn't have a cult car :(..............yet (hopefully)

Thanks for all you guys help RESPECT
 
i gave it another go last night in the tuned cappuccino and used n1 tires...AWESOME car to drift, it transitions even easier and fealt very smoothe to drive. Definately a good starter car as with the n1 tires on it doesn't snap back/around as quickly or aggressively. when you get the steering down, with the weight transfers, i noticed i was barely fighting the wheel. much easier to steer. seems like it gives u a tad bit more room for inputs/adjustments throughout the drifts. :)
 
Yep that would be right, to start with a low tuned and short wheelbase car. So you can practise on your technique. And perhaps just start with power-over method. It's the easiest IMHO. Don't bother with feint or handbrake entry into a corner until you can hold the drift with power and exit the corner easily.

G25 is a great wheel for that. I bought it recently to replace my old DFP. The clutch comes really handy, when you get so far with your technique, as I missed it with DFP. Still gotta get used to the "feel of the wheel", but anyway, G25 is a really fine thing for drifting in GT5P. I also tried once (for a joke) driving with my racing gloves and it feels great on G25. It gives much better grip for me than with bare hands. It started as a joke and now I just love it. I would recommend trying that, if you can.

Here's a short video of me with a bit of drifting (bare in mind, this was not much special, just a short session for a friend, to show him how it looks to drive with G25 ...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4kUd4fso8

Maybe it helps a bit.

As for settings - well ... I wouldn't recommend power assist on, as it is mentioned above. But that's just more specific personal preference. It just bothers me, as the resistance of the wheel is not the same allways and doesn't give proper feeling of the road, as it is only through the wheel you can feel the road and car in GT5P. The rest is on secondary senses - eyes and ears :).

And sticking your hands inside the wheel? LOL, good one. But I can't say it is kinda hard to know exact position of a G25 during playing. I do some drifting on tracksays with my car and am also in process of building another track car specially for drifting (BMW 3 series Touring with V8 engine ...) and it's for me much easier to know all the time, what is the position of steering wheel than in GT5P. I guess it's just the addition of "butt-o-meter" ;).

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Ive started doing the odd handbrake entry to corners, the g25 clutch makes doing handbrakes awesome, as in a car like the mighty cappucino, you can go clutch; handbrake; foot flat on accelerator; release clutch and handbrake and slide :) Given its a very short slide due to lack of power lol
 
i too have been using the tuned capp.
n1 tires or n2?

@vipersan:
im digging the gloves! maybe i should get a pair :lol:
 
I know. It seemd a big laugh for me at first, but after a few tries it felt just naturally. And I played without gloves all my life on other wheels I have/had (DFP, Momo Force, Momo Racing, Logitech Formula Force, Logitech Formula GP and one home made wheel) and it was just fine. Give it a try and report.
 
Nah I think using the gloves is great. I say whatever helps you perform better go for it. ;)
I watched your youtube Vid, the new wheels look as though they are heaps better than the old wheels. Looks like alot of fun.:D
Thanks for Vid man.
Cheers,
OnlineGT
 
Everyone gets to this point... I was here not so long ago, in your position! But i just kept going i sappose... You'll get into a rut where you can't drift a corner, or you'll drift some corners, but not others... But what you need to think about is you NEED TO PAY ATTENTION ALLOT when your at this point... You'll drift one corner, and celebrate to early by not paying attention, and than you end up in the grassy stuff...
 
I'm able to start a drift properly and to run it till the end of the corner..
but when i want to get back straight.. my car just spins ..
what am I doing wrong?
 
Everyone gets to this point... I was here not so long ago, in your position! But i just kept going i sappose... You'll get into a rut where you can't drift a corner, or you'll drift some corners, but not others... But what you need to think about is you NEED TO PAY ATTENTION ALLOT when your at this point... You'll drift one corner, and celebrate to early by not paying attention, and than you end up in the grassy stuff...

Seems to me I've hit my talent wall.:banghead:
I can get a couple of good drifts in (but these drifts usually end up off the track), but most of the time I spin out (guessing I don't counter steer fast enough).

Does everyone practice drifting in time trial mode?
These friggen penalties are pissing me off cuz I get one everytime I go off the Fuji track (which is basically every corner...):ouch:

I'm able to start a drift properly and to run it till the end of the corner..
but when i want to get back straight.. my car just spins ..
what am I doing wrong?

Although I'm no expert and I could be wrong, I've noticed if you put too much throttle in you'll spin out as you exit your drift.
 
Back